GD: FIRESHARK (Quick Tips Strategy)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Mills

GD: FIRESHARK (Quick Tips Strategy)

Post by Mills »

1 Player side is harder to loop than 2 Player side. 1 Player side is higher scoring than 2 Player side because you recieve more favourable power-ups & bombs. 2 Player side recieves more favorable 1-ups & 2-ups. When shooting down enemy bombers that give your fighter Shot-Colours, remember the following, Shoot down a bomber with (BLUE SHOT WEAPON) gives you (Green Shot Weapon). Shoot down a bomber with (GREEN SHOT WEAPON) gives you (Red Shot Weapon). Shoot down a bomber with (RED SHOT WEAPON) gives you (Blue Shoot Weapon). You need this tip on stage3 for bonus points. BLUE Spread Shot weapon is the best for stage clearance and stage bosses. if you can tap the fire button rapid or have turbo-shot switch, you can take bosses out within 3 attack waves quicker than Red Fire Shot weapon ie(stage3 boss can be destroyed in 2 attack waves, Red takes 5-6 waves of attack)
DEL

Fire Shark PCB

Post by DEL »

Yet again, this is another Toaplan shooter that is best played on the 2 Player side, as with Gekirindan(Taito) & Twin Cobra(Toa). Recently I tried the 1 Player side and found that recovery upon death on the later stages is extremely difficult on the 1 Player side.

No bombing is the key to high score and extends.

The game (PCB ver) can be played all the way through with either blue spread or red laser.
Rapid fingers or autofire with full blue spread anihilates everything and is the way Mills reached Loop 10 with a 100,000,000+ Counter Stop.

I play red laser style throughout. Long & short bursts of red spread lasers are useful for rapid destruction of enemy planes. ie. 1 second presses of the fire button, rather than constantly holding it down.

If you must bomb, remember you can place bombs up the screen by how long you hold down the bomb button.

Remember Mill's advice on firepower pods on stage 3. Red gives you Blue, Blue gives Green and Green gives Red again. You don't want pods flying around in large numbers giving you extra obstacles, so its best to collect pods and engineer the situation to fit your Blue or Red end choice.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

Question:

is it better to pick up ALL weapon power-ups or just stick to your favorite, and let the others disappear?

I was under the assumption that you receive more 1-up / 2-up from picking up everything.

I guess if you die though, it doesn't matter, because there goes your bomb stock.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

I seem to remember Toaplan games giving big bonuses for getting the same colored icons in a row.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

There are congested sections in the game such as the dive-bombing planes in Stage 3, where its best to pick up all the coloured firepower changers. You get 5,000 per matched colour and it clears the screen for you to concentrate on the fast bullets coming at you.
The coloured icons stay on the screen for an uncomfortably long time, so collect them at the congested sections.
maximo310

Re: GD: FIRESHARK (Quick Tips Strategy)

Post by maximo310 »

A few observations I'd like to add concerning Same!3's 1p version

-While Same!3 2p version ( &fire shark) throws in instant respawn & extra powerups ( destroying silver turrets gives you a speed up, the large planes that shoot 2 flame bullets give speed ups as well, along with bombers being more common), 1p doesn't offer those benefits, making recovery much more difficult. autofire is a must, and I think multiple firing rates are needed since the flamethrower (red weapon) has a severely impacted range with a autofire rate of 7.5-10hz+.

-Tap dodging will help, especially in 1p, due to tank placement being extremely sneaky ( most apparent in stage 5's first few sections, the middle of stage 6).

- Rank ( will be researched upon more)- My best guess is that it is incremental on a per stage basis along with overall shot power. I'm not sure where it would max out in the loop, but subsequent loops will have higher rank ( most likely to loop 4 or so before completely maxing out).

-The second half of the game seems to have a ton of memo, such as the majority of stg7, stg9, and especially stg10. Still need to figure out how to attack those sections (wip).
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The red weapon isn't even supposed to be used with autofire, just hold the fire button for that or just tap slowly if you want to keep it firing forwards.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Shepardus wrote:The red weapon isn't even supposed to be used with autofire, just hold the fire button for that or just tap slowly if you want to keep it firing forwards.
I'm definitely thinking of toggling between 30hz & default rate just for that above by assigning it to another button just for flamethrower functionality. I remember jaimers recommended using custom buttons for 30hz, 10hz, and default, but I'm not sure where the middle option would be beneficial.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yeah I can't think of a reason for 10Hz unless it's to provide a more even fire rate not throttled by the projectile limit, but this game's projectile limit is already pretty generous. I just use a 30Hz autofire button and a non-autofire button.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube