Soul Eater full game now on Steam!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Re: Soul Eater full game now on Steam!

Post by qmish »

Ok, so i didnt like it that much. But art/design is pleasant and bosses have some nasty patterns. It's ok that they have boss rush as option, as stages feel least inspiring aside from illustrations.

That being said, i wish we could get pc/console release of Inheritage Boundaries of Existance which i liked on iOS/Android, but that's not believable anymore... (devs disappeared after failed metroidvania)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

PS4-bound, it would appear.
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Anyone know if tate support has been patched in?
Shine_me_up

Post by Shine_me_up »

Nice, thank you for the information!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

ReSe2k wrote:Anyone know if tate support has been patched in?
No, and doesn’t seem likely as it is designed as an upward scrolling horizontal shooter.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems an "enhanced" version is in the works, and a demo is available.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

BulletMagnet wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 am Seems an "enhanced" version is in the works, and a demo is available.
Would be interested in a breakdown of what all is different between this version and the original.
inno

Post by inno »

Tried the steam demo and enjoyed it.
I don't know enough about the old game to tell the differences to this new one. Someone on the steam forums speculated that it's based on the exa version but I don't know about that. Exa versions have been pretty restrictive to being arcade only afaik. Maybe the devs were "inspired" by it or something..
However, the big difference for me is that it has tate mode support now!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Is it doable to d/l the latest Soul Eater demo and play it on the Steam Deck? I don't see a d/l link when using the Steam Deck while browsing the Steam storefront or even through the new Soul Eater demo Steam site.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

It looks like the demo was taken down after Next Fest ended, unfortunately.
inno

Post by inno »

Demo is still up for me. It's on the right side of the store page.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2712 ... i_Rampage/
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:57 pm Is it doable to d/l the latest Soul Eater demo and play it on the Steam Deck? I don't see a d/l link when using the Steam Deck while browsing the Steam storefront or even through the new Soul Eater demo Steam site.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Yep, I played through it on Deck. Just had to go to "Desktop Mode" to actually download it.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

TATE support? Nice. Hopefully they update the PS version as well.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Looks like Youkai Rampage is out now.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

DietSoap wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:20 pm Looks like Youkai Rampage is out now.
And with a generous discount for owners of the original game.

Here's the Steam page (where the various bundles are listed):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2712 ... i_Rampage/
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I only paid a mere $8.09 usd with a 40% off discount for the Youkai Rampage game that's automatically d/l'ed -- it's a separate Shikhondo game unto itself. It's a 171.00+ mb d/l at best. It does support tate but there's no border to show the limits of where your character moves and can't move (leaving some extra space for user info if playing on a 16:9 widescreen monitor setup for both the top and bottom portions of the overall screen).

At least tate option is available from the get-go with this new-fangled "Youkai Rampage" game mode. It does run at an arcade-spec silky-smooth 60fps framerate which is awesome. I like the second gal, the "Grim Reaper", with the multiple streams of firepower as the player gets more shots directed at small fry, mid-stage bosses and end-stage bosses.

Looks great if running on an OLED 1080p monitor setup indeed (makes me wonder if the Dreamcast console would be able to handle Shikhondo or it's latest Youkai Rampage upgrade running in VGA mode in 480p format or even on the Sega Naomi 1/2 arcade hardware itself).

No online leaderboard support and only local leaderboard support. Sure would be nice if Youkai Rampage had replay saving capability from the get-go to watch and learn from your past gameplaying sessions. Does have support for Steam Deck which is a big plus in my book if you want to play Youkai Rampage "on the go" (you can even enable tate with the Steam Deck if so desired instead of playing it in yoko giving the actual game screen more real estate space to see everything more clearly and more easier on the eyes without dealing with "eye strain" issues with yoko mode).

The default screen resolution for either the 1st-gen Steam Deck or the OLED variant Steam Deck is capped to 1280 x 720 if playing it "on the go" -- otherwise it can support up to 4K resolution if playing it on a proper 4K gaming monitor + HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable if the Steam Deck is hooked up to a Dock port setup. How cool is that?

----------
Update: Today 4/18/2024, there was a 480.3 kb patch (which auto-downloads) released for Steam Shikhondo: Youkai Rampage -- it erases your previous highest scores and you basically start all over again from scratch, "score-wise". Also, when you defeat each end stage boss, you are given the opportunity to select either a "Soul Attack" or an extra "Life" added to your overall life inventory -- choose wisely as to which option would best benefit you on the next stage.
----------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~