AV-DRIVER: Universal RGB A/V Amplifier - Ideal for PCE/TG16!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
keropi

Re: AV-DRIVER: Universal RGB A/V Amplifier - Ideal for PCE/T

Post by keropi »

Sorry to bump this thread but since there is no white PCE info yet on the AV-Driver page I need your expertise :)
Do these settings look correct for a white JP PCE console?

also am I correct to assume that the scart cable connections are straight cables without any passives in the scart socket?

Thanks in advance for any info/help! :mrgreen:
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

The PCE should be the same settings as the TG16, AFAIK. It's all the same chips, just a different box. I made a video a little while back on how to install it, including all the correct settings to used based on the web research I had done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagazNB5i9c. I don't remember the settings off the top of my head, but I don't believe you want any attenuation of the video lines, just gain.

In regards to the cable, yes, just get straight wires, no resistors or capacitors. I've also got a link in the description of the video for the cable I used, though, if you're using a different connector, you may need something else. Retro Access can remove components from any cables you order, though.
keropi

Post by keropi »

thanks for the info thebigcheese , will go by your video :D
I already have my cable/connector, will modify it and remove any components used it's not an issue :mrgreen:
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Actually this brings up a good point. Tim, if you're around, do all four channels need to be set the same even though only three of them are actually used? On mine, I've only set the jumpers on three of the channels. Haven't had any issues so far, but just want to make sure. I'm also putting a write-up on my wiki, don't want to be giving out bad info.
keropi

Post by keropi »

I installed the AV-DRIVER to a friend's white PCE but I am not satisfied with the result , he gets on his LCD some jailbar-likenoise in solid colors and also sound parasites...
- Jailbar fix caps were also installed on the board.
- Audio was taken from the expansion port.
- he tried with both an old-style and switching PSUs , no difference in result
- the scart cable is a high quality one freshly ordered

I don't have a pic with the audio/socket wiring anymore but I do have the one with the RGBS/VCC/GND connections - the most important ones IMHO

What can I do to improve the install? Did I wire something wrong? I did my tests with a 1084 monitor but a crt is more forgiving than a lcd screen...

and here is a shot from the lcd panel, notice the faint jailbars in the light blue part of the sky:

any help/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 8)
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Good luck. I tried about everything I could think of on my TG16 and could never get rid of all the noise. You could try changing where you are grabbing power and ground from. Tim suggested in another thread that it's best to grab power as close as you can to the regulator. You could also try moving the AV Driver itself around and see if it helps. TBH, though, I think the AV Driver just tends to pick up interference from these already noisy consoles, so the only way to really get rid of all the noise may be to enclose it in a metal shield. I had also considered using some kind of shielded multicore cable for all the wiring, but that might be excessive and would certainly be a pain (though there are plenty of ground pads on the AV Driver to use for just such a purpose).

Regarding the audio, you could try grabbing those directly off the chip and see if that helps. Those are pins 17 and 18 of the 6280. Looks like pin 20 is specified as an audio ground, so not sure if that means it is supposed to be less noisey or what. But might be worth trying. Your wiring looks super tidy, so I don't think it's an issue there.
leonk

Post by leonk »

agreed. This is why I don’t use these anymore. The Duo rgb amps based on THS7374 give better results.
keropi

Post by keropi »

As per suggestions avoid installing the AV-DRIVER on top of the crystal or the ram chips on the white pce, the amp was moved towards the video out port and interference was eliminated.
So just don't install it on the same place I did like the pic I posted some posts above :P
rama

Post by rama »

@keropi
I don't suppose you did a picture of the optimized installation?
It would help others lots! :)
keropi

Post by keropi »

I did not take a pic, really nothing to show it's just crammed behind the rgb-out socket I added, at the rf encoder area... Nothing nice to see :lol: