PDU, Power Strip, UPS, Power Switch Questions.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dragon89o

PDU, Power Strip, UPS, Power Switch Questions.

Post by Dragon89o »

So I'm looking to accomplish a few things with how I power my CRTs, LED TV, Consoles, and a few other things. I plan to get UPS or two and have that plug in directly to the wall. Then I'd like to plug in a PDU but one which has individual ac power switches. That way I can cut all ideal power from my entire setup when it isn't in use.

Now I'v found a couple of options for solutions for an individual switches ac power PDU or power strip but I'm unsure which to go with. I'm not yet fluent when it comes to understanding power and looking at specs. I wanted to get some opinions on which I should go with.

Here are some options I am considering. I need to have made a decision with in 40 hours of this post. I'v listed them mostly in order to what I'd most likely go with.

1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technical-Pro- ... 0#viTabs_0

+ 9 Outlets
+ Surge Protection
+ 1800 W total load
+15A Fuse rasily replaceable
+ Power cord is removable

-Blue Lights

2) https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pyle-PDBC7 ... SwIgNXqnmS

+ 9 Outlets
+ Surge Protection
+ Circuit Breaker

Unsure if the following two things are useful to me or not.

? Eliminates Unwanted Radio Frequency (RFI) and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)
?Built-in AC Noise Filter

- Blue Lights
- Non Removable Power Cord

3) https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-OUTLET-RACK ... xyjNlRyez2

+UL Listed
+5 Year Warrent
+Better Construction?
++ 10 Outlets
+Circuit Breaker
+Not Blue Lights

This one might actually move up on the list after reading reviews on amazon of the other two. Also companies don't tend to provide a warranty they think would be used. So hopefully a much longer life expectancy.

-Price
-No Removable Poweer Cord
- No Surge Protection (I will be plugging this into a UPS that will have surge protection so that shouldn't matter)

If you guys have any more suggestions on another product that might have more benefits let me know. Also if I'll be plugging in 1-2 CRTs and filling the remaining sockets will consoles do you think I'll have any issues power wise on overloading those power strips.
Last edited by Dragon89o on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavagePencil

Re: PDU, Power Strip, UPS, Power Switch Questions.

Post by SavagePencil »

I'm having trouble clicking those links. They appear to have been shortened and lost the content?
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

SavagePencil wrote:I'm having trouble clicking those links. They appear to have been shortened and lost the content?
Fixed. Thanks for letting me know.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Probably not what you're looking for, but I figured I'd chip in my experience. After seeing a bunch of non-surge PDUs like these powering a massive retro setup (Sorry, I don't recall which), I started looking for devices like these to power my retro setup. Unfortunately, every one I found on Amazon had poor reviews, with complaints of being very cheaply made--switches breaking, lights dying/going out, cheap components, some having a UL logo but not actually being UL listed, and so on. Admittedly, I don't remember if any of the models you found suffer the same problems.

I ended up giving up trying to find a quality PDU with individual switches and going with one of these CyberPower rackmount surge protectors. I moved recently and haven't gotten a chance to set everything back up, but I had one of these PDUs powering my consumer Sony TV, OSSC, component switch, Extron CrossPoint, RGB decoder, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, and NES. I would leave the power switches for the OSSC and PS2 on, and the component switch, CrossPoint, and decoder simply come online when they get power. For devices with wall-wart-style PSUs (OSSC, NES, component switch), I would use those 6-inch, three-prong extensions.

Personally, I think I would have preferred a 2U unit with all of the outlets on the back, but I liked only having to flip the single main switch, then turning on the TV and the console I wanted to use. (It's also cool to watch the CrossPoint, decoder, and OSSC all do their initialization light show.) Sure, it's not as granular as having individual switches, but I imagine the power savings over a single-switch PDU would be insignificant. Plus, this CyberPower PDU is a degree cheaper than two of your three candidates, adds surge protection (not that you need it hooked into a UPS, but it gives you the option of connecting directly to the mains), and you won't have to label anything. :P
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Take a look at some Furman gear.
It's not cheap but some of the most trusted stuff out there.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I'm super happy with the setup I use. I've got a 12 inch deep bookshelf with 6 usable shelves.

On top of the bookshelf I put a 1U Furman PL-8C for power conditioning as well as turning my entire setup off with one switch.

Then on each shelf I've got an individually switched Tripp Lite power strip. Each strip has a switch for 6 outlets, as well as a master switch for the whole shelf.

I actually have 1 shelf with the switched power strip bypassing the PL-8C. That's my "recharge shelf" that's always on for charging stuff. But I might relocate this to another location since I'm running out of space on the bookshelf as a whole.

I'll take pictures later tonight. But I think it's a fairly neat aesthetic as well.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

What's the issue with blue lights?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Pictures

I forgot to mention that I mount the individual strips to the back of each shelf for easy access and keep the wall warts a bit out of the way.

And with the lights off it turns into it's own light show.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

nmalinoski wrote: some having a UL logo but not actually being UL listed, and so on.
This is what I'm currently looking into. The third option (https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-OUTLET-RACK ... xyjNlRyez2) claims it's UL approved but I haven't been able to verify. How were you able to check?
nmalinoski wrote: I ended up giving up trying to find a quality PDU with individual switches and going with one of these CyberPower rackmount surge protectors.
I have quite a few monitors/tvs so I'd kind of prefer the individual switches. Also the indvidual switches not being surge protected I can simply connect to a UPS that conditions the power and also acts like a surge protector.
nmalinoski wrote: Sure, it's not as granular as having individual switches, but I imagine the power savings over a single-switch PDU would be insignificant.
Well ideally I'm aiming to collectivtily be more power efficient in the entire house and to save money over time. Ideally the PDU I buy goes for at least 10 years. [/quote]
DirkSwizzler wrote: Then on each shelf I've got an individually switched Tripp Lite power strip. Each strip has a switch for 6 outlets, as well as a master switch for the whole shelf.
I'm looking for something rack mountable preferably. Also even if I find a solution to that I'v read multiple reviews on the Tripp Lite Power Strip that customers had something burn out and almost smoking on some of the outlets. Not something I'd like to deal with haha.
GeneraLight wrote:What's the issue with blue lights?
Not a fan of the color blue and I find it more distracting then red haha.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

If you're getting a UPS I would get one that is online aka always running off battery power. That way you are always getting 120V AC all the time.Pure sine wave ones might be a concern, although it might not even matter for your purpose, ymmv.

If brownouts are a concern, I would recommend a voltage regulator as your first in line, than connect a UPS/surge protector to it. Basically the voltage regulator will provide a stable 120V.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:If you're getting a UPS I would get one that is online aka always running off battery power. That way you are always getting 120V AC all the time.Pure sine wave ones might be a concern, although it might not even matter for your purpose, ymmv.

If brownouts are a concern, I would recommend a voltage regulator as your first in line, than connect a UPS/surge protector to it. Basically the voltage regulator will provide a stable 120V.

I am about to buy a UPS though that also has those features if I remember correctly which I had planned on doing. Unless you still suggest buying two separate pieces of equipment instead of a 2 in 1. I guess when it comes time to replace the battery and I cant find a battery replacement I wont have to buy another 2-1 again only another UPS so it might save me money in the long run?
ChuChu Flamingo

The point of the voltage line regulator is to provide a stable 120V to whatever device is connected. It would be the first in your chain and is a form of power conditioning. Basically it is giant oversized transformer much like your old consoles power bricks.

Voltage regulator - UPS - Power Strips

Say you skip the voltage line regulator and have the online ups being the first in line against brownouts, surges etc. If the UPS is the first in line and there is no voltage regulator, it is going to take most of the abuse from surges and brownouts (which wreck these things).I rather replace a $50 device than $100++ should the need arise.

Here is a good one Rene from DBElectronics recommended, which he has first in line then a UPS connected to it. It is rated for 10 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Autom ... B00009RA60
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:The point of the voltage line regulator is to provide a stable 120V to whatever device is connected. It would be the first in your chain and is a form of power conditioning. Basically it is giant oversized transformer much like your old consoles power bricks.

Voltage regulator - UPS - Power Strips

Say you skip the voltage line regulator and have the online ups being the first in line against brownouts, surges etc. If the UPS is the first in line and there is no voltage regulator, it is going to take most of the abuse from surges and brownouts (which wreck these things).I rather replace a $50 device than $100++ should the need arise.

Here is a good one Rene from DBElectronics recommended, which he has first in line then a UPS connected to it. It is rated for 10 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Autom ... B00009RA60
That was some useful advice. I'm still learning about the electrical components. So you would suggest getting the voltage line regulator then into a UPS then into the power strip or PDU?

Also what is the difference between a voltage regulator and a power conditioner? When I had orginally considered doing a two in one I was looking at something like this but I hadn't done all of my homework on the topic yet. Also is this all over kill for my set up?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-av-j-t ... Id=2961342
ChuChu Flamingo

It is really just marketing terms as far as I understand. Power conditioner sounds better than voltage regulator eh?

Often times a lot of these devices sometimes do it all. Some UPS have voltage regulation (power conditioning), and surge protection. Some voltage regulators have surge protection. Some surge protectors have power conditioning. I can see how it can get confusing to those unfamiliar with it.

But yeah that setup sounds like the best if you want to have a relatively bulletproof setup in terms of protecting against brownouts, dirty power, and surges.

It might be overkill for what we do, but when you have thousands of dollars of stuff it is a small price to pay.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:It is really just marketing terms as far as I understand. Power conditioner sounds better than voltage regulator eh?

Often times a lot of these devices sometimes do it all. Some UPS have voltage regulation (power conditioning), and surge protection. Some voltage regulators have surge protection. Some surge protectors have power conditioning. I can see how it can get confusing to those unfamiliar with it.

But yeah that setup sounds like the best if you want to have a relatively bulletproof setup in terms of protecting against brownouts, dirty power, and surges.

It might be overkill for what we do, but when you have thousands of dollars of stuff it is a small price to pay.
Well that was all very useful information. I'll have to now maybe also consider getting a voltage regulator/power conditioner to plug my currently UPS into that my PC is plugged into haha.

Going back to the power switches though. What did you think of my top three selection or do you have something else you would suggest? I also looked into smart switched PDU that seemed to have similar functionality but there were no physical buttons so it had to be done through I'm hoping an app or potentially some software which wasn't ideal. I would like to come to a decision with in about 19 hours.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dragon89o wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: some having a UL logo but not actually being UL listed, and so on.
This is what I'm currently looking into. The third option (https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-OUTLET-RACK ... xyjNlRyez2) claims it's UL approved but I haven't been able to verify. How were you able to check?
With http://productspec.ul.com/. It's a bit of a pain to navigate, but you should be able to find a section for power strips, which should have one or more entries for the manufacturer, and then a listing of that manufacturer's UL-listed products.
Dragon89o

Post by Dragon89o »

nmalinoski wrote:
Dragon89o wrote:
With http://productspec.ul.com/. It's a bit of a pain to navigate, but you should be able to find a section for power strips, which should have one or more entries for the manufacturer, and then a listing of that manufacturer's UL-listed products.
Yeah, so unless I'm navigating incorrectly. I'v tried searching by a keyword for the type of product then looking up the brand name. I searched multiple keywords and checked every suggestion they gave me and wasn't able to find the brand or the product. I'v also tried searching straight for the company and also for the model number of the product using another site. Trying to find the brand "A-Neutronics". I'm in contact with I'm guessing the sales rep with the company and he is trying to reassure me that they do have it UL verified and they spend a lot of money to get it verified. He also claims KFC and Taco Bell uses the same product. Like that is supposed to be reassuring of the product quality haha but it would be a random lie so I dont know.

Any thoughts?
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I'm super happy with the setup I use. I've got a 12 inch deep bookshelf with 6 usable shelves.

On top of the bookshelf I put a 1U Furman PL-8C for power conditioning as well as turning my entire setup off with one switch.

Then on each shelf I've got an individually switched Tripp Lite power strip. Each strip has a switch for 6 outlets, as well as a master switch for the whole shelf.

I actually have 1 shelf with the switched power strip bypassing the PL-8C. That's my "recharge shelf" that's always on for charging stuff. But I might relocate this to another location since I'm running out of space on the bookshelf as a whole.

I'll take pictures later tonight. But I think it's a fairly neat aesthetic as well.
I've been using various power strips to hook everything up, but I still have my Furman M-8X2 that I use too. This is an awesome idea!