gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mj23kb08

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by mj23kb08 »

SuperG,

I know you mentioned earlier that you don't do a mailing list because that would be an additional place to have to post updates, and I get that. However, why not do a mailing list instead of posting updates about new batches here? Just use this place to answer tech questions about your devices and leave it at that? I say this because it's a hassle to try and remember to come to this forum and scroll through all the comments that don't apply to what I'm interested in just to search for a post that may or may not exist yet about your next batch. I completely missed out on that latest small batch because I had no idea about it and I hadn't checked the forum in a week or two. I really needed a second gcompsw too.

HD Retrovision does a fantastic job with keeping their interested customers in the loop with periodic mailing list updates. Not only do they provide updates about upcoming batches, but they also provide updates about new products. All just by clicking on an email rather than scrolling through a ton of comments. It's very efficient, and their website itself is also really well laid out. They have their store, product info, upcoming projects, and even contact info as well. Before I make my next comment, I want to say your products are INSANELY well-made. I love my gcompsw, and if I was going the SCART route I would buy a gscart lite without hesitation. I trust Marc (TRY) and Coury from MLIG with my life, and they both vouch highly for the gscart lite. With that being said, your website is extremely lacking, and I really hate having to come on these forums. If you don't want to beef up your own website, I understand. It's a lot of work, which you're already putting into making top-notch products, and I imagine the fancier a website gets, the more money you have to spend to maintain it (although I've never run a website so I don't know for sure). However, at a bare minimum, I would include an option for a mailing list sign-up on your site that would allow people to get periodic updates on both new batches and upcoming projects (assuming you have any on the horizon), and then discontinue posting those types updates on these forums (so you don't have to go through the trouble of doing updates in multiple places). It would make sense to me to simply answer technical product questions here and leave it at that.

Once again, I hate coming across as critical because you are extremely knowledgeable and make insanely well-made products. I just think the communication methods for your business could be improved. That's all.

Thanks for all the hard work you do, I love my gcompsw, and I look forward to the next batch of them. Hopefully I'll know about it in time and be able to get my hands on one again.
Llortus

Post by Llortus »

mj23kb08 wrote:SuperG,

I know you mentioned earlier that you don't do a mailing list because that would be an additional place to have to post updates, and I get that. However, why not do a mailing list instead of posting updates about new batches here? Just use this place to answer tech questions about your devices and leave it at that? I say this because it's a hassle to try and remember to come to this forum and scroll through all the comments that don't apply to what I'm interested in just to search for a post that may or may not exist yet about your next batch. I completely missed out on that latest small batch because I had no idea about it and I hadn't checked the forum in a week or two. I really needed a second gcompsw too.

HD Retrovision does a fantastic job with keeping their interested customers in the loop with periodic mailing list updates. Not only do they provide updates about upcoming batches, but they also provide updates about new products. All just by clicking on an email rather than scrolling through a ton of comments. It's very efficient, and their website itself is also really well laid out. They have their store, product info, upcoming projects, and even contact info as well. Before I make my next comment, I want to say your products are INSANELY well-made. I love my gcompsw, and if I was going the SCART route I would buy a gscart lite without hesitation. I trust Marc (TRY) and Coury from MLIG with my life, and they both vouch highly for the gscart lite. With that being said, your website is extremely lacking, and I really hate having to come on these forums. If you don't want to beef up your own website, I understand. It's a lot of work, which you're already putting into making top-notch products, and I imagine the fancier a website gets, the more money you have to spend to maintain it (although I've never run a website so I don't know for sure). However, at a bare minimum, I would include an option for a mailing list sign-up on your site that would allow people to get periodic updates on both new batches and upcoming projects (assuming you have any on the horizon), and then discontinue posting those types updates on these forums (so you don't have to go through the trouble of doing updates in multiple places). It would make sense to me to simply answer technical product questions here and leave it at that.

Once again, I hate coming across as critical because you are extremely knowledgeable and make insanely well-made products. I just think the communication methods for your business could be improved. That's all.

Thanks for all the hard work you do, I love my gcompsw, and I look forward to the next batch of them. Hopefully I'll know about it in time and be able to get my hands on one again.
You can subscribe to a particular thread. When I get notified about a new post, I click the link that takes me directly to the latest post. Outside of people asking why he doesn't do things differently, there isn't _that_ much activity here. It's makes it easy to just ignore the things I'm not necessarily looking for, such as batch announcements.
superg

Post by superg »

mj23kb08 wrote:SuperG,

First post is updated every time something changes. Every time I update the first post I also reply topic with the same information. I lack time for anything else, apart from I hate web programming.
I have a growing backlog of things and I can barely keep it up. And the most important factor is - this is not my primary business, I'm full time employee, in fact I'm replying from work right now.
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

Hey, I've been posting in the Framemeister thread about my issues, but I narrowed it down and I think the problem might actually be the gscartsw-lite I purchased from you a couple of months ago. I'm getting minor but not insignificant white noise when I connect anything through my gscart, especially my SNES. I'm using Retro Gaming Cables UK cords, and a Framemeister. Bypassing the gscart makes everything look perfect, but with the gscart involved, I'm getting white noise. Any advice?
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote: First post is updated every time something changes. Every time I update the first post I also reply topic with the same information. I lack time for anything else, apart from I hate web programming.
I have a growing backlog of things and I can barely keep it up. And the most important factor is - this is not my primary business, I'm full time employee, in fact I'm replying from work right now.
Ah, gotcha. I guess this just shows what a newb I am to this thread. I didn't realize you edit the very first post of the thread every time you have an update. I've always skipped to the last page and scrolled through the comments. I guess knowing that important updates will always appear in the first post makes it significantly less frustrating then. I'd still be thrilled to see a mailing list option at some point, but I understand that it's a lot of work for you, and it's difficult to keep up what you're currently doing while maintaining a completely separate full-time job.

Anyway, keep up the great work, and I look forward to what you have in store for us in the future! (maybe a gcompsw with more inputs *hint* *hint* :wink: :wink: )
msmthng

Post by msmthng »

I think that a pre-order list will help that people will get predictable a unit and help to avoid that people will only try to earn money instead of using it...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-CONSOLES-G ... Sw8hhavxKR
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

msmthng wrote:I think that a pre-order list will help that people will get predictable a unit and help to avoid that people will only try to earn money instead of using it...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-CONSOLES-G ... Sw8hhavxKR
I seriously doubt that it's going to sell for that ridiculous asking price.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

nmalinoski wrote:
msmthng wrote: I seriously doubt that it's going to sell for that ridiculous asking price.
IDK... there are an awful lot of desperate people on this thread... :wink:
SegaDude

Post by SegaDude »

samson7point1 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
msmthng wrote: I seriously doubt that it's going to sell for that ridiculous asking price.
Ha! Let me tell you... I'm pretty desperate for the gcompsw. I've got a bunch of HD RetroVision cables sitting here that I can't use yet with a component switcher.

But I'm going to hold out and make sure the money goes to the man making this awesome switcher.
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

samson7point1 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Great, now there is a reseller scumbag watching the thread to buy them up and sell them for 4x the price. If that wink is there because you're that ebay seller I hope the banhammer comes down on you.
DemoNight

Post by DemoNight »

I got my Scart and comp switch super fast. Just got to looking at them now. All my retro stuff is packed up for a move to a new house so I can't test it but the craftsmanship seems top notch. Don't mind paying a premium price for craftsmanship like this. My plan is to run all all my scart consoles to the scart switch, take the output from that to a a scart to component switch along with the few component consoles I have like Gamecube, Wii, and OG Xbox. Will the auto input select work?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DemoNight wrote:I got my Scart and comp switch super fast. Just got to looking at them now. All my retro stuff is packed up for a move to a new house so I can't test it but the craftsmanship seems top notch. Don't mind paying a premium price for craftsmanship like this. My plan is to run all all my scart consoles to the scart switch, take the output from that to a a scart to component switch along with the few component consoles I have like Gamecube, Wii, and OG Xbox. Will the auto input select work?
If by "scart to component switch" you mean an RGB SCART to YPbPr component converter, then yeah, using that to run your gscartsw into your gcompsw, and then that into your video processor/home theater receiver/display, would work just fine.
Lux

Post by Lux »

gscartsw users, do you recommend a specific SCART cable to link the switch to the TV ? Thanks !
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

So exactly how and where do I order/pre-order one of these?
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Lux wrote:gscartsw users, do you recommend a specific SCART cable to link the switch to the TV ? Thanks !
The kabeldirekt cables from Amazon aren't bad, but stick to the 6 foot:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYELZXE/re ... 5AbENX75VQ

However they are unbelievably bulky and don't sit tightly in the socket. Inside each signal is paired with its ground (not shielded by it like true coax) and the audio is separately shielded, so these will be a marginal upgrade from regular shielded cables.

If your run is short, I would use regular shielded from retro-access or retrogamingcables. If you have a longer run (>5-6 feet) then get the multicore coax (aka packapunch) version from either seller.

The 1m cables from retrogamingcables are super cheap and good quality, I use them for all of my SCART to SCART.

On an unrelated note, I was having tons of problems running the analogue nt mini through the gscartsw to the OSSC into my datapath vision e1s capture card. The OSSC couldn't get sync, and when it finally did the top 1/4 of the picture on the capture card was wavy. Found out 3 weeks later what the problem was - sync regeneration switch was halfway engaged. Turned it off and all problems gone, same with it on.
https://twitter.com/Arithmaldor/status/ ... 36641?s=19
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Subbing to this thread. Really want to grab a gcompsw.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

Any plans for a gcompsw beyond just 4:1? Maybe a 5:1 or 6:1 revision?
Runningbo4rd

Post by Runningbo4rd »

So a little off topic but I hope someone can help me.

I want to implement my Wii into my Gscart rgb setup.
Why dont I use Component because its better you may ask?
Im speedrunning on my Wii and therefore want to use my CRT tv because 0 input lag,
and for CRT RGB is the best quality.
Im using a PAL Wii because ntsc Wii dont have RGB support. I have softmodded
my Wii so I can switch between NTSC 60hz and PAL 50 Hz, my CRT support both.

My issue here is that I bought a rgb scart cable for my Wii, and it works perfect when im running in PAL mode, but when switching to ntsc everything works fine except that the image is all red-ish. I should have seen this coming since its a PAL cable.

Since ntsc wiis dont have rgb support, I cant find a correct cable for my intended setup. I really would like to have my runs in RGB both for quality reasons but also for convenience, so I can run it thru my Gscart.

Does anyone know if you can get a ntsc wired RGB cable for Wii or if I can make one and how it needs to be wired? Im not really skilled in making cables though but I need to understand what I need at least! :D

Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT

So I found out theres no hardware differences in the Wii across regions, and by softmodding to ntsc from Pal basically makes my Pal Wii identical to a ntsc wii, which leads me to believe theres no way of fixing the red screen when using rgb, because ntsc Wii simply dont understand anything better than S-video(aside from component which in this case isnt relevant).

This leads me to a new question.

My best option for quality now is to use S-video ntsc on my CRT.
Can I somehow send S-video signal through the G-Scart using scart cables? And how would they be wired? Ive already tried composite through the Gscart and it didnt work. Im really in deep waters here haha
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Runningbo4rd wrote:My best option for quality now is to use S-video ntsc on my CRT.
Can I somehow send S-video signal through the G-Scart using scart cables? And how would they be wired? Ive already tried composite through the Gscart and it didnt work. Im really in deep waters here haha
Honestly, I would think YPbPr would be good enough, at least until the WiiDual is released.

If you want to send S-Video through SCART, I believe you need to connect Y/Luma to CVBS/Sync (Pin 20) and Chroma to Red (Pin 15) on the SCART connector. The gscartsw should forward the input just fine; you're putting a sync signal on the sync pin, and I believe S-Video chroma uses the same voltage spec as RGB.
Runningbo4rd

Post by Runningbo4rd »

nmalinoski wrote:
Runningbo4rd wrote:My best option for quality now is to use S-video ntsc on my CRT.
Honestly, I would think YPbPr would be good enough, at least until the WiiDual is released.

If you want to send S-Video through SCART, I believe you need to connect Y/Luma to CVBS/Sync (Pin 20) and Chroma to Red (Pin 15) on the SCART connector. The gscartsw should forward the input just fine; you're putting a sync signal on the sync pin, and I believe S-Video chroma uses the same voltage spec as RGB.

I guess YPbPr is the way to go. But I still want to implement the wii into my gscart setup for convenience. I found out about the Garo from Behar Bros which transcodes YPbPr to RGBs. Problem is that they dont make them any more, and I cant find any on eBay etc. looks like theres no other device out there either =\
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Runningbo4rd wrote: I guess YPbPr is the way to go. But I still want to implement the wii into my gscart setup for convenience. I found out about the Garo from Behar Bros which transcodes YPbPr to RGBs. Problem is that they dont make them any more, and I cant find any on eBay etc. looks like theres no other device out there either =\
Look for an Extron CVC300, that would work too until the wiidual is released
Runningbo4rd

Post by Runningbo4rd »

arithmaldor wrote:
Look for an Extron CVC300, that would work too until the wiidual is released

Are the Wiidual going to output rgb on ntsc consoles? Not really interested in the hdmi out.

The extron seems like a good solution, also seems rare though. Are they really pricey as well?
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Runningbo4rd wrote: Are the Wiidual going to output rgb on ntsc consoles? Not really interested in the hdmi out.

The extron seems like a good solution, also seems rare though. Are they really pricey as well?
Wiidual will output HDMI and analogue at the same time. You can choose YPbPr or RGB in software or with jumpers on the board I think. Works on NTSC but only the newer wiis, rvl-cpu-40 and rvl-cpu-60.

Looks like the cvc goes for around $130.

If your TV and scaler support YPbPr, then to get the gscart_lite to pass through, you could take a component cable that also has composite video, then feed the signals to the RGB lines of the gscartsw and the composite video to the sync pin and you'd be golden. I'm not sure if the Wii still generates composite video in 480p mode though so it might only work for standard definition.
superg

Post by superg »

Smile_Kaiser wrote:Hey, I've been posting in the Framemeister thread about my issues, but I narrowed it down and I think the problem might actually be the gscartsw-lite I purchased from you a couple of months ago. I'm getting minor but not insignificant white noise when I connect anything through my gscart, especially my SNES. I'm using Retro Gaming Cables UK cords, and a Framemeister. Bypassing the gscart makes everything look perfect, but with the gscart involved, I'm getting white noise. Any advice?
There shouldn't be any noise. Did you check the other SCART cables just to make sure it's not the cable?
superg

Post by superg »

Sorry guys I've just found out that somehow I wasn't getting new post notifications by email.

Here is the update: I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support. I've ordered a few prototype units which hopefully will arrive next week. After that I'm planning to reiterate gcompsw, align the design with newest gscartsw and maybe implement a dual output. Also I'm unsure whether to change input ports number.
Dopefish

Post by Dopefish »

superg wrote:I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support.
This sounds awesome, and I've been meaning to get a second switch in the next available batch :)

Will it be possible to daisy chain this one with the older gscartsw_lite, or would it have to be two of the same switch (the newer version)?

Thank you for all the hard work you're putting into this!
superg

Post by superg »

Dopefish wrote:
superg wrote:I'm working on a newer version of gscartsw, it will finally have input protection (WindyGaming SUPERGUN damage and similar) and second there will be Sync on Green support.
This sounds awesome, and I've been meaning to get a second switch in the next available batch :)

Will it be possible to daisy chain this one with the older gscartsw_lite, or would it have to be two of the same switch (the newer version)?

Thank you for all the hard work you're putting into this!
Oh, for sure you will be able to daisy chain any version of the switch to any other but SoG will be a bit tricky, more on that later.
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote:After that I'm planning to reiterate gcompsw, align the design with newest gscartsw and maybe implement a dual output. Also I'm unsure whether to change input ports number.
I got REALLY excited when I saw this SuperG. Not so much regarding the dual outputs, but more so the fact you're at least considering more inputs. I know I've mentioned this before, but I would personally love 6-8 inputs. I know when you first created the gcompsw there weren't as many component options console-wise, but now due to HD Retrovision there are more than 4 component options from their products alone. Not to mention they have a Dreamcast component cable in the works. In any case, I personally would be completely giddy and willing to pay a lot more in order to have those extra inputs.
The Zuck

Post by The Zuck »

I would love more inputs for the gcompsw.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

I would personally love an 8 input gcompsw for my setup but if you think 4 or 6 inputs is enough then I guess that's fine as well. So far the systems that I have component for are:

NES
SNES
Dreamcast (Hopefully Soon???)
PS1
PS2
GC
XBOX
Wii
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600