Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rupert H

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by Rupert H »

I feel this picture is appropriate for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm feeling a lot of Taito love in that pic. Wow... =)
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Nice to see the figma is selling. What are the chances we'll ever see a shmup figure of this quality ever again?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Enmity

Post by Enmity »

Figured I should share this here lol

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

A little bit of Christmas shopping? :mrgreen: I wonder how loud the cabinet is.
Enmity

Post by Enmity »

EmperorIng wrote:A little bit of Christmas shopping? :mrgreen: I wonder how loud the cabinet is.

I turned the audio volume down since I have people living under me lol. The fans though, pretty loud. I was actually looking into finding quieter ones that would work as good replacements.
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Enmity wrote:I turned the audio volume down
HERESY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bICP8lYOS20
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
Enmity

Post by Enmity »

Heavy Viper wrote:
Enmity wrote:I turned the audio volume down
HERESY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bICP8lYOS20

lol. Its still pretty loud when in the same room. It was on full blast when I got it, not trying to piss off my new neighbors.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I've been spending a fair bit of time with Darius R, a game I used to think was abysmally half-arsed but which I've since developed an inordinate fondness for, and I have a question: where is that Tough Spring music from (heard at around 16:30 in this video)? It sounds really familiar, but it's not from a previous arcade Darius title, like the rest of the soundtrack, and I don't think it's from the PCE or SNES ones, either. Is it an original piece? It'd be the game's only one...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Klatrymadon wrote:I've been spending a fair bit of time with Darius R, a game I used to think was abysmally half-arsed but which I've since developed an inordinate fondness for, and I have a question: where is that Tough Spring music from (heard at around 16:30 in this video)? It sounds really familiar, but it's not from a previous arcade Darius title, like the rest of the soundtrack, and I don't think it's from the PCE or SNES ones, either. Is it an original piece? It'd be the game's only one...
That music sounds similar to Fantasy Zone's final boss theme.

Edit: I assumed it was a sound alike at first, but it's too similar to be a coincidence.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks! I read something on an unfinished-looking fan-wiki that said something about "secret" music from another game, so that must be it.

Edit: the Guard Savage piece (8:00 here) is another one that doesn't seem to be from an older Darius game. More Fantasy Zone stuff?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Started playing Ace of Seafood and the best thing about it is that it lets you name the squad.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Klatrymadon wrote:Edit: the Guard Savage piece (8:00 here) is another one that doesn't seem to be from an older Darius game. More Fantasy Zone stuff?
There are two "Unknown Songs" that were never figured out. Here's the rip.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Excellent, thanks a lot! I hated the unadorned my-first-computer MIDI sound when this first came out, but in the intervening years my appreciation for the early Darius games has grown to the point of obsession, so I'm absolutely loving these tracks as historical curiosities. I really like the version of Visionnerz that starts at what was the second half of the original piece.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Here's some very cool news: Japanese programmer Hidecade is nearly finished porting Darius to the Sega MegaDrive.
Video of a Full Run

Apparently it started as a proof-of-concept and well, now it's nearly complete. It'd be really cool to play this! Apparently from the twitter thread he said it wasn't an exact replica, so I don't know if he was taking Super Darius as his model or trying to tweak things on his own. I am impressed at how close the music sounds, how well the graphics fit the MD palette, and how there is no slowdown.

If the PCE can get both Darius 1 and 2, why not the Genesis, right? 8)
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Christ on several bikes, that's an astonishing achievement. Mouth's agape at how complete it looks, and how spot-on everything seems to be.

Edit: no you're welling up at the credits!
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Yeah, been watching that project update over the past few months. Looks and sounds amazingly accurate. Will be neat to have Darius 1 *and* Darius 2 on the ol' Drive. :3
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
FRO

Post by FRO »

WOW! That Darius port is impressive. The music sounds fantastic as interpreted on the Genesis, and the gameplay looks solid. It's been a while since I played it, and maybe I've become used to Gaiden forward, but it seemed like the bosses went down awful quick. Still, quite the achievement, and I would definitely love to see a wider release of the ROM. I'd pay to get a custom cart of that, for sure!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, I've been daydreaming about physical copies since I saw this. The bosses seem to last about as long as they do in the arcade versions with the faster autofire enabled (as it is here). The menu at the start seems to have an on/off toggle for that. It even has a boss rush mode!

Edit: Hidecade seems to be contemplating whether or not zone L might be too hard. I hope it doesn't get nerfed - it was real bastard in the other versions, and it'd be great if at least a few of the harder levels kept their teeth.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

So... Been a while. I've been frequenting an amazing arcade in Akihabara recently called Retro Game Museum and they have the most amazing cabinets you will ever see. Last weekend I stopped by to see they got something new and my head basically exploded on the spot:

For context, in nine years living here, I've never seen an original Darius II cab. Taito Hey! has a super-sized custom setup that I've posted about before, but for many years it has been set to easy mode for the tourists. This a real man's Darius II, standard hateful difficulty and no modified autofire. And my God that body sonic! Got seconds away from killing Mother Hawk on my first credit, and unfortunately didn't have time for another go, but I will be back. Haven't been this motivated for Darius II in years.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

So, so beautiful. Thanks for sharing these!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Stunning-- looks like a museum piece and then to think that it's not just for looking but for playing!
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Sweet Christmas! What a beautiful piece of engineering. Even MEGARAGE in Kawasaki (with their current complete Darius series setup) don’t have an original cab — they’re using a modified OG Darius cab. That thing looks pristine too. Positively glorious.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Those pics make me want to book a plane ticket to Tokyo right now. The experience of playing that cabinet (with headphones!) would be on par with visiting any of the wonders of the world.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Are any of the Cozmic Collection games 4 player?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

reckon luck wrote:Are any of the Cozmic Collection games 4 player?
Only Another Chronicle EX and the home release Chronicle Saviors are 4 player. All other games before are 2 players max.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

It's finally heeeeere!!! This game is a dream come true for me; it feels like a miracle that this even exists. I present to you the unboxing of Darius Cozmic Collection - Beep Limited Edition (with replica kit):

<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Damn. I'm sorta bummed that I missed out on the version with the extra games, which is of course long sold out (still a little upset at the whole approach!). But that's quite the pretty package! I didn't realize it came with all that lovely mock-up marquis art! I can Feel the Darius Love.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Curious what version of Darius Gaiden is on that. Can you blow up 3 of King Fossil's fins (without dying) and tell us if the bullets get larger and faster?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It seems to be in stock here, Ing, although I don't know if the store's any good.

I wouldn't normally go for expensive LE stuff, but I've been selling some of my less-used games off lately, and looking at those pictures has given me a bad case of the magpies.