Ikaruga on PS4?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Necronom

Ikaruga on PS4?

Post by Necronom »

Didn't want to bump up some super old topic, so I created a new one...

According to the German ratings board USK it seems there's a high chance of an Ikaruga release on PS4.
http://www.usk.de/titelsuche/aktuell-geprueft/

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a "Treasure-Box" bundle with Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga :D
Yeah, I know...one can dream :wink:
ciox

Re: Ikaruga on PS4?

Post by ciox »

After the Steam port, any more rereleases of this game need to have some extra content to get me excited, even if I'm a die hard fan. The "ikaruga mode" in the Radiant Silvergun port was a nice example.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Maybe it's their way of testing the waters for the "mythical" Ubusuna?
Only because Ubusuna is developed by M2 doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be published by Treasure...
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

If there is an RSG/Ikaruga collection I'd definitely put it on my shopping list, even though I already have them on Saturn, DC and 360. Might even sell my copy of Saturn RSG.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

ciox wrote:After the Steam port, any more rereleases of this game need to have some extra content to get me excited, even if I'm a die hard fan. The "ikaruga mode" in the Radiant Silvergun port was a nice example.
This basically. Radiant Silvergun should have been on Steam like yesterday.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Oniros wrote:
ciox wrote:After the Steam port, any more rereleases of this game need to have some extra content to get me excited, even if I'm a die hard fan. The "ikaruga mode" in the Radiant Silvergun port was a nice example.
This basically. Radiant Silvergun should have been on Steam like yesterday.

Having any of these games more accessible would be great... I'd probably buy them just for convenience. Both are spectacular even if some of us are tired of seeing ikaruga constantly referenced. A nice artbook or something like the recent Garegga package would make it worthwhile even if there were no extra gameplay content.

However, I wouldn't hold your breath on the 360 port of RS appearing anywhere else - Microsoft had been after it as part of their Japanese initiative and I believe offered some kind of deal in getting Treasure to even agree to re-visit it. Whilst normally this shouldn't rule out a pc release I believe Treasure were a rather reluctant to re-visit RS for whatever reason... but who knows ... now they're less of an ongoing concern, plus some relaxing of attitudes over platform loyalty (even if not specified in a contract), this might change some minds as to re-visiting old work... I think that RS and Guardian Heroes were reported to be pretty smooth sailing in terms of getting them out the door - not sure they ever did the business on the 360 that Ikaruga did though...

But yes a treasure collection would indeed be a very special thing, on any platform...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Necronom wrote:Maybe it's their way of testing the waters for the "mythical" Ubusuna?
Only because Ubusuna is developed by M2 doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be published by Treasure...
That's what I'm thinking...
Fingers crossed.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

This having any connection to Ubusuna seems unlikely. Hiroshi Iuchi posted this on his website just a few months ago:

(google translate)
Another project that occurred due to various circumstances written before Ubusuna here ended the other day. · · · However, the responsible programmer continued to call another project's help, and because it was supposed to be unable to return for a while, it is still dangling state. There is no staff, and the work is piled up, so the parts that can be advanced on an individual basis continue, but I do not know what will become of the overall outlook.
Honestly, as a whole company talk, I am in a state of doubt as to whether I am willing to proceed with this project, so I can not say anything now. I'm really sorry.
Seems like the project is in an uncertain state with no assigned resources.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I'd be excited for Ikaruga on PS4 just for the convenience, honestly.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ikaruga is such a beautiful game, but I'm wondering how well that would up-scale, unless they retooled the graphics. I'd be curious to see that.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

FRO wrote:Ikaruga is such a beautiful game, but I'm wondering how well that would up-scale, unless they retooled the graphics. I'd be curious to see that.
The Steam , Xbox 360 , and Nesica X Live Versions support 1080P
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Tokyo-J wrote:The Steam , Xbox 360 , and Nesica X Live Versions support 1080P
The Nesicaxlive and 360 versions are both 720p, only the Steam port supports rendering at a native 1080p.
ciox

Post by ciox »

I also have a hunch that only the 360 version has sharpened/enhanced textures compared to the original... I didn't study this in-depth but it's a hunch from watching videos of the 360 version and seeing how it looks on my brother's 360, it also somewhat adds up because Hiroshi Iuchi was credited for enhancing graphics on the 360 port, but he was not involved nor credited (for additional work) in the Steam port.
The old textures hold up pretty well anyway, but there is that nagging feeling that they're a little sharper on 360 than anywhere else.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Treasure teased an announcement last year when they proclaimed they would never work on mobile games.

So.

Is this it?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Durandal wrote:Treasure teased an announcement last year when they proclaimed they would never work on mobile games.

So.

Is this it?
Based on the Switch release and the announcement of the PS4 version, apparently so. We're halfway into the year and nothing else has been announced by them. I guess "The Year of Ikaruga Ports" is better than nothing, but I was personally hoping for the announcement of a new/original title.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Switch is pretty mobile 8)

All these Ikaruga ports but no Radiant Silvergun in sight...
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm guessing Ika has that much more name recognition and chance to sell to the filthy masses than RS. Not expecting anything to change.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't know if you remember it the same way I do but RS remained the more popular game for many years even as both games coexisted, it's only with the 360 and PC ports (the latter especially) that Ikaruga became a favourite.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Xyga wrote:I don't know if you remember it the same way I do but RS remained the more popular game for many years even as both games coexisted, it's only with the 360 and PC ports (the latter especially) that Ikaruga became a favourite.
Both are fairly obscure. But I whilst I feel the myth of RS was greater earlier on as a very niche thing, I don't remember it even being close in popularity terms by the time ikaruga came out ... certainly by the time of the gamecube port, which really made the niche dreamcast darling just that bit more accessible and pushed it past the RS myth for sure imho.

Not sure I'd ever say made it popular :) but by 00's there were plenty of enthusiast players who were never going to bother with the a saturn (let alone an expensive japanese only game), whereas ikaruga quickly became a cheap contemporary get on gamecube, and at the same time the dc was easily acquired+pirated for the cost of a regular game - how I'd wager a lot of general western enthusiast gamers actually got hold of ikaruga ... and remains their main reference for 'bullet hell' because there was at least some contemporary popular press/internet buzz about it, no matter how accessible ddp is on mame.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Ikaruga has always had more mainstream cache, not least of all because it's a game people were actually able to play when it was new.

Treasure has very few employees and only owns a handful of the games (and ports) they worked on. They're only capable of so much.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Of course I'm talking popularity within the niche demographics, I wasn't present on english-speaking communities back then but my experience was different, in France even with the DC and GC releases Ikaruga for sure was a respected title but not with the same aura and popularity (note that iirc the PAL GC port was limited to 50Hz and unlike the DC the GC import business was very tiny here so that didn't help) Here in France RS was one of the first superplays featured on the nolife cable tv.
The balance shifted progressively in favor of Ikaruga over time yes, but before that getting a Saturn with RS didn't stop people (we also had decent local sources for modded Saturns so that helped, maybe)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FRO

Post by FRO »

Shepardus wrote:All these Ikaruga ports but no Radiant Silvergun in sight...
This part bums me out. As much as I enjoy Ikaruga, and will be adding the Switch port to my short list to buy, once things aren't so tight, the fact that this game has been ported everywhere, but we've only seen RS on the 360 is disappointing. Why it hasn't hit other modern platforms yet is beyond me.
pmp

Post by pmp »

Probably a combination of it being harder to port with lower potential return. Ikaruga is a full 3D game with a known name and existing PC port. In comparison RSGs mix of sprites and blocky 3D is dated, and a port from the 360, let alone Saturn, would be quite costly.
From my understanding, RSG only got a 360 port in the first place because Microsoft directly requested it. I doubt that will happen with Nintendo or Sony.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

FRO wrote:Why it hasn't hit other modern platforms yet is beyond me.
They made it backwards compatible on xbox one....
pmp

Post by pmp »

If only there was a reason to own an xbone
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Gosh, there are plenty upon plenty reasons now.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

nope. there are absolutely no reasons to own an xbox one. most pointless console of all time, even more than the wii u.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hey, I've got an Xbox One! It brilliant, I use it all the time for...... nah, sorry. Though I do need to pick up Rare Replay.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

for a while the XBONE was everybody's favorite Netflix player around here
then I got a couple of smart TVs and it was shelved
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that said, I'd still get Ikaruga for it or the PS4 even if I don't like the game much