TwinBee (Moero, 3, Detana!!, Da!) [Arcade/Famicom/GB/PSP/DS]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

TwinBee (Moero, 3, Detana!!, Da!) [Arcade/Famicom/GB/PSP/DS]

Post by Perikles »

ImageImage

I contacted BrianC a while ago and got no response, so I hope it's alright if I take over, there's been some activity lately and it would be a shame if those would go unheralded. The old thread can be found here.

I'm going to add all the other missing games so that every game/port is covered at some place. In a nutshell: you can post every TwinBee score here that is not PCE Detana!!, Pop'n or Yahhoo!. I also make separate boards for different difficulty settings which should be self-explanatory.

I suppose you should add your format when playing the arcade TwinBee and Detana!! TwinBee since we have a gapless documentation for it, anyway. Let me know if there are some regional differences in Detana!! TwinBee/Bells & Whistles, or changes when playing on a different format for both of the arcade games. For anyone who's interested: it seems to be general consensus that each loop in the first TwinBee consists of five stages even though you don't see the topographical beginning of the game after that in the arcade game. I'm just going to list the stage number to be safe, but this should be correct.

I would add PowerofElsydeon's score if I had any idea what that picture is supposed to show, my guess is on Detana!! TwinBee, but I don't know for sure. Please write it down in proper format in case you read it! I'm not going to keep the highly specific no-powerups Famicom TwinBee table, no one will ever submit a score, I'm sorry. I'm just going to add the score to the general Famicom table with a note.

Please adhere to this submission format:

Game [- Difficulty in case it's non-default]
Name - Score - Stage [- Format (for the arcade games)]

TwinBee

Arcade

Code: Select all

Name                 Score     Stage   Format  
1.  Perikles           4,637,100    18      MAME          
2.  Kollision          3,162,600    16      PSP
3.  Aquas              2,568,050    16      MAME
4.  Shepardus          2,128,500    10      MAME
5.  Seahawk            1,776,750     9      MAME 
6.  KoopaTGR           1,213,200     6      MAME
7.  doctorx0079          733,950     5       DS
8.  BrianC               659,650     5       DS
9.  spadgy               557,350     5       DS 
Famicom

Name                 Score     Stage   
1.  Perikles           1,795,600     8               
2.  Baby Bonnie Hood     963,400     6 (note: played without power-ups, run was intentionally terminated after one loop)

Moero TwinBee: Cinnamon-hakase o Sukue!/Stinger

Normal

1.  Perikles           4,134,400    12               

TwinBee 3: Poko Poko Daimao

Easy

1.  Perikles           9,999,990    8-1               
Hard

1.  Perikles           9,999,990    7-1               

TwinBee Da! - GB

Normal

1.  tinotormed         1,596,100    ALL
2.  Turrican           1,306,200    ALL
3.  roadrunner           463,000     3 

TwinBee Da! - PSP

Normal

1.  SIK-07             2,040,350    ALL
2.  Perikles           1,804,250    ALL
3.  Turrican           1,765,300    ALL
4.  Shepardus          1,625,900    ALL
Hard

1.  tinotormed         1,916,350    ALL

Detana!! TwinBee

Name                 Score     Stage   Format  
1.  Shepardus          2,625,300    2-2     MAME
2.  Jaimers            2,559,550    2-2     MAME
3.  Bastos             2,400,050    2-2    Saturn
4.  Perikles           1,867,200    2-1     MAME
5.  Mero               1,749,650    1-7     PSX          
6.  Seahawk            1,673,250    1-5     MAME 
7.  PlasmaBlooD        1,235,150    1-4     PCB  
Last edited by Perikles on Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 22 times in total.
BrianC

Re: TwinBee (Moero, 3, Detana!!, Da!) [Arcade/Famicom/GB/PSP

Post by BrianC »

I don't mind if you take over. I have a job now and I'm not sure if I'll be able to update as often. Sorry for the lack of response.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

TwinBee
Shepardus - 1,034,100 - 5 - MAME

Improved by a massive 150 points!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

TwinBee
Xeno - 1,477,900 - 8 - MAME
"I will not die until I achieve something.
Even though the ideal is high, I never give in.
Therefore, I never die with regrets." 1CC
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

I suppose Medium is the default difficulty in this game? I just noticed I have been playing on Easy mode ffs so scrap my score.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Should be Medium/Normal difficulty with one extend at 30,000 points and another at 120,000 points. I can add another table if you wish, instead of deleting the score entirely. :)
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

The extend values were changed too, just delete the score and I'll see if I can get anywhere with the default settings.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

TwinBee
Shepardus - 1,274,750 - 6 - MAME

Got a 1-ALL, if you can call it that. The terrain hadn't started to repeat yet but bosses start to repeat from stage 6 onwards. I might upload a video if I don't get a better run soon (like, say, one that loops the terrain). I went overboard with the blue bells, even had trouble catching bells in stage 5 because I was moving too quickly. :lol:

This is nowhere near the difficulty rating the Japanese STG wiki gives it (13 points), it's more like 3 or 4 points with autofire and maybe a couple points higher without (only bosses take more than one hit to kill so the main benefit of using autofire is that it's less tiring). As long as you can get the powerups you need early on, and you go for shield rather than options, there isn't much threat until stage 5 or so. I imagine the rating given was based on using options. Options feel better than shield at first because you can cover a wider area with your shots, but with the shield you can run all over the screen without having to worry about your run ending thanks to a single stray bullet or enemy collision. The shield lets you get away with a lot of aggressive maneuvers that you wouldn't be able to do with options. Building up speed and getting the three-way shot mitigates much of the firepower disadvantage too. It's really scary when you lose your shield and aren't sure when you can get a red bell, though.

Also this game has some of the stupidest recoveries I've ever seen. With that abysmal base movement speed combined with the difficulty of getting speedups (relative to Gradius), good luck recovering from a death past the first two or three stages.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,128,500 - 10 - MAME

Video
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

TwinBee Da! (PSP)
Normal difficulty
Shepardus - 1,625,900 - ALL - PPSSPP v1.2.1

Surprisingly manic for what's ostensibly a remake of a Gameboy game (that last boss in the boss rush...). Also a lot of fun despite being really easy, at least on Normal difficulty (haven't tried Hard yet). I got to the final boss on my first credit and my second, and cleared on my third.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
PowerofElsydeon

Post by PowerofElsydeon »

Update

Dettana Twinbee!
Default difficulty
Bastos - 2400050 - 2-2 - Saturn
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

TwinBee Arcade
KoopaTGR - 1,213,200 - 6 - MAME
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Detana!! TwinBee

Perikles - 1,867,200 - 2-1 - MAME

Video

This will have to do for now. Got my fair share of failed credits out of greed, 'twas time for revenge. I also entered 2-1 with all three lives and lasted slightly over a minute, that's at least 30 seconds better than expected!
Ako

Post by Ako »

detana Image
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Ako wrote:detana Image
Bells and Whistles, eh?
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Goompaolo9500 wrote:
Ako wrote:detana Image
Bells and Whistles, eh?
Take That!
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 1,875,700 - 2-1 - MAME

Video

This has to be the most clutch clear I've gotten in a long time. It may look smoother than some of my other clears, but in a game with no extends and no bombs, you're never more than a couple slip-ups away from a game over.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 1,917,250 - 2-1 - MAME

1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,071,150 - 2-1 - MAME

Had another run yesterday that no-missed to stage 7 and then lost all three lives to the (first!) midboss. This run wasn't quite as good in the first five stages, but got lucky with a star right before the spinning clubs in stage 6 and did well in stage 7 (only thing that could have gone better there was to not shoot past the red on my last bell before the boss). Somehow died once to the stage 2 boss but it didn't cost me that many points since I didn't actually lose my bell chain.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

A little soon to be posting an update, but here we go again:

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,099,400 - 2-1 - MAME

No-missed the first loop for the first time. Had a couple unfortunate bell drops though.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,370,550 - 2-2 - MAME

Twitch highlight (if you see dropped frames, it's not you, it's me and my flaky internet connection)
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,387,450 - 2-1 - MAME

Video

Pretty much my ideal first loop - no-miss and not a single bell dropped. Got too nervous in the second loop and couldn't pull off any good recoveries, though... So close to that top spot, but I guess it will have to wait until I'm a little more consistent at this and have some sort of strategy for the second loop. Also need to check where I'm missing about 200k points in the first loop compared to the highest-scoring replay - I don't think I got that many shields...
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Perikles wrote:Let me know if there are some regional differences in Detana!! TwinBee/Bells & Whistles, or changes when playing on a different format for both of the arcade games.
I played through the World version of Bells & Whistles (apparently in MAME there's also an "Asia" version; I didn't try that). Twitch highlight here. Here's the changes I noticed:
  • Text is translated to English. This includes the title, the opening and ending text, and the text that appears when you grab a powerup.
  • Voice samples are removed. Some, such as the sound for getting three-way shot and the sound when losing an arm, are replaced with sound effects. This makes it marginally harder to tell when you've gotten a powerup because they don't have unique sounds for each of them.
  • Air and ground attack are combined into the same button (both Button 1 and Button 2 perform the same function). When you hold charge shot the ground attack fires at a slow rate, which is pretty inconvenient if, like me, you're used to having independent control over both attacks. Unlike in TwinBee Yahho, you can't exploit the behavior to get both charge shot and rapid shot at the same time.
  • Various enemy and bell layouts are changed in the first four stages. Overall there's more bells and fewer enemies. I didn't notice any changes from the fifth stage onwards, including the second loop (though I only played a little bit of that).
The last point in particular means that Bells & Whistles has a higher scoring potential than Detana!! TwinBee and the scores aren't directly comparable. Even with a couple mistakes I was able to score 1.6 million by the end of stage 4, while in Detana!! TwinBee I only reach that score at the end of stage 5, and that's if I'm doing well. Even the near-WR run linked in the highest-scoring replays thread has only a little over 1.4 million after stage 4.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

TwinBee

Kollision - 3,162,600 - 16 - PSP

Switched the difficulty to Medium since the default in this port is "Easy".
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Shepardus wrote:I played through the World version of Bells & Whistles (apparently in MAME there's also an "Asia" version; I didn't try that). Twitch highlight here.
My highlight got deleted due to a Twitch bug (I just got an email saying that Highlights from expired Past Broadcasts were also expiring and being deleted for broadcasts expiring between February 26 and March 8). If anyone downloaded the highlight I'd like to reupload it, but if not (and I doubt anyone bothered), no big loss either.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,420,050 - 2-2 - MAME

Video

New PB on my 30th 1-ALL of this game (yes, I counted)!
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Detana!! TwinBee
Shepardus - 2,625,300 - 2-2 - MAME

Twitch highlight

Casual credit to distract myself from TwinBee Yahho! turned into my largest improvement to my PB since February. Also like the February run, it happened while I was streaming on Twitch. Streamer luck?

I managed to trigger the extra enemies on stage 5. I still have no idea how that happens.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Detana!! TwinBee
Jaimers - 2,559,550 - 2-2 - ShmupMame 4.2

Video
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Detana!! Twin Bee (arcade defaults)
BareKnuckleRoo - 1,224,600 - Stage 5 (died at boss) - ShmupMAME 4.2

I loathe this game but had to play it for a tourney. The powerup system in this is awful.