R-Type Final

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

R-Type Final

Post by Despatche »

Sure, why not. It's kinda silly but it loves you! I'm surprised there was never a thread for this until now.

Here's a really informative site, thanks to slateman.
Let's just use the starter ships for now. Those would be the R-9A Arrow-Head (#1), the R-9D Shooting Star (#27), and the R-9F Andromalius (#42). We're also gonna need a board for the RX-12 Cross The Rubicon (#69), for obvious reasons. Don't switch ships mid-game, maybe even delete the other Hangar slots if you want.

Difficulties by request. I'd prefer to just leave it to Human and above, but I think a case can be made for Kids.

Splitting for routes? You betcha! You can mostly get away with that in this game since each route is two stages.
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

DIFFICULTY - SHIP - ROUTE
NAME - SCORE - STAGE (STAGE 2) - MISSILE/BIT - DETAILS
ROUTE is for the three final pairs of stage 6 and 7, while STAGE 2 is for the five different stage 2s possible. See the slateman guide linked above for more details.

Just use the letters for MISSILE/BIT, which you can see on the main ship select screen.

DETAILS is for which console or emulator, which region release, etc.

It's complicated, so here's a good example:

Human - R-9A - Route A
Despatche - 1,234,567 - ALL (2.4) - A-H - US disc+US PS3

1. AngryHina  -   780,491 - ALL (2.1) - A-V - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
2. EmperorIng -   281,101 -  4  (2.2) - A-H - US disc+US PS2
Route B Route C R-9D Shooting Star
Route A Route B Route C R-9F Andromalius
Route A

1. EmperorIng -   362,691 -  5  (2.1) - S-H - US disc+US PS2
Route B Route C RX-12 Cross The Rubicon
Route A

1. AngryHina  -   981,290 - ALL (2.1) - D-V - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
Route B

1. Mero       -   897,066 - ALL (2.2) - D-T - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
Route C
Last edited by Despatche on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Despatche

Re: R-Type Final

Post by Despatche »

If people want me to make this a no miss board, I'd love to. It's cool that this game doesn't have extends, but it's not cool that there's the really long boss timeout in stage F-A. It's just a classic R-Type issue rearing its ugly head, but it's just as annoying as ever.

Also, if anyone wants to just, like, not allow abusing the boss F-A timeout, I wouldn't really be opposed to that either. Not really a way to measure that though, I don't think.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Human - R-9A Arrowhead 01 - 2.2
EmperorIng - 281,101 - 4 (2.2) - A. H. - PS2/NTSC-U

I think I did that right. Partially out of ego/novelty, and partially to see money being put where folks' mouths are. :mrgreen: Decided to post after getting a personal best last night (past the potato bug).

I'm using the "total high score" number that you get out of War Records. Is that the same as the high score? The score results vanished too quickly before I could get a good look at it. I assume so, because they have some other silly stats like "total Force damage" which feels like the aggregate score (force-only?) of ALL your playthroughs, and this number in particular seems suitably low for making it through roughly half (?) the game.
Despatche wrote:If people want me to make this a no miss board, I'd love to.
I think that might be just unduly limiting yourself in a board already that's gunna be limited.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Despatche wrote:If people want me to make this a no miss board, I'd love to. It's cool that this game doesn't have extends, but it's not cool that there's the really long boss timeout in stage F-A. It's just a classic R-Type issue rearing its ugly head, but it's just as annoying as ever.

Also, if anyone wants to just, like, not allow abusing the boss F-A timeout, I wouldn't really be opposed to that either. Not really a way to measure that though, I don't think.
Like EmperorIng said, I think this would be too limiting a way to work around an issue that frankly limits itself by being intensely boring to exploit.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I guess that's fair. I'm just tired of R-Type checkpoint milking, man. Never liked it, not in any game.
EmperorIng wrote:I'm using the "total high score" number that you get out of War Records. Is that the same as the high score? The score results vanished too quickly before I could get a good look at it. I assume so, because they have some other silly stats like "total Force damage" which feels like the aggregate score (force-only?) of ALL your playthroughs, and this number in particular seems suitably low for making it through roughly half (?) the game.
Yeah, that's simply the best score you've ever made with that profile. Recording scores with other ships/routes that don't beat your best might be a problem. Delta and Final don't do very good scorekeeping, but very few games do. More games really oughta have done a results screen after a run, something you could take a picture of. Touhou did that for years, and then... stopped doing that. What a regression.

And let me clarify ROUTE. There are three different pairs of stage 6 and stage 7:

-stage 6.0 -> stage F-A
-stage 6.1 -> stage F-B
-stage 6.2 -> stage F-C

Two whole stages, each. The routes are so wildly different that it's worth splitting, especially with the dumb F-A exploit. It's not like Darius where it's just a single (and usually short) stage with many different routes to it. Basically, this game kinda works like Sonic Wings Limited, but actually less dumb somehow. The only really annoying things are that you have to beat each route to unlock the next, and that you have to contend with that stage 5 jerk more than anyone really wants. (Shooting a certain part of the stage 5 boss is what changes the route. These parts only appear as you beat routes... check the site.)

The real problem is that if you don't actually get to a stage 6, there's no difference. Making a board specifically for scores that don't get to stage 6 are dumb, right? I don't think anyone wants that. So, I think it'd be best if I just put non-clears in the F-A board. Fortunately, your score looks like it would have went to route A anyway. What few submissions I end up getting will likely be like this.

(STAGE 2) is specifically for the five different versions of stage 2, because splitting for those would be really stupid.

It's a mess, I know. But this game is way too big, and to do it any other way would be to insult that. It's a bit like how Thunder Force V and VI have all those difficulties and unlockables. Rest assured that I would make Final very differently.

I'll put up an example. I don't really like doing those, because as long as you have basic information like score, ship, and route, I don't really care how scores are submitted. But it's also nice to have clarification.

If anyone's wondering why the RX-12 has a board, it's because that ship alone has a special stage 3.5 that it plays between stage 3 and stage 4 on any run. This is the only ship in the entire game with such a thing. Speaking of which, the RX-10 and the R-13A, the other Delta ships, are examples of ships I'd be willing to consider for boards, if anyone actually submitted scores for them. Not sure about the Pow Armor.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's a lot of good information- the post and the site.

Human - R-9F Andromalius - Route A
EmperorIng - 362,691 - 5 (2.1) - S. H. - US Disc+US PS2

More improvements and on a new ship. I like the chaser or homing force, whatever it's called; it racks up Dosage pretty quickly, even if its AI isn't the greatest.

Finally I can put a score I'm semi-proud of, so I can finally dick around and try all these other ships I've unlocked. The graphical effects obscuring where I am and bullet hitboxes = not cool. Too many dumb deaths the last few days on the battleship stage because of that. I made it to the [in]famous(?) level 5, which apparently relishes in screen-warping trickery, as long as your speed is high. I didn't get far enough to make an impression. That Dobbie boss though - awesome! First truly "great" boss I've fought thus far. Stage 1 is a little slow but the only way I've found to keep it interesting is trying to kill almost everything with the Force to get a bomb for the boss. It's tricky and can leave you vulnerable in a few spots.

I sure as hell hope I continue to beat my best scores for the future; the only other way of dealing with this dumb score black-out is to record stage-end scores only... since you get to see them. You at least get a total at the end of the game, right? Delta at least does that at a game over, unlike Final.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Human - R-9A Arrowhead - Route A
Perikles - 825,527 - ALL (2.4) - A-H - PAL Disc+PAL PS2 (60hz)

This is my result from a couple years back - score's asthenic to say the least, but I'll submit it for the sake of R-Type completeness, nonetheless. Used the Arrowhead in every stage.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ha ha ha, I was wondering if you'd ever post your scores for this game, as I remember you voicing your displeasure with it. well then again, how many games did you not like and post a score anyway? :wink:

Out of curiosity: How much time did you put into unlocking other ships, if any? Did you feel the need to push through to get to the Tiger Heli, Image Fight, and Gallop's Peace Maker? :mrgreen:
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

EmperorIng wrote:well then again, how many games did you not like and post a score anyway? :wink:
I hereby festively avow to never put any effort into those two godawful ASO titles at the very least - there are limits. :mrgreen:

Facetiousness aside: R-Type Final certainly isn't terrible, I find it wholly disappointing nevertheless. Even if you bring along the expectancy to dance and to pursue peccaries with pardine limers (to resort to Gene Wolfe's fabulous phrase) instead of facing intense, oppressive bio-horror, it becomes rather long-winded after a while, I find. It's comparable to R-Type III's first stage with the major difference being that this applies for the first ~30 minutes of Final instead of the first 5. And if you want to score high, you have to milk certain bosses forever and a half, turning already sedate encounters into sheer penury.

Thus, I decided to just clear the game with the standard ship for traditional reasons, I didn't bother with any other ship or their revealment whatsoever, I don't even know the conditions. I can lucidly see Final as a splendid game for certain tastes; for me, it doesn't have the combination of narrative exigency and fantastic level design (which decidedly facilitates score play) of Delta nor the undistilled, elegant pithiness of I or II nor the occasional grandiosity of III to really interest me in putting more time into it.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Human, Route B, Cross The Rubicon

Mero - 700,065 - F-B (2.1) - D-T - PAL PS2 @ 60hz

When you reach Final B you have to play as one of the crappy Bydo ships, I think it's the B-1D Bydo System α.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Never mind, here's a route B score, and with the RX-12 no less.

Was this a clear? I haven't really done the other routes, so I can't completely tell...
Mero

Post by Mero »

No, I died on F-B. The picture is from a score attack run of F-A that I did afterwards. (No results screen if you game over during the main game).

Could have just took a picture of the total score on the war records screen really.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Thanks for the clarification! Was wondering what that A was there for...
Mero

Post by Mero »

Human, Route B , Cross The Rubicon

Mero - 897,066 - ALL (2.2) - D-T - PAL disc + PS2 @ 60hz

RX-12 is a good ship, the charge shot is great for milking Negus O Shim and it's much easier to score tick points with the force, I can do 75k on the first stage with tick points off the mid boss.

As you can see F-B isn't worth that much (100k of that comes from the boss).
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Baby:
RX-10
AngryHina - 838,505 - ALL (2.2) - A-F - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/baSTdhpBKiQ)

Kids:
RX-10
AngryHina - 829,869 - ALL (2.1) - A-V - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/3efBKclKFKk)

Human:
RX-10
AngryHina - 891,248 - ALL (2.1) no death - A-V - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/gaAf5-nFp-o)

RX-12 Cross the Rubicon
AngryHina - 981,290 - ALL (2.1) - D-V - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/9GL8TIwkVSQ)

R-9A
AngryHina - 780,491 - ALL (2.1) - A-V - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/VqR-jA199J4)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Hi, welcome to the completely empty boards. For now I am afraid to add boards for Baby or Kids, and I am also afraid to add boards for ships beyond those four. Mostly because the boards are empty. There are too many ships in this game. Opening a thread may have been a mistake. Oh well.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Thats understandable ^^

I will anyway post my last scores and if in a distant future some more people post here for different ships, it will possibly get more satisfiing to fill the list ;)

Human:
R-90II Ragnarok 2
AngryHina - 800,021 - ALL (2.3) no death/no dose - A-H - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/zy3OjukXZck)
Human:
R-90 Ragnarok
AngryHina - 777,956 - ALL (2.4) no death/no dose - A-H - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/RYJBq0PH8LI)
Human:
R-13A Cerberus
AngryHina - 823,789 - ALL (2.0) no death/no dose - A-T - PAL disc+PAL PS2@60hz
(https://youtu.be/Ofbl0FOoQx8)