My receiver won't output 240p via HDMI

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: My receiver won't output 240p via HDMI

Post by Fudoh »

I tried going composite > iScan Plus > OSSC > TV but the iScan doesn't want to output the NES, among other consoles. Plus, I can't set the iScan output to RGB over component, and the OSSC to input RGB over component and see asignal. Now trying to figure out how to composite > OSSC !!
The Iscan does output RGBHV or YUV (there's a switch on the back to toggle between the two). It's output format is 480p60 or 576p50 depending on your source. You can connect it to the OSSC's VGA input or its component input.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
I tried going composite > iScan Plus > OSSC > TV but the iScan doesn't want to output the NES, among other consoles. Plus, I can't set the iScan output to RGB over component, and the OSSC to input RGB over component and see asignal. Now trying to figure out how to composite > OSSC !!
The Iscan does output RGBHV or YUV (there's a switch on the back to toggle between the two). It's output format is 480p60 or 576p50 depending on your source. You can connect it to the OSSC's VGA input or its component input.
Right, every time I do that, it doesn't work terribly well. I can use a VGA cable between them or iScan component to OSSC, and most devices give a blank screen. I think SEGA consoles and Sony consoles generally work, but nothing from Nintendo. For example, I connect iScan > VGA > OSSC, I set the OSSC to AV3 RGBHV and the iScan has composite video input and RGB output. With the NES powered on, the OSSC says 524p, 31kHz, and 60Hz, but the TV screen is blank. Honestly, with the Sony and Sega consoles, the video will intermittently go black, so they don't working perfectly either. Do these consoles need to be RGB modded? I thought the point of the iScan/OSSC was to avoid doing that.

I'm considering returning to the Pioneer receiver where conversion/scaling was 100% working. Then what do I do with the OSSC? Admittedly, I should have just sprung for the Framemeister, since I didn't realize the OSSC didn't have composite input.
GohanX

Post by GohanX »

Well don't judge the Onkyo too harshly, the TX-NR600 series wasn't designed for and doesn't advertise upscaling capabilities, you need a higher end unit for that. The Onkyos that do upscale actually do a pretty good job, although not as good as a dedicated video processor.

Personally my setup is using an OSSC for all the inputs it uses, and a Faroudja video processor for composite/svideo sources.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:In the end, I ended up buying an OSSC anyway to run everything through. While not necessarily to improve the color/quality, it won't have the lag that my various cheaper converters did. We'll see how it works out once it arrives!
A smart move. I used to own an Onkyo 636 and it's pretty garbage in terms of video scaler/options. The bad news is that the Onkyo didn't like the OSSC either! So I had to run the HDMI directly to the screen, then have the HDMI audio go down back to the reciever through ARC. ARC on the Onkyo can be a bit finicky so good luck!

BTW I have two Denons X4300H, and X6300H that love the OSSC and pass the signals without issue. Food for thought.
What inputs did you have going into the OSSC? Right now I have everything output to composite, but the OSSC only accepts VGA, SCART, or component. I realize the input needs to be RGB, so I guess that's where my issue is. I tried going composite > iScan Plus > OSSC > TV but the iScan doesn't want to output the NES, among other consoles. Plus, I can't set the iScan output to RGB over component, and the OSSC to input RGB over component and see asignal. Now trying to figure out how to composite > OSSC !!
I use Scart(RGB) for my 240p consoles, DE15(VGA) for Dreamcast and Component(YPbPr) for Wii/PS2/Xbox 1. The OSSC going through that Onkyo 636 simply won't pass a signal aside from the "test" grey screen. No Line 3X, Line 4X, or even 5X support. Basically I had to connect the OSSC to the screen in order to get an image.

Out of curiousity why are you bothering with composite? The OSSC allows the best picture from your consoles to HDMI. Composite kind of defeats that don't you think? Could you just use composite straight to your TV? I'm sure it won't look good but it's a far simpler way to make it work and saves you money as console cables aren't cheap.

As I stated before, my Denon receivers from a couple of years ago pass the OSSC Line5X without issues, and they pass Dolby Vision which is a much added bonus.
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For example, I connect iScan > VGA > OSSC, I set the OSSC to AV3 RGBHV and the iScan has composite video input and RGB output. With the NES powered on, the OSSC says 524p, 31kHz, and 60Hz, but the TV screen is blank.
is that going to your receiver or into the TV directly ? Just as a test you can directly connect your NES's composite video output to the Luminance port (Y, green) on the OSSC's component input. You're supposed to get a b/w picture this way. Would be good to get that baseline working at first.
Honestly, with the Sony and Sega consoles, the video will intermittently go black, so they don't working perfectly either. Do these consoles need to be RGB modded? I thought the point of the iScan/OSSC was to avoid doing that.
you're still a bit vague. Your Playstation and MD are going into the iScan through composite or directly into the OSSC using RGB cables ?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
For example, I connect iScan > VGA > OSSC, I set the OSSC to AV3 RGBHV and the iScan has composite video input and RGB output. With the NES powered on, the OSSC says 524p, 31kHz, and 60Hz, but the TV screen is blank.
is that going to your receiver or into the TV directly ? Just as a test you can directly connect your NES's composite video output to the Luminance port (Y, green) on the OSSC's component input. You're supposed to get a b/w picture this way. Would be good to get that baseline working at first.
Honestly, with the Sony and Sega consoles, the video will intermittently go black, so they don't working perfectly either. Do these consoles need to be RGB modded? I thought the point of the iScan/OSSC was to avoid doing that.
you're still a bit vague. Your Playstation and MD are going into the iScan through composite or directly into the OSSC using RGB cables ?
I connected my SNES composite to the Y,G port of the OSSC and then HDMI direct to TV. I definitely see it in black and white, so the OSSC is working.

Sorry for the vaguesness! My PS and MD are going directly into the iScan through composite. Then I connect a VGA cable (or VGA to component) to the OSSC input. Then OSSC HDMI to TV. That causes the black, sometimes flickering screen on those consoles.

I don't have any RGB cables at all, nor are any consoles RGB modded. If that's a requisite for the OSSC, then I probably should have just spent the money on the XRGB. I thought that the OSSC had a composite (yellow) input like the XRGB, but I was wrong!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:Sorry for the vaguesness! My PS and MD are going directly into the iScan through composite. Then I connect a VGA cable (or VGA to component) to the OSSC input. Then OSSC HDMI to TV. That causes the black, sometimes flickering screen on those consoles.
Have you tried flipping the switch on the back of your iScan from RGB to YPbPr?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Sorry for the vaguesness! My PS and MD are going directly into the iScan through composite. Then I connect a VGA cable (or VGA to component) to the OSSC input. Then OSSC HDMI to TV. That causes the black, sometimes flickering screen on those consoles.
Have you tried flipping the switch on the back of your iScan from RGB to YPbPr?
I mentioned before, but I tried all combinations of connections, iScan settings, and OSSC settings.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Honestly, nobody uses composite in 2018 unless strictly needed. Use s-video at the very least.

But since you bought an OSSC, you might as well upgrade to RGB now. The SNES, MD and PS1 support it natively.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

And try that iScan unit on any PC monitor or TV you can find that still has VGA. Definitely sounds as it might be the culprit in your setup.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
I connected my SNES composite to the Y,G port of the OSSC and then HDMI direct to TV. I definitely see it in black and white, so the OSSC is working.

Sorry for the vaguesness! My PS and MD are going directly into the iScan through composite. Then I connect a VGA cable (or VGA to component) to the OSSC input. Then OSSC HDMI to TV. That causes the black, sometimes flickering screen on those consoles.

I don't have any RGB cables at all, nor are any consoles RGB modded. If that's a requisite for the OSSC, then I probably should have just spent the money on the XRGB. I thought that the OSSC had a composite (yellow) input like the XRGB, but I was wrong!
Most of your consoles support rgb natively and is a Tremendous upgrade from composite. I get my cables from retro-access.com and they've been pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Xer Xian wrote:Honestly, nobody uses composite in 2018 unless strictly needed. Use s-video at the very least.
Vaseline aficionados maybe. XD

I do wish I had kept at least one of the sony pro vcrs I had that topped out at composite (with bnc) though.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:And try that iScan unit on any PC monitor or TV you can find that still has VGA. Definitely sounds as it might be the culprit in your setup.
I plugged the Saturn composite into the iScan and then connected it to the VGA input on my TV. With the iScan set to RGB, everything looks and plays great. Then when I connect the OSSC by VGA and HDMI to the TV, it starts to blink. The OSSC is on AV3 RGBHV, as it's the only input that will show video. But it's also showing 523p. Shouldn't the iScan output in 480p or am I missing something else?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
Fudoh wrote:And try that iScan unit on any PC monitor or TV you can find that still has VGA. Definitely sounds as it might be the culprit in your setup.
I plugged the Saturn composite into the iScan and then connected it to the VGA input on my TV. With the iScan set to RGB, everything looks and plays great. Then when I connect the OSSC by VGA and HDMI to the TV, it starts to blink. The OSSC is on AV3 RGBHV, as it's the only input that will show video. But it's also showing 523p. Shouldn't the iScan output in 480p or am I missing something else?
The OSSC should show 525p for 480p sources (525 lines total in an NTSC frame, 480 visible); since it's showing 523p, something is getting cut short, either by the console or the iScan. This means that the OSSC isn't getting a compliant 480p signal, and thus isn't feeding your display a compliant 480p signal.

I assume this works on the VGA input without issue because that input pipeline on your display would be more forgiving than the HDMI one. To my knowledge, HDMI inputs can be very picky; requiring a video signal that has an exact match on resolution to ones that it supports, and requiring a sync signal with a perfect cadence (this sync one is more so a problem with NES/SNES).
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
The OSSC should show 525p for 480p sources (525 lines total in an NTSC frame, 480 visible); since it's showing 523p, something is getting cut short, either by the console or the iScan. This means that the OSSC isn't getting a compliant 480p signal, and thus isn't feeding your display a compliant 480p signal.

I assume this works on the VGA input without issue because that input pipeline on your display would be more forgiving than the HDMI one. To my knowledge, HDMI inputs can be very picky; requiring a video signal that has an exact match on resolution to ones that it supports, and requiring a sync signal with a perfect cadence (this sync one is more so a problem with NES/SNES).
The OSSC only has HDMI output, or DVI with adapter though. I don't know what I can do with 2 devices doing what they are supposed to do, but don't play nice together.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

For now you could just play via your DVDO and use the OSSC when you get RGB cables for your consoles.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:For now you could just play via your DVDO and use the OSSC when you get RGB cables for your consoles.
In essence, that's what I plan on doing. I'll save the OSSC until I can upgrade all my cable, buy SCART switches, etc.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:For now you could just play via your DVDO and use the OSSC when you get RGB cables for your consoles.
In essence, that's what I plan on doing. I'll save the OSSC until I can upgrade all my cable, buy SCART switches, etc.
A wise decision! I hope it all goes well and I went through the same journey over a year ago. Well worth the investment.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

In the meantime (until I go full SCART) I bought a used iScan HD+. How can I get this thing to output, I only see a purple screen? I don't have a remote for the iScan, but I can press the face buttons and I have a manual. Unfortunately, anything I put into it, I don't have video. I'm trying to input through the composite input, and when I do this, it autoselects, so I know it's getting input. I have also selected the DVI output, which converts to HDMI and goes directly through to my TV. I've tried Dreamcast, PS2, SNES, and TG-16, none of which will display. Is there something glaring I'm missing?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The screen is tinted, but you get a signal, or it's just that color and nothing else ? Do you get the on screen menu when hitting the menu button ?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:The screen is tinted, but you get a signal, or it's just that color and nothing else ? Do you get the on screen menu when hitting the menu button ?
If I start from scratch and turn on the iScan, I can get the menu by pressing buttons. Whenever I try to display anything, nothing shows. It's not images tinted a certain color. It's a blank purple screen. I thought it might have been the Onkyo again, which is why I went directly to the Samsung TV, to a different HDMI input. The Amazon composite-HDMI converter will work well in it's place, strange that whatever settings my iScan have are not displaying. I wonder if there's a way to factory reset the HD+?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I wonder if there's a way to factory reset the HD+?
unplug the PSU from the from the back of the machine, hold "Enter/Exit' and 'On/Remote Standby" and plug in the PSU while doing so.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
I wonder if there's a way to factory reset the HD+?
unplug the PSU from the from the back of the machine, hold "Enter/Exit' and 'On/Remote Standby" and plug in the PSU while doing so.
Cheers, that did it, video came up immediately. Now to figure out how to integrate the HD+ with the OSSC.

Consequently, I'm going to contemplate SCART cables and RGB mods for each system soon. I've read RetroRGB, and have my TG-16 with the TGCD system. RetroRGB explains how to get RGB out for the 16, but no mention of the CD. Apparently you can't use the CD/hub unit in the back because you need access to the expansion port. So how do you get RGB from the TGCD?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Apparently you can't use the CD/hub unit in the back because you need access to the expansion port. So how do you get RGB from the TGCD?
you just have to put your RGB output somwhere it doesn't interfere with the physical CD add-on.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:
Apparently you can't use the CD/hub unit in the back because you need access to the expansion port. So how do you get RGB from the TGCD?
you just have to put your RGB output somwhere it doesn't interfere with the physical CD add-on.
Doesn't the RGB mod for TG16 require access to the expansion port though? How can you access the port and have the CD installed simultaneously?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

An internal mod taps the expansion at the bottom of the PCB. You can still fully use expansion port otherwise.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Fudoh wrote:An internal mod taps the expansion at the bottom of the PCB. You can still fully use expansion port otherwise.
So I would need to solder something like this onto the board, then it will output RGB and I can still use TGCD?
http://voultar.com/index.php?route=prod ... duct_id=53
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

exactly.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

So all my systems are now RGB outputting to:

SCART switches > OSSC > Pioneer Receiever (HDMI) > Samsung Plasma

Everything looks amazing! I still have this silly iScan HD+ that I was told should be in there somewhere, but I don't know how/where. Would it go after or before the OSSC, and how to connect, DVI-HDMI cables?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If your sources all offer RGB you don't need it ahead of the OSSC and if your TV works with all output resolutions you want to use from the OSSC than you don't need it after the OSSC either.