What's the status of that PSX IO thing?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: What's the status of that PSX IO thing?

Post by maxtherabbit »

I've never actually seen a retail pressed disc fail, I've got PC CDROMs from the early 90s that still read fine

Not saying it's impossible, just can't really believe it's common
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

maxtherabbit wrote:I've never actually seen a retail pressed disc fail, I've got PC CDROMs from the early 90s that still read fine

I noticed it on my Saturn and dreamcast games mostly.

My dreamcast would not read my favorite titles leaving me with worthless cds in my wallet that even the skipdoctor couldn’t fix.

I think the skipdoctor was a part of the problem too.

For some reason the games I buy off eBay work great then and now.

I use TY CDR’s now and they still don’t work right all the time. Im convinced it’s because I need a multiple CDR drives on old desktops that are max 1x , max 2x, and max 4x.

That would probably solve my cdr backup issues.
Copyright 1987
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hoagtech wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:I've never actually seen a retail pressed disc fail, I've got PC CDROMs from the early 90s that still read fine

I noticed it on my Saturn and dreamcast games mostly.

My dreamcast would not read my favorite titles leaving me with worthless cds in my wallet that even the skipdoctor couldn’t fix.

I think the skipdoctor was a part of the problem too.

For some reason the games I buy off eBay work great then and now.

I use TY CDR’s now and they still don’t work right all the time. Im convinced it’s because I need a multiple CDR drives on old desktops that are max 1x , max 2x, and max 4x.

That would probably solve my cdr backup issues.
There's always the chance of the problem being your system's laser and not the discs. Check the disc up against sunlight or a light bulb and see if there are any holes where the light shines through- that's a bad disc.

As for CD-R backups, these days most burners are optimized for burning CD-Rs at the highest speed possible. I previously thought that burning at a lower speed was always better, but for music CDs I would get skipping and read errors in my car if I hadn't burned at the max speed.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
As for CD-R backups, these days most burners are optimized for burning CD-Rs at the highest speed possible. I previously thought that burning at a lower speed was always better, but for music CDs I would get skipping and read errors in my car if I hadn't burned at the max speed.
it really varies on the recorder - I get best results with TYs burning at 10x
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Do M-DISC exist in CD format ? those are supposed to last 1000 years...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
If max speed isn't the best, is there a more scientific way to determine the best write speed for my drive?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Xyga wrote:Do M-DISC exist in CD format ? those are supposed to last 1000 years...
I don't believe so. Last I looked into M-Disc, they were only available in DVD (which you need a specific M-Disc burner for) and Blu-ray (which can be written with any BD-R/RW).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
If max speed isn't the best, is there a more scientific way to determine the best write speed for my drive?
if you have a calibrated optical block and a scope you could test the discs for jitter

I don't have any of that so I just burned a bunch and tried them on different drives and found the ones that worked best :oops:
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

bobrocks95 wrote:If max speed isn't the best, is there a more scientific way to determine the best write speed for my drive?
Some drives can report the correction rates for the two error correction layers (C1/C2 for CD, PIF/POF for DVD) when reading a disc and there are programs that can scan a disc and create a nice graph of correction per capacity. Technically it's only valid for the drive the test was made with, but general trends of low/high correction requirements probably apply to other drives reading the same disc.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Xyga wrote:Do M-DISC exist in CD format ? those are supposed to last 1000 years...
The few CD-Rs I can recommend are the same CD-Rs that were used by Sony themselves manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (Made in Japan by Tayo Yuden themselves and not made by a third party), or as a second choice the Mitsubishi Super/Hyper AZO CD-Rs that are Made in Singapore (Mitsubishi main factory is/was located in Singapore, if it says "Made in India" or something else it means it's not made by Mitsubishi themselves, but by a third party).
JBC

Post by JBC »

I finally got an email the other day saying my mainboard is being worked on. Shouldn't be much longer now. Ordered mine back in November of 2017.

It is a shame about them not offering installation for PSOne models. It's the nicest looking PSX & fits well in my jam packed cabinet. Gonna have to do some shifting around when it arrives... Sigh.
Godzilla was an inside job
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

8BA wrote:It is a shame about them not offering installation for PSOne models.
That's because PSOne does not have the parralel port, the last one to have a parralel port was the SCPH-7500.
FBX

Post by FBX »

The latest is they've finally green-lit the actual production run and expect to start shipping the June/July orders from last year by late next month. So it will have been literally over a year since my pre-order, but better late than never! :mrgreen:
JBC

Post by JBC »

I got my mainboard back today & put everything back together. Everything's working fine except my laser is balls after 9 months in storage.

Can't believe I have to wait another two months for the PSIO itself but it'll be worth it in the end. Sigh...
FBX

Post by FBX »

Yeah, I saw the ship date has been delayed again until the end of August!
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Older thread, but hopefully the people interested in the PSIO will see this...

So who else here (I'm USA based), received a tracking for their PSIO around October 7th, and the tracking hasn't moved from "EN ROUTE TO DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER" for, well, 18 days now? I emailed them asking why and they said it takes a "couple days" to update...guess they didn't actually read my email (nor did they respond to my reply email yet).

I mean, if you're going to make people wait a year for something, please almighty buddah, don't tease them about it actually shipping...then not have it ship lol. (and I haven't said a peep now about the year wait...but this is annoying as F!).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I got mine in the shipment before yours, but yes, there were a few weeks between the shipping announcement and the actual drop off into the mail system. FBX might be able to comment how long it actually took for US residents to arrive.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Dochartaigh wrote:Older thread, but hopefully the people interested in the PSIO will see this...

So who else here (I'm USA based), received a tracking for their PSIO around October 7th, and the tracking hasn't moved from "EN ROUTE TO DHL ECOMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER" for, well, 18 days now? I emailed them asking why and they said it takes a "couple days" to update...guess they didn't actually read my email (nor did they respond to my reply email yet).

I mean, if you're going to make people wait a year for something, please almighty buddah, don't tease them about it actually shipping...then not have it ship lol. (and I haven't said a peep now about the year wait...but this is annoying as F!).
Same here, I have no idea if it's shipped, waiting to be shipped, or lost. The news section says group 3 orders are "Shipped & Completed". I posted on their forums, and Matt said they should update this week.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Mine was in the September batch. The exact same thing happened to me. After about 20 days, it updated and I eventually received it.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Same here, but it didn't suprise me somehow. Mine's still in Australia as of right now but is being carted around so it should be in the air soon. I'm in the middle of a move so I'll have to return to my old home when it arrives. Sigh...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Is the software still being worked on? That's what I always hear the problem is.
Like, how many games don't? Glitches on games that do work? What's the scoop?
I don't care if it's hard to install, because I wouldn't be doing it. :lol:

Does it have a menu? Any format problems? Like, does it only support some rare-ass image files?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Is the software still being worked on? That's what I always hear the problem is.
Like, how many games don't? Glitches on games that do work? What's the scoop?
I don't care if it's hard to install, because I wouldn't be doing it. :lol:

Does it have a menu? Any format problems? Like, does it only support some rare-ass image files?
All questions that are more likely to be answered here http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum/ ... m.php?f=26
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Glad to know it's not just me about the shipping...I'll sit here and wait, non-patiently lol.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Fudoh wrote:I got mine in the shipment before yours, but yes, there were a few weeks between the shipping announcement and the actual drop off into the mail system. FBX might be able to comment how long it actually took for US residents to arrive.
Mine took nearly a month to arrive after the initial shipping notification. It seemed to have sat in Sydney for half of the shipping time.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

After hearing about the XA audio problems it has (on which I never found any info back when I looked into the PSIO and pre-ordered it last year), I am not really eager at all to receive it anyway, may end up just re-selling it. That's just really disappointing. Best case scenario they do somehow fix the problem through a simple firmware update by the time I finish playing through my CD collection.
Gara

Post by Gara »

fernan1234 wrote:After hearing about the XA audio problems it has (on which I never found any info back when I looked into the PSIO and pre-ordered it last year), I am not really eager at all to receive it anyway, may end up just re-selling it. That's just really disappointing. Best case scenario they do somehow fix the problem through a simple firmware update by the time I finish playing through my CD collection.
What exactly are the XA audio problems? I've looked around and details seem hard to find. From what I can gather the games that use CD audio tracks all have issues of some sort? Audio quality degradation and things like fade support (Bust a Groove pause menu)?

There seems to be plans to fix it but it doesn't seem to be a priority. The comments seem to say they will fix it when they have sold more units. Hopefully it doesn't turn into another Terraonion.

http://www.cybdyn-systems.com.au/forum/ ... dio#p13096
Yes, the XA degradation will be fixed in the future, but we've been focusing on other key tasks at the moment (production mostly to get PSIO into the hands of our extremely patient and loyal pre-order customers and firmware updates for games which customers have been reporting to us). As I mentioned though, we need to see support for PSIO in order to keep us going on the more advanced tasks like new XA logic, because coding up a fast yet high quality XA decoder isn't easy. XA works perfect at the moment and it honestly isn't that bad (you actually need to stream the audio to a PC and compare it to actually hear the differences, and if you want to hear it yourself, check out the JIRA database for "Castlevania").
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I saw that recently too, but "it honestly isn't that bad" is unacceptable when it comes to a core feature of the PSX's CD audio when it comes to an optical drive emulator. Otherwise it's not a true replacement for CDs.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:I saw that recently too, but "it honestly isn't that bad" is unacceptable when it comes to a core feature of the PSX's CD audio when it comes to an optical drive emulator. Otherwise it's not a true replacement for CDs.
The PSIO isn't a replacement for the optical drive; it fits alongside (figuratively speaking) the optical drive and provides the ability to alternatively boot software from an SD card or from a PC via USB. It doesn't replace the optical drive in the same way a GDEMU does; and, if it did, it probably wouldn't be having any of the problems that it does now. :)
strygo

Post by strygo »

nmalinoski wrote: The PSIO isn't a replacement for the optical drive; it fits alongside (figuratively speaking) the optical drive and provides the ability to alternatively boot software from an SD card or from a PC via USB. It doesn't replace the optical drive in the same way a GDEMU does; and, if it did, it probably wouldn't be having any of the problems that it does now. :)
Given the abundance of PS1s (in the USA at least), I think their decision to retain CD capability vs. a full ODE will prove to be the wrong one. For me, my interest in the PS-IO is the same as my interest in EverDrives - the ability to have your entire collection on the device, with no need to mess with media ever again. Having incompatibility with the caveat that you can still use your discs isn't really a solution, and I believe that is where fernan1234's sentiment is coming from.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Of all the systems I own the PS1 is the biggest PITA to get a working laser for.

Everything available is a cheap Chinese knock off that you need to rebuild with the old parts to make any good, then they go out of tune super fast.

Using a second hand laser is just as bad unless its from a PSONE, those laser are tough as but you need ribbon extensions to fit them to the other PS1.