gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote:Hi SuperG, what's the protocol for gscartsw stock? I'm in the market and they are always out!
I'm working on a new version, I think most people would want to order a new one rather than getting older, that's why I stopped manufacturing older one. After I finish it, there should be minimal delays between batches.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Hi SuperG, what's the protocol for gscartsw stock? I'm in the market and they are always out!
I'm working on a new version, I think most people would want to order a new one rather than getting older, that's why I stopped manufacturing older one. After I finish it, there should be minimal delays between batches.
I realize a new version is coming, I did mean to say the gscartsw_lite, not gscartsw. Is the newest version so different that the current is obsolete? Sorry for confusion, just wanted to know when something would be in stock. Looks like I've started looking during a transition period!
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote:
superg wrote:
I realize a new version is coming, I did mean to say the gscartsw_lite, not gscartsw. Is the newest version so different that the current is obsolete? Sorry for confusion, just wanted to know when something would be in stock. Looks like I've started looking during a transition period!
I usually do only one switch version at a time. gscartsw_lite had substituted gscartsw v3.4 and now the newer SoG version will substitute lite.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

Any plans to re-introduce the audio jack into the design? I get that it was only there initially to support the DE-15 and that didn't see a lot of use, but the 3.5mm audio jack was great because it made it super-simple to break the audio out. I realize I can buy a breakout box for one of the SCART outputs, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it.

If my ninja-consumer skills are ever strong enough to manage to get another gscartsw* then I'll probably chain the new one behind my 3.4 just so I can continue using the audio jack, but it would still be nice to see it return in case I wanted to use the switches separately.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Another plus for the audio jack being reintroduced; otherwise you're having to use a SCART socket purely to route audio.
The Spaniard

Post by The Spaniard »

Would be nice to have that feature included.

I would guess it wont add too much to the cost?
konkers

Post by konkers »

Also long as we're begging for features.... I have a pie in the sky dream where a SCART switch could tell my OSSC which profile to use. Looking at the OSSC schematic, there's no good way to do this (maybe hijack the remote input?). Would it be possible to add an unpopulated footprint to the gscartsw that has the 4 bit value of which input is active? That would enable me to build some glue HW connect the two.
TorgoPSN

Post by TorgoPSN »

konkers wrote:Also long as we're begging for features.... I have a pie in the sky dream where a SCART switch could tell my OSSC which profile to use. Looking at the OSSC schematic, there's no good way to do this (maybe hijack the remote input?). Would it be possible to add an unpopulated footprint to the gscartsw that has the 4 bit value of which input is active? That would enable me to build some glue HW connect the two.
Does the OSSC even support that?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

TorgoPSN wrote:
konkers wrote:Also long as we're begging for features.... I have a pie in the sky dream where a SCART switch could tell my OSSC which profile to use. Looking at the OSSC schematic, there's no good way to do this (maybe hijack the remote input?). Would it be possible to add an unpopulated footprint to the gscartsw that has the 4 bit value of which input is active? That would enable me to build some glue HW connect the two.
Does the OSSC even support that?
No. The current iteration of the OSSC does not support any kind of serial input, nor any kind of remote control beyond the IR sensor.

I recently had a similar idea, where a Raspberry Pi (Or any other IoT device with similar capability) would be paired with an IR transmitter and a web interface to:
1. Batch-program profiles; and
2. Switch input based on readings from one or more gscartsw/gcompsw EXT headers, connected to the GPIO (or via a prefab hat).

I ordered an IRDroid USB IR transmitter that should be arriving today; if it's compatible with the OSSC, I'm going to try to get something going this weekend.
funky327

Post by funky327 »

I was curious as to whether or not there is going to be a JP21 version of the upcoming designs? For what it's worth, I'd like to request it!

Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

funky327 wrote:I was curious as to whether or not there is going to be a JP21 version of the upcoming designs? For what it's worth, I'd like to request it!

Thanks!
No, I suggest to upgrade your cables.
Jester

Post by Jester »

coderkind wrote:Another plus for the audio jack being reintroduced; otherwise you're having to use a SCART socket purely to route audio.
+1 for audio jack.
funky327

Post by funky327 »

superg wrote:
funky327 wrote:I was curious as to whether or not there is going to be a JP21 version of the upcoming designs? For what it's worth, I'd like to request it!

Thanks!
No, I suggest to upgrade your cables.
Is there simply no demand for the JP21 version?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

funky327 wrote:Is there simply no demand for the JP21 version?
There is demand (ie. you). But not enough.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

the Goat wrote:
funky327 wrote:Is there simply no demand for the JP21 version?
There is demand (ie. you). But not enough.
And since there are pass-through pin adapters. The community has landed on scart as the winning pinout to actively support.
mikaeltarquin

Post by mikaeltarquin »

Does anyone have any experience using the gscartsw with the Mak Superguns? I'm wondering if they experience the same problems as the Windy ones.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

I am interested in having YPbPr work on the gscartsw as well so I can get rid of my cheap component switcher.
I am thinking that it might work if the sync isn't stripped from Green/Y and is just regenerated on the sync line on the scart head in a pseudo RGsBS output mode. I do not know how TVs/scalers with handle SoG and RGBS signal out at the same time so it will be interesting hearing SuperG's test results and the solution he goes with.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dazdigo wrote:I am interested in having YPbPr work on the gscartsw as well so I can get rid of my cheap component switcher.
I am thinking that it might work if the sync isn't stripped from Green/Y and is just regenerated on the sync line on the scart head in a pseudo RGsBS output mode. I do not know how TVs/scalers with handle SoG and RGBS signal out at the same time so it will be interesting hearing SuperG's test results and the solution he goes with.
To my understanding (and he can correct me if I'm wrong), superg has no plans to offer different forwarding modes. He may include a switch to toggle the sync stripping functionality, but he has said he has no intention to offer forwarding without sync stripping. I expect the new gscartsw_lite will always strip sync from green when it's present, meaning sync will also be stripped from Y, and the resulting signal will be incompatible with any YPbPr devices, unless you run it back through a sync combiner (something that can take RGBS and convert to RGsB).

Ultimately, I think trying to use YPbPr sources with the new gscartsw_lite will be futile. You're going to be better off buying a better component switch (gcompsw, or Audio Authority 1154A/1154B if you need TOSLINK), and a ShinyBow SB-2840 to link your gscartsw into your component switch; or, if you absolutely need RGB output, you'll probably have to track down a YPbPr to RGBS transcoder, which can be quite hard to find these days.
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote: To my understanding (and he can correct me if I'm wrong), superg has no plans to offer different forwarding modes. He may include a switch to toggle the sync stripping functionality, but he has said he has no intention to offer forwarding without sync stripping. I expect the new gscartsw_lite will always strip sync from green when it's present, meaning sync will also be stripped from Y, and the resulting signal will be incompatible with any YPbPr devices, unless you run it back through a sync combiner (something that can take RGBS and convert to RGsB).

Ultimately, I think trying to use YPbPr sources with the new gscartsw_lite will be futile. You're going to be better off buying a better component switch (gcompsw, or Audio Authority 1154A/1154B if you need TOSLINK), and a ShinyBow SB-2840 to link your gscartsw into your component switch; or, if you absolutely need RGB output, you'll probably have to track down a YPbPr to RGBS transcoder, which can be quite hard to find these days.
This!
(was too lazy to reply)
beast1x5

Post by beast1x5 »

sync stripping ftw!!! let's go!!!
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Superg,

I was just wondering if you have a rough estimate about availability of the new gscartsw. I am struggling with 8 rgb devices and switching cables all the time- it’s like making black SCART spaghetti each time. I’d rather buy your product than the shinybow, so I am wondering if you have any idea when it might become available. If not, that’s fine but I may have missed some update in the thread about it.
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

The first post was updated a couple of days ago with:

ETA August 2018
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

August is perfect for me. I should have the funds by then.
lagfighter

Post by lagfighter »

superg wrote:
lagfighter wrote:Hi superg! I ordered a gscartsw_lite and gcompsw a while back and have been really loving both for use with my Framemeister. Great work on these products!!

I very recently picked up a PVM and am now interested in feeding output from both of these switches into the PVM. The PVM(-14L5) seems to only have one set of BNC RGB input. Since gscartsw_lite has two SCART outputs, a SCART <-> BNC adapter from the gscartsw_lite's other SCART output seems like a really good way to get my SCART RGB signals into the PVM.

My question, then, is this: for my gcompsw / component devices, would it be possible to get a Component <-> SCART transcoder (like BeharBros Garo or the $60 one on Amazon) and chain the gcompsw into the gscartsw_lite, for eventual simultaneous output to my PVM and Framemeister via RGB? Will these two devices interact correctly in this way? Or is there potentially a better way to also feed in my component sources to the PVM (and notably keep a stream going into my Framemeister)?

Thanks!
Transcoder solution should work, some users are doing this. Also if you're tech savvy you can carefully route passive SCART to Component adapter because both gcompsw and gscartsw are electrically compatible. I think somebody also did that.
Very cool, I'm thinking I want to go for this solution. Thanks!

That said, I'm now seeing that the Garo is all sold out, and it may not be coming back any time soon. Does anyone know of another good Component to SCART transcoder? Does the "direction" (either RGB -> Component or Component -> RGB) even matter, since it's just converting the color space? In other words, the Shinybow SB-2840 is a highly regarded SCART input to Component output transcoder, but could I also use that with Component input and SCART output? Maybe that's obvious, but no one seems to mention this is actually possible. :D
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Hey superg, very excited for the next gscart, will the existing 3d printed mounts mentioned in this thread work with the latest model or is there change in physical specifications?
superg

Post by superg »

cook99 wrote:Hey superg, very excited for the next gscart, will the existing 3d printed mounts mentioned in this thread work with the latest model or is there change in physical specifications?
Yeah, it should still work, I'm not altering the case in any way.
lagfighter wrote: That said, I'm now seeing that the Garo is all sold out, and it may not be coming back any time soon. Does anyone know of another good Component to SCART transcoder? Does the "direction" (either RGB -> Component or Component -> RGB) even matter, since it's just converting the color space? In other words, the Shinybow SB-2840 is a highly regarded SCART input to Component output transcoder, but could I also use that with Component input and SCART output? Maybe that's obvious, but no one seems to mention this is actually possible. :D
It's usually unidirectional.
lagfighter

Post by lagfighter »

superg wrote:
cook99 wrote:Hey superg, very excited for the next gscart, will the existing 3d printed mounts mentioned in this thread work with the latest model or is there change in physical specifications?
Yeah, it should still work, I'm not altering the case in any way.
lagfighter wrote: That said, I'm now seeing that the Garo is all sold out, and it may not be coming back any time soon. Does anyone know of another good Component to SCART transcoder? Does the "direction" (either RGB -> Component or Component -> RGB) even matter, since it's just converting the color space? In other words, the Shinybow SB-2840 is a highly regarded SCART input to Component output transcoder, but could I also use that with Component input and SCART output? Maybe that's obvious, but no one seems to mention this is actually possible. :D
It's usually unidirectional.
Ah, bummer, but thanks for the heads up. If anyone has had success using the Shinybow in this way, would be very interested to hear!

I reached out to BeharBros though, and it seems like there is a new Garo in development, so there is hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel.
superg

Post by superg »

I've finally found the reason for the new gscartsw power issue I reported earlier. Have to mod the protos with new IC before I can start working on SoG. On a bright note the new proto currently has all latest gscartsw_lite functionality.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

August is just right for my birthday. Can't wait! : :D
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

@superg, I'm not sure if you have already answered this or not, if you have I apologise as I couldn't find it on the your website.

On the outputs of the gscart lite and also the gscartsw 3.4, what voltages are on pin 8 and pin 16? Does it just forward on what it receives in the inputs, or does it output standardized voltages to switch to 4:3 and RGB.

The reason I ask is because if I connect my SNES directly to a Sony CRT using a standard RGB SCART cable, it defaults to 16:9 mode (meaning it probably has 5V connected to pin 8 ). However if I run the SNES to your switch then out to the CRT, it auto switches to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio (meaning there is 9.5 to 12V on pin 8???).

As for pin 16 I'm assuming it outputs somewhere between 1 to 3V.

I'm in the process of building a custom cable to daisy chain the outputs of my PVM to the SCART input on the Sony CRT, and I just wanted to make sure I build it correctly.

Thanks!