OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Harrumph

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Harrumph »

You mean 960p output?
Fudoh wrote:I could imagine that the alternating scanlines don't work for 960i output.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

of course, sorry.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

I'm building a batch of OSSC boards and I've run into a snag with parts sourcing. Does anyone know of a drop in replacement for U10? According to Mouser the S25FL216K is an end of life product, and the only place I can find it is on Aliexpress. If there is a current production part available I'd love to know about it.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I was toying with a processor this week that required SXGA input and figured I'd share these OSSC timings for anyone that hasn't tried them.

240px4 and 480ix4 to SXGA.
H.samplerate=858
H.synclen=62
H.backporch=107
H.active=640
V.synclen=3
V.backporch=2
V.active=256
We apologise for the inconvenience
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Any chance FBX (or other optimal timings gurus) can help me figuring out those oddball resolution - 704x240 I believe? - Saturn games such as Winter Heat?

Thanks in advance! ^_-
FBX

Post by FBX »

Galdelico wrote:Any chance FBX (or other optimal timings gurus) can help me figuring out those oddball resolution - 704x240 I believe? - Saturn games such as Winter Heat?

Thanks in advance! ^_-
Damn, sorry I missed this one on the last Saturn go round. I'll burn an ISO of that game and get back to you on that.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

So much appreciated, thank you. ^_-

And please don't apologize, you're doing once again a fantastic job. I just take the freedom to ask - whenever I stumble upon things I can't figure out myself - and I really hope I don't sound like 'hey, you forgot this, hurry up and sort it out!', because I feel super grateful you even take the time to read and reply. :)
FBX

Post by FBX »

Bad news: 704x240 cannot be optimally timed. It's way too far out of range. You must use "Generic 4:3" mode for whatever lineXx scale you use. Besides that, if you could optimally time it, the screen would look ridiculous. Imagine looking at a ribbon instead of a typical game window. That's how bad 704x240 would be in square pixels.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Thanks for having it checked.
Yeah, I was under the same impression... The frame just looked super wonky, no way I could bring it back to usable values.

I'll set up an extra 'generic' profile, thank you again. ^_-
FBX

Post by FBX »

What we'd need are independent horizontal scaling from the vertical line scaling. That way, you could say optimally time the 704 (would still require a range increase on the OSSC's firmware) at 2x scale, and then set the vertical to 4x scale, giving a 1408x960 image, which is much more reasonable.

Edit: And I should specify that you can optimally time 704 when the vertical is at 480, but not 240.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

I'm running my SNES 1chip at 5x optimal timing based on FBX video.
I've used 240p suite and the checkerboard is static, no noise that I can see, all pixels are solid.

When playing Donkey Kong Country 2, on the first level, I see the background flickering.
Just the sky above the ship background.

Anyone ever noticed this?
Tried changing the degrees settings but this didn't improve anything.
FBX

Post by FBX »

fandangos wrote:I'm running my SNES 1chip at 5x optimal timing based on FBX video.
I've used 240p suite and the checkerboard is static, no noise that I can see, all pixels are solid.

When playing Donkey Kong Country 2, on the first level, I see the background flickering.

Was it the very top pixel row or the whole background? Does it still flicker if you change the output mode to generic 4:3?
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

FBX wrote:
fandangos wrote:I'm running my SNES 1chip at 5x optimal timing based on FBX video.

Was it the very top pixel row or the whole background? Does it still flicker if you change the output mode to generic 4:3?
Still flicker at generic 4:3.
It's just a part of the background.

Painted it red the part that keeps flickering
Super low res but you get can the idea.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I'd have to say that's game-related and not output related, especially since you can still see the flicker in generic 4:3 mode. It might possibly part of that whole 'jitter' issue with NES and SNES sync timing, but I doubt it would manifest in one area of the screen like that. It might even be a 1-chip compatibility issue.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

humm.. maybe..

I was playing it with a SD2Snes. I'll try with the real game cartridge and get back with my results.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Seems like a 1-chip thing, cannot see it on my 2-chip (SuperCIC modded PAL in NTSC mode), also using SD2SNES.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Or an IGR glitch?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Harrumph wrote:Seems like a 1-chip thing, cannot see it on my 2-chip (SuperCIC modded PAL in NTSC mode), also using SD2SNES.
Dunno, I have a 1-chip and I haven't noticed any issues in any DKC game (with real carts).
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best TCL 4K TV to use with the OSSC? I remember Bob and Voultar were talking about one but I can't remember where.

It looks like TCL TV's are now available on Amazon UK, I thought they were USA only?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

IIRC usually the TCL models sold in Europe are quite different from the US's, with much less impressive specs and performance.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Xyga wrote:IIRC usually the TCL models sold in Europe are quite different from the US's, with much less impressive specs and performance.
Ah OK, that sucks...thanks for the info though. Did you check out the 2018 versions? Not much info on them yet as they're not officially released until June 25th.

TCL-43DP608

TCL-43DP648
Oliversum

Post by Oliversum »

I have a question regarding using a PAL Gamecube with Scart-RGB with Gameboy Interface on an OSSC 1.6. Maybe Harrumph can help me out as I have seen posts of his
here and in other forums regarding the OSSC and GBI.

Did you ever get GBI running in (near) fullscreen? I can't get it to run in fullscreen with a somewhat decent picture (only in interlaced mode) (also black picture on Line5x and 1920x1080p).
I'm missing a zoom function like the Framemeister had. I already tested different .cli file settings, not getting the results I want. I also found a google doc file with optimized modes
(made by Harrumph), but I don't know which of the settings I have to make in what menu, as some of them are not available in the OSSC menu (like H. FrontP, H.Blank, V.Blank, etc.).
Some more detailed info on what I'm doing wrong would be very helpful and appreciated. :shock:
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Arthrimus wrote:I'm building a batch of OSSC boards and I've run into a snag with parts sourcing. Does anyone know of a drop in replacement for U10? According to Mouser the S25FL216K is an end of life product, and the only place I can find it is on Aliexpress. If there is a current production part available I'd love to know about it.
IS25LP016D-JBLE-TR
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Oliversum wrote:I have a question regarding using a PAL Gamecube with Scart-RGB with Gameboy Interface on an OSSC 1.6.
That google sheet is now outdated, as Extrems has completely overhauled the gbi versions.

The best image is now achieved using gbihf (i.e. high fidelity) together with 320x240 optimized mode. The optimal samplerate is 433. The only thing I change from default gbihf values is volume which I lower to 25%.

Read about advanced timing and 320x240 optimized mode at ossc wiki:
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... mpling_opt.
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... Output_opt.

Regarding filling more of the screen, the problem is ofc the gba resolution is 240x160, so it only fills 2/3 of vertical height and 3/4 of horizontal width of a 4:3 320x240 frame. Hence the border graphics used in the game boy player (which can still be used in gbi standard and speedrunning versions, but not in gbihf).

I’ll lift a quote from a previous thread:
To get it to fill more of the screen, you can reduce active area on the ossc. Unfortunately it can not be lowered below 200, ideal setting would be h.active 240, v.active 180 (to preserve aspect, displaying the 3:2 inside a 4:3 frame). The lowest integer you can set for exact 4:3 frame is h.active 272, v.active 204.
(Whether the above works is entirely up to the display you have.)

My display does not accept total horizontal sample rates over 2100ish, so I use x4 mode. The reduction of active area zooms this in, and then I use my TVs zoom function to further get it to exactly fill the 4:3 height, such that the effective total zoom is x6, ie gba occupies 1440x960 in a 1440x1080 frame.

Also check the gbi wikis at gc-forever for more info on the gbi versions.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

360p is now supported in GBIHF. That fills the screen. If you want specific features in GBIHF such as borders, please express your interest.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Yes but as I detailed in the gc-forever thread, it does not work properly with the regular multi-out rgb.

I’m giving him steps how he could (given a forgiving display) solve the problem now with the equipment he has, not how he can fix it by buying expensive component cables or a plug and play gcvideoliteX that badassconsole has ready for sale sometime next century.
Last edited by Harrumph on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

eric90000 wrote:Did you check out the 2018 versions? Not much info on them yet as they're not officially released until June 25th.
Nope, don't get your hopes up really. We get dumbed-down models and overall higher prices because to most manufacturers the US are the #1 market, #2 would be Asia-P, and Europe #3.

For games ready your wallet and stick to Sony and Samsung, our local bottom-end alternative would be LG (LCD) but it's mostly shit like euro-TCL, no, worse.
There aren't nearly enough reviews anyway, I woud wait a few months and see what rtings and avforums will have.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Harrumph wrote:Yes but as I detailed in the gc-forever thread, it does not work properly with the regular multi-out rgb.
That's a sample size of one. However, it would appear that some GameCubes run slightly slower ("48000 / (54000000 / 1124)"?), which would be why some people had tearing sooner than expected in GBI ULL.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Extrems wrote: That's a sample size of one. However, it would appear that some GameCubes run slightly slower ("48000 / (54000000 / 1124)"?), which would be why some people had tearing sooner than expected in GBI ULL.
Two. Paulb also tried and had jitter. Ofc, the more that tests the better.
I doubt it’s the clock on this particular GC, since all other output modes seem to be on the expected frequency.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

To perhaps get a bit more data, I’ll post my ossc settings for the 360p gbi output so people can easily test. Note that this concerns output via rgb-scart on regular PAL GC, we already know it works with component cable.

Gbi or gbihf needs to have following parameters to output 480x360p60:
--format=hd60
--scan-mode=non-interlace,no-clock2x,no-size2x

Edit: also use --scaler=nearest
Otherwise there is some blending vertically.

One needs to edit the dcp, cli or dol file accordingly.

OSSC sees this as 384p. It has 375 lines and (according to my ossc) 59.95hz. I had to increase Analog sync Vth to 169 to not get occasional sync drops.

Adjust advanced timing:
H.SampleR 600
H.Sync 30
H.BackP 72
H.Active 480
V.Sync 1
V.BackP 12
V.Active 360

Output is then 960x720.
One can also output widescreen to get 720p (only in regular gbi). Set aspect to 16:9.
H.Samplerate is then 800, H.Active 640, and adjust sync/backporch as needed.

Currently, ossc can only linedouble this, but paulb has made a custom fw to achieve x3 (1080p), and also a custom optimized mode. He didn’t release this yet though. I assume since ossc is so full now, he had to take some other features out.

See last couple pages of the gc-forever thread for more info and previous discussion:
https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... start=1050