Milestone - Influence What Comes Next

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Which Milestone game is your favorite?

Chaos Field
41%
illvelo
7%
Karous
13%
Radirgy
35%
Radirgy Noa
4%

Total votes: 75

gameoverDude

Re: Milestone - Influence What Comes Next

Post by gameoverDude »

Bananamatic wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:
Shepardus wrote: I just want to see how many score digits they can fit on today's 4K displays.
That also. Every GW sequel made the scores more crazy. Generations has scores going into quintillions/kei. Maybe scores in the 10^24 (jo) range for GW4. World record score would probably be something like 1,3200,7839,3400,1000,2350,1070 using the Japanese myriad system. 1,320,078,393,400,100,023,501,070 in the thousands system. 1.32 septillion, whew. Bring that on. :)
you could artificially increase the amount of numbers you get for literally any game
doesn't make it a better game
True, if the game isn't Giga Wing. A Giga Wing game wouldn't be a real one without that as its gimmick. :)
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

M.Knight wrote:What didn't you like about the gameplay though? Are the bullet cancelling mechanics too leniant for you? Or is it something else?
These shmups are mostly about scoring so the game mechanics make survival rather easy, especially in Karous and Illvelo.
I probably wasn't patient enough to delve deeper into the scoring mechanics but for the most part the games felt too easy. I'm not a shmup pro or anything but I need a bit of a challenge in the survival front.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

They're not survival/ALL oriented games, you're supposed to throw yourself 100% into the scoring gameplay, which then becomes a super fun manic wreck 'n cash in party.
Well, at least Radirgy managed to do that brillantly, with the peculiar atmosphere also participating to the experience.
But if you don't involve, and it's the same with Karous, the games have very little interest indeed.

I'm guessing also that if one's hermetic to the graphics style and music to begin, it's really hard to even want to try further.
I mean probably over half of the shmups crowd are into metal n'stuff rather than this, so the Milestone touch can be repulsive for a lot.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Yeah, it is not surprising to be disappointed if you were looking for a challenge survival-wise.
The only Milestone shmup that actively enforces a harsher survival difficulty is Radirgy Noa because the only way to cancel bullets in that game is with the bomb which has to be recharged, unlike Chaos Field's windshield sweeper and ability to stay in Order Field, or Radirgy/Karous/Illvelo's shield. It may sound good in theory but the result is a game that's not as fun because you have to learn when to use the bomb to stand a chance in later levels and if you deviate from the timing, you're likely fucked.

When trying to score, Milestone shmups can become very frantic, especially near the end. Getting the sword to level 50 in Karous means you can gleefully slash the fuck out of everything, Radirgy's later stages are a non-stop extravaganza of bombing and using the invincibility to slash as many ennemies as possible, and Illvelo's stage 5 can get very fast-paced when trying to quick-kill as many mid-bosses as possible with the detachable modules to cash-in the key multiplier accumulated all throughout the run.
Xyga wrote:I mean probably over half of the shmups crowd are into metal n'stuff rather than this, so the Milestone touch can be repulsive for a lot.
Oh yeah, I never thought about that, but that can play a big role in why Milestone's shmups are niche even here. Their games' atmosphere are the polar opposite of something like Thunder Force.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
90hell0

Post by 90hell0 »

I really love Milestones arcade games.
I voted for radigry noa. I like chaos fields feel and music but
have not so much fun as i do with radigry noa and kaurous.

I think the art style put people off, but people need to calm down and play the games.
They are worth your time! (but see to it you get a good port)
KAI

Post by KAI »

Spoiler
!!!!!!!!!
The recent k.h.d.n. activity on twitter is getting me all hyped up.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

It's not only 1 game....
become history
zak

Post by zak »

Shou, all this teasing has given me arcade blue balls :lol:
d0s