consolized neo geo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

Re: consolized neo geo

Post by orange808 »

werk91 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:MVS runs at 59.15Hz, doesn't it ?

If you play on a CRT you won't have any problems. LCDs usually still display the signal, but the signal might get framerate converted.

A reason to add a frequency mod - even if you're playing on a CRT - is that might want to record the signal and here 59.15Hz can cause real problems.
Yep, that's what I've heard as well. And I'm guessing this frame conversion (which now that I think about it will be unavoidable on a LCD) is what can cause the stuttering? I don't have any plans for recording gameplay so all should be good. Thanks a lot Fudoh!
Just for clarity, frame rate conversion is not unavoidable on a digital display. That depends on the specific display.
We apologise for the inconvenience
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I decided to get one of these AliExpress CMVSes even though I just got an Omega a couple months ago, which I wasn't 100% satisfied with (works fine in component but when in RGB, my PVM 20L5 screen suddenly blacks out whenever the Omega outputs a white screen, which happens rather often in fighters).

The AliExpress CMVS arrived the other day, component works fine (and uses standard RCA jacks for component, unlike the Omega), but it didn't include an RGB cable, and it doesn't appear to be able to output RGB over the component jacks without modding. The RGB connector on the system appears to be a DIN-8 but slightly different DIN layout than a Genesis 1 cable, so one of those won't fit (I tried). What does fit however, is the cable I got with a Doujindance* DUO-R I got a couple years ago, but the colors on the CMVS aren't right with this cable, so I guess I'll have to re-wire either the CMVS or the cable (leaning toward the latter since I have 2 cables), hopefully that will be possible with my limited soldering skills.

*already opened it to check the mod work, it didn't have any black goop or wads of hot glue, and I'm satisfied with the PQ

Some other notes:
-Made my CMVS order on 4/20, my unit shipped from Singapore on 5/1, and arrived at its destination in Japan on 5/19
-The CMVS included UniBios 3.3
-The thread on neo-geo.com said something about the Saturn controller ports being defective, but the seller has discovered the problem so all units shipped from now on should be fine
-I assume my unit is also mono, but I probably won't bother fixing it as I usually play with headphones and I'm mostly deaf in my right ear
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

The RGB jack on these is an Xrgb Framemeister pinout. its an 8 pin mini din.

you can get a cable from RetroAccess.com. Tell them you want an NESRGB cable, without the seperate wire for audio and you want the audio pins in the XRGB jack hooked up instead.

tell them its for a consolized neo geo.

Edit : i just noticed your in Japan. what is your setup? whatever input your tv uses thats what the cable will need to be wired for not SCART.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

jd213 wrote:I decided to get one of these AliExpress CMVSes even though I just got an Omega a couple months ago, which I wasn't 100% satisfied with (works fine in component but when in RGB, my PVM 20L5 screen suddenly blacks out whenever the Omega outputs a white screen, which happens rather often in fighters).

The AliExpress CMVS arrived the other day, component works fine (and uses standard RCA jacks for component, unlike the Omega), but it didn't include an RGB cable, and it doesn't appear to be able to output RGB over the component jacks without modding. The RGB connector on the system appears to be a DIN-8 but slightly different DIN layout than a Genesis 1 cable, so one of those won't fit (I tried). What does fit however, is the cable I got with a Doujindance* DUO-R I got a couple years ago, but the colors on the CMVS aren't right with this cable, so I guess I'll have to re-wire either the CMVS or the cable (leaning toward the latter since I have 2 cables), hopefully that will be possible with my limited soldering skills.

*already opened it to check the mod work, it didn't have any black goop or wads of hot glue, and I'm satisfied with the PQ

Some other notes:
-Made my CMVS order on 4/20, my unit shipped from Singapore on 5/1, and arrived at its destination in Japan on 5/19
-The CMVS included UniBios 3.3
-The thread on neo-geo.com said something about the Saturn controller ports being defective, but the seller has discovered the problem so all units shipped from now on should be fine
-I assume my unit is also mono, but I probably won't bother fixing it as I usually play with headphones and I'm mostly deaf in my right ear

I also recently got this unit as well. The seller told me they fixed the saturn pad issue before shipping.

I haven't tried to hook it up at all. But I do plan to look at the RGB interface, and may even redesign it. There is also that HDMI mod that is just asking to be installed https://github.com/charcole/NeoGeoHDMI
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

couldn't find the infos on the saturn controllers issues within the neo-geo.com thread. Does anybody have a direct link or can copy/paste what's the issue ?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Hi citrus. Do you think i can disable the custom bios in this cbox by following these instructions?
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... nstall.pdf
I have a paid version of the Unibios id like to install. its version 4.0.

I am also planning to Update the audio Output on mine. The Cbox is Wired for mono audio even though it has stereo jacks on the back. Its dual mono.

Another thing,

On Aliexpress the same seller also has some cool looking Arcade superguns there similar to the cbox. They come in an acrylic case for a bit extra, and they also have saturn control ports.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 18401.html

It would be cool to see someone also get one of those and test it out.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Fudoh wrote:couldn't find the infos on the saturn controllers issues within the neo-geo.com thread. Does anybody have a direct link or can copy/paste what's the issue ?
This is what the aliexpress seller told me
Hi, sorry for late deliver, because some customer tell me the Saturn controller port have some problem, so we need some time to modified it, please give me some days for upgrade this CBOX, we need to make it, it is available in 20 days, it is ok? Can you wait for it? I hope you can understand me! Thank you
mvsfan wrote:Hi citrus. Do you think i can disable the custom bios in this cbox by following these instructions?
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... nstall.pdf
I have a paid version of the Unibios id like to install. its version 4.0.
Yeah that mod should work fine, just wire the appropriate pins in the instructions. Driving CE# high will disable the flash memory
jd213

Post by jd213 »

mvsfan wrote:The RGB jack on these is an Xrgb Framemeister pinout. its an 8 pin mini din.
The RGB jack on my CMVS is a standard DIN-8, not a mini DIN like the Framemeister.
Edit : i just noticed your in Japan. what is your setup? whatever input your tv uses thats what the cable will need to be wired for not SCART.
Yeah, everything in my setup is JP21. Will consider asking someone to make me a cable if I can't easily rewire one of the cables I already have.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Fudoh wrote:couldn't find the infos on the saturn controllers issues within the neo-geo.com thread. Does anybody have a direct link or can copy/paste what's the issue ?
There wasn't anything specific stated about the issue, but here's the post: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... ost4292625
jd213

Post by jd213 »

mvsfan wrote:
On Aliexpress the same seller also has some cool looking Arcade superguns there similar to the cbox. They come in an acrylic case for a bit extra, and they also have saturn control ports.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 18401.html

It would be cool to see someone also get one of those and test it out.
I ordered the more expensive one that has SCART, RCA RGBS, and component jacks: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JAMMA-C ... 57003.html

It should hopefully arrive soon, but I only have a CPS II with 2 games at the moment. Planning on picking up some other boards eventually.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I was wrong when I said the cbox has a 8 pin Xrgb connector on the back of it.

The old ones had an 8 pin regular size din. Its a Neo Geo connector.

The Newer Cboxes like mine, Have a 10 Pin Sega Saturn connector on them.

A Sega saturn cable will work with them.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Thanks, it's fairly easy to get inexpensive quality RGB cables for Neo Geo over here, so I'll just go with this one instead of rewiring one of my other cables: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004WCUX0Y/
Ashura

Post by Ashura »

From what I can gather from that neo-geo thread, when people weren’t angry, anyway, is it sounds like people think the reason that Youtuber blew out his OSSC might have been plugging JP21 into Scart or vice versa.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

How do I access the MVS settings (soft dip settings for stuff like MVS difficulty level) on this one ?

EDIT: sorry, keep forgetting those UniBios combinations. B+C+D while doing a soft reset it is.....
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Ashura wrote:From what I can gather from that neo-geo thread, when people weren’t angry, anyway, is it sounds like people think the reason that Youtuber blew out his OSSC might have been plugging JP21 into Scart or vice versa.
Ive fed my OSSC AV1 sync channel 5v DC directly on many occasions, and it hasnt skipped a beat.
Not sure how other people are killing them cos i just cant :P
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

so you got your Cbox in, Fudoh?

Does yours have a battery in it?

Mine doesnt and it doesnt save the Bios settings. If i set it to Anything except Arcade, Europe, It doesnt stick.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

so you got your Cbox in, Fudoh?
quite some ago already. No battery and yes, it always defaults to Arcade/EU.

Judging from the board adding a battery seems easy though. Will try that when doing the stereo mod....
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Hooked up the AliExpress supergun last night. Only tried the RGBS output to a PVM but it looks pretty good, although I'm getting a small bit of curving toward the right at the top of the screen with my only non-CPS II board (T.M.N.T), I assume it's not a problem with the board since the curving didn't appear in the screen pictures taken by the seller on his setup. The board might not have been seated in the JAMMA connector correctly, I had a bit of trouble getting it in all the way.

Unfortunately Saturn controllers aren't a very good choice for Capcom fighters (at least CPS II) due to how Capcom implemented 6-button input and how the supergun maps the Saturn controller buttons: the punch buttons are the standard Shot 1-2-3 buttons while the kick buttons obviously use separate kick harness wiring, and the Saturn A-B-C buttons are mapped to Shot 1-2-3 (which makes sense for standard 1-2-3 button games because it would be awkward to use X-Y-Z), so the punch buttons end up on the bottom and the kick buttons are on the top. So you'll need to wire a separate controller (or two) for Capcom fighters. I'm more interested in shmups and belt scrollers so no big deal to me, personally.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Gave my MVS a new look with some perspex from Lions3.
https://imgur.com/a/USnUJBH
Pairs nicely with the H.A.S. and protects the PCB.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

Fudoh wrote:quite some ago already.
Any findings about that RGB output specs? Did you connect it to the OSSC or Framemeister without issues?

I just saw this guy connecting it to a Framemeister with a Genesis Model 1 RGB cable without apparent problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Hqg8TuYmA
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, sorry, just using component as of now. I don't have a dedicated RGB cable for it and wasn't sure about the pinout. I like to get a stereo mod extended to the DIN connector first, so I can run RGB along with stereo into scart or JP21.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

Maybe you might find this helpful?

By user PierreVonStaines comments in this audio mod video for the cbox neogeo:
https://youtu.be/ys33lG3prag

"If you have a multi metre and are using RGB SCART on this, check the voltage on the composite sync pin 20 of the SCART plug. It wants to be ideally 1 volt, but no higher than 3 volts really for a scan converter to be protected. If it is over then add a 1/4 watt 470ohm resistor and 220uf 16 volt capacitor (negative pin on cap soldered to pin 20 on SCART plug) in series on pin 20 in the SCART plug to properly attenuate the signal. That should lower the voltage when you re measure it. I don’t think they have added to the console that’s why this is a problem. If it is still over 3 volts after the mod to the SCART plug add a second 470ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series with the first. This only applies to Euro SCART and not JP21 as I am not familiar with JP21.

It is also worth noting that the SCART plug should really have 75ohm 1/4 Watt resistors coupled with 220uF 16v caps (negative lead of caps to the pins on the SCART plug) on the Red Pin 15, Green Pin 11and the Blue Pin 7 wires on the euro SCART plug so the colours are correctly balanced. Also a bridging 180ohm resistor on the 5v connection between Pins 16 and 8. On a euro SCART plug Pin 16 is the 5V need to activate RGB on the TV and Pin 8 is 4.3 and 16.9 auto switch on most televisions. It might default to 16.9 aspect ratio due to the lower voltage. Remember this info is for European SCART connections only. JP21 is wired differently and this wiring information could damage your equipment if it uses JP21.

This one featured on this video looks like a C shape AES 8 PIn Din style connection. If the pin holes on the socket look like a C shaped turned counter clockwise 90 degrees then it is an AES SCART cable you will need to get. However, if the pin alignment on the socket look like a U shape then it would be a Megadrive 1 SCART cable you would need instead. The two din plugs are the same size except for the C and U shape spacing on the pins. Wait until you get it before ordering a RGB SCART cable. Note that these SCART cables are both wired for mono sound as standard and they won’t have any protection resistor and capacitor combo on pin 20 of the SCART plug in most cases. You will need to check and add these components as mentioned above in my previous post."
jd213

Post by jd213 »

FWIW, my unit had an AES (c-shaped) RGB port, while I see that Retrocore on YouTube said that his has a Megadrive 1 (U-shaped) port. Dunno if it makes a difference but I got the smoke colored one (not clear) and mine shipped from Singapore, not China.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

My Cbox has an NTSC Sega Saturn video port. i have the deluxe model that also has component Output.
also they soldered a new bios chip directly to the motherboard it no longer has the DIP adapter board that they show on some of them.

i think its just a newer version.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Any thoughts on the NeoBiosMasta board? I'm wondering if once attached to the MVS can still be removed if needed, for eg I decide to replace it with the one that has the virtual memory card.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Sure. Neobiosmasta just plugs on top of the Cpu. its easy to remove. you just have to unsolder 2 wires.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Sweet, thanks a lot mvsfan!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

holaplaneta wrote:
Any findings about that RGB output specs?
I just checked mine out last night.

Sync VPP is 1.6v
RGB VPP .85v

Sync should be corrected. RGB could be dialed in too, but won't damage anything at least. I'll check out the best and/or easiest way to fix it in the coming days.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

citrus3000psi wrote:
holaplaneta wrote:
Any findings about that RGB output specs?
I just checked mine out last night.

Sync VPP is 1.6v
RGB VPP .85v

Sync should be corrected. RGB could be dialed in too, but won't damage anything at least. I'll check out the best and/or easiest way to fix it in the coming days.
Is this valid for all mvs boards?
I have a 2 slots consolized that haven't used for a while and I would like to make it safe for my PVM.

I notice the image is brighter compared to my AES.

Are 75ohms enough?
Also I remember someone commenting 220uF caps are not needed.

My setup has a sync striker so does it need attenuated sync or the sync striker will handle it?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Really tempted to pick one of these up.

Would this be safe to use on my SD CRT TV using component?
Or even plugging it in my OSSC?

Read earlier that these thing could potential harm my other devices.