Crystalio II 3300

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mimylovesjapan

Crystalio II 3300

Post by mimylovesjapan »

I could get a Crystalio from Ebay this week !
But lot of trouble for now. PSU was not connect inside the machine, neither the control panel to the motherboard... don't know why.
Now, the power is ok, menu is also displaying. I can access to the menu.
But I can' display anything for now, as HDMI out seems to not working (?).
The version is 2.10 for video projector. I would like to update to "rescue" 2.10 normal version to see if the problem would be resolve.
But official website for update is down.
Someone has it somewhere ?
Last edited by mimylovesjapan on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Re: Crystalio II 3300 frimware

Post by Fudoh »

mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

Thank you so much Fudoh !
I try it and post again !
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

OK ! I updated it !
But it is not working yet...

Inside the machine there is 2 boards.
All ports of the board above seems to not respond.

Do you have an idea of the origin of the problem ?
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

an other question.
My crystalio has no fan inside. Is it normal ?
Someone has a picture of inside of his crystalio II 3300 ? Then I ca ncheck if something is missing.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Originally the PSU has a fan on it and that's the only one. By design the PSU is always on, so it's not the greatest design. On the 3300 and 3800 units the PSUs have been prone to failing, but they're relatively easy to replace (except for the fact that the boards are directly soldered to the PSU - there's not plugable connector).

What state was the processor supposed to be in when you bought it ? Was it sold as "for parts only" ?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

The two most recent sales both claimed to be working. Since the OP mentioned getting it on eBay it should be one of those. Sucks that it's messed up, these things are tough to get.

Edit: I get bad vibes from the wording of the one that sold on April 8th though. "Blahblahblah no returns."
strygo

Post by strygo »

Just a tip: since the seller sold it as "Used" as opposed to "For Parts Only" you can (and should) absolutely return it if you can't get it working.

Sellers try to use language like "no returns" in the description, but unless they choose "For Parts Only," they will lose and eBay will automatically refund you your money.
Steamflogger Boss

strygo wrote:Just a tip: since the seller sold it as "Used" as opposed to "For Parts Only" you can (and should) absolutely return it if you can't get it working.

Sellers try to use language like "no returns" in the description, but unless they choose "For Parts Only," they will lose and eBay will automatically refund you your money.
Absolutely agree with this and I should have stated as much in my previous post. It's obviously not working right and that's on the seller if they stated it works and listed it as working. Don't let sellers strong arm you.

Given that this is a somewhat rare item, repair might be preferable so you could look into your options there. It's pricey enough that paying to have it repaired professionally (at the sellers expense) might be worthwhile for both parties. I had this happen with an old (90s) power amp I bought and both sides ended up happy. Seller still made some money instead of losing like $200+ on shipping to get back an item that needed repair and I still got a very nice item that isn't always on eBay for a fair price.

Of course an option like this is only available if the seller is willing to work with you. It might be pretty difficult due to the language barrier in this instance (seems like op is esl). Either way always be willing to just return the item, as you don't want to be seen as trying to leverage/lean on the seller.

Btw I don't know how similarly it performs but the Anthem AVM50 and it's V revision both have the same processing chip as the Crystalio II. Maybe Fudoh can speak to this if he has tried one.
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

I almost bid on this item now I'm glad I listened to my gut. I only wanted the remote control for my unit though. Finding one of those is impossible.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

Yes, I am a little bit sad.
It were sold as working. The seller is very kind, then I think we will find a good agreement.

For now, I have to check :
- if the Crystalio doesn't have any missing part inside (as it was open : PSU unplugged inside).
- why the board above is not emitting signal (like there is no power reaching the card)

The menus and the main board are working well, then I have some hope.

If someone could send me a good picture of their Crystalio inside, to see what parts are connected and in which way, it could help me a lot !
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I would do the following:

1) open it up and inspect the boards to see if there's anything that looks bad (unlikely)
2) check that all cables on the inside are properly hooked up (find pics on LDDb, scroll down a bit)
3) check both the hdmi and analog out
4) nothing? most likely the PSU is giving up as Fudoh suggested. Replacing it is very easy and you only need a screwdriver and a few screw terminals (and a working PSU :) ). See here for more info. However, be aware that if the issue persists, the seller might then refuse to accept a return/refund you on account that the unit was tampered with. You might want to ask for his permission beforehand (through ebay or better yet, open a paypal dispute and message via paypal), and only proceed if he agrees to it (ie will cover the cost of the PSU and will still accept a return/give a refund if that turns out not to be the issue).
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

Xer Xian, thank your advices ! And the link to substance pictures !
I checked every thing but no changes... Daughter board seems to not working.

I notice 2 strange violet wires solders on the board... I add pictures :

Is it normal ?
Last edited by mimylovesjapan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

I could get a first image through RGBHV !

This is not good ?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Does not look that good to me :?:

From the pictures you posted, it looks like someone did some modding to your unit, the heatsink in the first picture is also not there on the CII photographed by the guy on the LDDb forum. I might be wrong though, I'm certainly not an expert.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

doesn't look good indeed. Unfortunately you can't know if it's the PSU unless you can try another PSU or verify that the current one is definitely working.

If you have the chance to pickup a cheap Flex ATX PSU, I would do that. If you don't mind being able to close the case, you can also use any ATX power supply instead.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

Ok, I asked the seller for a return or a partial refound (in case I could keep the crystalio).
If he accepts to let me the crystalio, I will try to fix it by myself. Or send it to magic pixel.
I'll post again ! thank you !
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

The seller refunded me a part, and accepted to let me the machine as "junk".
Then I can try to repare it by myself now.
I contacted Magic Pixel to ask How much it would cost to repare it.
I wait for they response !

For the PSU check, any ATX power supply would work ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For the PSU check, any ATX power supply would work ?
yes. You just need a Flex-ATX one to fit it into the case. If you don't want to cut the wires on your ATX one, you need a 24pin breakout/extion cable which you can cut.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

OK, I just bought one adapter on ebay. It will take 2 or 3 weeks to deliver ^^
I will have time to think !
I wait also for Magic Pixel mail.
I have also an ingeneer friend who can help me to repare it.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

OK,
Just recieved an adapter 6 pin for a classic ATX. The color code is different than the cable in the crystalio.
Should I cut the wires to connect it with the right color (I can cut them and solder them together easly, as it is only a cheap adapter)
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

Last news :
I could finally try the new PSU for the crystalio II VPS 3300, but it doesn't work better.
Here is a little point again :

- PSU has no problem then.
- The HDMI IN 1, 2, 3, 4 are working,
- but not the HDMI 1, 2 OUT, neither Video analog IN, 1, 2, 3, 4 . (menu doesn't recoginze it)
- component out is giving a green screen with artefacts.
- Menu is working.

Someone could help me to continue my investigation ?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

You could try reflowing some of the BGA chips.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

I am not familiar with reflowing.
Isn't too risky for the chips ?
Steamflogger Boss

Sounds like the unit is pretty borked anyway, so you can't really do any more harm given that it already doesn't work right.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

:)
You are wright.
I will ask you my engineer friend to help me to check chips and doing a clean reflowing.
mimylovesjapan

Re: Crystalio II 3300

Post by mimylovesjapan »

OK ! I did great improvement since last time ! I checked the Crystalio with my engineer friend.
- trying lot of settings : no results
- updating the Crystalio : no results
- testing other PSU : no results.
- reflowing was out of question because we didn't have proper material.
- then trying to remove the flat cables between the mother board and the daughter board : results !

I could get a video signal removing the first flat cable from the left ! Only through RGBHV though.
Pluggin back the cable gave me a green screen, but the signal through RGBHV could stay !
But I can't use HDMI out yet.

I will try to remove an clean all the flat cables, just in case.

Now the questions.
If I can get it work at the end, only through RGBHV, can I get a quality as good as through HDMI in 1080p ?
If yet, what is the best way to connect the RGBHV to my HDMI TV plug ? OSSC would be the best choice ? If I use OSSC as a RGBHV to HDMI transfert, do I loose some quality in the process ?
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

mimylovesjapan wrote:OK ! I did great improvement since last time ! I checked the Crystalio with my engineer friend.
- trying lot of settings : no results
- updating the Crystalio : no results
- testing other PSU : no results.
- reflowing was out of question because we didn't have proper material.
- then trying to remove the flat cables between the mother board and the daughter board : results !

I could get a video signal removing the first flat cable from the left ! Only through RGBHV though.
Pluggin back the cable gave me a green screen, but the signal through RGBHV could stay !
But I can't use HDMI out yet.

I will try to remove an clean all the flat cables, just in case.

Now the questions.
If I can get it work at the end, only through RGBHV, can I get a quality as good as through HDMI in 1080p ?
If yet, what is the best way to connect the RGBHV to my HDMI TV plug ? OSSC would be the best choice ? If I use OSSC as a RGBHV to HDMI transfert, do I loose some quality in the process ?
Probably better to just buy replacement flat cables from digikey or mouser. Did that for mine.
mimylovesjapan

Post by mimylovesjapan »

do you think it could resolve my problem ?
I will search for the flat cables !

What about OSSC 1080p passing through ? RGBHV -> HDMI.
rama

Post by rama »

So at least some pins of your flat flex built up enough resistance to cause signal loss.
(I didn't want to write "corroded", it's probably not there yet.)

This means that *all* the flat flex cables and *all* their connectors need to be cleaned.
You'll want to deal with this the same as with classic Nintendo game edge connectors:
Isopropyl alcohol, a method to get to the connector pins, nothing abrasive!

Clean the cables first, then the connectors.
After that, insert the cables once and pull them out again. Clean the cables once more.

This should restore good contact and you can go from there.