E3 2018 - Sweaty Businessman Summer Catalogue

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Durandal

Re: E3 2018 - Sweaty Businessman Summer Catalogue

Post by Durandal »

NINTENDO DID IT
THE ACTUAL MADMEN
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Durandal wrote:NINTENDO DID IT
THE ACTUAL MADMEN
What - not announce any games? Not show us anything of Metroid Prime 4? Declare the 3DS dead? And where is F-Zero (again)?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Hey, speaking of giant robot games, a couple of Armored Core people making a mecha game on the Switch. The only game* that I said "wow, that looks cool!"

*excepting mah boy Ridley, but that's not a 'game'.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Yeah that one looks god. My first thought was a spinoff of Xenoblade X...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Limited Run Games > Microsoft > PC Gaming Show > Devolver Digital > Ubisoft > Square Enix > Nintendo > Sony > Electronic Arts.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

EmperorIng wrote:Hey, speaking of giant robot games, a couple of Armored Core people making a mecha game on the Switch. The only game* that I said "wow, that looks cool!"

*excepting mah boy Ridley, but that's not a 'game'.
Daemon ex machina is made by armored core people? Where did you find that info?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Folks online (twitter etc.) pointed out that the trailer credits list Kenichiro Tsukada, who's worked on AC games in the past. Another plus is the presence of Shoji Kawamori (Macross guy, but also mech designer for the Armored Core series).
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I'm reminded For Answer most specifically, with the free-flying and big Arms Fort-like enemies. The extreme color saturation give it a distinct look, even if mech design elements like the angular heads and boxy shoulder missile launchers could have come straight from AC1.

I think the game that most interests me so far is DMC5. I wouldn't have chosen Nero as the lead again, but it looks on track to be better than DMC4.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Highlights: Sekiro, DMC5, Resident Evil 2, Tales of Vesperia DE, Dragon Quest XI trailer, Spider-Man looks much better than last year, Metal Wolf Chaos port, Fist of the North Star localization, Nioh 2, Daemon X Machina, Forza Horizon 4 (still haven't played 3, or any of them for that matter, but they look great).

Disappointments: No Bayonetta 3 trailer, still no word on an EDF5 localization, Ghost of Tsushima looks like a higher budget Ubisoft game with bad animation. Overall, pretty bad E3. Capcom won.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

iconoclast wrote:Highlights: Sekiro, DMC5, Resident Evil 2, Tales of Vesperia DE, Dragon Quest XI trailer, Spider-Man looks much better than last year, Metal Wolf Chaos port, Fist of the North Star localization, Nioh 2, Daemon X Machina, Forza Horizon 4 (still haven't played 3, or any of them for that matter, but they look great).

Disappointments: No Bayonetta 3 trailer, still no word on an EDF5 localization, Ghost of Tsushima looks like a higher budget Ubisoft game with bad animation. Overall, pretty bad E3. Capcom won.
Horizon 2 is on sale for $5 and is a good entry into the series. I hadn't played any before the weekend and it sold me that Horizon is a good Forza series. E3 this year is kinda meh aside from a few things. What a shame!
Austin

Post by Austin »

I thought Nintendo's Direct presentation was pretty good... well, that is until it went full-on Smash Bros for the second half of it. At least they showed off a bunch of games up to that point.
iconoclast wrote:Ghost of Tsushima looks like a higher budget Ubisoft game with bad animation.
Glad someone else said it. People I follow seem to be raving about it, but when I look at it, all I can think is, "That animation looks janky as hell."
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

ZellSF wrote:Devolver Digital made me smile for 20 minutes. Seems it was mainly to announce Metal Wolf Chaos XD.
Yeah, Mahria Zook (Nina Struthers - Devolver CEO) is a fine actress. Indeed, seems like the presentation was mainly for Metal Wolf Chaos XD, also with the sillyness and violence I expect from the game. The game seems to fit their catalogue. I'm looking foward to that.
That and Tsushima
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

wgogh wrote:
ZellSF wrote:Devolver Digital made me smile for 20 minutes. Seems it was mainly to announce Metal Wolf Chaos XD.
Yeah, Mahria Zook (Nina Struthers - Devolver CEO) is a fine actress. Indeed, seems like the presentation was mainly for Metal Wolf Chaos XD, also with the sillyness and violence I expect from the game. The game seems to fit their catalogue. I'm looking foward to that.
That and Tsushima
My Friend Pedro was also a highlight for me from the Devolver presentation. That game looks like riot!
qmish

Post by qmish »

One of best E3 of past 5 years or so, imho.

Unravel 2, Sea of Solitude, Devil May Cry 5, Sekiroh Shadow Die Twice, Babylon's Fall, Quiet Man, Skull and Bones, Yakuza pc ports, Forgotten City, Night Call, Sable, Ghost of Suchi, Control, RE2make, Death Stranding: Ray Bradbary X Herbert Wells Edition, Kingdom Hearts of Carribean Sea, Deracine, Daemon X Machina, Metal Wolf Chaos XD (why downgraded gfx though?), Cuphead dlc, Doom Eternal, Nioh 2, Doa6, My friend Pedro etc. etc. etc.

Not sure abot tlou2 and others like division or whatever. dying light 2 looked ok.

We all know Tetris Effect is this year's GOTY though.
Jonny2x4 wrote:
I'm almost ashamed at owning a PS4 now, especially now that the Yakuza games are getting PC ports.
But M2 shmup releases and Disaster Report 4...
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

A lot of "oh cool" but Daemon X Machina is exactly the sort of surprise I hope for come E3 and what we need to see more of on Switch - something that's designed for the hardware and isn t a sequel/port/rehash. Here's hoping it doesn't end up Front Mission Evolved though.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - well doesn't that just stink of the Fire Emblem Fates business model? Honestly hope it's just a full game and not what we saw with Fates - buy the DLC or this special edition which is 90% in the hands of scalpers within seconds of release.

Microsoft, honestly expected more coming from them later this year than we got. I've been really disappointed with xbone exclusives but did pretty much go with it for Halo/Gears continuation and a comfortable gamepad. Still, it's been slim pickings since Gears 4. Gears 5 they desperately need because that Halo announcement is a fucking engine tech demo and even then looks pretty shit in places (can we do trees that aren't two 2D shapes yet?). It's going to be a loooong time away. Betting on Metroid Prime 4 arriving first?
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Can anyone explain to me the appeal of The Last of Us? I kinda loathe the Uncharted trilogy on PS3 to be honest and never bothered to even try Part 4, despite owning a copy that came with my PS4 console. It seems like a RE4 knockoff that takes itself too seriously.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Uncharted is trash imo but I ended up liking The Last of Us. It plays more like The Evil Within than RE4. Resources are limited, so most of the time you're stealthing through encounters and searching through each area for more parts, only shooting enemies when you have to. There's nothing special about the story itself - it's basic zombie survival stuff that's been done 1000000 times, but it's well told and has likable characters. It's not the Best Game Ever For Mature Adults that it's hyped up to be, but I enjoyed it enough to get all of the trophies. (TEW is better)
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Evil Within is a series I've been meaning to try out for a while (in fact, I'm more interested in them that TLOU), but I've been prioritizing PS4-exclusives since I plan on getting a decent gaming PC at some point in the future for multiplats.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BIL wrote:
Durandal wrote:What do you think we’ll see? Let’s all tune in and find out!
Gamergate suicide bombers.
Begging the Commander's pardon;
I believe op asked for Predictions, not Prescriptions.

Also;
Spoiler
Message received, Boss!

BIL

Post by BIL »

Zen wrote:I believe op asked for Predictions, not Prescriptions.

Also; Message received, Boss!
Inshallah! Remember to mix in some bacon bits. :wink:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm very puzzled by the recent e3s. It used to be a platform for announcing new games, but now it seems to be a platform for showing off games that have already been announced. Most of Nintendo's announcements where things already hinted at with very few surprises. They also purposely held back things like 3DS games, Metroid Prime 4, Yoshi, and Netflix. Reggie's PR nonsense does nothing to help the situation.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It used to be relevant back in the magazine era, but we have the internet now. And a functioning indie game scene.

No need for the middle man or a clusterball of announcements cannibalizing the spotlight. Just tell your customers you've got a thing coming out Nintendo Directly.

Been more than a decade since it's been a shambling zombie nobody really cares about and everyone wonders why any of them bother to go through the motions. These days it's an object of outright mockery.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Oh, its so much more than that, BryanM. So much more.

It's a sacred boondoggle by and for, the made up profession of "Public Relations".
It's a place were middle-aged, congenitally annoying men, wear "cool" clothes and pretend they are giving a TED Talk.
It's a place where paid audiences, of pretend console fanboys, whoop and chirp like loons.
It's a place where they never got past Bernays, convince themselves that they control our perception and feign hysterical blindness to their lolcow status.

Top notch cringe.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Holy fuck, I forgot deep down was a thing.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Devolver Digital had an almost watchable sketch show. It's nice to see Croatia Team's still kicking around. Lootbox Coins' fluctuating price in their shop was cute.

On the TEDification of society, the Onion Talks was a great pisstake.

There was this one Blizzcon where I was watching the opening ceremony live, which is where they drop all the announcements. Chris Metzen's long droning speech about how nerds that play video games are better than Jesus and Mother Theresa combined made me curl up inside myself and die.

American Ninja Warrior is the same way, where they'll have a 6 minute human interest piece on some choad that falls in the water 13 seconds into his run. When in the same timespan, the real Sasuke would have around 8 people fail or ~4 people fail and one guy actually clear the stage. (And still provide a human interest piece in a brief voice over while the starting clock counts down.)

Always trying to pump things up into something bigger than it really is. Hype and bullshit has replaced substance in our country.