Ikaruga coming to the Switch May 29th

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
steveovig

Ikaruga coming to the Switch May 29th

Post by steveovig »

Has all this stuff...

* Online leaderboards
* 2-player coop mode
* "Arcade" and "Prototype" modes
* 3 difficulty settings
* TATE mode

$14.99
FRO

Re: Ikaruga coming to the Switch May 29th

Post by FRO »

Here's the official Nicalis post on their website:
https://blog.nicalis.com/blog/Ikaruga-B ... on-May-29/
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

steveovig wrote:Has all this stuff...

* Online leaderboards
* 2-player coop mode
* "Arcade" and "Prototype" modes
* 3 difficulty settings
* TATE mode

$14.99
I hope that is for a physical copy LOL. $9.99 on STEAM / 360 / and XB1 via BC....
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, I just don't get this shit why its $15 when its $10 on the other digital storefronts. While its based on the Steam version. $15 isn't really comparative just to have it at home and on the go.

Also, I read the blog post, it seems to be E-Shop only, no physical. Welp, time to bug LRG again, lol.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
bikingjahuty

Post by bikingjahuty »

Didn't Treasure tease Radiant Silvergun as well? Please tell me RS is getting a switch port too?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

bikingjahuty wrote:Didn't Treasure tease Radiant Silvergun as well? Please tell me RS is getting a switch port too?
Yes, but all they announced was an Ikaruga port, no RS though, sorry.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Nicalis is a shit-tier publisher. Expect this to be delayed and release with multiple issues that might never be patched.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

I have the 360 version, so i'll pass. But a port of Radiant Silvergun would be awesome.
califoreigner

Post by califoreigner »

Oniros wrote:Nicalis is a shit-tier publisher. Expect this to be delayed and release with multiple issues that might never be patched.
Yeah still waiting for the vita port of yatagarasu.
clippa

Post by clippa »

ReSe2k wrote:I have the 360 version, so i'll pass. But a port of Radiant Silvergun would be awesome.
There's a pc version too if you want something less transient, often goes on sale for £3.49 ($4.99)- https://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/Ikaruga/

Both the 360 and pc versions (and I'm assuming the upcoming switch version) have analogue controls, you can still use digital, but it's worth noting if that's something that bothers you when it comes to leaderboards.
zakk

Post by zakk »

It is worth noting that the 360 version is not a 100% faithful port of the Arcade/DC version. There are a few spots where enemy behavior/patterns are modified, so you cannot use the same route.

Off the top of my head:
Stage 3 midboss
Stage 3 bonus enemies
First half of stage 4 (the spiral pattern parts)

I also remember some general weirdness with the way the wind laser release shots target things.

It's not a completely broken port by any means, but there are changes that will require you to alter your play if you're used to any other version.

I believe the PC version doesn't have these changes, although I haven't played it in a long time.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

zakk wrote:It is worth noting that the 360 version is not a 100% faithful port of the Arcade/DC version. There are a few spots where enemy behavior/patterns are modified, so you cannot use the same route..
One has to ask himself is that is even an issue? I am glad there are changes, finally a (be it slightly) different game that you already own for 10 platforms!

It would be more impressive if they would take the effort of doing some Ikaruga II - even if it would be some Arrange-like situation.
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
ciox

Post by ciox »

waiwainl wrote:
zakk wrote:It is worth noting that the 360 version is not a 100% faithful port of the Arcade/DC version. There are a few spots where enemy behavior/patterns are modified, so you cannot use the same route..
One has to ask himself is that is even an issue? I am glad there are changes, finally a (be it slightly) different game that you already own for 10 platforms!

It would be more impressive if they would take the effort of doing some Ikaruga II - even if it would be some Arrange-like situation.
I always thought that was the point of the XBLA changes, to lightly "arrange" the game, unfortunately most players who would notice those changes hated them since they wanted to max their score on the "official" version of the game and not mess around.
I don't think they have anyone that did gameplay work anymore, so endless ports is all we'll get out of Ikaruga.

On the other hand, if some people are to be believed, Project RS-3 (a sequel to RSG/Ikaruga that was hyped ever since the mid 00s) is still alive.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Not to be a naysayer, I acknoledge times are difficult for everyone, but Treasure used to be softhouse priding itself with the no-sequel policy... To see them retooling their oldies as if they were the usual company managing its back catalogoue, is a bit depressing.

One is almost tempted to yell "look, let's have Hamster manage these reissues, let's see the real new stuff".
X - P - B
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Turrican wrote:Not to be a naysayer, I acknoledge times are difficult for everyone, but Treasure used to be softhouse priding itself with the no-sequel policy... To see them retooling their oldies as if they were the usual company managing its back catalogoue, is a bit depressing.

One is almost tempted to yell "look, let's have Hamster manage these reissues, let's see the real new stuff".
These releases fund new projects or keep the bills paid. Rather them be on life support then dead like some of the other developers like Takumi and Raizing. And yes I know Raizing still exists as 8ing but that does not count to me as they no longer develop shmups.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
pmp

Post by pmp »

Tokyo-J wrote:These releases fund new projects or keep the bills paid. Rather them be on life support then dead like some of the other developers like Takumi and Raizing. And yes I know Raizing still exists as 8ing but that does not count to me as they no longer develop shmups.
When was the last time Treasure made a game? They don’t appear to be much more than a port house for Ikaruga anymore. Who knows if they even handle the ports in house and aren’t contracting That out too. Ikaruga is probably the only reason the company still exists and didn’t vanish like Takumi.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Those cool Bleach fighting games, Sin and Punishment 2, Bangai-O sequels, Gaist Crusher, etc. They don't make games often but they definitely still make games.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
pmp

Post by pmp »

Despatche wrote:Those cool Bleach fighting games, Sin and Punishment 2, Bangai-O sequels, Gaist Crusher, etc. They don't make games often but they definitely still make games.
Most of those games are a decade old now too. I guess they made a few jp only 3ds games more recently that i didn’t know about.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Well, yes, when you only make a game every so often, your dev history will pan out to a few games a decade.

Bangai-O HD was 2011. Gaist Crusher was 2013, with an updated version (God) in 2014. That's been their last game with the Treasure name on it so far.

Following people is also important, especially Hiroshi Iuchi. He eventually left for G.rev and did Strania and Kokuga. Then he left for M2 and is now working on Ubusuna, though that thing was announced way back in 2014.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Japanese Page is up and is being published by Pikii 1,500 yen May 30th.

http://www.pikii.jp/ikaruga/

Japanese Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlFi6X3yfjs
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Tokyo-J wrote:Japanese Page is up and is being published by Pikii 1,500 yen May 30th.

Is Pikii the Japanese arm of Nicalis?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

BrianC wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:Japanese Page is up and is being published by Pikii 1,500 yen May 30th.

Is Pikii the Japanese arm of Nicalis?
Well, going to the Ikaruga page of the Switch version...Bringing up the game list does show titles licensed by Nicalis, so I assume yes.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

It's pretty sad at what has become of Treasure. They made some fine games, and I loved them enough to go out of my way to own almost every Japanese released Treasure game, the bad and the most expensive also, at one point. Now they've basically been reduced to merely re-releasing the same games on every new system, presumably to make ends meet. And I mean, seriously, Ikaruga? I know it has a cult following'n'all, but surely everyone who loves this game has already bought it at least twice over the years and are sick of it?

They've put the price at $15 and, if it doesn't sell so well (which it possibly won't, as many people will probably go for cheaper shmups) they'll possibly complain about it and hault future switch projects i.e. Radiant Silvergun, etc.

All power to those who will be grabbing this. I hope they'll enjoy it. I'll stick to Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 2 and Blazing Star whilst I continue praying for Cave ports.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Despatche wrote:Those cool Bleach fighting games, Sin and Punishment 2, Bangai-O sequels, Gaist Crusher, etc. They don't make games often but they definitely still make games.
Those Bleach DS fighting games were way better than they had any right to be. I wish Treasure was more active these days though...
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Having never played Ikaruga, what is the difficulty like compared to Danmaku Unlimited 3 on hard mode?
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

wasilewski wrote:Having never played Ikaruga, what is the difficulty like compared to Danmaku Unlimited 3 on hard mode?
Apples and oranges...seriously, just fire it up in an emulator or buy on steam and see for yourself.
Danmaku U is kinda cave style.
Ikaruga - with its puzzle style chaining - is very much its own thing.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So how’s Ikaruga on the Switch? I owned the GameCube version since 2006, and I had the 360 version since 2012. I’m seriously considering getting this version because this is such a great game.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

xxx1993 wrote:So how’s Ikaruga on the Switch? I owned the GameCube version since 2006, and I had the 360 version since 2012. I’m seriously considering getting this version because this is such a great game.
I only had time to play it briefly today but it seems to be based off the steam/nesica version and not the 360, judging from the fact that you can't damage the stage 2 boss early. So that's a good sign I guess. I'm always a little scared of nicalis, but so far so good. Still haven't played every stage yet, but everything I've done so far has worked like it should.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've been hoping that the Switch version would be even better, or at least just as good as its Dreamcast and 360 counterparts.