Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wolf_

Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

Post by Wolf_ »

waiwainl wrote:Is there already progress/news on the RGB output?
Analogue posted on twitter a few days ago they got some test units in iirc.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

If I boot a region locked Pal game in Pal mode and then switch to NTSC after the region check the game will run at 60hz right?

There seems to be some confusion on other boards about if this works but unless I’m seeing things it seems to be the case.
I just leave the system set to 1080p60 unless I’m actually gonna play at 50hz.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Scrolling will be stuttery with 50hz (at 1080p60) and speed will be much slower so you should be able to tell easily if its running at 60hz or not.
noonan2678

Post by noonan2678 »

FBX wrote:Mine has worked pretty much flawlessly. It's a revision F that I installed Borti's sound amp board on. The only minor issue that comes up is if cart audio is enabled and I hold the reset button to get back to the SD2SNES menu, there's a loud buzzing sound that comes through the audio. Other than that, it has worked perfectly.
Did you have that buzzing prior to doing the mod to the SD2SNES? I've been planning on doing the mod as well, but currently have no issues and don't want to introduce any for additional convenience. Thanks!
FBX

Post by FBX »

noonan2678 wrote:
FBX wrote:Mine has worked pretty much flawlessly. It's a revision F that I installed Borti's sound amp board on. The only minor issue that comes up is if cart audio is enabled and I hold the reset button to get back to the SD2SNES menu, there's a loud buzzing sound that comes through the audio. Other than that, it has worked perfectly.
Did you have that buzzing prior to doing the mod to the SD2SNES? I've been planning on doing the mod as well, but currently have no issues and don't want to introduce any for additional convenience. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it was there before the mod. But again, it only comes up when you hold the reset button to revert to the menu. It goes away as soon as you let go of the reset button. Just a very minor thing really.
Shin

Post by Shin »

EnragedWhale wrote:If I boot a region locked Pal game in Pal mode and then switch to NTSC after the region check the game will run at 60hz right?

There seems to be some confusion on other boards about if this works but unless I’m seeing things it seems to be the case.
I just leave the system set to 1080p60 unless I’m actually gonna play at 50hz.
apparently not :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61037&start=479
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61037&start=485
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61037&start=487
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

There seems to be some confusion over the relationship between video mode mode selected and the region option.

As far as I can tell NTSC mode runs at 60 and pal mode runs at 50. This can be changed at any point and region locked pal games can often be booted in pal and then changed to ntsc and will run at 60hz. Some games check region on the fly and so this doesn’t work.

The video mode ie 1080p50 vs 1080p60 makes no difference to game speed whatsoever and should be set to match the region to avoid judder
FBX

Post by FBX »

Did a basic settings tutorial for the best resolutions to use on the Super Nt:

https://youtu.be/Hr6KgNXXRxs

Followup video on quick resolution changes using the start button and discussing the bizarre 1:1 and 8:7 res modes Kevtris put in the simplified "Screen Size" menu:

https://youtu.be/PwRXY0L2kuY
strygo

Post by strygo »

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the advancements that were recently made for hybrid scanlines in the OSSC to be brought to the Super Nt? The hybrid scanlines currently present in the Super Nt are a bit underwhelming compared to the OSSC.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

I wonder if support for more than one saved profile could be added with a later firmware update. I like to use different settings depending on what I'm playing (5x for Super Game Boy for example) and it would be nice to be able to quickly swap back and forth rather than having to change the settings depending on the game I'm playing.
Shin

Post by Shin »

EnragedWhale wrote:There seems to be some confusion over the relationship between video mode mode selected and the region option.

As far as I can tell NTSC mode runs at 60 and pal mode runs at 50. This can be changed at any point and region locked pal games can often be booted in pal and then changed to ntsc and will run at 60hz. Some games check region on the fly and so this doesn’t work.

The video mode ie 1080p50 vs 1080p60 makes no difference to game speed whatsoever and should be set to match the region to avoid judder
I literally just linked the the post explaining the issue above your post, did you read those by any chance or do you have any tangible proof Borti is full of it ?

GojiFan90>5X for SGB would be great...but GB/GBC cores from the NT Mini would be even better :)
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Shin wrote:I literally just linked the the post explaining the issue above your post, did you read those by any chance or do you have any tangible proof Borti is full of it ?
Did you actually read Borti's posts? Because Borti says the exact same as what EnragedWhale said.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

paulb_nl wrote:
Shin wrote:I literally just linked the the post explaining the issue above your post, did you read those by any chance or do you have any tangible proof Borti is full of it ?
Did you actually read Borti's posts? Because Borti says the exact same as what EnragedWhale said.
Yup, hence my comment about some people misunderstanding.

The biggest thing the Super NT is missing (for pal gamers) is a PAL 60 mode which allows games that check region on the fly to run at 60 which I believe a SNES with a super CIC mode allows you to do.

Gotta day though overall I absolutely love the super NT and can’t wait for the scan line overhaul Kevtris has in the works :D
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I got this in the mail today. Has any new video options been added to this, before I open it?

I was hoping for some Interpolation (blurring it up a bit). How's the scanlines?
Kevtris makes me mondo sad with how he keeps taking Interpolation out, or leaving it out completely.

Is it that hard, dude? You'd make at least a few people happy.
Always those godawful HQ filters, but nothing to make it look more like a CRT. Madness, I say.
Hey, but we got X-Ray! We were all wanting that.

Does he listen to feedback? He never did put Interpolation back into his HDNES project, despite a number of people complaining. It was worse with that. Instead of just making the image more CRT like, it kept it stable. Now, on the new firmware it's shaky looking.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You have optional vertical and horizontal interpolation which you use when you want to use non-integer scaling on any axis. And it's still to sharp for way, you can simply reduce the output resolution to 720p or to 480p even. Your display will then take care of adding a blur for you. My suggestion is to leave horizontal interpolation enabled, but disable it vertically. If you're not after ultra-sharp pixel rendition, 720p out with scanlines might be your best shot anyway.

The scanlines are nice.

Out of the box this was a much nicer experience than the Nt Mini (due to its lack of interpolation).

Give it a spin, you'll like it. My only complaint would be, that the whole scaling settings are a bit - let's say - chaoticly structured and you will need to minute to get an idea of Kevtris' pixel count when it comes to certain predefined aspect ratios.
Gara

Post by Gara »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I got this in the mail today. Has any new video options been added to this, before I open it?

I was hoping for some Interpolation (blurring it up a bit). How's the scanlines?
Kevtris makes me mondo sad with how he keeps taking Interpolation out, or leaving it out completely.

Is it that hard, dude? You'd make at least a few people happy.
Always those godawful HQ filters, but nothing to make it look more like a CRT. Madness, I say.
Hey, but we got X-Ray! We were all wanting that.

Does he listen to feedback? He never did put Interpolation back into his HDNES project, despite a number of people complaining. It was worse with that. Instead of just making the image more CRT like, it kept it stable. Now, on the new firmware it's shaky looking.
The scanlines need work. It's planned but on the back burner. I personally think they are too thin. If we want to introduce scanlines we should be able to scale them up properly to the gold standard. The Vmenetian blinds over an Lcd look. Ossc does a better job. Super nt should be busting the ossc up on its own turf. I belive that when done the super nt will unquestionably be the best way to play snes on a modern screen. It's just not a there quite yet.

He seems to highly focus each project. Might he quite awhile until we see all the little fixes and adjustments
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:You have optional vertical and horizontal interpolation which you use when you want to use non-integer scaling on any axis. And it's still to sharp for way, you can simply reduce the output resolution to 720p or to 480p even. Your display will then take care of adding a blur for you. My suggestion is to leave horizontal interpolation enabled, but disable it vertically. If you're not after ultra-sharp pixel rendition, 720p out with scanlines might be your best shot anyway.

The scanlines are nice.

Out of the box this was a much nicer experience than the Nt Mini (due to its lack of interpolation).

Give it a spin, you'll like it. My only complaint would be, that the whole scaling settings are a bit - let's say - chaoticly structured and you will need to minute to get an idea of Kevtris' pixel count when it comes to certain predefined aspect ratios.
I've been fiddling with this, on a couple of my TVs. I have an old 40 inch Vizio, which looked awful in 480. I got it looking pretty good in 720, with the Hybrid Scanlines. Still, a little more edgy than I'd like. But not bad.
Now, my main gaming TV is a Samsung, and is a 32 inch. I was able to put it in 480, and it looks....incredibly close to what my CRTs look like. It's pretty surprising.
I have seen some vids on YouTube that the aspect ratio isn't correct? In 480, I have it set at 8:7. Are there any more specific numbers that would be more correct? I'd like it to be the right ratio. Stuff like that drives me crazy.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

8:7 is the pixel ratio which has nothing to do with your desired 4:3 aspect ratio. This is only relevant is you disable interpolation and need some integer scaling factor to avoid shimmering.

If you have your vertical underscan intact (448 visible lines out of the 480 lines your signal transmits), then you might want a little horizontal underscan as well, so maybe a horizontal width of about 600 (contrary to the 512 you get in 8:7 mode).
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

The 8:7 mode is busted on the Super NT as it displays that as an aspect ratio and not the pixel aspect.

If you actaully want square pixels then check the below vids. Personally I use the "4:3 for 16:9" settings that are labelled by Kevtris and used in the below videos too, that is the correct aspect ratio imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6KgNXXRxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwRXY0L2kuY
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

That video is for 1080, whereas I am in 480. I'm using the 600 width. Is that correct? Or is there a more exact number?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

598 is the correct 4:3 ratio for 448 active vertical lines. Assuming that the output is 640x480 and that your TV displays that as true 4:3.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fudoh wrote:598 is the correct 4:3 ratio for 448 active vertical lines. Assuming that the output is 640x480 and that your TV displays that as true 4:3.
Thanks.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

Hello all,

I recently got my super Nt and was planning to use it in 720p with scanlines. I’m after some information however regarding screen size please. On my real US SNES hooked up to my Framemeister when I play games in 720p, especially games that are not letterboxed such as Super Mario World they fill the top and bottom of the screen (lcd set to 4.3) with black bars on the left and right, which is great. On the super NT when o use 3x 4:3 mode at 720p games that should fill the top and bottom of the screen have a black border around the whole screen. I don’t have a SNES classic mini but my nes classic fills the top and bottom ok.

I hope this makes sense , any advice would be welcome? I’d rather not fill the screen (still 4:3) on 5x mode 1080p as I like the scan line look.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@Larrs888: the FM and the Super Nt behave basically identically in 720p. SMW is not supposed to fill your screen top to bottom. If it does, when you probably have overscan enabled on the display.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I have to admit, I like it.
That being said, I really wish someone would speak to him about those scalers. The X-Ray is useless, and the HQ...does anyone use those anymore? Everyone uses scanlines, or bilinear. That's kind of the standard.
And I'm lucky my TV can do 480 well, so it gets the look I'm wanting.
But what if I hook this up to a monitor that only does 1080 or whatever? Well, then we'd have another situation.

He needs to add a couple things, to make this thing future proof. I feel like I'm yelling at the wind, at this point. lol.
I, and a couple other folks really hammered into him that we wanted the interpolation back in the NESRGB, and he just didn't do it. Obviously, he was working on this. But I wish he would add that to this, and get back to that.
If anyone knows they guy, pass this information on to him. He seems like an OK dude, but kind of does his own thing. Which sometimes isn't everyone else's thing.
The aspect ratio thing, is one example.

The device is well made. Heavy and solid. I got into the settings and got rid of that Phil Fish intro, right off the bat. I hate that goof, and I don't want his pretentious crap greeting me every time I turn the thing on.
I wouldn't have minded Konjak or the guy who did Sonic Mania to do an intro.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I got into the settings and got rid of that Phil Fish intro, right off the bat. I hate that goof, and I don't want his pretentious crap greeting me every time I turn the thing on.
Haha, I did exactly the same thing. :)
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

opt2not wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I got into the settings and got rid of that Phil Fish intro, right off the bat. I hate that goof, and I don't want his pretentious crap greeting me every time I turn the thing on.
Haha, I did exactly the same thing. :)
https://youtu.be/f071AfSf9rE
FBX

Post by FBX »

Larrs888 wrote: On the super NT when o use 3x 4:3 mode at 720p games that should fill the top and bottom of the screen have a black border around the whole screen. I don’t have a SNES classic mini but my nes classic fills the top and bottom ok.
The Super NES has 224 active vertical pixels. The NES has 240. So for SNES 224 * 3 = 672. For NES 240 * 3 = 720. That's why the NES fills your screen vertically in 720p, while the Super Nt does not. This is normal behavior for 3x scale.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yeah, I've tried this with some bigger TVs, and it's way too pixelated for me.

Looks good on the Samsung 32 though. In 480.
I mean, I can only imagine how this looks on 50+ and 70+ inch TVs.

I'm gonna contact Analogue, and request some other filters. Doesn't hurt to try.
Is Kevtris' e-mail still the same? The Comcast one?

He doesn't go to NESDev anymore.

You know...I wonder if it's simply possible to ips patch a rom, to have some kind of crt effect. Or a bilinear filter.
Anyone know of something like that?
Retroarch has some SWEET CRT filters, from what I've seen. I don't know why Kev is sticking with HQ and X-Ray. Talented guy....but jeez...

Any chance of custom firmware? People have been doing it to the Everdrives and things like that lately.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Here's a pic of it on my 32 Samsung. I can't get this soft of a look on any other of my TVs.