OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
marqs

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by marqs »

The wikipage is now up-to-date with v0.81 firmware. A list of people contributing to the project over the years have been added on repo as well since it has been far too long buried in my hard drive. Thanks for everyone involved!

One small thing that may get overlooked on the new fw is the FPGA-based cycle counter for frame. The value is shown in bottom-right corner of infoscreen, and it can be used to get more accurate (than main screen) number for source refresh rate via dividing 27000000 by it. If 'INFO' is pressed repeatedly, raw value variantion can also reveal NES/SNES 240p jitter as nominal sources only vary between 2 consecutive numbers.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Huh, my SNES (1-CHIP) seems completely stable.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Thomago wrote:Huh, my SNES (1-CHIP) seems completely stable.
At 60Hz? 50Hz doesn't have jitter.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Yes, 60 Hz.

EDIT:

Oh, wait - I didn't read the "repeatedly" in marqs' post and therefore was under the impression that the value changes dynamically. There is variation present and therefore jitter!
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

Finally received my OSSC here in Brazil after a month in the mail and R$580 in custom taxes.

First thing I wanted to try was the SNES because that's the major problem with the OSSC.
According to the compatibility list my TV a Sony XBR-65X905E (same US model x900E) should not work with 3x, 4x and 5x.

Well, it does not work with 1x, 2x and 3x. But it works with a few drops in 4x and perfectly at 5x. The TV shows 1920x1080 when using 5x and the picture fills the entire screen (from top to bottom not wide)
I'm passing the OSSC through my receiver, a Denon x4200 and going into HDMI 3 of the TV with high bandwidth settings for 4K at 60hz without chroma subsampling at 4:4:4 or RGB Full because I use this receiver with my PC. This is also the HDMI Arc port.

The only thing that happens is that when using this way the TV just let me zoom with the normal preset.
This is ok, and I get black borders but I think the image is a little bit too wide, not sure if I have my proportions wrong for 4:3 but it should be a little bit more skinny than it is.

When I press zoom on the remote of the OSSC nothing happens. So I believe the OSSC can't zoom in and out because it doesn't have a frame buffer.

I haven't tweak anything, haven't updated my firmware just hooked my SNES 1-Chip modded for C-Sync only (it outputs c-sync in both pins, no composite here so every cable will use c-sync, with the brightness fix resistors (can't remember the number of it), the 78s05 mod for the vertical line and the 470pf smd resistor mod for the traces. The cable is the official JP21 nintendo cable that I modded with a 780?R (can't remember) for proper analogue sync. I believe this was recommended by Voultar somewhere.
If I remember this correctly the sync level on the SNES is TTL and you need a resistor in line to fix it and this becomes a regular analogue sync.

So, question is, am I doing something wrong here?
Because 5x shouldn't work.
Also, is there any benefit outputting at 1200p over 1080p?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Because 5x shouldn't work.
that might be your receiver's work. The behaviour might change when you run the OSSC directly into the TV.
Also, is there any benefit outputting at 1200p over 1080p?
when the display actually knows 1200p, then you won't lose anything to the overscan compared to 1080p.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

I don't want to get anyone's hope up but according to the compatibility list this tv should not support the SNES.

I just updated my OSSC to .081.
My receiver is in pass through mode.
Tested lag with the 240p test suite and got 20 to 30ms which is the same Rtings claims on the review of this tv set.
I'm also using 1920x1200 right now at line 5x. Which my tv can use a function named Full 1 and just expands the image to fill the screen top to bottom. The aspect ratio is much closer to what I would expect from a 4:3 content.

I haven't tweaked anything else even the wiki claiming I should change this:
H-PLL pre-coast: 1
H-PLL post-coast: 0

So the point is, I believe my receiver is fixing the snes sync somehow.
If anyone wants to try to compare my receiver is a Denon Avr-x4300h.
Zepherino

Post by Zepherino »

Out of curiosity, was there ever a simple guide or diagram of how to wire up a photo resistor onto the OSSC for latency testing? I saw the explanation at http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... ncy_tester but I'm not 100% sure on what needs to be done based on those instructions, and I don't want to accidentally get it wrong and short something. I did see a solution that citrus3000psi posted a while back that was nicely executed, but that also did not have enough information that I could glean from to try and make the latency tester.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Can the lagtester be used with 480i output from the OSSC? To measure the lag caused by the TV's deinterlacing when using 480i passthrough.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I really need to come up with some solution so people can buy lag tester add ons. With everything else at the moment it got kinda buried so I'll have to revisit it see what I can come up with.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
foxmolduga

Post by foxmolduga »

I’ll try the official forum.
Last edited by foxmolduga on Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

BuckoA51 wrote:I really need to come up with some solution so people can buy lag tester add ons. With everything else at the moment it got kinda buried so I'll have to revisit it see what I can come up with.

paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Konsolkongen wrote:Can the lagtester be used with 480i output from the OSSC? To measure the lag caused by the TV's deinterlacing when using 480i passthrough.
Yes this works. I got 26ms with my Sony TV with 480i. With 480p it's 10ms so it adds 1 frame.
Last edited by paulb_nl on Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I'm asking about 480i specifically, not progressive scan :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I did not read your reply right. Sorry :D Thanks for the help :)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Ok Citrus let's talk about this on e-mail lol
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Any chance the D-sub port could be used as an output through a firmware update? Asked this question before but haven't got a satisfying answer. I still have a nice Iiyama monitor. Lag free, high res gaming with probably every output mode working. :)
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

No chance. That would need more than a firmware update - it would need other hardware.
muggsy

Post by muggsy »

H6rdc0re wrote:Any chance the D-sub port could be used as an output through a firmware update? Asked this question before but haven't got a satisfying answer. I still have a nice Iiyama monitor. Lag free, high res gaming with probably every output mode working. :)
There is a thread on Shmups with reviews of HDMI-VGA adaptors. I went and brought a Tendak adaptor from amazon (although I haven't had time to test it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Thanks again to Marqs and everyone else involved. The new firmware - with all the substantial changes and fixes it introduced (thank you soooo much for taking the time to even sort that H. Mask bug out, guys) and the FBX profiles - made my LineX2 setup finally perfect. Pics soon, just to share the results with the community. :)

Now, hope you don't mind me asking for something else: anyone here had the chance to dial in profiles for PAL Game Cube, original XBOX and PS2, for 480i/576i sources, at 50 and 60hz? I'm getting a bit lost, with games that run fullscreen, others that seem letterboxed, on top of default V. active areas that make scanlines look odd at 50hz.

Thank in advance. ^_-

Edit - I'm aware hacks and softmods exist, in order to force 480p on PAL machines/games, but I still want to use my original discs, plus I really like the look of 480i/576i bob-deinterlaced with scanlines.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

Galdelico wrote:and the FBX profiles
I'm new to the OSSC but am I blind somehow or I can't find FBX profiles for anything else than the XRGB mini?
I would love some profiles from him to use with the SNES. Right now I watch his youtube videos and copy his instructions.

And I know this may be a little bit noobish to ask on this forum but...
When I press save profile on the OSSC, even without mSD card inserted it claims it's saved.
So I was hopping it would save profiles internally, can those profiles be saved into the mSD card?
And loaded from it?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

There are no profiles per se, but FBX has contributed more in depth analysis of optimal sample rates for various systems recently.

Profiles cannot be stored to or copied from SD card, unfortunately. There is a thread on this topic in the Feature Request subsection of vgp forums.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

Harrumph wrote:There are no profiles per se, but FBX has contributed more in depth analysis of optimal sample rates for various systems recently.

Profiles cannot be stored to or copied from SD card, unfortunately. There is a thread on this topic in the Feature Request subsection of vgp forums.
Oh ok, thank you, so was understand it properly.
I'll keep using his videos as a guide, which are awesome and very informative.

The camera pointing at the OSSC screen while explaining everything was a nice addition compared to his previews videos.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Working on a new video project as we speak. It's a biggun' in that it covers Genesis 320, 256, and Master System. It will also feature sound output from my new prototype line level stereo audio amp board for the model 1 Genesis, where it further improves the quality and clarity of the sound above and beyond the headphone jack.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

fandangos wrote:I'm new to the OSSC but am I blind somehow or I can't find FBX profiles for anything else than the XRGB mini?
I would love some profiles from him to use with the SNES. Right now I watch his youtube videos and copy his instructions.
Yeah, I didn't phrase it correctly. As Harrumph said, it's his in depth analysis work that I was referring to, even though he also provided quite specific instructions to fine tune the Saturn and its different video modes.
FBX wrote:Working on a new video project as we speak. It's a biggun' in that it covers Genesis 320, 256, and Master System. It will also feature sound output from my new prototype line level stereo audio amp board for the model 1 Genesis, where it further improves the quality and clarity of the sound above and beyond the headphone jack.
Awesome, thank you. That's exactly what I was waiting for, in order to compare my results to, especially for the MD 256.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Can somebody please ad jic firmware files for version 81 on the download links? I am absolutely FED UP with "invalid data CRC" errors every time I try to update the firmware on my OSSC using a microSD card. It should'nt be this frikken hard!

Edit: Discovered a stupid fix: Make the win32 disk image writer write the bin file TWICE to the card in a row. That made it work.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Here's the new OSSC video as promised! Only a minor glitch happened with my ADC deck randomly dropping the audio to line 2 from a dirty toggle switch contact, but thankfully it only messes with about 20 seconds of the video:

https://youtu.be/1HkBblIhuXw

Note: I will be taking care of that dirty toggle switch issue to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm also not entirely sold on the lapel mic. It seems to be better suited as a headset mic with an arm holding it in front of the mouth. When I turned my head, the clarity of my voice changed a bit too much for my liking.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Does AV3 of the latest OSSC expect TTL sync? Does it not work with 75R sync?

I made a scart to VGA adapter and cannot get my NES, SNES or N64 to sync to the OSSC AV3 RGBS with it.

But I f I link it through an Extron matrix that has a sync buffer it syncs fine for the NES, jail bars for the SNES and wavy interference for the N64.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:Does AV3 of the latest OSSC expect TTL sync? Does it not work with 75R sync?

I made a scart to VGA adapter and cannot get my NES, SNES or N64 to sync to the OSSC AV3 RGBS with it.

But I f I link it through an Extron matrix that has a sync buffer it syncs fine for the NES, jail bars for the SNES and wavy interference for the N64.
Yes, TTL sync is required for AV3. Per the AV3 (VGA) section on the OSSC wiki:
RGBHV and RGBS modes require clean TTL-level sync signals and cannot extract sync from composite video or luma.
Also, considering this recommendation immediately afterward (emphasis mine):
AV3 is best suited for high-quality input sources as video LPF functionality is limited (the AV1 and AV2 inputs are routed through a dedicated LPF chip). Therefore, it is generally recommended to connect older consoles and arcade boards to these other inputs.
Why route NES, SNES, and N64 through AV3, when AV1 is better-suited and recommended for these consoles, and doesn't require a SCART->VGA adapter, since it itself is a SCART input?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Thankyou very much for the all the details :)

Explains why I was having so many issues.

I was testing using av3 because I'm trying to route all my systems via an Extron Vga matrix.

Was thinking I'd use av3 and get everything done between RGBHV and RGBs but I guess not.
ShadowofBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Syntax wrote:Thankyou very much for the all the details :)

Explains why I was having so many issues.

I was testing using av3 because I'm trying to route all my systems via an Extron Vga matrix.

Was thinking I'd use av3 and get everything done between RGBHV and RGBs but I guess not.
I have the same setup and ended up having a DSUB-DSUB, DSUB-SCART(w/ 470Ω resistor to bring down TTL output of MVX for Scart input), and DSUB-YPbPr outputs all going into the OSSC. YPbPr was a bit redundant but with the recent profile mapping it actually is nice to have different profiles for each input load up automatically.