Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Xer Xian »

I've tested 24kHz on a JVC DT-V and got an image, although the monitor clearly wasn't familiar with it and required tweaking the size and maybe geometry.

---

I got a scart to vga cable for next to nothing, but opening it up showed this:

Am I wrong or there's no connection to the sync pins (19,20)? So this is not good for scart to vga nor vga to scart? lol?

Also if I want to go from scart to vga I need to connect pin 19 of the scart head to pin 13 of the vga connector right? (yes I already know vga receivers generally want separate TTL sync)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

that's a communication cable. It uses pins 10 and 12, which absolutey no video/rgb scart cable out there uses.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

lol indeed then :lol: Thanks Fudoh.

I was going to buy a bunch of Packapunch cables from RGC (it's 18% off on them now), I'll just add a scart to 4bnc cable to the order I guess..
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Will a SCART to RGBS cable work as an RGBS to SCART or is that a one-way conversion?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

SavagePencil wrote:Will a SCART to RGBS cable work as an RGBS to SCART or is that a one-way conversion?
SCART is RGBS; SCART is a connector standard, RGBS is a signalling standard.

If you mean SCART to BNC, or SCART to VGA, then yes, these are directional; however, some manufacturers add a switch to the SCART head, so you can use them for either direction.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

It's easy to get confused.

For me, RGBS means clean sync. With SCART, we often get composite sync or sync on luma.

It really doesn't help when we casually reference clean sync, composite, and sync on luma as RGBS or CSYNC. :(
We apologise for the inconvenience
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

orange808 wrote:It's easy to get confused.

For me, RGBS means clean sync. With SCART, we often get composite sync or sync on luma.

It really doesn't help when we casually reference clean sync, composite, and sync on luma as RGBS or CSYNC. :(
It definitely can be confusing, and you're absolutely right that those casual references don't actually imply the things people seem to think they do.

My understanding has been that: (None of this is going to be new to a lot of people.)
  • The RGBS acronym doesn't actually describe what is used for a composite sync signal, just that it's on its own wire, separate from the image data.
    • And this may not 100% mesh with the rest of the community, but I distinguish capital S to mean sync is on its own wire, and lowercase s means it's muxed on the previous line, like Gs for sync-on-green; this differentiation/usage seems common in at least Extron's documentation.
  • Composite sync (CSync/CSYNC) simply means horizontal and vertical sync are muxed together, and the resulting composite signal can either be on its own or muxed with a video signal to reduce the wire count.
  • "Clean sync", sync-on-composite, and sync-on-luma are used to describe what is transmitted on the sync wire, pretty much always in the context of RGB SCART, and thus composite sync and RGBS are implied.
    • Should probably also be noted that, while the separate horizontal and vertical sync signals in RGBHV are technically also clean sync signals, they are clean by design and don't need to be qualified as such.
  • All of YPbPr, RGsB (sync-on-green RGB), YC (S-Video), RGBS, and RGBHV are technically component video, since they all have different components broken out into multiple wires; but "component video" is often used as shorthand for YPbPr, and is sometimes used as shorthand for the cabling, which could carry either YPbPr or RGsB.
Frankly, it's a lot to keep track of. :/
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

nmalinoski wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:Will a SCART to RGBS cable work as an RGBS to SCART or is that a one-way conversion?

If you mean SCART to BNC, or SCART to VGA, then yes, these are directional; however, some manufacturers add a switch to the SCART head, so you can use them for either direction.
My apologies; I did mean SCART to 4 BNC. I haven’t seen one with a toggle for SCART->BNC or BNC->SCART. Any you can recommend?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

SavagePencil wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

My apologies; I did mean SCART to 4 BNC. I haven’t seen one with a toggle for SCART->BNC or BNC->SCART. Any you can recommend?
Retro Gaming Cables has the specific cable I'm talking about.

If you're based in the US, Retro-Access can probably build you a similar cable as they have all the requisite parts, except maybe the switch; you just have to ask.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ross wrote:Looking online, there doesn't appear to be any official SCART cable for the PS3.

Do we know if capacitors should or shouldn't be inside the cable then? Have a PS1 and PS2 cable, just looking to get the best/safest RGB output from the PS3.
My understanding is that the PS3's multiout is identical in functionality to the PS2, so you should get a straight cable with no capacitors. That said, I'm not sure you'll be able to get progressive video out of a PS3 over SCART. (Only because I haven't tried myself.)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:
ross wrote:Looking online, there doesn't appear to be any official SCART cable for the PS3.

Do we know if capacitors should or shouldn't be inside the cable then? Have a PS1 and PS2 cable, just looking to get the best/safest RGB output from the PS3.
My understanding is that the PS3's multiout is identical in functionality to the PS2, so you should get a straight cable with no capacitors. That said, I'm not sure you'll be able to get progressive video out of a PS3 over SCART. (Only because I haven't tried myself.)
If it's truly identical in functionality to the PS2 I see no reason why you can't. If my memory serves you can output 480p RGsB from the SCART on a PS2 - used to do this all the time (as it saved me from having to switch from SCART to Component cables when everything in my setup is zip tied down like a mofo lol).
Kez

Post by Kez »

I have a PAL Mega Drive that I modded to 60hz, including replacing the PAL crystal oscillator with an NTSC one. That all works fine, but recently I added a 32X which is also PAL, but I added the region mod switch where you short out an empty resistor pad.

However, when I play 60hz 32X games I noticed that the image is shaky on the screen, like juddering left and right. I also noticed that in same games (e.g. Knuckles Chaotix), the background does not judder but the sprites do. I'm thinking in these games the Mega Drive is rendering the background and the 32X the sprites, so only what is coming from the 32X is juddering?

Could this be because my "PAL" Mega Drive now has an NTSC oscillator, but the "PAL" 32X still has its original oscillator? I had a look at it and it is a 4.4336 Mhz (i.e. PAL subcarrier), would getting a 3.579545 MHz crystal help? I'm assuming that is the crystal found in an NTSC 32X - is anyone able to confirm this?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Kez wrote:I have a PAL Mega Drive that I modded to 60hz, including replacing the PAL crystal oscillator with an NTSC one. That all works fine, but recently I added a 32X which is also PAL, but I added the region mod switch where you short out an empty resistor pad.

However, when I play 60hz 32X games I noticed that the image is shaky on the screen, like juddering left and right. I also noticed that in same games (e.g. Knuckles Chaotix), the background does not judder but the sprites do. I'm thinking in these games the Mega Drive is rendering the background and the 32X the sprites, so only what is coming from the 32X is juddering?

Could this be because my "PAL" Mega Drive now has an NTSC oscillator, but the "PAL" 32X still has its original oscillator? I had a look at it and it is a 4.4336 Mhz (i.e. PAL subcarrier), would getting a 3.579545 MHz crystal help? I'm assuming that is the crystal found in an NTSC 32X - is anyone able to confirm this?
Yeah, some games the 32X shared rendering duty with the Genesis, so if you want everything stable, both clocks need to be the same speed.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:Does the Sony BVM-D14H5U support medium res?
As in 24khz? No Sony PVM/BVM does that which I know of. Just 240p, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (and all their PAL equivalents).
I wasn't able to get 576p (PAL disc on Oppo DVD player > VP50Pro HDMI output > HDFury2 component output > PVM) working on my 20L5, but it's not something I really need to use on my PVM.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

^^ You know that the VP50 has analog out right?

Question: do Extron RGB interfaces require a TTL level sync signal? Been looking them up on the Extron website and all of them list the following as compatible input sync level:
2.0 V to 5.5 Vp-p with ±0.2 VDC offset (max.)
Kez

Post by Kez »

FBX wrote:Yeah, some games the 32X shared rendering duty with the Genesis, so if you want everything stable, both clocks need to be the same speed.
Cool thanks, I have ordered some NTSC oscillators so I'll swap them over and see what happens.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Xer Xian wrote:Question: do Extron RGB interfaces require a TTL level sync signal? Been looking them up on the Extron website and all of them list the following as compatible input sync level:
I'm going from memory here as I'm not home to test, but I'm pretty positive these two scenarios show the Extron RGB can take regular level sync:

I've run my TurboGrafx-16 with SSDS3 through my Extron RGB 203 Rxi with the SERR dipswitch set to "on" to try to clean-up the sync for my BVM-D14 (which is picky with sync on that one system), and I was still able to display that signal (properly) on other monitors which tells me the Extron RGB takes non-TTL level sync.

I also run my Xbox and Wii through YPbPr to RGBS converters (one of which, the Extron CVC 200) says it's output is "RGB: 0.4 V to 1.0 Vp-p" (i.e. non-TTL level sync I believe), then run that RGBS signal through the Extron RGB with no ill effects.

***EDIT*** actually, everything I run (and/or loop back in and out) through my Extron Crosspoint which automatically jacks the sync up to TTL levels if it's plugged in through the H or V BNC ports on the back, right? So I honestly don't know...
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Xer Xian wrote:^^ You know that the VP50 has analog out right?

Question: do Extron RGB interfaces require a TTL level sync signal? Been looking them up on the Extron website and all of them list the following as compatible input sync level:
Chaining clean SCART RGBS directly through it has always worked very well.

SCART > sync cleaner > RGB unit > line doubler > display
We apologise for the inconvenience
EthicalShooter

Post by EthicalShooter »

I have a Genesis model 2 that has a semi-broken controller port: the down arrow doesn't work unless I very lightly tilt the controller plug upward in my direction, after which it works for 2-10 minutes. I've tried 2 controllers and it's the exact same for both.

I already reflowed the solder on the pins; what could be the issue?

I already installed a Mega Amp so I'm not going to just get another system.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

What is the highest PROGRESSIVE resolution that a standard-definition CRT can support? Anything higher than 240 lines?
EthicalShooter

Post by EthicalShooter »

Logan Jones wrote:What is the highest PROGRESSIVE resolution that a standard-definition CRT can support? Anything higher than 240 lines?
At least 288; that's what PAL supports. Though it's a lower frame rate.

You could probably do like 2400p at 6 Hz, and even higher resolutions at lower frame rates.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

EthicalShooter wrote:
Logan Jones wrote:What is the highest PROGRESSIVE resolution that a standard-definition CRT can support? Anything higher than 240 lines?
At least 288; that's what PAL supports. Though it's a lower frame rate.

You could probably do like 2400p at 6 Hz, and even higher resolutions at lower frame rates.
Okay, how about for specifically NTSC 60hz?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it's simple math. If the display can only do 15khz, then you get 240p at 60Hz and 288p at 50Hz. Nothing else. If you want to raise the resolution you have to drop the refresh rate.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Xer Xian wrote:^^ You know that the VP50 has analog out right?
Of course. But it doesn't work with HDMI sources.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I guess your source enforces HCDP - otherwise the analog out should be available.

About 2400p@6Hz - lol? No CRT would ever display that, and even if it did, the actual resolving power would be a fraction of that, especially if we're considering a generic SD CRT..
tn61

Post by tn61 »

Hello all! I have been using LG 42WS10 display as PC monitor but now I would like to hook Xbox 360 and PS2 into it via component cable and passthrough it into my capture card so it would look like this:

Xbox 360/PS2 -> monitor -> capture card

The problem is VGA sockets that passthroughs PC signal without any issues. But the problem is it uses same sockets for AV/RGB and component. What kind of cable/adapter is required to use component with this? And would it be possible to use RGB Scart with it too?

Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

You can use a component to vga adapter (it's actually 3 RCA to HD-15, but the proper name is rarely used). Female to male of course.
You can then have a standard vga cable go into the capture card - if it has a vga input from which it accepts both RGB and Component YPbPr. Otherwise another vga to component cable (male to male).

For RGB scart it's a bit more complicated, since your monitor is unlikely to accept SD, possibly with no clean sync too.
tn61

Post by tn61 »

Never heard of 3 rca to hd-15 adapters. That should do it then!

According to manual it accepts SD at least with component and I assume with composite too. So I might as well try with Scart but not sure if scart-vga adapter does the trick.

thanks!
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Use 'component to vga adapter' as a keyword, it's likely to give more results.

Scart to vga adapter aren't really a thing, you'd have to use a scart to bnc breakout chained to a bnc to vga adapter. But first make sure that your monitor can take whatever sync type your RGB source outputs.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Most of those adapters are wired the same way as the more common 5x BNC to VGA, and you can use any (compatible) signal on them. So I would just grab one of those. Many of my units do Composite, S-Video, RGBS, and YPbPr all through the same exact 5x BNC to VGA adapter, even if I'm only using 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 of those BNC's for the signal.