gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wolf_

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Wolf_ »

austin532 wrote:I would personally love an 8 input gcompsw for my setup but if you think 4 or 6 inputs is enough then I guess that's fine as well. So far the systems that I have component for are:

NES
SNES
Dreamcast (Hopefully Soon???)
PS1
PS2
GC
XBOX
Wii
Seconded, I also have 8 comp inputs:
Genesis
Saturn
PS1
PS2
PSP Go
Xbox
Wii
TurboGrafx (Via SSD3 + HDR cables)
snatcher123

Post by snatcher123 »

superg wrote:Sorry guys I've just found out that somehow I wasn't getting new post notifications by email.

Here is the update: I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support. I've ordered a few prototype units which hopefully will arrive next week. After that I'm planning to reiterate gcompsw, align the design with newest gscartsw and maybe implement a dual output. Also I'm unsure whether to change input ports number.
That sounds very promising. Will the new design again incorporate audio out in the form of a headphone jack or RCA? I really liked that in the original design of the switch as it made cabling a lot easier. Regardless, I am really excited by the news. Thanks superg
superg

Post by superg »

snatcher123 wrote: That sounds very promising. Will the new design again incorporate audio out in the form of a headphone jack or RCA? I really liked that in the original design of the switch as it made cabling a lot easier. Regardless, I am really excited by the news. Thanks superg
No plans for that, you can always use SCART audio breakout adapter.
morfeo

Post by morfeo »

Awesome news about the protection for supergun-damage, definitely ordering one of these when they come for sale!
Shinjo Yoshida

Post by Shinjo Yoshida »

superg wrote:Sorry guys I've just found out that somehow I wasn't getting new post notifications by email.

Here is the update: I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support. I've ordered a few prototype units which hopefully will arrive next week. After that I'm planning to reiterate gcompsw, align the design with newest gscartsw and maybe implement a dual output. Also I'm unsure whether to change input ports number.
superg, thanks for taking a look at possible revisions to the gcompsw, I don't have one yet, but I eagerly await the next batch of switches. Also, I'm throwing my hat in with the more inputs crowd. Whatever the case may be, I'll still be ordering one when available. :D
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

great news on the sync on green compatibility of the next revision. can't wait.
beast1x5

Post by beast1x5 »

Oh yeah count me in superG
Gara

Post by Gara »

Very exciting. I was planning on a shinybow component switcher for multiple outputs but I'll hold off till I hear more. Also excited for sync on green support. Bummer I'll have to sell my old one. I'll do some thinking on future plans but 8 has been plenty thus far.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Gara wrote:Very exciting. I was planning on a shinybow component switcher for multiple outputs but I'll hold off till I hear more. Also excited for sync on green support. Bummer I'll have to sell my old one. I'll do some thinking on future plans but 8 has been plenty thus far.
I really wanted one of the SB-5526 units, but the lack of automatic switching and the outrageous price (mostly the price) have put me off.
haightc

Post by haightc »

I might might like a standalone sync re-builder myself I some scart switchers, along with VGA and BNC switchs. I would really like something correct sync automatically and could output c-sync or HV sync and could work as a stand alone module.
Ryan N

Post by Ryan N »

Registered just to say that I'd love an eight-input gcompsw (or just a larger one in general). With HD Retrovision's latest cables, I'm a few short with the current model (PS1, PS2, PSPGo, Wii, NeoGeo CD, Sega Saturn, Genesis, Duo-R).
Wolf_ wrote:
Seconded, I also have 8 comp inputs:
Genesis
Saturn
PS1
PS2
PSP Go
Xbox
Wii
TurboGrafx (Via SSD3 + HDR cables)
TorgoPSN

Post by TorgoPSN »

Now that I've got the OSSC going and cables for a bunch of my consoles, getting one of these bad boys is my final step, and these revisions sound great! I too am not getting email notifications, so I need to try to get that fixed today.
RdCrestdBreegull

Post by RdCrestdBreegull »

superg wrote:After that I'm planning to reiterate gcompsw, align the design with newest gscartsw and maybe implement a dual output. Also I'm unsure whether to change input ports number.
I know this is a longshot but I’d thought I’d mention... Would it be at all possible in any future iterations of the gcompsw to add toslink inputs/outputs alongside the RCA inputs/outputs? I currently have a huge AVR in my setup *just* for toslink (for my Blu-ray/VHS combo player, PS2, and Xbox; plus I know people use it for SNES and even possibly N64, GameCube, etc). If toslink inputs/outputs are added, we can run a single toslink from the gcompsw into any DAC and then into any audio amplifier, without having to have a massive AVR (with a single analog audio cable running from the gscartsw and/or gcompsw into the amp as well). I know it’s an entirely different connector type, and it’s digital rather than analog, but I just thought I’d throw it out there since I can’t see myself using anything other than toslink for the systems on which it is available.

Also I am very excited at hearing the possibility of more inputs! :) My current setup only includes four YPbPr component systems (Blu-ray/VHS combo, Xbox, PS2, GameCube), but in the future I might want to add Wii and Wii U :)
superg

Post by superg »

RdCrestdBreegull wrote:
superg wrote:After that I'm planning to reiterate gcompsw, align the design with newest gscartsw and maybe implement a dual output. Also I'm unsure whether to change input ports number.
I know this is a longshot but I’d thought I’d mention... Would it be at all possible in any future iterations of the gcompsw to add toslink inputs/outputs alongside the RCA inputs/outputs? I currently have a huge AVR in my setup *just* for toslink (for my Blu-ray/VHS combo player, PS2, and Xbox; plus I know people use it for SNES and even possibly N64, GameCube, etc). If toslink inputs/outputs are added, we can run a single toslink from the gcompsw into any DAC and then into any audio amplifier, without having to have a massive AVR (with a single analog audio cable running from the gscartsw and/or gcompsw into the amp as well). I know it’s an entirely different connector type, and it’s digital rather than analog, but I just thought I’d throw it out there since I can’t see myself using anything other than toslink for the systems on which it is available.
I've seen somebody had a custom automatic toslink switch, small neat box with 4+ inputs, don't remember exactly. Toslink would be a problem for me because digital sound requires different multiplexer chips and everything is different there. Second problem is connector sourcing, Ideally I would love to have low profile 0 degree RCA connectors and this is already an issue, if I'd add toslink into equation, I won't be able to find the exact connectors and the only solution is to come up with custom design, which I think is not feasible at this point.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

superg wrote:
RdCrestdBreegull wrote:
I've seen somebody had a custom automatic toslink switch, small neat box with 4+ inputs, don't remember exactly. Toslink would be a problem for me because digital sound requires different multiplexer chips and everything is different there. Second problem is connector sourcing, Ideally I would love to have low profile 0 degree RCA connectors and this is already an issue, if I'd add toslink into equation, I won't be able to find the exact connectors and the only solution is to come up with custom design, which I think is not feasible at this point.
There is an open source one that Unseen talked about, I am in the process of building a few here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62408

The board is from a german forum here: https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.ph ... schaltung/

I compiled all of the information you need to build it here: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/AaaZmruL
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
superg

Post by superg »

arithmaldor wrote:
There is an open source one that Unseen talked about, I am in the process of building a few here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62408

The board is from a german forum here: https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.ph ... schaltung/

I compiled all of the information you need to build it here: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/AaaZmruL
Not sure if it was this one because the one I've seen looked like a final product and it was cased, was a bit pricey, $200+.
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

SuperG,

I realize you're still in the re-design process with both of these products, but are you leaning a particular way in regards to changing the number of gcompsw inputs at the moment?
superg

Post by superg »

mj23kb08 wrote:SuperG,

I realize you're still in the re-design process with both of these products, but are you leaning a particular way in regards to changing the number of gcompsw inputs at the moment?
It's either 4:2 or 8:2.
TorgoPSN

Post by TorgoPSN »

superg wrote:

8:2 please. 4 isn't enough for what I have.
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote:

So you're changing the number of outputs regardless, but as far as inputs go, you're either adding none or adding four more? I would LOVE an 8 input gcompsw!

I'm going to buy one either way, but what would each of these options hypothetically do to the cost?
superg

Post by superg »

mj23kb08 wrote:
superg wrote:

So you're changing the number of outputs regardless, but as far as inputs go, you're either adding none or adding four more? I would LOVE an 8 input gcompsw!

I'm going to buy one either way, but what would each of these options hypothetically do to the cost?
8:2 will cost virtually the same as gscartsw_lite.
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote: 8:2 will cost virtually the same as gscartsw_lite.
Awesome! Well, you know where my vote is on this topic. The more inputs, the better. No matter what the financial cost. I hope this is the route you decide to go. :D
loukey

Post by loukey »

Hmmmmm more inputs sounds sooooo good. Especially if it has the input protection so if I buy some dumb chinese neogeo cmvs I dont fry it.
Nosgothy

Post by Nosgothy »

Signed up to shmups just so that I could let SuperG know that I'd love for him to make the gcompsw with 8:2 input/outputs. Also the SoG support for the new gscartw sounds super sexy! I'm sure everyone here is waiting very impatiently for it's release.

Really hope I'll be able to order both a gscartw and gcompsw in the next batch... Such a shame they sell out so quickly every single time. Sadly money is not the issue here.

Anyways, keep up the great work SuperG. You've built up quite the cult-following. Trust me on that one.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support.
Can you elaborate on the planed sync on green support? Will it automatically convert RGsB input to RGBS or RGBHV output?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
superg wrote:I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support.
Can you elaborate on the planed sync on green support? Will it automatically convert RGsB input to RGBS or RGBHV output?
Yes, it will properly separate sync signal and remove it from green channel. You'll get legit RGBS on the output.
MrCIB

Post by MrCIB »

Looking forward to both these upgrades
MrMFretwell

Post by MrMFretwell »

Hi there!

I've been reading this thread and I'm mulling over buying a gscartsw for my setup as I'm starting to get quite tired of having to switch up cables regularly, however I'm noticing a few posts suggesting not to use CSYNC cables, and instead go for Sync on Luma. Most of my cables are CSYNC as I've been following the suggestions that it is the best quality. Will this negatively affect my usage of the switcher? Or do I just need to turn off the in built sync stripper and let the cables do it?

Many thanks in advance,

Fret
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MrMFretwell wrote:Hi there!

I've been reading this thread and I'm mulling over buying a gscartsw for my setup as I'm starting to get quite tired of having to switch up cables regularly, however I'm noticing a few posts suggesting not to use CSYNC cables, and instead go for Sync on Luma. Most of my cables are CSYNC as I've been following the suggestions that it is the best quality. Will this negatively affect my usage of the switcher? Or do I just need to turn off the in built sync stripper and let the cables do it?

Many thanks in advance,

Fret
As I understand it, generally, if your cables were made with sync strippers (where the console doesn't natively output composite sync), you need to turn off the sync regeneration on the gscartsw, otherwise you'll run into problems; but your cables should otherwise work fine with the switch.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Sync on luma cables work fine with the switcher. I've been using it with my PS1 for a while now. Sync on green does not (currently) because the sync travels on the same line as green. The switch needs a separate sync line to detect the input. In general, though, I'd stick with c-sync wherever possible. Just makes things easier.