Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Link83

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Link83 »

nmalinoski wrote:
Link83 wrote:It clearly has a VGA port...
I am curious though if the encoder is outputting RGBS with CSYNC being separated into HSYNC and VSYNC by another chip, or if the encoder is actually capable of outputting HSYNC and VSYNC directly over some unused pins.
Is it actually outputting RGBHV over the DE-15, or is it outputting RGBS?
I imagine it would have to be outputting 480p RGBHV over DE-15 (Standard VGA) to be compatible with arcade monitors of the time, but without clearer pictures of both sides of the board its impossible to be sure.
Last edited by Link83 on Wed May 23, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
pyroman512 wrote:I assembled the GCPLug.. It was intense to say the least but it looks like everything went well. I do have one problem though...

To test out the connector I verified that it displays output, and even tested the progressive scan. The problem is that the image flickers on and off randomly. I don't know if it is a settings thing since I haven't gotten a remote yet but I'm not sure where to look. All my connections appear fine, my best guess is that after soldering the connector to the board a few (1 to 3) pins don't spring up as easily perhaps not making contact with the gamecube well enough.

Anyone experience this issue or suggest what to look at?
Before anything, just try another tv, just to be sure.

I would blame the pins in the plug. Make sure they are sticking down far enough. Also looking down the barrel of the plug, push the pins up and make sure they retract all the way back down without getting stuck.

Congrats on getting it built 8)

Thanks man! I replaced a pin and adjusted a few others and all seems good now. When I tried again I had the same problem but it appears to have gone away since I switched to enhanced dvi. (I switched back and it still worked so I dunno). All looks pretty good except I was trying with Wind waker and I got checkerboard like vertical lines while sailing. I tried two tvs and then I tried a bunch of other games and they all were fine. So I assume Wind waker is a special case with GCVideo?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

pyroman512 wrote:

Thanks man! I replaced a pin and adjusted a few others and all seems good now. When I tried again I had the same problem but it appears to have gone away since I switched to enhanced dvi. (I switched back and it still worked so I dunno). All looks pretty good except I was trying with Wind waker and I got checkerboard like vertical lines while sailing. I tried two tvs and then I tried a bunch of other games and they all were fine. So I assume Wind waker is a special case with GCVideo?
No wind walker should work fine. My guess is still connectivity issues with the plug to the gamecube still. Make sure your gamecube pads on the digital connector are clean as well.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The vertical lines is the horizontal scaling interacting with the dithering. They're visible even with composite video.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

Extrems wrote:The vertical lines is the horizontal scaling interacting with the dithering. They're visible even with composite video.
So that means theres nothing I can do about it? So the framemeister appears to hide that on svideo. Is there a way to clean it up from the GCvideo or is it just something I have to deal with?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

pyroman512 wrote:
Extrems wrote:The vertical lines is the horizontal scaling interacting with the dithering. They're visible even with composite video.
So that means theres nothing I can do about it? So the framemeister appears to hide that on svideo. Is there a way to clean it up from the GCvideo or is it just something I have to deal with?
I remember first noticing it in Wind Waker when borrowing a friend's component cables. I believe Skyward Sword has the same issue, and I'd guess Twilight Princess too (I assume they all use the same engine).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Swiss could disable the horizontal scaling and/or dithering. I'll get around to it someday.

I'll just leave this here:
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

Just got my GCMax 1.2 PCBs in from OSHPark last night, and man has it got me excited to get started! Unfortunately, some of the components are still eluding me... the FPGA is backordered for another month on DigiKey and that looks like about the soonest it's going to be available from anywhere else, too. Also of all things, I can't find any suitable caps for C19/25; no one seems to have 10μF 0402 ones rated for 10V in stock at the moment. Never expected to have something so simple in short supply!

Citrus, if you'll pardon my continued pestering, I also had a look around for an alternative to the GP1FD310TP, since even AliExpress came up empty for that. My forte's more in software than hardware, so I can't be sure, but I think the Cliff FCR684204T could work: http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/optic ... 84204T.pdf. If I'm reading the datasheet right, the measurements and pinout seem to match up. It's still on the scarce side, but Newark and a few European stores seem to have it in stock. Does that look feasible? Finally, from my attempts to assemble the Hirose connector, I think it needs the 4mm versions of the cable clamp and bushing rather than the 5.8mm ones.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

AetherSmyth wrote:Just got my GCMax 1.2 PCBs in from OSHPark last night, and man has it got me excited to get started! Unfortunately, some of the components are still eluding me... the FPGA is backordered for another month on DigiKey and that looks like about the soonest it's going to be available from anywhere else, too. Also of all things, I can't find any suitable caps for C19/25; no one seems to have 10μF 0402 ones rated for 10V in stock at the moment. Never expected to have something so simple in short supply!

Citrus, if you'll pardon my continued pestering, I also had a look around for an alternative to the GP1FD310TP, since even AliExpress came up empty for that. My forte's more in software than hardware, so I can't be sure, but I think the Cliff FCR684204T could work: http://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/optic ... 84204T.pdf. If I'm reading the datasheet right, the measurements and pinout seem to match up. It's still on the scarce side, but Newark and a few European stores seem to have it in stock. Does that look feasible? Finally, from my attempts to assemble the Hirose connector, I think it needs the 4mm versions of the cable clamp and bushing rather than the 5.8mm ones.

6.3V caps will work. 10V just have a safer tolerance. Don't let caps hold you back. Send me a PM I can send you an FPGA and the GP1FD310TP.

You are right, but the 5.8mm parts fit with some love and caress. I went with the larger size because of the cable I used. But you are welcome to try out the 4mm version and let me know how it goes :D
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

Oh, well if 6.3V will work for those, then great! Like I said, circuit design is never really something that's clicked for me, so I was hesitant to go against your recommendation in the instructions.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I have a handful of GCDuals available if anybody is interested https://shop.dansprojects.com
hernan43

Post by hernan43 »

I recently bought and installed a GCDual in my Gamecube. This kit really is the ultimate video upgrade for the Gamecube. I couldn't recommend it more. If you are on the fence about doing this upgrade it really does deliver and is beyond worth it in my opinion.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

Does anyone have the GCVideo 2.4 .bit or .mcs file? I noticed the bin directory had been taken down from Unseen's github, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to compile the VHDL files.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Marmotta wrote:Does anyone have the GCVideo 2.4 .bit or .mcs file? I noticed the bin directory had been taken down from Unseen's github, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to compile the VHDL files.
Binaries can be found in the releases section.

https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/releases
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

citrus3000psi wrote:
Binaries can be found in the releases section.

https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/releases
How did I miss that?! Now I just feel silly :oops:.

While I'm here, may as well ask, I was considered trying to program one of these development boards as a cheap and basic way of building a GCHDMI. Is there any reason that wouldn't work, like pin conflicts due to the different package type?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XILINX-SPARTAN ... 2243053522
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Marmotta wrote:While I'm here, may as well ask, I was considered trying to program one of these development boards as a cheap and basic way of building a GCHDMI. Is there any reason that wouldn't work, like pin conflicts due to the different package type?
It is unlikely that you can get away with using the existing bitstream because these things are not simply sythesized for a certain FPGA type but also for the specific IC package. Saving the settings in GCVideo won't work because the flash chip on that module is very different compared to a standard SPI flash.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Extrems wrote:https://files.extremscorner.org/wii/apps/calibrator/pr0ton.zip

Load 480p-b.dol and probe around.
Extrems, I just wondered if this post was in response to mine about Wii arcade hardware outputting 480p RGB? If so is there any chance you can expand further?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Yes, and... I don't see how I can expand on that.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Extrems wrote:Yes, and... I don't see how I can expand on that.
Well i'm guessing that means you found an option for 480p RGB from the stock Wii video encoder? :shock:
If so can the Wii be forced to use this mode for all software? Also does the Wii include CSYNC output ? Or does the encoder have unused HSYNC/VSYNC pins that we would need to use?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I don't know where sync is, that's why you need to probe.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Link83 wrote:
Extrems wrote:Yes, and... I don't see how I can expand on that.
Well i'm guessing that means you found an option for 480p RGB from the stock Wii video encoder? :shock:
If so can the Wii be forced to use this mode for all software? Also does the Wii include CSYNC output ? Or does the encoder have unused HSYNC/VSYNC pins that we would need to use?
Check this out:

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t ... -1-1.2176/
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Oh, good.

The mystery is finally solved after all these years.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Nice
Roboplodicus

Post by Roboplodicus »

Can I Comission Somebody to Make a GameCube RGBs or RGsB Cable for Playing in 480p on a PVM?
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

I got my GCDual installed, and I noticed that I can hear my monitor switching into 480i every time I boot up. Is that intended behavior? I don't seem to see this happening with my other 480i devices. I would fully expect the switch going from 480i to 480p (which also happens) but the initial change from booting up the Gamecube is odd to me. It takes about 3 seconds to complete, so it's not a big deal, but just curious if this is intended behavior.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Roboplodicus wrote:Can I Comission Somebody to Make a GameCube RGBs or RGsB Cable for Playing in 480p on a PVM?
You can use a SNES scart cable wired for csync and a scart to BNC cable or adapter to get RGBs into your PVM.

There are also these really nice SNES to BNC cables that will work.
https://retro-access.com/collections/bn ... vm-monitor
RGsB should work also as long as you enable it in the menu. Same for YPbPr.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Chriz2600 has just made some updates to gc-video: These updates only pertain to GCDual people at the moment.

https://github.com/chriz2600/gcvideo

There is now a direct analog output YPbPr mode that can work with custom video timing (IE: GBIHF etc.) The video is dumped right before the blanking regeneration happens. So there will be no OSD (DVI will have OSD still) on the analog portion

I will post up how to update shortly. Chriz2600 also has plans to add RGB direct output and will be taking a look at the chroma bugs.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

citrus3000psi wrote:There is now a direct analog output YPbPr mode that can work with custom video timing (IE: GBIHF etc.) The video is dumped right before the blanking regeneration happens. So there will be no OSD (DVI will have OSD still) on the analog portion

I will post up how to update shortly. Chriz2600 also has plans to add RGB direct output and
I'm still looking for a reasonable name for that feature, currently the (unsupported, use-at-your-own-risk) menu option in my mess of uncommitted changes is called "Border Expansion".
will be taking a look at the chroma bugs.
Chroma bugs?
chriz2600

Post by chriz2600 »

Unseen wrote:Chroma bugs?
I wouldn't call it a bug. As far as I understand, it is that the original component cable handles the chroma upsampling by simply duplicating the stored U and V values. So the result looks different from the interpolation upsampling in gcvideo.