Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

Re: Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

Post by Shelcoof »

Great news :)

If Nintendo won't give them virtual console

Then the hackers will 8)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

At least Nintendo is finally releasing the arcade versions of games through Hamster's Arcade Archives. I hope Arm Wrestling makes it. That was a very odd release in that it only came out in the west and never got a home version in any form. It's actually a joystick game, not one of those games with the mechanical arm, so controls shouldn't be an issue.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Nintendo has revealed some details for Switch Online:
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
There are no good news here, but it shouldn't really shock anyone. What did shock me when reading comments about this was learning that the Switch doesn't support Bluetooth headphones at all. Though I'm not quite sure why, Nintendo being technologically behind five year old handhelds isn't exactly uncommon for them either.

The Switch is getting N++, which is a perfect portable game and IMO a system seller.

No one has mentioned yet that it's getting Valkyria Chronicles Remastered, which is nice, but I don't think this is the sort of game I want to replay on portables and if I was a person who wanted to play it for the first time I would make sure to play it on a platform that does 60FPS. Now it's not certain the Switch version will be 30 FPS, I'm just assuming.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Only interest I'd ever have in Nintendo's online service is if they come out with a new Mario Kart game for the Switch, and it doesn't suck to play when everyone in the lobby knows what they're doing.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Disappointed cloud saves are behind the paywall, or maybe I'm just too used to one of the few things xbone is doing right. Otherwise it's pretty meh - what's currently free, plus some other bits that haven't been adequately explained. A trickle of NES games is great but only if they're not tied to your subscription status.

Hoping this isn't going to be Nintendo's focus for the second half of the year and that we'll get some games. The current theme of Wii U ports is fine for now (because no-one bought a Wii U) to keep exclusives ticking over, but second half of the year is going to need some new games. And stump up for those larger capacity game cards so we don't have any more "now download half the game" bullshit.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ZellSF wrote:Nintendo has revealed some details for Switch Online:
There are no good news here, but it shouldn't really shock anyone.
What's wrong with 20 dollars for a year?
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

BrianC wrote:
Well that depends on what you'll get. I don't consider 20 bucks for a year's privilege of backing up my saves and playing some tired old NES games (including gems like soccer and tennisa particularly good deal.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

spmbx wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Well that depends on what you'll get. I don't consider 20 bucks for a year's privilege of backing up my saves and playing some tired old NES games (including gems like soccer and tennisa particularly good deal.
Other console's online services are 60 dollars a year. Xbox didn't even include free games when it first started on 360 and was still more than Nintendo's service. 20 dollars for just the online sounds reasonable. However, the could saves will be a seperate service and won't even support all games. :(
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

The 360 came with a bundled headset (not the cheapass pack without the hdd) and had a lot of games with proper online and communication. Eventhough it was lame to have to pay for basically matchmaking for your own hosted peer2peer networking games, it did have a lot of added value for me because there was a lot of voice+multiplayer games to play.

By the way, since you want to include consoles of that generation in the comparison; PS3 had (and still has) free online multiplayer... ;)

But hey, we don't have to agree. For what i'm currently seeing i won't be paying 20 or even 10 a year for this.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

"They promise more games will be added regularly. Which doesn't mean much, since sometimes Nintendo can be less regular with its ROM releases than a guy who eats nothing but cheese and ice cream."

Always so many questions that begin with why. I guess the answer is "because dirty console peasants need to be punished."

A thing that I've wondered about that probably has a real justifiable reason compared to "why don't they just make a Nintendo Netflix type service":

Why do the Switch game cards not have any writable space on them? A feature the DS had for forever? Is it a cost/access speed issue?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Anyone recommend a decent 3rd party pad? Not arsed about rumble etc, mainly for the ACA games and Mario Kart, so decent D-pad is the main requirement. The 8ibtdo one looks OK, or the Hori wired?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote:Anyone recommend a decent 3rd party pad? Not arsed about rumble etc, mainly for the ACA games and Mario Kart, so decent D-pad is the main requirement. The 8ibtdo one looks OK, or the Hori wired?
If you have Xbox One, Wii U Pro, or PS4 pads already, I recommend the Magic-NS. I like the 8bitdo SF30 Pro, but the dpad for that starts out a bit stiff, though it has loosened up a bit and works well with diagonals. It's the opposite of the new version of the non-pro SF30 with is too sensitive with diagonals. I also read some reviews that claimed that the analog can get stuck on the SF30 Pro, which thankfully hasn't happened to me. No problem with syncing to switch either.

I haven't had issues with the official Pro controller and I found the dpad to be nice on it. It not only does diagonals well, but it also passed the Pac-Man and Celeste test (I also tested it with the SNES Ms. Pac-Man and Mr. Do using the 8bitdo retro reciever).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm honestly not sure why people are excited for Nintendo's online service. I don't understand what you are paying for.

I get it, $20 a year isn't much, and much cheaper than Sony's service. But as far as I can tell, we aren't getting anything that wasn't previously available for free? Aside from the shitty NES games of course, but I'm sure the five people who have any interest in Ice Climber already have the game.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Sumez wrote:I get it, $20 a year isn't much, and much cheaper than Sony's service. But as far as I can tell, we aren't getting anything that wasn't previously available for free? Aside from the shitty NES games of course, but I'm sure the five people who have any interest in Ice Climber already have the game.
But it's on the Switch: https://youtu.be/DaOgZwk9rN8?t=8s

Yeah. It boils down to that.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Sumez wrote:I'm honestly not sure why people are excited for Nintendo's online service.
Eh uh um... you've seen someone excited for it? All I've seen is people moping about what a lowly dirty console peasant they are.

.. I mean I'm sure there are broken people out there emotionally invested into Nintendo like it was their dead parents or something, but they have deeper underlining problems.
Marc

Post by Marc »

If they start giving games away, rather than giving access to games, I'll bite. Online MK is great fun. Fiver a month with a SNES game a month thrown in would be good, other than that I'll go without.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Marc wrote:If they start giving games away, rather than giving access to games, I'll bite. Online MK is great fun. Fiver a month with a SNES game a month thrown in would be good, other than that I'll go without.
Doesn't Microsoft offer two Xbone and one 360 game a month? I think offering a single SNES game for the same price would look pretty bad for Nintendo.

Not that looking bad is something that stops Nintendo when it comes to online.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:I'm honestly not sure why people are excited for Nintendo's online service. I don't understand what you are paying for.
I have seen mostly complaints and the reasons seem to be "Nintendo sucks!" and "it doesn't have as many free games as Xbox or PSN". It doesn't offer as much as other services, but it's also cheaper. Also, it's 20-30 NES games with online play enabled, not just one game a month for 5 dollars. It's 20 dollars for a year. I'm not excited for it, but I don't get all the negativity about it either.

I find Ice Climber to be underrated. I like it quite a bit, though I'm more interested in the Vs. version. Too bad the FDS version is a buggy port (the actual disk has scrambled graphics on some stages due to being a lazy port of Vs. Ice Climber).
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ZellSF wrote:Doesn't Microsoft offer two Xbone and one 360 game a month? I think offering a single SNES game for the same price would look pretty bad for Nintendo.
2, actually. Both of which are always backwards compatible titles so XBone users can play them as well. This month's freebies on 360 were The Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle Collection and Vanquish (both worth picking up).

Sumez wrote:I'm honestly not sure why people are excited for Nintendo's online service. I don't understand what you are paying for.

I get it, $20 a year isn't much, and much cheaper than Sony's service. But as far as I can tell, we aren't getting anything that wasn't previously available for free? Aside from the shitty NES games of course, but I'm sure the five people who have any interest in Ice Climber already have the game.
If the $20 a year is paying for a more robust online infrastructure with actual server-side parameter checking, then I'm all for it. The nVidia hardware homebrew hack has led to some ridiculous cheating in Splatoon 2 (people are jacking up weapon parameters to insane levels) and the current match-making format gets bogged down far too easily (The Connection is Unstable is a long running joke in the Splatoon community and it gets particularly bad during Splatfests).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Kiken wrote:If the $20 a year is paying for a more robust online infrastructure with actual server-side parameter checking, then I'm all for it.
That's a very unlikely scenario though. It's much easier to spend that money on something else, both Microsoft and Sony have effectively proved that even if you charge for online, people just aren't technical enough to understand what quality demands are reasonable to make.
BrianC wrote:I have seen mostly complaints and the reasons seem to be "Nintendo sucks!" and "it doesn't have as many free games as Xbox or PSN".
Did you somehow miss all the people complaining because Nintendo is charging for something that should be free?

That's not a "Nintendo sucks!" thing, both Microsoft and Sony got the same treatment when they introduced paid online. It has nothing to do with "free games" either, that's just a distraction all the big three have settled on because they know charging for online is something people have objections against.

Now being forced to pay for something is something everyone hates, why's Nintendo getting extra hate? Because they're way worse at the thing they're charging for. With the other two a lot of people feel they're actually paying for basic online infrastructure and features, with Nintendo it feels more like you're paying just to give money to Nintendo.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BrianC wrote:I find Ice Climber to be underrated. I like it quite a bit, though I'm more interested in the Vs. version. Too bad the FDS version is a buggy port (the actual disk has scrambled graphics on some stages due to being a lazy port of Vs. Ice Climber).
I found Ice Climber to be one of the most playable games on a multi-game Famiclone cart introducing me to NES/Famicom library back in the day. The other faves on that being: Antarctic Adventure (has aged phenomenally), Binary Land, Contra & Super Mario Bros. (To put things into perspective, Urban Champion wasn't great even back then, yet for some reason got included.)
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Actually put my hands on one of these things in real life and all of my desire for it evaporated.

The buttons are the size of microscopic ants. And lack the rubber padding that's like a hug for your boney fingers.

If we have to lose the ability of being able to push a button in exchange for waggle controls, if this is what the future holds, I want no part of it...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ZellSF wrote: Did you somehow miss all the people complaining because Nintendo is charging for something that should be free?
No, but the complaints seem to be louder with Nintendo's online service. I'm not fond of Nintendo's online stupidity, especially when it comes to voice chat, but they do have some nice games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BryanM wrote:Actually put my hands on one of these things in real life and all of my desire for it evaporated.

The buttons are the size of microscopic ants. And lack the rubber padding that's like a hug for your boney fingers.

If we have to lose the ability of being able to push a button in exchange for waggle controls, if this is what the future holds, I want no part of it...
Yeah, they're pretty teeny. Obviously Nintendo of Japan knows their target audience. I didn't mind using one in each hand when playing Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors, though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Udderdude wrote: Yeah, they're pretty teeny. Obviously Nintendo of Japan knows their target audience. I didn't mind using one in each hand when playing Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors, though.
Funny thing is that the buttons on the pro controller are just the opposite.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/06/12/ny ... it-switch/
Looks flimsy, but the idea isn't bad, I guess.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
FRO

Post by FRO »

That's a cool idea, and I've seen a couple other vendors who have done similar things, though this, with space for both Joy-Con, and the added sticks, makes it a nicer setup than the other products I've seen.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I noticed this on the eshop today: http://www.alpha-unit.ne.jp/content/whip/top_en.html

Looks like a throwback to earlier bubble bobble games; it even has one of the Zuntata guys doing the music. Never heard of Alpha Unit before, anyone else have thoughts on this?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So I just got a Switch, and I can't think of one single thing to get for it. Why did society push me into purchasing this trash?

(for real, it's a really cool piece of hardware, I just can't think of anything to use it for)
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sumez wrote:So I just got a Switch, and I can't think of one single thing to get for it. Why did society push me into purchasing this trash?

(for real, it's a really cool piece of hardware, I just can't think of anything to use it for)
Super Mario Odyssey is good. Mario Kart 8 DX is great if you haven't played it on WiiU and Splatoon 2 is fun too.

Yeah there are no real must-have exclusives yet...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.