OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FBX

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by FBX »

Fudoh wrote: cleanest way would be a HDMI to DVI+SPDIF breakout box and then a SPDIF to USB audio capture dongle.
That's exactly how I do it in my setup too. I also have an ADC deck that outputs optical Toslink that I run into the USB audio capture dongle for clean analog ripping.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

That's a fair idea - I'd totally forgotten about TOSLINK. That will definitely isolate the noise loops I've been having.

Well, time to save up. Thanks guys!
FBX

Post by FBX »

Finally finished my research on the two major pixel clocks that can be optimally timed in the OSSC for the NEC line of consoles (PC Engine, Super Grafx, etc.) There's obviously the most common mode of 256x240 (some games use varying amounts of the vertical resolution, but horizontal is always 256). Then there's what I've decided to set to "352" mode. Now online documentation suggestions this mode has a max of something around 355, but I didn't find any games that went to that extreme. The closest I found was Forgotten Worlds running at 352x240. This was not an extensive search, so if anyone finds a wider game, I will adjust the profile text accordingly.

The 3rd mode is something like 512x240, which of course would look stupid optimally timed with square pixels. That mode will have to wait for a new firmware preset in the OSSC, where we can have a 1:2 scaling ratio for horizontal versus vertical.

For now here's the web page link again (hit refresh as needed):

http://www.firebrandx.com/osscprofiles.html

And here's a screenshot I took of my work using Voultar's bypass board:

Cheers!

-FBX
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

The Apple IIgs runs a ridiculously high dot clock and delivers a similar stretched picture for its 320x200 (8.19Mhz) and 640x200 (16.36Mhz!) output. Thing is the machine doesn't even take advantage of this, its all wasted on a large border (and gives video scalers everywhere headaches).
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Having a really weird issue with the VP50Pro’s colour with the OSSC.
For whatever reason, when everything is set to 0, the image is extremely dark when compared to the vanilla OSSC output. I have to change the brightness to +80 and the contrast to -15 to get anywhere close.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b52ujgixzsa4 ... t.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwelu14lcgc5l ... o.png?dl=0

First is direct from the OSSC, Second is through the VP50Pro.
It’s not a full/limited HDMI issue, since the black is black on both and everything is set to limited. I’ve triple checked all of that.

Any ideas? It’s really substantially crushed, and I’ve got absolutely no idea why this would be. In addition, if this is known, does anyone have any settings I should set my VP50Pro to to properly pass the colour through?
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

That looks amazing, FBX
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Jademalo wrote:It’s not a full/limited HDMI issue, since the black is black on both and everything is set to limited. I’ve triple checked all of that.
Everything should be set to full, not limited. The OSSC is full range RGB and does not support limited range RGB. You'll be crushing blacks that way.

"black is black on both" is not a good indicator that you're doing RGB range right, it only indicates if you're displaying a limited range signal on a full range output, not the other way around.

That's probably not your only problem though (on my VP50 I have brightness set only to 10+ to account for RGB mismatch, which I have to have on my setup).
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

paulb_nl wrote:I uploaded some videos to compare GBI High Fidelity 480x360 with RGB SCART and Component. I only have a cheap unshielded RGB cable to use with my PAL Gamecube so there is massive interference from the chroma carrier visible. Its also much blurrier than component cables.

With Analog sync Vth 101mV, Analog sync LPF 10Mhz and Video LPF 33Mhz there was only a tiny bit of jitter in the middle of the screen.

RGB cable:
https://youtu.be/E8Nrs6cHBpg

Component cable:
https://youtu.be/hLApXLFYgtI
Harrumph wrote: Currently, ossc can only linedouble this, but paulb has made a custom fw to achieve x3 (1080p), and also a custom optimized mode. He didn’t release this yet though. I assume since ossc is so full now, he had to take some other features out.
Well I just use the non-audio firmware and that still has plenty of space left. Indeed there would have to be something removed from the audio firmware to make it fit.

BTW The Hz on the main OSSC display is not always accurate. If you press Info on the remote and divide 27000000 with the number on the bottom right you get an accurate value.
paulb_nl is there any chance of you releasing this firmware? I'm wanting to do some experimenting with GBI.
NYI

Post by NYI »

Just wanted to see if you guys could provide some help with aspect ratios - I have a Dell U2414H 1080P monitor. I'm playing some RE3 on PS1. I've started in 2x Mode - my monitor offers aspect ratio modes of either 5:4, 4:3, or 16:9.

With the monitor set to 16:9, the image is definitely wider than 4:3. If I set it to 4:3, the picture is too narrow - setting the H. Sample rate to somewhere around 960, and changing the H. Backporch to around 118, adjusts the image to fit the full "4:3" area of the monitor.

My question is, am I going about this the wrong way/screwing with the quality of the image by doing this? It looks quite good!
FBX

Post by FBX »

NYI wrote:Just wanted to see if you guys could provide some help with aspect ratios - I have a Dell U2414H 1080P monitor. I'm playing some RE3 on PS1. I've started in 2x Mode - my monitor offers aspect ratio modes of either 5:4, 4:3, or 16:9.

With the monitor set to 16:9, the image is definitely wider than 4:3. If I set it to 4:3, the picture is too narrow - setting the H. Sample rate to somewhere around 960, and changing the H. Backporch to around 118, adjusts the image to fit the full "4:3" area of the monitor.

My question is, am I going about this the wrong way/screwing with the quality of the image by doing this? It looks quite good!
What you want to be doing is setting your monitor up to where it doesn't try to change aspect ratio at all (i.e. passes the image 1:1 centered and leaves the rest of the screen blank. If you can do that with that monitor, then you want to see if the monitor will allow 4x or even 5x line mode from the OSSC. Then if it does, use optimal timing for 320x240 (I believe this is standard for most PS1 games) and apply the appropriate advanced timings and sampling phase to dial in perfect pixels. That's the ideal scenario anyway.
NYI

Post by NYI »

FBX wrote:
NYI wrote:Just wanted to see if you guys could provide some help with aspect ratios - I have a Dell U2414H 1080P monitor. I'm playing some RE3 on PS1. I've started in 2x Mode - my monitor offers aspect ratio modes of either 5:4, 4:3, or 16:9.

What you want to be doing is setting your monitor up to where it doesn't try to change aspect ratio at all (i.e. passes the image 1:1 centered and leaves the rest of the screen blank. If you can do that with that monitor, then you want to see if the monitor will allow 4x or even 5x line mode from the OSSC. Then if it does, use optimal timing for 320x240 (I believe this is standard for most PS1 games) and apply the appropriate advanced timings and sampling phase to dial in perfect pixels. That's the ideal scenario anyway.
Thanks - I can display 4x and 5x - if I switch to optimum timing for 320x240, I don't get an image on my monitor, but I do if I use optimum 320x240 with 4x. However, parts of the image are blurred - even after switching to the timings listed on the "optimal timings" page of the junkerhq.net wiki:

H.active=320, H.samplerate=427, H.synclen=76, H.backporch=63
FBX

Post by FBX »

NYI wrote:
Thanks - I can display 4x and 5x - if I switch to optimum timing for 320x240, I don't get an image on my monitor, but I do if I use optimum 320x240 with 4x. However, parts of the image are blurred - even after switching to the timings listed on the "optimal timings" page of the junkerhq.net wiki:

H.active=320, H.samplerate=427, H.synclen=76, H.backporch=63
Was that their listing for PS1 320 mode? If so, then you need to adjust your sampling phase to shift out all the blurred pixels. You may lose sync at some point, but keep changing the sampling phase until it comes back. With a keen eye, you can get it perfect (provided again your monitor isn't trying to stretch the signal).
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Nitpicking here, but actually you won't get the "ideal" aspect ratio with optimized mode, since PS does not output square pixels (32/35 in 320px mode).

Not something that will bother most people though.

You are probably seeing correct AR when setting 4:3 on your monitor. The reason it looks narrow is that output of most older console is "near 4:3", usually slightly narrow. The 4:3 was always achieved by display cropping (i.e. overscan).

E.g PS1 320px mode= 320*(32/35)/240 = 1.22

Dot clock for PS1 320 mode lies right inbetween 426 and 427, so some slight bluriness cannot be avoided.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Remember when the early firmware had a slightly wider generic 4:3 aspect ?

Though it was incorrect, it looked very nice for a number of systems, feeling right enough and more 4:3~ish

I really miss it because I couldn't easily get exactly the same thing manually, and I am not a fan of messing with mode lines for hours, just don't really have the patience, there's enough things to configure already besides that IMHO.

I wonder if it could be added back as an optional 'alt generic 4:3' mode some day...it would be a convenience thing sure, but so pleasant.

EDIT: this
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

citrus3000psi wrote:
paulb_nl is there any chance of you releasing this firmware? I'm wanting to do some experimenting with GBI.
Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q45CWw ... sp=sharing

Line2x 240x360 and Line3x 240x360 are added to 384p Proc menu. Line2x 240x360 outputs 1200x720 with default settings. Use these settings for 1280x720: H.active 256, H backporch: 24, Hsynclen: 18.

This also includes the 512x240 optimized preset.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

paulb_nl wrote:Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q45CWw ... sp=sharing

Line2x 240x360 and Line3x 240x360 are added to 384p Proc menu. Line2x 240x360 outputs 1200x720 with default settings. Use these settings for 1280x720: H.active 256, H backporch: 24, Hsynclen: 18.

Awesome, is that the preset to be used with those oddball-resolution Saturn games, isn't it?

Also, as I always flash the non-audio firmware into my OSSC 1.4, does yours still provide all the features of the latest official release, or did you have to remove anything?

Huge thanks! ^_-
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Galdelico wrote: Awesome, is that the preset to be used with those oddball-resolution Saturn games, isn't it?
Thats right and also for some snes games. Sd2snes menu also uses 512x240.
Also, as I always flash the non-audio firmware into my OSSC 1.4, does yours still provide all the features of the latest official release, or did you have to remove anything?
Another member of the exclusive 1.4 club :D The non-audio firmware has all features. I removed the latency tester from the audio firmware to make it fit.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

paulb_nl wrote:Another member of the exclusive 1.4 club :D The non-audio firmware has all features. I removed the latency tester from the audio firmware to make it fit.
Man, those early days. :D
Massive thanks once more, Paul. I'll try your fw later on tonight.
Harrumph wrote:Nitpicking here, but actually you won't get the "ideal" aspect ratio with optimized mode, since PS does not output square pixels (32/35 in 320px mode).

Not something that will bother most people though.
That's something I came to fully realize just recently, while testing around with the Mega Drive 256p optimal mode. I guess it entirely depends on my current 1080p monitor's scaling limitations - my previous 4K one didn't behave the same way - as there's this weird thing going on with it...

I love optimal Line 2x modes with scanlines. They provide a beautiful, almost analog-like, PQ which I honestly can't do without, especially now, thanks to all the improvements that have been given to sampling and post-processing settings.

Long premise to say that - with the Mega Drive - optimal 256p (according to FBX profile), in Line 2x, at 8:7 ratio results in a way much narrower frame than normal. Line 3x, 4x and 5x all look fine with the same settings: they're still narrow, but exactly as they would look through an emulator. In order to get line-double close to what I see in Line 3/4/5x, I have to manually bump H Active up to 286 and recenter the frame via H Backporch. Since it's an optimal mode, I can measure it's still 2 pixels narrower than it should (1 pixel to each side), requiring H Active to be set to 284, to be 100% spot on.
Point is, if I do so, the frame gets now suuuper narrow, to the point I have to manually switch the monitor from 4:3 to 'full' (16:9), to rectify the issue. There must be some sort of logic I'm missing, there, because it really gets back to pixel-perfect proportions, looking identical to Line 3/4/5x, in terms of aspect ratio.

Now, here's what else I tried, which kinda opened my eyes a bit: with H Active still set to 284 (and the frame looking extra narrow, as explained above), I simply brought the OSSC's 256p aspect from 8:7 back to 4:3, and here we come to the 'ideal ratio' argument you brought up.
I may attach some pictures, if anyone cares, but my point is: while the frame is now indeed wider than before (due to now-square pixels, vs. previously square pixels), games look like I vividly remember they'd do on my CRT TVs and monitors. They don't feel stretched or too 'fat', but Keio sprite is no longer crushed and Street Fighter/Fatal Fury characters gained back their chunkiness.
Fun fact: I remember reading reviews of MD/SNES Capcom ports on magazines, back then, and writers complaining about graphics looking 'slimmer' than the arcade originals, and me thinking 'What the heck are these guys talking about? They look so nice and bulky on my TV!' You never stop learning... :D

All that said, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if what I'm seeing is basically the picture Xyga posted above: I've done back and forth quite alot, and in the end I decided to stick with the 4:3 setup, as it looks more natural to my eyes.

Edit - Apologies for the longest waffle ever, guys. ^^;
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Line2x 256 optimized is a special case because it outputs 768x480 so the monitor has to scale that to a 4:3 aspect and squish it horizontally or else it would look too wide. Line3x,4x,5x output 4:3 & 16:9 resolutions so there is no need for changing the aspect ratio.

If you set 8:7 ratio then the OSSC outputs 512x480 in a 768x480 frame so the monitor needs to display that without changing the aspect ratio or it will look too narrow as you described.

It sounds like your monitor is not always respecting the aspect ratio setting if you see such big differences between H.active 286 and 284.

Currently 512x240 optimized line2x outputs at 512x480 so you might have some more flexibility with that. 512x240 still looks razor sharp with 256x240 content on a SNES.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

paulb_nl wrote:Line2x 256 optimized is a special case because it outputs 768x480 so the monitor has to scale that to a 4:3 aspect and squish it horizontally or else it would look too wide. Line3x,4x,5x output 4:3 & 16:9 resolutions so there is no need for changing the aspect ratio.

If you set 8:7 ratio then the OSSC outputs 512x480 in a 768x480 frame so the monitor needs to display that without changing the aspect ratio or it will look too narrow as you described.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks alot for explaining.
It sounds like your monitor is not always respecting the aspect ratio setting if you see such big differences between H.active 286 and 284.

This is most likely the case. Even though that's the only occurrence of odd behavior I've ever encountered, so far, it already proved to be pretty limited scaling-wise (scanlines look awfully uneven above Line 3x, while Thomago's and Xyga's 1080p monitor performed flawlessly, in that regard).
To be more specific, the aspect ratio blows up when I switch from 285 (which only leaves 1 pixel column on one side that I can't mask, that's why I used 286) to 284.
Currently 512x240 optimized line2x outputs at 512x480 so you might have some more flexibility with that. 512x240 still looks razor sharp with 256x240 content on a SNES.
That sounds fantastic. Can't wait to do some tests!
rezb1t

Post by rezb1t »

paulb_nl wrote: Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q45CWw ... sp=sharing

Thanks for sharing the firmware! I think I might have a bug report. I'm using the aud version you posted with my v1.6 OSSC, and I'm seeing some weird vertical lines in Metroid Fusion when using GBIHF in 360p mode, with output set to 3x. 2x optimized output looks completely fine and is free of artifacts.

Here's a video demonstrating the effect, the R in the Metroid logo shows it in particular, unfortunately I couldn't upload it to youtube because reencoding makes the effect harder to see

I'm using a gcvideo_lite outputting scart, and I checked with Extrems first to make sure this isn't a GBI bug, he said it looked like something the OSSC was doing. I tried both --format=hd60 --scan-mode=non-interlace,clock2x,size2x and --format=hd60 --scan-mode=non-interlace,no-clock2x,no-size2x
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

After some testing, I believe it's pretty much my monitor that is doing something odd. It doesn't actually output any picture/display anything, at your 512p preset, in Line 2x.
Other video modes work just fine - but 256p optim. at 8:7 ratio already looked perfect in Line 3/4/5x - it's just line double that seems to clash against some quirk of my display.

That said, not a huge deal: I tried again FBX 256 optimal profile for the Mega Drive, 8:7 aspect ratio, and the monitor set to 'full', instead of '4:3'. This combination gives me the best PQ and natural proportions, out of all those that I tried so far. I'll post some pictures later.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Can you try to set H.active to 640 and reduce H.backporch with 512x240 optimized in line2x? The 512x480 output resolution might be too low for your monitor.

I assume it works correctly in line3/4x?
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

paulb_nl wrote:Can you try to set H.active to 640 and reduce H.backporch with 512x240 optimized in line2x? The 512x480 output resolution might be too low for your monitor.

I assume it works correctly in line3/4x?
Just tried it out, but no luck, unfortunately. Line 2x 512 optim. still outputs no picture, no matter if I change sampling settings as per your suggestion. Line 3/4/5x 512 optim. modes all work fine.
I also noticed how H Samplerate at 682 isn't perfectly aligned - and this happens with all working modes - and still produces a jittery column at about the middle of the screen. Moving it up to 683 solves the issue for the most part, as a faint flicker persists to both left and right edges of the frame (I tried to get rid of it by adjusting sample phase, but I couldn't find the soft spot).
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Having an issue with my VP50Pro flashing when trying to use 3x mode. Used to work absolutely perfectly, but ever since I updated to 0.81-aud it just flashes like crazy. Only 5x works now for whatever reason. Tried rolling back to 0.77-aud and I get the same issue.

Any ideas or suggestions? Tried nearly every single option on the VP50Pro. Does the same for both SNES and N64.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Jademalo wrote:Having an issue with my VP50Pro flashing when trying to use 3x mode. Used to work absolutely perfectly, but ever since I updated to 0.81-aud it just flashes like crazy. Only 5x works now for whatever reason. Tried rolling back to 0.77-aud and I get the same issue.

Any ideas or suggestions? Tried nearly every single option on the VP50Pro. Does the same for both SNES and N64.
That's definitely odd. I am not seeing that behavior.

What have you tried? It could be so many things.

(I apologise if you already thought of these)*
General troubleshooting ideas:

Try bypassing switches and splitters in your chain.
Unplug the DVDO, wait half an hour, and reboot.
If you're using OSSC profiles, try using the default linex3 generic 4:3.
Try the other output option from the DVDO (Digital/Analog).
Try another 720p source with the DVDO.
Try a different input on the DVDO.
Set the DVDO output to 1080p 16:9 with no overscan, zoom, or underscan.
Make sure cadence detection and prep are off.
Try new cables.
Verify that your power supply matches the DVDO specs
Try a new power supply.

Also, you'll want to mod the DVDO by adding a new additional fan inside. If that isn't an option, give the DVDO plenty of breathing space both above/below on your rack and buy a cooling fan that sits on top (of the DVDO unit). IMHO, the vp50pro can't be used long term with the stock cooling; it will eventually burn itself up.
We apologise for the inconvenience
rezb1t

Post by rezb1t »

rezb1t wrote: Thanks for sharing the firmware! I think I might have a bug report. I'm using the aud version you posted with my v1.6 OSSC, and I'm seeing some weird vertical lines in Metroid Fusion when using GBIHF in 360p mode, with output set to 3x. 2x optimized output looks completely fine and is free of artifacts.

Here's a video demonstrating the effect, the R in the Metroid logo shows it in particular, unfortunately I couldn't upload it to youtube because reencoding makes the effect harder to see

I'm using a gcvideo_lite outputting scart, and I checked with Extrems first to make sure this isn't a GBI bug, he said it looked like something the OSSC was doing. I tried both --format=hd60 --scan-mode=non-interlace,clock2x,size2x and --format=hd60 --scan-mode=non-interlace,no-clock2x,no-size2x
As a follow up, it also seems to break line5x mode with 240p sources, giving those weird vertical lines as well. Stranger, when I updated back to the official 0.81-aud, the lines persisted. But when I downgraded to 0.76-aud the lines were fixed, and upgrading back to the official 0.81-aud worked fine again.

Once I tried to switch over to the GBI firmware, the lines returned. Hope this helps!
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

orange808 wrote:That's definitely odd. I am not seeing that behavior.

What have you tried? It could be so many things.

(I apologise if you already thought of these)*
General troubleshooting ideas:

Try bypassing switches and splitters in your chain.
Unplug the DVDO, wait half an hour, and reboot.
If you're using OSSC profiles, try using the default linex3 generic 4:3.
Try the other output option from the DVDO (Digital/Analog).
Try another 720p source with the DVDO.
Try a different input on the DVDO.
Set the DVDO output to 1080p 16:9 with no overscan, zoom, or underscan.
Make sure cadence detection and prep are off.
Try new cables.
Verify that your power supply matches the DVDO specs
Try a new power supply.

Also, you'll want to mod the DVDO by adding a new additional fan inside. If that isn't an option, give the DVDO plenty of breathing space both above/below on your rack and buy a cooling fan that sits on top (of the DVDO unit). IMHO, the vp50pro can't be used long term with the stock cooling; it will eventually burn itself up.
Current chain is OSSC-VP50Pro-4x2 HDMI Matrix-another splitter-Capture card. Main reason I'm using it is so my capture card can reliably capture the OSSC since it tends to bluescreen with it, lol. Plugging it in directly still results in the flickering.
I turn it off at the plug whenever I'm not using it.
Literally had the OSSC reset to stock and I still had the issue.
Not really an option with how my setup is put together unfortunately.
Works absolutely fine with my XRGB Mini at 720p.
OSSC flickers on all inputs.

Oh my god I'm an idiot, Cadence detection was on. How on earth did that even happen, it was literally the first thing I thought I'd checked. I swear down I've been through every goddamn option like 4-5 times over the last few days, hahaha. (Just realised - It's different depending on the resolution of the input)
Well, at least I know there's nothing wrong with my VP50Pro! I got it off ebay a year or so ago for ~£30 as broken, but it just came without a PSU. As you can imagine I'm paranoid any time anything happens like that, lol.

Any recommendations of what kind of fan to add and how to do it?
I have noticed it getting pretty toasty. It's got clean space above the back of it, on the front I've got my BVM control unit and on top of that sit my OSSC and XRGB Mini. There's little else I can do with that positioning though just because of HDMI cable and crosspoint->scart adapters.

I have ended up with a new issue now though - 256x240 optim is totally not right. Everything is super blurry and just absolutely not right. Even in 4:3 it looks considerably unstable, with the image shimmering around quite a bit.
My intention is to use optim to capture the SNES and then correctly aspect correct it in OBS. This should result in a few less issues than using generic 4:3, since that isn't actually correctly a 4:3 aspect ratio. Had to do a load of measuring in order to get OBS to correct it to an actual 4:3.

I'm also getting a pretty bad image just generally from the OSSC. Even with the SNES plugged directly into it, I'm getting a lot of jailbars on almost every colour. It's super noticable in the green in SMW. This is regardless of whether or not I'm using the VP50Pro or just the OSSC direct. The biggest issue though is the shimmering, the picture generally just is really unstable for some reason.
I have a feeling the Jailbars might just be a bad cable (Though it's a RGC one from a couple of years ago, it should be fine), or something weird with my SNES's mod.

Any ideas on the optim and the shimmering? I'm using an internal amp RGB SNES Jr through a crosspoint with a properly attenuated sync cable going into the OSSC.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Galdelico wrote:Just tried it out, but no luck, unfortunately. Line 2x 512 optim. still outputs no picture, no matter if I change sampling settings as per your suggestion. Line 3/4/5x 512 optim. modes all work fine.
The pixel clock might be too low for your monitor. I have updated the firmware so that 512x240 line2x will output 1024x480.
I also noticed how H Samplerate at 682 isn't perfectly aligned - and this happens with all working modes - and still produces a jittery column at about the middle of the screen. Moving it up to 683 solves the issue for the most part, as a faint flicker persists to both left and right edges of the frame (I tried to get rid of it by adjusting sample phase, but I couldn't find the soft spot).
Is that with a Megadrive? I have not seen this behaviour with a NTSC 1-CHIP SNES.
rezb1t wrote: As a follow up, it also seems to break line5x mode with 240p sources, giving those weird vertical lines as well. Stranger, when I updated back to the official 0.81-aud, the lines persisted. But when I downgraded to 0.76-aud the lines were fixed, and upgrading back to the official 0.81-aud worked fine again.

Once I tried to switch over to the GBI firmware, the lines returned. Hope this helps!
It should be fixed now. The pixelclock is now reduced in 240x360 line3x mode and line5x also shouldn't have glitches anymore. At least I did not see any glitches after hours of testing.

The link to the updated firmware is still the same.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

paulb_nl wrote:The pixel clock might be too low for your monitor. I have updated the firmware so that 512x240 line2x will output 1024x480.
Awesome, I'll try it out. Thanks!

And yes, sorry I didn't mention it: it's a Japanese - unmodded - Mega Drive 2.