gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mj23kb08

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by mj23kb08 »

SuperG,

I realize your focus has been primarily on the gscart_lite recently, but have you made a final decision between doing a 4:2 or 8:2 for the gcompsw? I remember a few weeks ago you said those were the two options you were considering.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

eric90000 wrote:On the outputs of the gscart lite and also the gscartsw 3.4, what voltages are on pin 8 and pin 16? Does it just forward on what it receives in the inputs, or does it output standardized voltages to switch to 4:3 and RGB.
My understanding is that pins 8 and 16 are not wired at all on the gscartsw, going all the way back to the first revision. I would expect your displays to be using either default or last-used aspect ratio and video mode settings.
superg

Post by superg »

eric90000 wrote:@superg, I'm not sure if you have already answered this or not, if you have I apologise as I couldn't find it on the your website.

On the outputs of the gscart lite and also the gscartsw 3.4, what voltages are on pin 8 and pin 16? Does it just forward on what it receives in the inputs, or does it output standardized voltages to switch to 4:3 and RGB.

The reason I ask is because if I connect my SNES directly to a Sony CRT using a standard RGB SCART cable, it defaults to 16:9 mode (meaning it probably has 5V connected to pin 8 ). However if I run the SNES to your switch then out to the CRT, it auto switches to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio (meaning there is 9.5 to 12V on pin 8???).

As for pin 16 I'm assuming it outputs somewhere between 1 to 3V.

I'm in the process of building a custom cable to daisy chain the outputs of my PVM to the SCART input on the Sony CRT, and I just wanted to make sure I build it correctly.

Thanks!
Input pin 8/16 is internally disconnected. Output SCART pin 8 is forced 4:3 and pin 16 is forced RGB.
mj23kb08 wrote:SuperG,

I realize your focus has been primarily on the gscart_lite recently, but have you made a final decision between doing a 4:2 or 8:2 for the gcompsw? I remember a few weeks ago you said those were the two options you were considering.
I try not to think about gcompsw at this point as first I have to finish the iteration of gscartsw. First things first.
Fluxchar

Post by Fluxchar »

Any idea when preorders happen? Def don’t want to miss this.
superg

Post by superg »

Here's what happens when you choose the wrong power inverter on the proto:
Now nothing prevents me from working on SoG.
leonk

Post by leonk »

How does GSCARTSW handle audio input? I’ve been installing the citrus3000psi colecovision rgb amp with no issues. Audio is taken directly from the RF input pin of the PCB and out the 8 pin miniDIN. Not modified in any way.

On PVM, XRGB mini and OSSC the volumes are same level as other consoles. But when I plug into gscartsw lite, the volume is 1/2 and faint hum is heard. Any idea what is going on? Another person I did the install for reported the same issue.

Also. What does the CS switch do again? I noticed that when it’s on, the ossc keeps on losing sync from coleco every other second. turn it off and I got stable picture.
superg

Post by superg »

leonk wrote:How does GSCARTSW handle audio input? I’ve been installing the citrus3000psi colecovision rgb amp with no issues. Audio is taken directly from the RF input pin of the PCB and out the 8 pin miniDIN. Not modified in any way.

On PVM, XRGB mini and OSSC the volumes are same level as other consoles. But when I plug into gscartsw lite, the volume is 1/2 and faint hum is heard. Any idea what is going on? Another person I did the install for reported the same issue.

Also. What does the CS switch do again? I noticed that when it’s on, the ossc keeps on losing sync from coleco every other second. turn it off and I got stable picture.
You have to check audio level. Be careful with audio and gscartsw as if it's amplified it can fry the switch multiplexers. There was a fiasco with WindyGaming Supergun because of that. CS is sync regeneration aka "Clean Sync", if that doesn't work it means that something is not good.
leonk

Post by leonk »

i’m not sure why CS doesn’t work. On scope I see clean csync with about 0.35Vpp

As for hum. I got rid of it by inserting 10uF cap inline between point with coleco RF box gets its audio and the 8 pin mini din output for RGB. Wonder why gscartsw requires this cap while video devices do not.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Hmmm.. very interesting results with playing with CS switch and this colecovision RGB amp.

- in port 8, it syncs right away
- in port 1, I get black screen. It sits for 10-15 seconds but then syncs after I moved from port 8 to 1! And I get video and it plays, I press reset on console, and it resets correctly still holding sync. Here's what OSSC says about the video input:

RGBS 262P
15.96kHz 59.91Hz

- when I power cycle the console it works great as well.
- when I power cycle the GSCARTSW, I sit at black screen. Very strange.
- but eventually CS circuit starts working as designed. Very strange.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Is it just me or do other people have cracks forming on the bottom perspex plate where the scart plug screws are?
superg

Post by superg »

Syntax wrote:Is it just me or do other people have cracks forming on the bottom perspex plate where the scart plug screws are?
Nobody report anything like this so far :)
I have spare panels, let me know if you want one.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I had the switch in a draw and I think pulling it out pulled on the output leads. Its my own fault.

Only tiny little stress cracks and you cant see them anyway. Thanks for the offer.
jvggopher9

Post by jvggopher9 »

Any chance that the new gcompsw will be anything more than 4 inputs? I'd really like to see a 6 input switch.
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

superg wrote:
Smile_Kaiser wrote:Hey, I've been posting in the Framemeister thread about my issues, but I narrowed it down and I think the problem might actually be the gscartsw-lite I purchased from you a couple of months ago. I'm getting minor but not insignificant white noise when I connect anything through my gscart, especially my SNES. I'm using Retro Gaming Cables UK cords, and a Framemeister. Bypassing the gscart makes everything look perfect, but with the gscart involved, I'm getting white noise. Any advice?
There shouldn't be any noise. Did you check the other SCART cables just to make sure it's not the cable?
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, but yeah, it's not the SCART cable. I tried all of them and got the same amount of static. I even had an electrician come in and clean all my stuff and install a brand new power outlet, still didn't work. But bypassing the gscart, everything looks great. So. I dunno. What should I do? Kind of bummed out.
superg

Post by superg »

Smile_Kaiser wrote: Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, but yeah, it's not the SCART cable. I tried all of them and got the same amount of static. I even had an electrician come in and clean all my stuff and install a brand new power outlet, still didn't work. But bypassing the gscart, everything looks great. So. I dunno. What should I do? Kind of bummed out.
If you want you can send the switch to me for diagnostics. PM me where are you located.
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

superg wrote:
Smile_Kaiser wrote: Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, but yeah, it's not the SCART cable. I tried all of them and got the same amount of static. I even had an electrician come in and clean all my stuff and install a brand new power outlet, still didn't work. But bypassing the gscart, everything looks great. So. I dunno. What should I do? Kind of bummed out.
If you want you can send the switch to me for diagnostics. PM me where are you located.
PM sent. Thanks.
Nodoyuna

Post by Nodoyuna »

The new version will have audio out via RCA?
superg

Post by superg »

Nodoyuna wrote:The new version will have audio out via RCA?
No, only via SCARTs.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:
No, only via SCARTs.
What are the prospects/timeline for a gscartsw (non lite) with RGsB support?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
superg wrote:
No, only via SCARTs.
What are the prospects/timeline for a gscartsw (non lite) with RGsB support?
It's in the first post.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:It's in the first post.
Thank you. I apologize for being "that guy."
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
superg wrote:It's in the first post.
Thank you. I apologize for being "that guy."
That's fine ;), I am lazy to copy the text from the first page.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Any further issues with the prototype after you smashed/added that dead bug to the power circuit?
superg

Post by superg »

Dazdigo wrote:Any further issues with the prototype after you smashed/added that dead bug to the power circuit?
Nothing so far, SoG altera firmware almost ready, I hope I will start testing this weekend.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

One of my favorite features of the gscart lite is that it has 2 x simultaneous SCART outputs and doesn't degrade the signal.

@SuperG, have you thought of making a much smaller SCART splitter? Even like a 1:3 For people who use numerous CRT's etc. I'd imagine it'd be much cheaper to implement due to the lack of auto switching circuitry.

I'd certainly buy one knowing that it'd be properly designed by you and wouldn't have any signal degradation!
superg

Post by superg »

eric90000 wrote:One of my favorite features of the gscart lite is that it has 2 x simultaneous SCART outputs and doesn't degrade the signal.

@SuperG, have you thought of making a much smaller SCART splitter? Even like a 1:3 For people who use numerous CRT's etc. I'd imagine it'd be much cheaper to implement due to the lack of auto switching circuitry.

I'd certainly buy one knowing that it'd be properly designed by you and wouldn't have any signal degradation!
I don't think I'll have time for this. I have really a lot in my backlog and barely any free time. Definitely it's not hard and shouldn't cost much but still it's another project, requires another board, case drawings, manufacturing process etc.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

superg wrote: I don't think I'll have time for this. I have really a lot in my backlog and barely any free time. Definitely it's not hard and shouldn't cost much but still it's another project, requires another board, case drawings, manufacturing process etc.
Totally understandable, thought I'd enquire anyway! Thanks SuperG.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Do lightguns work on the gscartsw_lite?
superg

Post by superg »

H6rdc0re wrote:Do lightguns work on the gscartsw_lite?
It should work, lightgun processing is pre switch.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

If you are going to use a light gun over scart, both Retro Gaming Cables and Retro Access sell scart cables with composite breakouts for light guns.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ind ... ommon/home
https://retro-access.com/