I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Square_Air

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Square_Air »

Neither of these are exactly new, but I never got around to posting them.

Raiden (US) 1-All

Video

I actually got this clear back in march, but I just never got around to uploading the video. While I barely fell short of my 3 million goal, this run is notable because it showcases a really silly glitch where I never got the full power up you're supposed to get after your first death (after you No Miss long enough). I think since I was so close to the bottom of the screen it must have shot downward and gone far enough away to immediately despawn. This is a pretty common occurrence with bomb items, but you can't even see the full power up appear at all in the playback. When I play back the INP and die in even a slightly different position it appears as normal. Raiden plays dirty Image.

R-Type 2-ALL No Miss

Video

This one is a bit more recent, only being from a few weeks ago. I saw that FRO was hosting a monthly shmup club over on the RF Generation forums and was looking for forum members to join, so I figured I would play along since I almost never touched R-Type before this event and figured it was time to see what it's all about. I ended up having a lot more fun with this game than I thought I would and I'm now pretty stoked to play R-Type 2 once I can make the time for it. I made a relatively lengthy post about my thoughts on the game and some of its ports.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Wow! That's fantastic:D
My lord, I have come for you.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

I went to a comic con today and my Toaplan shirt got recognized by someone who had previously lived in Japan
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Good stuff Square_Air! :o
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Thanks, all! Image

Also, congrats on your Shin Seseri clear, Keres/Cloudy. If only SH3 ran a bit better in MAME, then I would definitely play this one more.

I also just managed another clear only an hour ago...

Tatsujin 1-ALL

While not as significant as the other two clears I posted above, I'm still pleased with this. I really enjoy Tatsujin, which makes sense since it's the ancestor of my favourite shmup, Dangun Feveron. I still need to think about it some more, but Tatsujin is possibly my favourite Toaplan game, beating out Slap Fight and at least is on par with Batsugun Special IMHO. The fact that you can "trade in" your extends for power ups really saves this game from the same nasty recovery madness that's present Raiden and Kyukyoku Tiger. It has a few quirks that can be frustrating, but the fast paced macro dodging along with the great soundtrack keep it really interesting. I definitely need to play this more in the future, but I have a bone to pick Dragon Blaze & Mars Matrix, so it'll have to be at a later time.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Phew! I just barely managed to 1CC Eschatos on Normal. I literally had one life left at the final battle!
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

I found Novice mode on Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu doesn't have many people playing it, so I decided to get some 2-All in Novice mode with some basic high scoring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUmjAypYKGU
(This 2-all features Omote routes only and no Hibachi for now)
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hello again, everyone! :)

Just a little while ago, I finally got my 1st ever Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL of Ketsui! I'm quite pleased to have this one down!

I've been wanting to try out Ketsui for some time now, and since I got the DOJBL 2-ALL & Strikers 1999 2-ALL, I figured there's no better time than now to work on Ketsui for a bit. I started playing Ketsui since early-mid April, and well, here we are!

It's my 2nd Cave 2-ALL I got (After DOJBL) and, overall, the 3rd game I have 2-ALL'd thus far! :)
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Nice one, congrats! :)
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Nice one! Congrats purple.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Thanks, Keres and Jonst! I appreciate it! :D

I do have the run up on YouTube, if you want to check that out sometime.
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

MJR

Post by MJR »

I was FINALLY able to beat the last special stage in Raiden DX in Charlie (advanced) mission. Took me only 18 years.
The big stumble had always been that Stage 9 had check points - if you died, it threw you back. And I just COULD NOT beat that last tank.
After many years practicing scores in earlier missions on PSX version, I found out that you can speed kill that tank by flying over it - but then the requirements to get to special stages were much more severe in the playstation than in the US PCB board. I eventually bought the US PCB board, and to my surprise, I was able to credit feed myself quite well to the end, and was able to beat the tank in no time!

So there it is, my most elusive shmup goal of ALL TIME - loop all stages in Raiden DX - complete.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

MJR wrote:
Congrats. Always feels good to conquer a long time foe.
PurpleTheGuy wrote:Ketsui
Whoa. Watching now!
My lord, I have come for you.
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

Finding out that Power Style in Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu is such a pain to play with, so I challenge myself a bit in Novice mode of the game.
I challenge myself to no miss no bomb the entire EX stage in Novice mode in Power Style, and it took me quite a few tries
Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HAPAArro20
Player:DSO
Stage:EX
Goal:No miss No bomb with Power Style
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Congrats Keres! This was a great watch, your consistency is something else! Other than a few hiccups, this was looking like a No-Miss. Those Shin Seseri patterns are wonderful.
PurpleTheGuy wrote: Just a little while ago, I finally got my 1st ever Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL of Ketsui! I'm quite pleased to have this one down!
Congrats to you too, Purple! This was an intense watch, 1-5 was pretty brutal. Also enjoyed some of the "Ketsui Magic" in 2-5. Getting the clear with 0 Lives/Bombs must have been one hell of a feeling. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you work on next, and hopefully an eventual return for Doom 8)
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Congrats Keres! This was a great watch, your consistency is something else!
Haha, thanks. What the video doesn't show is the many runs that ended on stages 2 and 3 that came before it. :P My consistency is actually pretty bad, I think, but it's just motivation to keep practicing!
FRO

Post by FRO »

I've been working on Gradius on NES and PSP the last couple weeks, and randomly on lunch break at work today, I 1CC the 1st loop of Gradius on PSP!

I haven't even managed to do this on NES yet, so I'm pretty stoked about it. I have put my PSP into low power mode for the 2nd loop, and will have to go back to it, and see what I can get as my final score for this run, but I'm pretty happy with this so far:
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

This is definitely an "other triumph" but I cleared hardcore mode of EVERSPACE on my third try (third try of Hardcore at least... I've cleared the regular game several times on hard mode). Now I just need to do it with the other 3 ships. Gunship will be the REAL challenge.

PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

I got my first ever 1CC a few weeks back: Nemesis on the Gameboy. I'm absolutely terrible at shmups, and many years ago I resigned myself to never achieving a 1CC on default difficulty. So the fact that I did it must mean Nemesis is among the easiest shmups. Means a lot to me though.

Unfortunately, I did it without any sound on, as my wife was asleep next to me at the time. So I didn't get the full experience. But I'll do it again one of these days.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Coincidentally, I was revisiting GB Nemesis II (aka The Interstellar Assault) this weekend, mostly to rip some of its uniquely gothic st1 backgrounds... but it's so goddamn good, I ended up playing the whole thing. It's actually probably a bit easier than the first, but it maintains a brisk arcadey pace and more notably is one of the most cinematically contiguous STGs around. Strong recommend if you like the first. Super strong recommend if you also appreciate seamless arcade cinema!

UNFATHOMABLY STRONG RECOMMEND if you enjoy seamless arcade cinema via oldschool GB! Image

On good speakers if possible. The cookin' bassline that fires up as sirens wail during the jailbreak is HAWT. Probably not hawt enough to risk disturbing a sleeping spouse but yeah it's good VGM. :lol:
FRO

Post by FRO »

PFG 9000 wrote:I got my first ever 1CC a few weeks back: Nemesis on the Gameboy. I'm absolutely terrible at shmups, and many years ago I resigned myself to never achieving a 1CC on default difficulty. So the fact that I did it must mean Nemesis is among the easiest shmups. Means a lot to me though.

Unfortunately, I did it without any sound on, as my wife was asleep next to me at the time. So I didn't get the full experience. But I'll do it again one of these days.
Congrats! I consider myself to be somewhat terrible at shmups as well, despite my love for the genre. Nemesis on Game Boy is a bit easier, but definitely a great game that stays faithful to the series. A couple more GB shmups I would consider next are Solar Striker, which isn't too hard, and I 1CC a couple years back, and the Nemesis sequel, Gradius: Interstellar Assault. Other easy 1CC would be Dragon Spirit and Legendary Wings on NES. I also 1CC Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx w/o too much trouble, so if you're looking for another game to mark off the list, that's another I would recommend.
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

dunpeal2064 wrote: Congrats to you too, Purple! This was an intense watch, 1-5 was pretty brutal. Also enjoyed some of the "Ketsui Magic" in 2-5. Getting the clear with 0 Lives/Bombs must have been one hell of a feeling.
Thanks, Dunpeal! :)

Yeah, normally, I don't die 2 times in the 1st loop of Ketsui (I had a number of times I No Missed the 1st loop, and if I were to die in the 1st loop, it's usually just 1 death), so that was really bad that happened in that run. :( Because that happened, I almost wanted to quit this run and do it over again, but I decided to go continue with it, since I figured, "Why not, might as well not waste the rest of this run and treat it like practice mode."

Despite how badly the 1st loop ended up going in regards to stage 1-5, luckily, I was able to come back with a better than average 2nd loop performance, and I did good enough, that I was able to come back from what seemed like a run-ending mistake, and well, I managed to make the clutch in the end. :) It also helped that I practiced the Tsuujou/Omote loop quite often (I even practiced it right before this particular run), as that helped with my consistency in the 2nd loop.

I didn't expect this run to actually be my 1st Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL, but it ended up working out like that in the end. I guess it's true, when they say, "Don't throw away runs, even if you're losing." :)

Also, yeah, at the same time, I suppose I also proved that, yeah, you can die 2 times in the 1st loop of Ketsui and still get the Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL in it (I know, it sounds dubious, haha, not to mention you really don't want that to happen in the 1st place anyway :P), you just have to be sure to know the 2nd loop really well.
dunpeal2064 wrote: Definitely looking forward to seeing what you work on next, and hopefully an eventual return for Doom 8)
I actually do plan on coming back to Ketsui sometime to work on the Ura 2-ALL. However, I'm not up for that one at this moment, since, when I decided to go play Ketsui for a bit, I wanted to go for the Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL. I didn't really intend to go for the Ura 2-ALL in the 1st place, though I could have went on to go work on it next, if I wanted to.

Also, if I had to admit, there's another reason why I decided not to go for the Ketsui Ura 2-ALL just yet, and, well, I suppose I'll let this little bit of detail slip out of me...

You see, while I was working on getting the Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL of Ketsui, there was this certain other game I actually really wanted to play, and the more I thought about that particular game, the more and more I couldn't just wait to do it, to where I just wanted to get the Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL of Ketsui done and over with as soon as I can, so I can immediately go and play that said certain game. You could go as far as to say that certain game was the one I actually really wanted to do.

Indeed, due to that, I already know what's the next game I plan to play next after getting the Ketsui Tsuujou/Omote 2-ALL. In-fact, I am playing that certain game right now. It's been slightly more than 2 weeks since I first started out on it. :)

Also, sorry that I replied a little on the late side, Dunpeal.
Last edited by PurpleTheGuy on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

FRO wrote: Congrats! I consider myself to be somewhat terrible at shmups as well, despite my love for the genre. Nemesis on Game Boy is a bit easier, but definitely a great game that stays faithful to the series. A couple more GB shmups I would consider next are Solar Striker, which isn't too hard, and I 1CC a couple years back, and the Nemesis sequel, Gradius: Interstellar Assault. Other easy 1CC would be Dragon Spirit and Legendary Wings on NES. I also 1CC Blazing Lazers on TurboGrafx w/o too much trouble, so if you're looking for another game to mark off the list, that's another I would recommend.
Thanks! And thank you also for the recommendations. I do have Gradius II: The Interstellar Assult and Blazing Lazers, and I'll look into Solar Striker, Dragon Spirit and Legendary Wings.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Not a huge achievement, 1CCed all the (regular) 2hus on normal difficulty (and a couple of extra stages).

Would love to play harder modes but I hate memorizers.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Huh? I don't see how touhou games are any more memorisers than any other shmup. If anything I'd say they have more randomised bullet patterns than most games.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

2hu has more RNG (and less memo) than most other memo heavy titles from Psikyo, Toaplan, Konami, Irem, Seibu, etc. I would say Cave is even debatably more memo based, even if we're just talking about basic clears. I don't really understand this sentiment.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
KAI

Post by KAI »

All I see on lunatic modes is safespotting, speedkilling and players tapping from one corner of the screen to the other. Micrododging attack full of rng during boss fights doesn't change the fact that the rest of the game feels like a psikyo game on drugs.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

KAI wrote:All I see on lunatic modes is safespotting, speedkilling and players tapping from one corner of the screen to the other. Micrododging attack full of rng during boss fights doesn't change the fact that the rest of the game feels like a psikyo game on drugs.
A lot of the stages are full of tap-dodging but remembering to tap-dodge everywhere is a far cry from a Psikyo game. Also the boss fights take up a big portion of the game and at least to me are the harder part of the game, so "the rest of the game" isn't even that much. Definitely don't need to remember it in as much detail to stand a chance, compared to something like Ketsui.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

all you need on lunatic mode to clear it is to press bomb
you can play like complete shit without any kind of a plan, you can just bomb to the end
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Got through the laser wheels without spending a life, even had bombs in stock and beat Shooty without dropping my combo. Almost got 10k combo on her but didn't quite make it. Went through omote loop and got to level 5 and beat my high score.

Replay is desynced of course... :roll: