OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by ASDR »

FBX wrote: That's news to me. I always understood the Saturn ran both 320 and 352 with a vertical res of 224. So you're saying there's actual graphics in Donpachi that go past the 224 area and into 240? I'll have to download the ISO and check it out for myself. Not saying you're lying, but I just need to vet these things before I make that correction. Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: Some lazy SOB decided to use mp3s for the audio tracks on the ISO image for Donpachi, which of course crashes the game when you try to start a stage. However, the title screen did show full 240p usage, so I've edited and re-uploaded the text files to only recommend 8 pixel vertical mask if the game is meant to run in 224p mode (will take a refresh to see the changes). Also added Dreamcast VGA Toro Box to the list.
Donpachi has an 'RGB monitor' option, with that it fills the complete screen on my TV. I think it's the only Saturn game I've seen that actually does this. Most 3D games have a fairly large border, 2D games generally smaller.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

FBX wrote:Cool. If you feel up to it, try to make a text file for the Japanese counterparts that play in 256. The criteria is main gameplay, so even if menus or titles screens play in 320, if main gameply is done in 256, it counts for the list.
Sure, I'll take a look and provide a list of the titles I already have in my collection, at least to begin with.
In the meantime, I spent most of the night coding my repository page to look even more retro with the SNES graphics, and I sectioned off each family of consoles according to company. Still a lot of work to do in the coming days, but it's getting there! (hit refresh to sync the latest content):

http://www.firebrandx.com/osscprofiles.html

-FBX
Looks pretty neat, well done!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

FBX, if you ever get around to it, it would be awesome to have a "general settings" section for the OSSC similar to the general Framemeister notes you have. For example, do you find that 90% of the time you use this setting over that setting? I know that your thing is pixel perfection for each specific console, but for those of us who really just want to set and forget, it would be good to have a list of settings that will provide a great (not perfect) picture most of the time and don't require changing all the time (or ever, preferably).
Kez

Post by Kez »

To be honest the OSSC is pretty great even on standard settings. If you just leave it on Generic 4:3 most of the time you will be pretty happy.
FBX

Post by FBX »

thebigcheese wrote:FBX, if you ever get around to it, it would be awesome to have a "general settings" section for the OSSC similar to the general Framemeister notes you have. For example, do you find that 90% of the time you use this setting over that setting? I know that your thing is pixel perfection for each specific console, but for those of us who really just want to set and forget, it would be good to have a list of settings that will provide a great (not perfect) picture most of the time and don't require changing all the time (or ever, preferably).

Yeah that's not really a 'thing' with the OSSC. The current firmware has most things set to a pretty nice standard. I noticed when I redid the Toro Box VGA profile, the newest OSSC firmware had perfectly calibrated RGB for it, when older firmwares had it way too bright. Other than that, I suppose you could just 'not worry' about sharp pixels and just use generic lineXx modes, but then you lose a lot of the appeal of the OSSC.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

FBX wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:FBX, if you ever get around to it, it would be awesome to have a "general settings" section for the OSSC similar to the general Framemeister notes you have. For example, do you find that 90% of the time you use this setting over that setting? I know that your thing is pixel perfection for each specific console, but for those of us who really just want to set and forget, it would be good to have a list of settings that will provide a great (not perfect) picture most of the time and don't require changing all the time (or ever, preferably).

Yeah that's not really a 'thing' with the OSSC. The current firmware has most things set to a pretty nice standard. I noticed when I redid the Toro Box VGA profile, the newest OSSC firmware had perfectly calibrated RGB for it, when older firmwares had it way too bright. Other than that, I suppose you could just 'not worry' about sharp pixels and just use generic lineXx modes, but then you lose a lot of the appeal of the OSSC.
As someone who hasn't gotten to mess with an OSSC yet, that's one of the things that makes me really hesitant about getting one. I know I won't be able to resist optimized timings, but after setting them up if they can't be saved to a profile and accessed with a button press, I worry I'd spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing games...

Does the OSSC show input resolution, and you could then just pick a saved optimized profile for it with the remote? Are there any plans for supporting more than 10 profiles? When PS1 games alone have 4 or more different optimal timing setups, I struggle to see how the OSSC could approach plug and play for me.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
FBX

Post by FBX »

bobrocks95 wrote: As someone who hasn't gotten to mess with an OSSC yet, that's one of the things that makes me really hesitant about getting one. I know I won't be able to resist optimized timings, but after setting them up if they can't be saved to a profile and accessed with a button press, I worry I'd spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing games...

Does the OSSC show input resolution, and you could then just pick a saved optimized profile for it with the remote? Are there any plans for supporting more than 10 profiles? When PS1 games alone have 4 or more different optimal timing setups, I struggle to see how the OSSC could approach plug and play for me.
If somehow it were possible to load profiles from the microSD card slot, that would be HUGE! Right now though, you have 10 slots on the OSSC itself, and you have to write down what you assigned each to. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it's already not enough to handle my wall of consoles. I need at least 30 slots, if not more.
Ashura

Post by Ashura »

This is something I’ve been curious about myself. Is there some technical reason stopping profiles being saved to the SD card from happening other than time to implement the feature? I know development time is limited, size of the FPGA is limited, and not everything people ask for can be implemented, but I feel like this is one of those features which would greatly expand the usability of the OSSC for more general consumers.

FBX’s amazing work breathed new life into the Framemeister for me, and I feel like the profile thing is the one thing other than TV compatibility that holds the OSSC back from plug and play users.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Ashura wrote:This is something I’ve been curious about myself. Is there some technical reason stopping profiles being saved to the SD card from happening other than time to implement the feature? I know development time is limited, size of the FPGA is limited, and not everything people ask for can be implemented, but I feel like this is one of those features which would greatly expand the usability of the OSSC for more general consumers.
I think it is generally the limitations of the FPGA at this point. I vaguely remember the release notes for firmware 0.81 saying that available memory has pretty much been exhausted.

Since marqs is now looking at a more powerful FPGA for a new revision of the OSSC, I'd say expanded or alternate profile storage would have to wait till that revision.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

FBX wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: As someone who hasn't gotten to mess with an OSSC yet, that's one of the things that makes me really hesitant about getting one. I know I won't be able to resist optimized timings, but after setting them up if they can't be saved to a profile and accessed with a button press, I worry I'd spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing games...

If somehow it were possible to load profiles from the microSD card slot, that would be HUGE! Right now though, you have 10 slots on the OSSC itself, and you have to write down what you assigned each to. I suppose it's better than nothing, but it's already not enough to handle my wall of consoles. I need at least 30 slots, if not more.
How have you chosen to deal with this so far FBX? Optimized timing for consoles you really like and going with generic for something you don't play often? Tweaking every time you start up a game you don't have a profile for?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
FBX

Post by FBX »

bobrocks95 wrote:
How have you chosen to deal with this so far FBX? Optimized timing for consoles you really like and going with generic for something you don't play often? Tweaking every time you start up a game you don't have a profile for?
I rarely get to sit back and enjoy video games these days. If I'm not researching profiles, I'm working on mod boards, soldering jobs, coding my web site, etc. Hell it took me something like 8 years to finish the NES palette work :-P

After I finish the Genesis M1 line amp board kit, my next project is going to be a complete recap of my 20M2U PVM, and then I'm going to have to master adjusting the convergence so I can make it look as close to 'perfect' as I can.

The quest for perfect never ends!
rama

Post by rama »

FBX, have I told you about the GBS-8200 yet?
You know, that $25 device that has all the potential, if only people went to *work* on this thing? ;)
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

nmalinoski wrote: I think it is generally the limitations of the FPGA at this point. I vaguely remember the release notes for firmware 0.81 saying that available memory has pretty much been exhausted.

Since marqs is now looking at a more powerful FPGA for a new revision of the OSSC, I'd say expanded or alternate profile storage would have to wait till that revision.
Afaik, the next step (for current hardware) is rather a replacement ”soft CPU” that is more efficient/ takes up less fpga resources, freeing up more space to work with.
Next hardware revision is more likely years away.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Harrumph wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: I think it is generally the limitations of the FPGA at this point. I vaguely remember the release notes for firmware 0.81 saying that available memory has pretty much been exhausted.

Afaik, the next step (for current hardware) is rather a replacement ”soft CPU” that is more efficient/ takes up less fpga resources, freeing up more space to work with.
Next hardware revision is more likely years away.
Ah, yes; you are correct. I was under the impression that marqs was looking at a different FPGA chip that allowed for more headroom and capability, which I can't imagine would be compatible with the existing firmwares.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

bobrocks95 wrote:
FBX wrote:

As someone who hasn't gotten to mess with an OSSC yet, that's one of the things that makes me really hesitant about getting one. I know I won't be able to resist optimized timings, but after setting them up if they can't be saved to a profile and accessed with a button press, I worry I'd spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing games...

I'm not sure why you say not worrying about sharp pixels loses the appeal of the OSSC. With more people going to 4k TVs, it's going to be virtually impossible to get truly perfect pixels anyway no matter what (current) scaler you use. While once I did worry about the "perfect" picture for each system, ultimately it was just too annoying to have to load a custom profile any time I wanted to play a different system, so I decided I'd rather spend time actually playing than worrying about slight discrepancies. For me, the main appeal of the OSSC was the lag-free scaling and better color handling. It's a bummer that it doesn't deinterlace well, but TVs do it well enough now that I'm not that worried about it. I find the generic 4:3 default settings work pretty well for everything, but was more curious if you had ideas for some of the more nitpicky things like the 480p linedouble options. Or if there is like... instead of generic 4:3, use this other thing that will get you closer to perfect 90% of the time. If the generic 4:3 is already that setting, then it would still be good to know that.

In regards to the profiles, you can access them just about as easily as on the Framemeister which is to say through a small menu. I've never found loading profiles to be very convenient on either scaler, which is a big reason why I have given up on them.

Speaking of scaling to 4k, I see Monoprice sells a couple Blackbird HDMI scalers: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30459. I am curious how well these would handle taking a 720p output from the OSSC and scaling it to 4k. They are pretty cheap, though I think they have some more expensive ones, too. If they offer nearest neighbor scaling instead of interpolated scaling, might be a good option for people with lower quality TV scaling.
Last edited by thebigcheese on Thu May 17, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CastingDreams

Post by CastingDreams »

Here:
Memory is really tight on the OSSC at the moment, and I am afraid only importing may be viable. I have been working on support for importing settings from the microSD card and even just that takes us within a few hundred bytes (note: not kilobytes!) of using all of the remaining usable memory. I am still trying to get the memory usage lower, but do not expect any miracles.

Writing a PC application to manage settings and write them to the SD card is probably the way to go, especially given that there simply is not enough memory left on the OSSC to maintain any kind of backward compatibility for existing settings when the firmware is upgraded.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:As someone who hasn't gotten to mess with an OSSC yet, that's one of the things that makes me really hesitant about getting one. I know I won't be able to resist optimized timings, but after setting them up if they can't be saved to a profile and accessed with a button press, I worry I'd spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing games...

In regards to the profiles, you can access them just about as easily as on the Framemeister which is to say through a small menu. I've never found loading profiles to be very convenient on either scaler, which is a big reason why I have given up on them.
It's more of a pain configuring profiles, since you need to configure each one individually, and using the remote.

As for loading profiles, it's significantly easier, assuming you have a remote; you just push the 10+ button at the bottom left, then press 0-9 to load the corresponding profile.
CastingDreams wrote:
Memory is really tight on the OSSC at the moment, and I am afraid only importing may be viable. I have been working on support for importing settings from the microSD card and even just that takes us within a few hundred bytes (note: not kilobytes!) of using all of the remaining usable memory. I am still trying to get the memory usage lower, but do not expect any miracles.

Writing a PC application to manage settings and write them to the SD card is probably the way to go, especially given that there simply is not enough memory left on the OSSC to maintain any kind of backward compatibility for existing settings when the firmware is upgraded.
Thank you. I think importing should be enough, and configuring profiles using a PC application would be way easier and faster than doing it with a remote. It should also then be possible for people like FBX to release profile sets you can download, import, and select for inclusion in your firmware flash.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

thebigcheese wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:As someone who hasn't gotten to mess with an OSSC yet, that's one of the things that makes me really hesitant about getting one. I know I won't be able to resist optimized timings, but after setting them up if they can't be saved to a profile and accessed with a button press, I worry I'd spend more time tweaking settings than actually playing games...

I'm not sure why you say not worrying about sharp pixels loses the appeal of the OSSC. With more people going to 4k TVs, it's going to be virtually impossible to get truly perfect pixels anyway no matter what (current) scaler you use. While once I did worry about the "perfect" picture for each system, ultimately it was just too annoying to have to load a custom profile any time I wanted to play a different system, so I decided I'd rather spend time actually playing than worrying about slight discrepancies.
Whatever minor form of OCD I have wouldn't allow that unfortunately. If I know there's a way to make the picture look better I'll sit there for 15 minutes or however long it takes to do it. What that would ultimately amount to if I had an OSSC would be a lot less time spent playing games and a lot more time spent setting them up (poor FBX :cry: ).

I'm not in the market for one right now anyway since my Sony could only accept x2, but hopefully when I upgrade TVs the OSSC has had some upgrades on this front too.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

bobrocks95 wrote: Whatever minor form of OCD I have wouldn't allow that unfortunately. If I know there's a way to make the picture look better I'll sit there for 15 minutes or however long it takes to do it. What that would ultimately amount to if I had an OSSC would be a lot less time spent playing games and a lot more time spent setting them up (poor FBX :cry: ).

I'm not in the market for one right now anyway since my Sony could only accept x2, but hopefully when I upgrade TVs the OSSC has had some upgrades on this front too.
I personally dig the 'setting everything up' part of the process just as much as the 'let's play' culmination. It's entertaining and informative, when it can be finalized to a satisfying result.

I found myself trying to achieve a reasonable (at least, I thought it was reasonable) degree of perfection with my CRT TVs and monitors, but ultimately gave up. The effort, the constant changing, switching, tinkering - on top of the lack of tech support in the area where I live - simply didn't produce an outcome I was genuinely happy with. It was frustrating, and felt like I was wasting time and money.
That said, last night, I realized how the OSSC - combined with a decent, all around monitor - pretty much allows me to finally enjoy that level of perfection, at the cost of... What, really? Setting up optimal profiles for all my consoles and saving them to different slots. It doesn't sound like a massive hurdle, especially when there are people like Marqs, Borti, Paul, FBX and many more who provide features, resources and support.

I totally respect your expectations, and I'm not saying you should just deal with it and buy an OSSC. What I'm trying to clarify is: don't get discouraged by all this 'optimal tweaking' talk. It's not even remotely as time consuming and game breaking as it sounds.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Well said!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

I think I may be in the minority in that I bought the OSSC for the simplicity and not for the in-depth tweaking :p Mostly I just liked that it had no input lag and the potential for a shorter delay when switching resolutions. I gave up on the Framemeister after buying a PVM and remembering what no input lag was like, but eventually got frustrated with the imperfect geometry that I could never fix. Maybe my pixels aren't perfect squares on the HDTV, but at least the picture doesn't bulge weirdly in places. With the OSSC and a gscartsw_lite hooked up (plus a new HDTV with basically no added lag), I now have a great picture, only about 1 frame of lag, and zero fiddling required. Just turn on a console and play, don't have to switch inputs or profiles or anything. It's the pinnacle of simplicity and I love it. Had to set a few things up at first, of course, but nothing to change since then.

So anyway, to each their own. I don't think the OSSC is a hard device to use, but some of the settings make no sense to me and probably won't make sense to most people who aren't big TV technology nerds. But FBX has done most of that heavy lifting now, so it doesn't really matter. But I also think it's great for people who want something that just works and doesn't get in the way provided they have a tolerant TV.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

thebigcheese wrote:I think I may be in the minority in that I bought the OSSC for the simplicity and not for the in-depth tweaking :p Mostly I just liked that it had no input lag and the potential for a shorter delay when switching resolutions. I gave up on the Framemeister after buying a PVM and remembering what no input lag was like, but eventually got frustrated with the imperfect geometry that I could never fix. Maybe my pixels aren't perfect squares on the HDTV, but at least the picture doesn't bulge weirdly in places. With the OSSC and a gscartsw_lite hooked up (plus a new HDTV with basically no added lag), I now have a great picture, only about 1 frame of lag, and zero fiddling required. Just turn on a console and play, don't have to switch inputs or profiles or anything. It's the pinnacle of simplicity and I love it. Had to set a few things up at first, of course, but nothing to change since then.

So anyway, to each their own. I don't think the OSSC is a hard device to use, but some of the settings make no sense to me and probably won't make sense to most people who aren't big TV technology nerds. But FBX has done most of that heavy lifting now, so it doesn't really matter. But I also think it's great for people who want something that just works and doesn't get in the way provided they have a tolerant TV.
Nope, that's why I got one too. I liked that it wasn't more complicated than it needed to be. It's pretty close to plug and play for me, just need to turn on the console and select the appropriate inputs on the OSSC and switch I have.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Galdelico wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: Whatever minor form of OCD I have wouldn't allow that unfortunately. If I know there's a way to make the picture look better I'll sit there for 15 minutes or however long it takes to do it. What that would ultimately amount to if I had an OSSC would be a lot less time spent playing games and a lot more time spent setting them up (poor FBX :cry: ).

I personally dig the 'setting everything up' part of the process just as much as the 'let's play' culmination. It's entertaining and informative, when it can be finalized to a satisfying result.

I found myself trying to achieve a reasonable (at least, I thought it was reasonable) degree of perfection with my CRT TVs and monitors, but ultimately gave up. The effort, the constant changing, switching, tinkering - on top of the lack of tech support in the area where I live - simply didn't produce an outcome I was genuinely happy with. It was frustrating, and felt like I was wasting time and money.
That said, last night, I realized how the OSSC - combined with a decent, all around monitor - pretty much allows me to finally enjoy that level of perfection, at the cost of... What, really? Setting up optimal profiles for all my consoles and saving them to different slots. It doesn't sound like a massive hurdle, especially when there are people like Marqs, Borti, Paul, FBX and many more who provide features, resources and support.

I totally respect your expectations, and I'm not saying you should just deal with it and buy an OSSC. What I'm trying to clarify is: don't get discouraged by all this 'optimal tweaking' talk. It's not even remotely as time consuming and game breaking as it sounds.
Setting them up once will be fun! I enjoy tweaking stuff and seeing what happens as well. The problem is that the existing 10 profile slots would cause me to run out of room after just my Genesis, PS1, and Saturn. When profiles are expanded I agree it'll be easy enough to use even for those who want to mess with optimal timings.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Lots of machines indeed look absolutely gorgeous via the OSSC without any tweaking, only minor flaws here and there, I too appreciate the simplicity of it, especially as you say thebigcheese: with a display that fully supports it.
The only things I can't help but change often are the output scaling factors and scanlines when I use them, that's where I get ocd because I find not only each system but also various types of graphics have settings that are right for them.
I think I'd need a few profile slots per hardware to save those basic settings, and give those profiles custom names, for instance PS1 2D, PS1 3D, PS1 Yoko, PS1...
^^
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Setting them up once will be fun! I enjoy tweaking stuff and seeing what happens as well. The problem is that the existing 10 profile slots would cause me to run out of room after just my Genesis, PS1, and Saturn. When profiles are expanded I agree it'll be easy enough to use even for those who want to mess with optimal timings.
One thing I'm under the impression it often slips unnoticed. Profiles can be combined.
Example: FBX provided 3 profiles specific for the Saturn, two for progressive resolutions (320p and 352p) and one for interlaced. Now, if it's true that you'd need two separate slots for 320p optim. and 352p optim. - as they both require 240p/288p proc > your LineXx mode of choice > 320x240 optim. - there's no need to blow a third one just for the latter, as it can be easily connected to the other two, since it's tied to a different output (Virtua Fighter 2 mixes up hi-res assets and 352p elements; Galaxy Fight does the same, running at a standard 320p yet featuring higher resolution loading screens).

I realize many of us here own a ton of systems - and 10 slots run out fast - but still, profile management can be optimized.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Galdelico wrote: One thing I'm under the impression it often slips unnoticed. Profiles can be combined.
I was just about to point this out as well! :)

Not that more slots wouldn’t be good, ofc.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Galdelico wrote: Example: FBX provided 3 profiles specific for the Saturn, two for progressive resolutions (320p and 352p) and one for interlaced. Now, if it's true that you'd need two separate slots for 320p optim. and 352p optim. - as they both require 240p/288p proc > your LineXx mode of choice > 320x240 optim. - there's no need to blow a third one just for the latter, as it can be easily connected to the other two, since it's tied to a different output (Virtua Fighter 2 mixes up hi-res assets and 352p elements; Galaxy Fight does the same, running at a standard 320p yet featuring higher resolution loading screens).
In my case, the idea was to provide information so people can set up their own profiles. If I had tried to combine interlaced settings with the previous two profiles, that would confuse the heck out of a lot of people. That said, if you can get it to work where it remembers settings for both modes at the same time, all the more power to ya!
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

FBX wrote: In my case, the idea was to provide information so people can set up their own profiles. If I had tried to combine interlaced settings with the previous two profiles, that would confuse the heck out of a lot of people. That said, if you can get it to work where it remembers settings for both modes at the same time, all the more power to ya!
Nono, what you're doing - in terms of precision and clarity - is absolutely spot-on. I didn't mean you should've explained anything differently.
I only wanted to point out how the OSSC can actually save different timings for different output modes on the same profile (video and post-processing settings will remain the same, though), which is something I believe some still haven't fully realized.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Not sure if there's a list to add it to but I just burnt PS1 Tekken 3 health bars into my Acer T232HL using stock OSSC settings.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Syntax wrote:Not sure if there's a list to add it to but I just burnt PS1 Tekken 3 health bars into my Acer T232HL using stock OSSC settings.
It's not OSSC's fault, unfortunately. IPS panels just don't cope well with severe screen flicker, and default settings for interlaced sources (such as Tekken 3) on the OSSC are Line2x w/ bob, which don't do anything to attenuate the artifacts. It's a known quirck from quite a while, now. If I'm not mistaken, it's also mentioned in the official wiki.
You can try and see if your monitor has a decent enough scaler to handle Passthrough nicely. Mine doesn't - it messes up screen ratio and IQ pretty badly - but being TN, it doesn't suffer from flicker retention either.

Now, a couple of pictures to celebrate the new firmware and FBX's work:

NTSC-J Virtua Fighter 2 on Model 2 Japanese Saturn (RGB Scart, Sync on Luma) - Line2x (bob) as per FBX's indications.

Fatal Fury 2 (with Pyron's color hack) on a Japanese Mega Drive 2 (RGB Scart, Csync) - Line2x, 256p optim., 8:7 aspect, once again according to FBX's profile.

SFI' SCE (with Pyron's color hack), as above.

In general, I love thicker scanlines, so I set them to manual, 100% strenght, 50% hybrid, Multiplication. It looks sublime (to me) in person, admittedly way better than in these pics.