PAL Master System 1 vertical lines on black color

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
unstablewarpfield

PAL Master System 1 vertical lines on black color

Post by unstablewarpfield »

Dear people,

For a while now there is a small thing that annoys me a little bit in my PAL Master system. Whenever I play a game with a lot of black in it I will get vertical lines in the blacks. Bright colors are more then fine and the image is perfect through my hydra switch and into my framemeister. I tried recapping the console but the problem persists. Could it be a faulty 7805 or any other power related problem?

Down below are some pictures that show pretty much what I see.

The first one shows the lines and also some weird ghosting/reflection effect I guess?
The scond one shows the image from straight in front of the tv, not looking down upon the tv. The lines still persist although not so visible anymore. .

Any idea to what this could be? I am using an individually shielded scart cable, but I can also see the effect on other cables I have tried. It is visible in several different games and also shows up on another tv set.

Hope someone can help me out here :-)
unstablewarpfield

Re: PAL Master System 1 vertical lines on black color

In the mean time I measured the voltage coming off the 7805 and that is a neat 4.99 V. I did see that one cable I use has no capacitors and resistors in it. The other cable I have does contain caps, but no resistors. Maybe I´ll add a couple and see what that does. I have no idea if these are required on a PAL system though. We´ll see...
unstablewarpfield

Re: PAL Master System 1 vertical lines on black color

And to close this down... the problem was being caused by no resistors on the rgb lines. That poor little scart connector... it now has 4 caps and 4 resistors crammed inside but it works the way it should now. No more annoying lines :D