Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ShadowofBob

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by ShadowofBob »

Clean setup! I ended up using the multiout to send H/V for VGA and a custom cable. If I'm ever back working on the inside of my GCN I may add a DSUB-15 port like that.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Anybody here successfully modded this onto a DOL-101 cube? I have one just sitting around and this mod would make it worthwile.
leonk

Post by leonk »

BazookaBen wrote:Anybody here successfully modded this onto a DOL-101 cube? I have one just sitting around and this mod would make it worthwile.
I got a stack of gamecube motherboards here that came from units with dead DVD drive of cracked case. If I ever get a DOL-101, I just swap the MB and back plate with one from a DOL-001.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

ShadowofBob wrote:Clean setup! I ended up using the multiout to send H/V for VGA and a custom cable. If I'm ever back working on the inside of my GCN I may add a DSUB-15 port like that.
Thanks, the trick to getting a neat vga hole is heating up a spare plug and slowly melting it through the plastic case.

To fit it there you need to shave the lid switch pcb down to the switch and melt some of its support away, but it does not change the structural integrity of the switch or it's mounting which is a bonus.

This is all I took of the install sorry.
https://imgur.com/a/UTv1q

I'll probably open the poor thing again today and add a stereo headphone jack to route sound instead of using a breakout off my scart lead.
https://imgur.com/LkYLNR3
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

BazookaBen wrote:Anybody here successfully modded this onto a DOL-101 cube? I have one just sitting around and this mod would make it worthwile.
Its possible, but not in the current GCDual's state. If DOL-001 were rare and expensive I'd have something already for the 101. But since a decent 001 can be picked up easily and fairly cheap, I don't think its worth the effort.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I have seen requests for DOL-101's .. for special addition gamecube's that only came out as 101's. But even those can be converted to 001. Special edition is just a different case on outside. Swap PCB, Swap AC PCB, Swap back plate. You're done.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Potentially dumb question, but is 480p supported over RGB with the GCDual? I know it's not exactly standard, but the Dreamcast can do it with the Toro box and that is my preferred way to use it since it can then go through the same switcher as the rest of my stuff.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:Potentially dumb question, but is 480p supported over RGB with the GCDual? I know it's not exactly standard, but the Dreamcast can do it with the Toro box and that is my preferred way to use it since it can then go through the same switcher as the rest of my stuff.
You bet!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

citrus3000psi wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:Potentially dumb question, but is 480p supported over RGB with the GCDual? I know it's not exactly standard, but the Dreamcast can do it with the Toro box and that is my preferred way to use it since it can then go through the same switcher as the rest of my stuff.
You bet!
Awesome! I am trying to cut down on the splitters and other crap in my setup and just found your c-sync guide for PS2 so that I'll be able to run everything through the gScart after I get the GC Dual and still get 480p where applicable. Hooray!
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

leonk wrote:I have seen requests for DOL-101's .. for special addition gamecube's that only came out as 101's. But even those can be converted to 001. Special edition is just a different case on outside. Swap PCB, Swap AC PCB, Swap back plate. You're done.
Yeah, but I have a extra 101 model and I want it to have some usefulness. Buying an 001 for the motherboard doesn't change the fact I still have a useless 101 sitting around.

And I kinda want to do it out of curiosity, to see how difficult or messy it gets.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

If anyone wants component cables for their GCDual I can make them over here.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

arithmaldor wrote:If anyone wants component cables for their GCDual I can make them over here.
Thanks for making cables. I will send people your way that request them :D
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

After successfully installing my own GC Dual, I'm thinking about trying to build a few boards myself to install for a few local people. I just had a couple questions:

1. How thick is the hookup board? I forgot to measure before installing it but I know it was thicker than 1.6mm.
2. What length of FFC cable is needed? Part number would be nice but I can find it myself with the length.
3. I have no experience with programming flash - I ordered a Xilinx programmer (this one) and I'm sure once I have it I can make my way through the software, but if there is any kind of guide on this out there that would be amazing.
4. Is there a firmware 2.4a file for the dual floating around somewhere? If not I can try to compile it off of github.

I probably won't get around to ordering all of the parts for another month or so, but when I get started on these I will log my progress here. I've already ordered 3 of each of the boards off OSHPark just to mess around with but that's all I've got so far. Any help is not expected but appreciated!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

arithmaldor wrote:After successfully installing my own GC Dual, I'm thinking about trying to build a few boards myself to install for a few local people. I just had a couple questions:

1. How thick is the hookup board? I forgot to measure before installing it but I know it was thicker than 1.6mm.
2. What length of FFC cable is needed? Part number would be nice but I can find it myself with the length.
3. I have no experience with programming flash - I ordered a Xilinx programmer (this one) and I'm sure once I have it I can make my way through the software, but if there is any kind of guide on this out there that would be amazing.
4. Is there a firmware 2.4a file for the dual floating around somewhere? If not I can try to compile it off of github.

I probably won't get around to ordering all of the parts for another month or so, but when I get started on these I will log my progress here. I've already ordered 3 of each of the boards off OSHPark just to mess around with but that's all I've got so far. Any help is not expected but appreciated!
Great.

The Hookup board is 2mm thick and the FFC cable is 170mm. I don't have a part number as I'm getting them from aliexpress. However there are some on digikey that will work find.

That xilinx programmer won't work, as there are no JTAG hookups on the board. There are SPI hookup points though. Just get this cheap programmer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Progra ... 2749.l2649

The 2.4a firmware is in Unseen's github already compiled.

Also on another note, I did order a batch of GCDual's for PCBA. This should clear out my preorder list. I also always plan to try and keep some in stock. I'm currently building a small webstore, for easy contact and ordering.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

Hey citrus, I don't understand the two connectors on the main pcb (GC Dual).
The rightmost one is for the hdmi qsb, right?
But the leftmost one?

Thanks. :)
sllabres

Post by sllabres »

Hello,
[Edit] I resolved the issue and put details here: https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... 140#p41140

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I was hoping to get some help.

I've been very excited (probably over excited) about doing the HDMI mod and decided to dig out my old GameCube to give it a try (I'm not overly worried if I break things as this is just fun and learning for me). A friend helped me remove the DV connector but sadly when I tried to clean up the joints some of the PCB came off and I think connections 1 and 3 (cable detect, colour select respectively) no longer work as per this guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FOQ ... KxcMc/edit

I've taken some photos of the current board state (the bottom left pin in the photos below):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zD1GCAqsMHK1C3AU7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ebe1WvE2EPHvFWzW9

Photo of the board before I broke the board:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wc8c86gxU3zKLYCU9

I was hoping it might be possible to repair this by connecting direcetly to the FILA1 piece? Really appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Seb
Last edited by sllabres on Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

citrus3000psi wrote: Great.

The Hookup board is 2mm thick and the FFC cable is 170mm. I don't have a part number as I'm getting them from aliexpress. However there are some on digikey that will work find.

That xilinx programmer won't work, as there are no JTAG hookups on the board. There are SPI hookup points though. Just get this cheap programmer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-Progra ... 2749.l2649

The 2.4a firmware is in Unseen's github already compiled.

Also on another note, I did order a batch of GCDual's for PCBA. This should clear out my preorder list. I also always plan to try and keep some in stock. I'm currently building a small webstore, for easy contact and ordering.
Thanks I'll get that programmer.

Can't wait to see your store, I'll probably be buying another kit before I get around to building these. The guys that sold me broken PS2s are streaming GameCube via a composite to HDMI converter and I need to help them
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

zeruel85 wrote:Hey citrus, I don't understand the two connectors on the main pcb (GC Dual).
But the leftmost one?

The left one is what I use for testing each kit. I have a special Jig that transports the power/digital video data on that FFC cable.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
zeruel85 wrote:Hey citrus, I don't understand the two connectors on the main pcb (GC Dual).
But the leftmost one?

The left one is what I use for testing each kit. I have a special Jig that transports the power/digital video data on that FFC cable.
Gotcha.
Thanks for your explanation.

Great work!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Citrus, on the install page about jumper settings, you say "For NTSC consoles if use the Chroma / Luma / Composite video on the multi-out you must disconnect these from the system." I'd just like to clarify, is this meant to say that if I want to continue to use an s-video or standard composite cable on the multi-out, I need to disconnect them as you describe farther down the page? Or are you saying I only need to disconnect them if I want to use one of them for sync with the GCVideo mod? I'm a little confused as to whether or not it is necessary to disconnect them. For example, I plan on using RGBs with the mod, but it would be nice to still be able to use the factory composite/s-video cables if I need to.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote:Citrus, on the install page about jumper settings, you say "For NTSC consoles if use the Chroma / Luma / Composite video on the multi-out you must disconnect these from the system." I'd just like to clarify, is this meant to say that if I want to continue to use an s-video or standard composite cable on the multi-out, I need to disconnect them as you describe farther down the page? Or are you saying I only need to disconnect them if I want to use one of them for sync with the GCVideo mod? I'm a little confused as to whether or not it is necessary to disconnect them. For example, I plan on using RGBs with the mod, but it would be nice to still be able to use the factory composite/s-video cables if I need to.
No you do NOT have to disconnect them if you are using a normal CYSNC scart cable.

Here is an example of why you would need to. Lets say the cable you are using is sync on Luma. You would need to disconnect the LUMA components, and wire CSYNC form the GCVideo mod to the LUMA pin.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

citrus3000psi wrote:No you do NOT have to disconnect them if you are using a normal CYSNC scart cable.

Here is an example of why you would need to. Lets say the cable you are using is sync on Luma. You would need to disconnect the LUMA components, and wire CSYNC form the GCVideo mod to the LUMA pin.
Excellent. So without disconnecting them, stock composite and s-video cables will still work, too? Basically, only disconnect these if I am using something other than c-sync for sync.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

thebigcheese wrote: Excellent. So without disconnecting them, stock composite and s-video cables will still work, too?
Yes
thebigcheese wrote: Basically, only disconnect these if I am using something other than c-sync for sync.
[/quote]

Yes, but there is also a mode pin that can be wired to the multiout. If you build custom YPbPr cables you can ground this mode pin and it will force YPbPr output. So in the GCVideo settings, leave RGB on. And when you plug in component cables it will auto switch to YPbPr output. Most people are not using this feature. But its there.
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

Exciting to see the GCMax 1.2 design on OSHPark now that the CDK3404 supply seems to have dried up! Citrus, would you mind clarifying: when you say the board is untested, are you waiting for one to test, or is the new design just being provided as-is? Thanks, as always, for your work on this.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

AetherSmyth wrote:Exciting to see the GCMax 1.2 design on OSHPark now that the CDK3404 supply seems to have dried up! Citrus, would you mind clarifying: when you say the board is untested, are you waiting for one to test, or is the new design just being provided as-is? Thanks, as always, for your work on this.
I don't have any boards on order. I may get around to it at some point. But I still have handful of CDK3404's so yeah :wink: I'm confident the the 1.2 will work fine, but always like to give a warning.
AetherSmyth

Post by AetherSmyth »

Great, thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and take a stab at making one in that case. Thanks again!
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

I assembled the GCPLug.. It was intense to say the least but it looks like everything went well. I do have one problem though...

To test out the connector I verified that it displays output, and even tested the progressive scan. The problem is that the image flickers on and off randomly. I don't know if it is a settings thing since I haven't gotten a remote yet but I'm not sure where to look. All my connections appear fine, my best guess is that after soldering the connector to the board a few (1 to 3) pins don't spring up as easily perhaps not making contact with the gamecube well enough.

Anyone experience this issue or suggest what to look at?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

pyroman512 wrote:I assembled the GCPLug.. It was intense to say the least but it looks like everything went well. I do have one problem though...

To test out the connector I verified that it displays output, and even tested the progressive scan. The problem is that the image flickers on and off randomly. I don't know if it is a settings thing since I haven't gotten a remote yet but I'm not sure where to look. All my connections appear fine, my best guess is that after soldering the connector to the board a few (1 to 3) pins don't spring up as easily perhaps not making contact with the gamecube well enough.

Anyone experience this issue or suggest what to look at?
Before anything, just try another tv, just to be sure.

I would blame the pins in the plug. Make sure they are sticking down far enough. Also looking down the barrel of the plug, push the pins up and make sure they retract all the way back down without getting stuck.

Congrats on getting it built 8)
Link83

Post by Link83 »

So I may be late to the party here (and its probably not that useful now that WiiDual is available) but I just thought this was interesting...

I recently read that there was a special arcade version of the Wii hardware released for just one game - Tatsunoko vs Capcom:-
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/didnt-ta ... it.503252/
It appears that it used a custom motherboard based on the Wii hardware, and I have only been able to find one picture of the insides online:-
It clearly has a VGA port with L&R RCA ports for audio, but intriguingly it also *appears* to use the same "AVE-RVL A" video encoder chip used on retail Wii consoles. If this is indeed the case then 480p RGB should be possible on retail Wii's as well! The question is how exacty was it achieved - i'm assuming the video encoder has been configured over I2C using as yet unknown commands to only output RGB:-
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Hardware/AV_Encoder
http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/AVE-RVL
I am curious though if the encoder is outputting RGBS with CSYNC being separated into HSYNC and VSYNC by another chip, or if the encoder is actually capable of outputting HSYNC and VSYNC directly over some unused pins.

I just thought it would be nice if we could have a 'cheap mod' for Wii RGBS/RGBHV 480p output :P Perhaps we could program an ATtiny to take control of the Wii's video encoder over I2C to control the video output. However we would need someone to either dump the registers from this arcade hardware, or someone with a scope to tinker with a retail Wii and see if they can figure out the register changes needed.
Last edited by Link83 on Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Link83 wrote:It clearly has a VGA port...
I am curious though if the encoder is outputting RGBS with CSYNC being separated into HSYNC and VSYNC by another chip, or if the encoder is actually capable of outputting HSYNC and VSYNC directly over some unused pins.
Is it actually outputting RGBHV over the DE-15, or is it outputting RGBS?