JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

Post by Xer Xian »

Thanks again!
No problem Sam. :)

Unfortunately the more I use this monitor for testing the more I find small flaws that plague it and that drive me nuts. I prefer the smaller and unassuming TM-H in many ways, shame they are 15kHz only.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

I just remembered something.

Several years ago, I had a HAS supergun and an MV-1C motherboard. I used a mean well power supply that had a pot to adjust the voltage. I remember that when I adjusted the voltage, the skew on the monitor went away, but I don't remember if I adjusted the voltage up or down. :/
werk91

Post by werk91 »

cyborc wrote:I just remembered something.

Several years ago, I had a HAS supergun and an MV-1C motherboard. I used a mean well power supply that had a pot to adjust the voltage. I remember that when I adjusted the voltage, the skew on the monitor went away, but I don't remember if I adjusted the voltage up or down. :/
Interesting! I know some systems can be run at higher voltage as they can take more than what's advertised but surely lower voltage than say the recommended value will be bad ? Can't quite figure out why the extra or lower voltage will remove the upper skew on the monitor though. Since my PCE Turbo Duo is now fixed thanks to the Extron 160xi I am willing to get a CMVS soon-ish (will be few months still) and see how my luck goes with that. The 160xi isn't by far the perfect solution as interestingly some games will still exhibit heavy skewing even with it (Bonk's Adventure and Legion for example). But I found that all that's needed is to go in to the size and position settings and make the frame of the game fill the screen fully, then it all becomes fine. Another weird thing is that I left Legion running for half an hour without playing because I went to the shop and when I'd gotten back the skew and image shake on the top were basically gone... :shock:

I can see how the best solution for this will be a box that mimics what the Extron 160xi does but it also has a pot that lets you quickly adjust the intensity of the "fix" that is applied to the sync signal, so that different consoles and games can be accommodated. I will be trying the DC with the Toro Box next as that has a slight skew in 480p mode also, since it is very slight indeed I'm not rushing to see if the Extron will improve it. Those JVC's let you manipulate the position and size of the image so quickly and efficiently that the 160xi solution really sits okay with me for the long term. Every other console I own looks great with this screen, can't justify changing it just for a few odd systems :)
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Hi guys, I am the lucky owner of a 19" DT-V. But I am having problems with using it for RGB.
I have the IFC01COMG and two other cards for it (SDI & Composite).
Initially the monitor would not even display my RGB feed, giving me the message: 'Out of range low' (the monitor does not list 240p 15KHz as supported, though other people seem to have it working fine on their DT-Vs) but yesterday I hooked it up again, and it finally gave me an image, but it had a green wash over the whole screen and would not let me into ANY menu options other than to see the inputs, and every test/function button just said 'NO EFFECT':

*The tube is fine because I fed in my snes through composite and the image and colors are perfect.

*I am using a Mame CRT_Emudriver setup that works perfectly with my other monitors.

*I have two IFC01COMG's, I have tried both, in all 3 slots that the DT-V 19 has, but I get the same result (both IFC01s also work fine in every other JVC monitor I have had/have).

*Even though it wont let me use any of the buttons in RGB mode, I dont think this is stuck in a green color check. It looks like a lighter shade of green, and you can see other colors slightly on screen.

Any one have any ideas?
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Crayfish wrote:Hi guys, I am the lucky owner of a 19" DT-V. But I am having problems with using it for RGB.
I have the IFC01COMG and two other cards for it (SDI & Composite).
Initially the monitor would not even display my RGB feed, giving me the message: 'Out of range low' (the monitor does not list 240p 15KHz as supported, though other people seem to have it working fine on their DT-Vs) but yesterday I hooked it up again, and it finally gave me an image, but it had a green wash over the whole screen and would not let me into ANY menu options other than to see the inputs, and every test/function button just said 'NO EFFECT':

*The tube is fine because I fed in my snes through composite and the image and colors are perfect.

*I am using a Mame CRT_Emudriver setup that works perfectly with my other monitors.

*I have two IFC01COMG's, I have tried both, in all 3 slots that the DT-V 19 has, but I get the same result (both IFC01s also work fine in every other JVC monitor I have had/have).

*Even though it wont let me use any of the buttons in RGB mode, I dont think this is stuck in a green color check. It looks like a lighter shade of green, and you can see other colors slightly on screen.

Any one have any ideas?
Did you change the sync from internal to external? Or vice versa. Press down and left, then function settings > INT/EXT. I usually get this result or no picture when I don't have the correct sync settings set.

edit: I know you said that you can't use any of the buttons in RGB mode, I don't think thats normal. Try this menu though (down and left) - it should work.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Crayfish wrote:snip
I get the same green tint on PS2 if I use GSM and try a VGA preset. Using HDTV preset produces the correct colors.
Strangely enough, using a PC with VGA to BNC produces the correct colors also.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Would a dual frequency oscillator mod for an MVS improve the compatibility with the monitor? So it's closer to 60Hz refresh rate as opposed to ~59.1Hz. I've read that it helps with the FM but I'm not sure if CRTs can benefit from it too.

Last post here: Link
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

werk91 wrote:Would a dual frequency oscillator mod for an MVS improve the compatibility with the monitor? So it's closer to 60Hz refresh rate as opposed to ~59.1Hz. I've read that it helps with the FM but I'm not sure if CRTs can benefit from it too.

Last post here: Link
I've wondered that myself. What's strange is when using groovymame (which can output the exact refresh rate and resolution of the original game) The monitor has no skew whatsoever with Neo-Geo games. Looks perfect.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

So if its not the odd refresh rate then maybe it really is the same problem as the PCE and it comes down to subpar sync signal. I can't actually find much about that DFO mod for MVS anyway, and from what I've read it's complicated so not something I can just the ask the person doing my CMVS to just add in the meantime.
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

Anyone know how to modify h linearity ? the left square on the grid are too big.
In service menu there is only v linearity setting.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I couldn't TATE this monitor without discoloration. I tried it again at my new place and I found that if the monitor is facing east/west there is still a very, very slight discoloration in the corner but it's much worse when facing the CRT north/south.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

cyborc wrote:I mentioned earlier in this thread that I couldn't TATE this monitor without discoloration. I tried it again at my new place and I found that if the monitor is facing east/west there is still a very, very slight discoloration in the corner but it's much worse when facing the CRT north/south.
I tried to tate my DT-V the other day too.. And now it has a blue discolouration in the top right hand corner (visible on solid red background). The degauss button and startup degauss does not get rid of it, how did you remove it? I am guessing a degaussing wand?
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

for me the discoloration went away after putting it back to horizontal. I turned off the monitor, rotated it back to normal, unplugged it and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I didn't need to use a wand. I wonder if the degauss button even works on my monitor... When I press it, the screen will say "Degaussing!" but it doesn't actually "shake" like other monitors with a degauss button.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

It probably doesn't, then. My 19" TM-H has a bad degauss circuit. I manually degaussed it with a stack of neodymium magnets on a steel needle file and spun it like a propeller from the center of the screen outward.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

cyborc wrote:for me the discoloration went away after putting it back to horizontal. I turned off the monitor, rotated it back to normal, unplugged it and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I didn't need to use a wand. I wonder if the degauss button even works on my monitor... When I press it, the screen will say "Degaussing!" but it doesn't actually "shake" like other monitors with a degauss button.
Hmm, I did the same (unplugged everything whilst rotating it etc) but it still managed to get discoloured. I just didn't let it sit for 30 mins. I guess I'll just try to pickup a wand.

Yes that sounds like your degauss button doesn't work but from what I remember the TM-H degausses on start up (unless it's not just the button as Einz said above).
lewolfeur wrote:Anyone know how to modify h linearity ? the left square on the grid are too big.
In service menu there is only v linearity setting.
Also, hopefully someone who has done this or knows more can chime in. I think one of these is the horizontal linearity coil but don't know which, another member told me it should have a magnet inside? Anyone know about this?

werk91

Post by werk91 »

I'm curious what colour temperature people have their DTV's set to? I spend some time reading the 63k vs the 93k thread so that's where I'm coming from. Personally the warmer 63k has always seemed off to me when I've tried it on any game or console. Just too yellow where there's meant to be white... It probably means that my monitor needs calibration but oh well. And as far as 93k putting more wear on the monitor well yeah, but I think it can take some extra wear from my now scarce one to two hour play sessions.
MKL

Post by MKL »

The linearity coil is on the main chassis and can't be adjusted.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

werk91 wrote:I'm curious what colour temperature people have their DTV's set to? I spend some time reading the 63k vs the 93k thread so that's where I'm coming from. Personally the warmer 63k has always seemed off to me when I've tried it on any game or console. Just too yellow where there's meant to be white... It probably means that my monitor needs calibration but oh well. And as far as 93k putting more wear on the monitor well yeah, but I think it can take some extra wear from my now scarce one to two hour play sessions.
On my JVC DT-V1710CG and every other monitor I have, the colour temperature is set to 93k. Since I remember, I don't like warm colours. I live in Europe :)
Acer

Post by Acer »

how much would a good condition JVC DT-V1710CG be worth? (no component card)
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Just have a look at closed eBay listings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... _PrefLoc=2

And regarding color temperature, I like 9300 more than 6500 too. I can't find any source stating that a higher color temp/colder white may cause phosphors to degrade at a faster rate, but even if true (blue phoshors age sooner perhaps?), I'd bet it's not going to be significant when you consider the typical usage scenario.. no one here plays several dozens of hours per week I guess :) But in this case, lowering contrast and brightness a bit surely matters more than changing the color temp.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

MKL wrote:The linearity coil is on the main chassis and can't be adjusted.
Can you explain more? I was told that these two coils in the picture I shared can change the horizontal linearity. Are you sure this one you are referring to is horizontal not vertical?
Acer wrote:how much would a good condition JVC DT-V1710CG be worth? (no component card)
I would not pay more than £300 ($410) maximum. Assuming it is low hours too.
MKL

Post by MKL »

Sefirosu789 wrote:
Can you explain more? I was told that these two coils in the picture I shared can change the horizontal linearity. Are you sure this one you are referring to is horizontal not vertical?
The coils and other adjustments on the yoke are for dynamic convergence. The linearity coil on every monitor is on the chassis in series with the horizontal yoke (so in the flyback area) and is magnetically biased (all other coils have a ferrite core) and it often has a sleeve with a band marking its polarity (or three legs so it can't be mounted incorrectly). The magnet on its top is glued after the best linearity is obtained by rotating it. It can't be adjusted anymore after that.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Sefirosu789 wrote:
Acer wrote:how much would a good condition JVC DT-V1710CG be worth? (no component card)
I would not pay more than £300 ($410) maximum. Assuming it is low hours too.
I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much, personally. If it had the component card, I'd go to like $250-300. But also I'd only be seeking the 19 anyway.

But I also already have plenty of monitors.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

MKL wrote:cut
Understood, thank you. That's a shame because so many of these DT-V's that I've seen need horizontal linearity adjustments. I assume that it is glued in the factory, I'll have to check mine next time I open it up.
Einzelherz wrote:I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much, personally. If it had the component card, I'd go to like $250-300. But also I'd only be seeking the 19 anyway.

But I also already have plenty of monitors.
I agree, I would not pay it either but prices are unfortunately pretty high right now. If it were my first monitor I would rather pay £250-300 for a DT-V and £60 or so for the clone card as opposed to a 20F1E which are currently selling for £500-600 right now... It's stupid, I know.

If you are talking about the real RGB/Component card it's like £100 min. by itself here in EU, so I don't think grabbing the monitor + card for $250-300 is actually possible... At least on eBay. Outside of that it's of course completely different ball game, just gotta get lucky!
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Anyone else using the DT-V with a Saturn and Genesis/MD:

On the Saturn, does the picture slightly wobble, and is the screen slightly jittery on the MD? I'm just trying to get an idea if this is just another of the monitors quirks or if there's something wrong with mine. Thanks.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

cyborc wrote:Anyone else using the DT-V with a Saturn and Genesis/MD:

On the Saturn, does the picture slightly wobble, and is the screen slightly jittery on the MD? I'm just trying to get an idea if this is just another of the monitors quirks or if there's something wrong with mine. Thanks.
Yes this happens on some people's DT-V's but lucky it is not very noticeable. There is no definitive solution but some people used Extron RXI interfaces to remove the wobble and in some cases it was console power bricks or power outlets causing interference.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I've had the same issue with PS1 and ps2 in RGB. I don't think it is a issue, but a feature of the DT-V. Try using a extron RGB interface and change the sync to RGBHV. It worked for me ;)
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Guess 93k colour temp is universally better looking on those monitors amongst other people too. I'll be sticking with it as my brightness and contrast are around 50% on the dial anyways :)

As for the slightly wobbling image yes it's definitely on PS2 and Saturn. For Genesis I thought not but will double check... Doesn't the Extron unit in-between give you other weird problems like skew on PS2 for eg.? Although I never have tried using it in RGBHV output, does that mean you're using both inputs for sync on the RGB card?
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Yes, there is a skew while using RGBS, but in RGBHV ( 5x BNC) everything is perfect ;)
lewolfeur

Post by lewolfeur »

I have a problem with a 1900 which has 47k (focus and geometry is very good), from time to time the image shrinks horizontally and then returns to normal, also it shakes weakly in vertical. An idea which capacitor should I change?

I picked from my box a 1710 but the horizontal linearity on left side is not good. that why i have asked the question a few days ago.