The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by maxtherabbit »

+1 switch, T connectors would probably give you some current leakage
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I use unpowered component switches with rca to bnc adapters and component cables. If you can find one with a composite video channel that can be used for the sync line.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Assuming your PVM can take 75Ohm sync, and you're okay with automatic switching, and it's within your budget, you should be able to mix RGB and YPbPr sources with a combination of a gscartsw and a gcompsw, and then all you need to do is turn on the console you want to play and toggle input format and/or external sync when needed.

You'd have to connect the output of the gscartsw to an input on the gcompsw using a SCART to 4xRCA adapter, matching on color (So R to Pr, G to Y, B to Pb), with sync to composite video, then left and right audio as appropriate. You'd then need to connect the output of the gcompsw to your PVM using RCA to BNC cables (or BNC cables with male RCA to female BNC adapters), again, matching on color, with composite video connected to sync.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Can the OSSC take both a Japanese Scart and a PS2 component cable?

If not what is the best solution here?

Many thanks.

TS.
NUeda

Post by NUeda »

Can someone using recent generation (6th ~ 8th) of Intel Core iGPU tell me if it can handle MAME HLSL smoothly at 1440x1080 ? Thanks.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Tigershark wrote:Can the OSSC take both a Japanese Scart and a PS2 component cable?

Many thanks.

TS.
There is no Japanese SCART per se; SCART is inherently European (specifically French, I believe). If you mean to say JP-21, no; the OSSC is not compatible with JP-21 sources, and you risk damaging the OSSC, your console, or both by connecting them.

That said, you can have any combination of the inputs connected at the same time, regardless of the sources, to the OSSC at the same time and be able to switch between the them using either the remote or button 0. (I think it's 0, anyway.)

What is it specifically that you're trying to accomplish?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Tigershark wrote:Can the OSSC take both a Japanese Scart and a PS2 component cable?

Many thanks.

TS.
Here's a possible solution to convert a single JP21 source into a single Euroscart output:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... t-adapter/

That cable is from the same guy that sells the OSSC. That's a safe and dependable choice.

Just for clarity and safety:
You couldn't just plug that cable in the OSSC and leave it there for everything.

You would never feed a EuroSCART input into that "JP21 to SCART" converter cable. That cable would be specifically for converting JP21 to SCART (aka EuroSCART).

If you need to mix JP21 and EuroSCART, you'll need multiple adapters or multiple switches.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I need to merge DVI-I (1080p video) + Stereo audio (via left/right RCA or 3.5mm minijack even), and have it go to HDMI (for my new flatscreen 4K TV which only has HDMI inputs). The last one I bought off Monoprice a couple years ago is absolute garbage (shifted, muted/washed-out colors and contrast). What's the best way to go about doing this? Video may be at TTL levels if that matters.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Dochartaigh wrote:I need to merge DVI-I (1080p video) + Stereo audio (via left/right RCA or 3.5mm minijack even), and have it go to HDMI (for my new flatscreen 4K TV which only has HDMI inputs). The last one I bought off Monoprice a couple years ago is absolute garbage (shifted, muted/washed-out colors and contrast). What's the best way to go about doing this? Video may be at TTL levels if that matters.
I use a Kramer FC-49 unit. It does a good job without damaging the signal.

I have no idea what the "best" way of doing it is.

No doubt, there's more expensive units that will add high end multichannel audio and support newer HDMI standards (and features).

You can also just route the audio separately.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote:I use a Kramer FC-49 unit. It does a good job without damaging the signal.
I was just researching that after I couldn't find one made by Extron. Thanks for letting me know if does a good job - some on ebay for around $50-60.

Oh, wanted to ask, will there be any problem on the new 4K TV's with using something like this? Going to get one of those new TCL's and I'm not up to date on the different flavors of HDMI they're using now (1.0, 2.0, ARC, etc.).
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

nmalinoski wrote:

Many thanks.

TS.
There is no Japanese SCART per se; SCART is inherently European (specifically French, I believe). If you mean to say JP-21, no; the OSSC is not compatible with JP-21 sources, and you risk damaging the OSSC, your console, or both by connecting them.

That said, you can have any combination of the inputs connected at the same time, regardless of the sources, to the OSSC at the same time and be able to switch between the them using either the remote or button 0. (I think it's 0, anyway.)

Thanks. It appears my original post may have been slightly misleading. I have a Japanese SS and PS2. I currently connect the SS to a Sony European CRT via a scart cable. I assume therefore the scart is European based on your post. What I want to do is run everything through my old Pioneer LCD HD TV. I intend to do so through the OSSC which is why I asked whether I can run the Scart through the OSSC at the same time as the PS2 component? Apologies for any confusion.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Tigershark wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Many thanks.

TS.

Thanks. It appears my original post may have been slightly misleading. I have a Japanese SS and PS2. I currently connect the SS to a Sony European CRT via a scart cable. I assume therefore the scart is European based on your post. What I want to do is run everything through my old Pioneer LCD HD TV. I intend to do so through the OSSC which is why I asked whether I can run the Scart through the OSSC at the same time as the PS2 component? Apologies for any confusion.
Yes you can, just switch between AV1 and AV2 on the OSSC with the remote or the button
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
orange808 wrote:I use a Kramer FC-49 unit. It does a good job without damaging the signal.
I was just researching that after I couldn't find one made by Extron. Thanks for letting me know if does a good job - some on ebay for around $50-60.

Oh, wanted to ask, will there be any problem on the new 4K TV's with using something like this? Going to get one of those new TCL's and I'm not up to date on the different flavors of HDMI they're using now (1.0, 2.0, ARC, etc.).
You'll have to test it out to be absolutely certain, but it "should" work.

With HDMI, I never feel 100% confident anymore.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Hi everyone!

I have a Extron Crosspoint 300 8x4 switcher with ADSP, and recently ordered a Crosspoint Series Switcher that don't have the ADSP feature.

While waiting for the delivery, I wonder which one is a better unit? Having the ADSP feature will make a significant differance? Which unit would You prefer to use?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Namingway_PL wrote:While waiting for the delivery, I wonder which one is a better unit? Having the ADSP feature will make a significant differance? Which unit would You prefer to use?
Having ADSP usually (but not always) means it's a newer switcher and I like using newer electronics especially when many of these are 20+ years old at this point (just less chance of problems)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Namingway_PL wrote:Hi everyone!

I have a Extron Crosspoint 300 8x4 switcher with ADSP, and recently ordered a Crosspoint Series Switcher that don't have the ADSP feature.

While waiting for the delivery, I wonder which one is a better unit? Having the ADSP feature will make a significant differance? Which unit would You prefer to use?
ADSP sync voltage is too high for some of our gear. You'll need to manage that.

Read here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60283
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote:ADSP sync voltage is too high for some of our gear. You'll need to manage that.

Read here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60283
Even more here: https://www.snailtoothgaming.com/articl ... nc-output/

But in a nutshell a 470Ω resistor on the sync line should do it if it runs to devices like the OSSC, FM, or Shinybow SB-2840 (this is a common device people use to convert RGB to YPbPr for their consumer CRT TV's).

**EDIT** to the below: seems like VGA is safe, and Component isn't an amplified signal since it doesn't use the sync lines. Can anybody confirm that's correct?
Does anybody know if this needs to be done on YPbPr/Component coming off the Crosspoint? I've read that standards for YPbPr are different than RGBS and I have that Shinybow SB-2840 I mentioned above looped back into my Crosspoint switcher, so the YPbPr coming off the Crosspoint to my consumer CRT TV is going to be that higher TTL ~5vp-p as well I would think. OR, is it only the Sync line on the Crosspoint which jacks up the signal to that ~5vp-p level so on YPbPr which doesn't use the sync line it's fine?

Also curious about VGA devices taking RGBHV from the Crosspoint. Always thought those were fine with the higher 5vp-p as well but better safe than sorry so I wanted to ask... (I have a bunch of Corio 2's hooked up, an Audio Authority 9A65 --YPbPr to RGBS-- converter, etc. -- I'm assuming my Extron RGB's are fine since they're Extron).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:**EDIT** to the below: seems like VGA is safe, and Component isn't an amplified signal since it doesn't use the sync lines. Can anybody confirm that's correct?
Does anybody know if this needs to be done on YPbPr/Component coming off the Crosspoint? I've read that standards for YPbPr are different than RGBS and I have that Shinybow SB-2840 I mentioned above looped back into my Crosspoint switcher, so the YPbPr coming off the Crosspoint to my consumer CRT TV is going to be that higher TTL ~5vp-p as well I would think. OR, is it only the Sync line on the Crosspoint which jacks up the signal to that ~5vp-p level so on YPbPr which doesn't use the sync line it's fine?

Also curious about VGA devices taking RGBHV from the Crosspoint. Always thought those were fine with the higher 5vp-p as well but better safe than sorry so I wanted to ask... (I have a bunch of Corio 2's hooked up, an Audio Authority 9A65 --YPbPr to RGBS-- converter, etc. -- I'm assuming my Extron RGB's are fine since they're Extron).
Through ownership of a CrossPoint Ultra 88, I can confirm that, basically, you only need to worry about 5Vp-p TTL sync damaging your equipment if you're trying to get RGBS out your CrossPoint.

As I understand it, the R, G, and B lines are all 75Ohm, 1Vp-p; so, when you're switching composite, S-Video, or component (be it YPbPr or RGsB), you're not using any of the sync lines to begin with; and, when you're using RGBHV (VGA), TTL sync is expected by your downstream devices.

When you're getting RGBS out of your CrossPoint, however, that composite sync signal is 510Ohm, 5Vp-p, just like with RGBHV; and consumer RGBS applications, like SCART, are generally designed for 75Ohm, 1Vp-p sync signals; so, you would need to attenuate the sync signal of any RGBS output from the CrossPoint in order to make it safe for consumer equipment. (The exception probably being if you're running RGBS output directly into another Extron device, like another CrossPoint) that can handle the 510Ohm, 5Vp-p composite sync signal.)
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Thanks for all the replies!

I don't have a Framemeister or the OSSC, and I use my Crosspoint with CRT RGB monitors, so I have nothing to worry about :) If I ever buy a Framemeister, I will make sure to have proper cables.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote:You'll have to test it out to be absolutely certain, but it "should" work.
nmalinoski wrote:you only need to worry about 5Vp-p TTL sync damaging your equipment if you're trying to get RGBS out your CrossPoint.
Thank you, and thank you gents.

Another question: I've never used DVI for much of anything before. How do the DVI breakout cables (to BNC connectors) work? I need to go from DVI to BNC. Can I use the same 5x BNC breakout cable for RGBHV, RGBS, and YPbPr? Or is it device dependent?

Are the different brands pretty much universal? As in the same pins for Red are used on them all, same for Green, etc. Right now only the Polycom DVI to 5x BNC ones are available on eBay (there's others, but I need to order five of them at once). Just making sure the brand of break-out doesn't matter (would love all Extron's, or Kramer, or TVOne brands but those just aren't available).

I can also buy StarTech VGA to DVI adapter dongles from Amazon for $6/each then use my existing VGA to BNC breakouts but figure that might be a bit much as each cable will then be three parts.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can I use the same 5x BNC breakout cable for RGBHV, RGBS, and YPbPr?
yes, you can, although technically RGBs is likely no specified anywhere in the DVI-I specs.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Dochartaigh wrote:Right now only the Polycom DVI to 5x BNC ones are available on eBay (there's others, but I need to order five of them at once). Just making sure the brand of break-out doesn't matter (would love all Extron's, or Kramer, or TVOne brands but those just aren't available).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KRAMER-VGA-BNC ... SwZqZaJ~9s

But first tell the seller that it's a proper DVI to BNC cable that you're after. I've bought from him and he doesn't seem to know much about the cables he sells.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Fudoh wrote:
Can I use the same 5x BNC breakout cable for RGBHV, RGBS, and YPbPr?
yes, you can, although technically RGBs is likely no specified anywhere in the DVI-I specs.
Thanks.

Xer Xian wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:Right now only the Polycom DVI to 5x BNC ones are available on eBay (there's others, but I need to order five of them at once). Just making sure the brand of break-out doesn't matter (would love all Extron's, or Kramer, or TVOne brands but those just aren't available).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KRAMER-VGA-BNC ... SwZqZaJ~9s

But first tell the seller that it's a proper DVI to BNC cable that you're after. I've bought from him and he doesn't seem to know much about the cables he sells.
I decided to go with regular DVI to VGA adapter dongles off Amazon. Everything after that is Extron so it should still carry a good signal. This also lets me keep my 3' length cables (everything else seemed to be 6'+ ~2meters) so I don't have to wrap up with zip ties 5x more cables to add to my beehive, and the Extron cables are always long enough to go from Red to V Sync left/right on my 32x32 Crosspoint (no other brand I've tried reaches and I have to use extension cables).
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Any recommendations for a VGA splitter? Asking for a friend as he needs 2 outputs for his Dreamcast Kuro + to record.

Extron Crosspoint seems a little bulky for what he wants. Would one of Extrons VGA switchers be good? it would need to have audio as well.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:Extron Crosspoint seems a little bulky for what he wants. Would one of Extrons VGA switchers be good? it would need to have audio as well.
The matrix VGA switchers should work fine. The regular Extron VGA switchers normally only have one output; the ones with two outputs, the 8- and 12-port ones, are very hard to find.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ross wrote:Looking to buy a SCART cable for the Wii.

With sync-on-composite being the only option, do I need to pay extra for RGC's PACKAPUNCH cable, or would I be safe with their regular option?
I'd go for the coax option. IMO all video cables should be coax but especially so when using CVBS as sync
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

it took some time but yesterday i was finally ready to order a better Rgb Scart cable for my NTSC Japan Saturn. As recommended here in the thread i wanted to get a Retro gaming uk RGB cable. But according their Websites cables are not in stock at the Moment.

So either have to wait or get an alternative. I found out the cables from the polish eBay seller to Foe are also very nice.

Would you guys consider the cables from the Foe as a equal alternative to the Retro gaming cables stuff or would it be better to wait till the Retro gaming cables uk Saturn cable is is back on sale again?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Is it ok to replace the Electrolytic caps in scart leads with Tantlums?

I'm finding it hard to find space for electros is all.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Syntax wrote:Is it ok to replace the Electrolytic caps in scart leads with Tantlums?

I'm finding it hard to find space for electros is all.
I have tantalums in my GCDual component cable. Not sure if this would apply in all cases
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
Star1

Post by Star1 »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:it took some time but yesterday i was finally ready to order a better Rgb Scart cable for my NTSC Japan Saturn. As recommended here in the thread i wanted to get a Retro gaming uk RGB cable. But according their Websites cables are not in stock at the Moment.

So either have to wait or get an alternative. I found out the cables from the polish eBay seller to Foe are also very nice.

Would you guys consider the cables from the Foe as a equal alternative to the Retro gaming cables stuff or would it be better to wait till the Retro gaming cables uk Saturn cable is is back on sale again?
For what it's worth, I've had both. I got one from TheFoo, but it broke due to me messing around to get c-sync from it (opening the connector without issues was difficult). Now I have one from RGC. I didn't do any A-B comparison, but both seem to work very well.