gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
spray

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by spray »

superg wrote:
spray wrote: Thanks. Could this get added to the top post?
EDIT: or the store page?
I have yet to see somebody actually using that port, might get removed later.
I'm going to make a dumb override for my PS2 since it is sometimes sync-on-green. SCART passthrough will use 5v to bring override high and set input 0.
superg

Post by superg »

spray wrote: I'm going to make a dumb override for my PS2 since it is sometimes sync-on-green. SCART passthrough will use 5v to bring override high and set input 0.
Ok, so you very well might be the first one, let me know how that goes! :)
gordon-creAtive

Post by gordon-creAtive »

superg wrote:
spray wrote: Thanks. Could this get added to the top post?
EDIT: or the store page?
I have yet to see somebody actually using that port, might get removed later.
I want to use it to automatically switch sources on my BVM, but I haven't found the time to work on that yet.
superg

Post by superg »

Basscross64 wrote:Hi

I've been using the GSCART_lite and it's been fantastic. The only caveat is I'm having strange sync issues with my Nintendo 64. In certain games like Banjo-Kazooie the intro has sync problems near the top of the screen that don't exist when directly connected to my monitor. The sync stripper switch on the GSCART fixes the issues but I find it odd that having the GSCART as an intermediary would cause problems that don't exist otherwise. (Or maybe they do and the GSCART exposes them?)

I'm using the Videogameperfection Nintendo 64 RGB board using buffered Csync with J2 jumpered to bypass the 220µF capacitor as it was causing other sync issues. I take responsibility for the installation so this could be my fault, but I'm more so looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and see if this is normal or not.

*edit* I've read about switches not liking the Nintendo 64's CSync in particular. Would using sync on luma possibly correct these issues?
So I've installed the same N64 RGB board from videogameperfection and I don't have any issues. The board from videogameperfection comes preconfigured for NTSC SNES SCART cable, is it the one you are using?
If you want to use PAL cable you will have to change couple resistors and capacitors on the board, more information here: https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... mpleRGBamp
My N64 is NUS-CPU-03 version and I used stock CSYNC signal available on that revision (this is recommended by borti) thus CS pin on the board isn't connected. If your revision is late and you can't benefit from stock N64 CSYNC I'd suggest either to try to restore original csync (possible on some models) or you will have to analyse your mod sync and cable and find what is going on there.
Other than that you can try to use sync from CVBS or luma but I haven't tried that.
Lumstick182

Post by Lumstick182 »

Just got into upscaling, I definitely want one of these. Any clue when there will be more available?
superg

Post by superg »

superg wrote:

I've been using the GSCART_lite and it's been fantastic. The only caveat is I'm having strange sync issues with my Nintendo 64. In certain games like Banjo-Kazooie the intro has sync problems near the top of the screen that don't exist when directly connected to my monitor. The sync stripper switch on the GSCART fixes the issues but I find it odd that having the GSCART as an intermediary would cause problems that don't exist otherwise. (Or maybe they do and the GSCART exposes them?)

I'm using the Videogameperfection Nintendo 64 RGB board using buffered Csync with J2 jumpered to bypass the 220µF capacitor as it was causing other sync issues. I take responsibility for the installation so this could be my fault, but I'm more so looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and see if this is normal or not.

*edit* I've read about switches not liking the Nintendo 64's CSync in particular. Would using sync on luma possibly correct these issues?
So I've installed the same N64 RGB board from videogameperfection and I don't have any issues. The board from videogameperfection comes preconfigured for NTSC SNES SCART cable, is it the one you are using?
If you want to use PAL cable you will have to change couple resistors and capacitors on the board, more information here: https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... mpleRGBamp
My N64 is NUS-CPU-03 version and I used stock CSYNC signal available on that revision (this is recommended by borti) thus CS pin on the board isn't connected. If your revision is late and you can't benefit from stock N64 CSYNC I'd suggest either to try to restore original csync (possible on some models) or you will have to analyse your mod sync and cable and find what is going on there.
Other than that you can try to use sync from CVBS or luma but I haven't tried that.
Also I've just tried Banjo Kazooie on mentioned N64 connected to OSSC with gscartsw_lite (sync regeneration aka CS is off) - I see no issues.
Rev

Post by Rev »

Hey, I'm new here... I've been reading the thread to try and understand the process for obtaining a gscartsw. Do you do reserves or simply post on this thread when they are available?

Interested in getting one but understand that you probably wait until a certain demand for your product is met before getting everything you need for to make them.Thanks for the help!
superg

Post by superg »

I will put extra gscartsw_lite units on sale next Wednesday, around 10:00am (EST).
I don't have many and I apologise for that before they sell in a minute!
After that I will be planning the next batch.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

Great news, I'll try to make it! :)
kennygunit

Post by kennygunit »

Good to hear...what's the process for ordering? Which website should we look out for them? Can i pre-order now? ;)
spray

Post by spray »

kennygunit wrote:Good to hear...what's the process for ordering? Which website should we look out for them? Can i pre-order now? ;)
Look at first post in this thread.
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

superg wrote:
superg wrote:

Also I've just tried Banjo Kazooie on mentioned N64 connected to OSSC with gscartsw_lite (sync regeneration aka CS is off) - I see no issues.
I'm back to give my results with getting a new cable, and that's that everything works perfectly now! The male SCART to BNC cable that Retrogamingcables sells has sync and audio connected to a current direction switch and mine wasn't manufactured properly. This also fixed my Nintendo 64 sync issues, though now I wonder if I should open the jumper J2 to use the capacitor on the sync line. There are no issues with any consoles now so I'll leave it unless something happens. Also thankfully no hardware was damaged by the cable and I'm getting a full refund.

Thank you for the help, SuperG and thank you for the great product.
buckieretro1984

Post by buckieretro1984 »

superg wrote:I will put extra gscartsw_lite units on sale next Wednesday, around 10:00am (EST).
I don't have many and I apologise for that before they sell in a minute!
After that I will be planning the next batch.
Cant wait looking forward to seeing this
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Hi!

About two years ago I bought two gscartsw switches (of which I've only used one thus far), since I installed it it has become an integral part of my setup. However, I have recently been thinking about the LPF function in the switch and how to circumvent it. I came across this post from RetroRGB: http://retrorgb.com/gscartswlpf.html, but have not been able to try it yet since I can't seem to find a 2 positioned, 3 pole, on-off switch.

I understad that the gscart lite doesn't have a low pass filter and therefore wouldn't alter the image quality like the gscartsw (if only slightly). I am therefore considering to buy a gscart lite. However, I am not super keen on buying a set of two switches this time around again. So I am wondering if there is a way to chain the gscart lite and sw without the LPF affecting the chain and end signal? Can the sw be modified somehow in order to remove LPF and basically only act as a pass through device of sorts?
msmthng

Post by msmthng »

I the gscartsw somewhere available? Thx
superg

Post by superg »

ViraLicious wrote: I understad that the gscart lite doesn't have a low pass filter and therefore wouldn't alter the image quality like the gscartsw (if only slightly). I am therefore considering to buy a gscart lite. However, I am not super keen on buying a set of two switches this time around again. So I am wondering if there is a way to chain the gscart lite and sw without the LPF affecting the chain and end signal? Can the sw be modified somehow in order to remove LPF and basically only act as a pass through device of sorts?
You don't need a 2pos switch, you can just disable it permanently. There is no other way unfortunately.
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

superg wrote:
ViraLicious wrote: I understad that the gscart lite doesn't have a low pass filter and therefore wouldn't alter the image quality like the gscartsw (if only slightly). I am therefore considering to buy a gscart lite. However, I am not super keen on buying a set of two switches this time around again. So I am wondering if there is a way to chain the gscart lite and sw without the LPF affecting the chain and end signal? Can the sw be modified somehow in order to remove LPF and basically only act as a pass through device of sorts?
You don't need a 2pos switch, you can just disable it permanently. There is no other way unfortunately.
Thank you for your reply!

In order to disable it, you only need to remove the resistor Bob is referring to in his post?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ViraLicious wrote:Thank you for your reply!

In order to disable it, you only need to remove the resistor Bob is referring to in his post?
And jump the pin’s pad (the pad nearest the “R39” text on my unit) to +5V
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

DirkSwizzler wrote:

Jump the pins pad?

Is there perhaps a tutorial or something one could look at? I'm new at modding and stuff like this. :)
superg

Post by superg »

ViraLicious wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:

Jump the pins pad?

Is there perhaps a tutorial or something one could look at? I'm new at modding and stuff like this. :)
Following retrorgb guide you just have to make a connection between blue and grey wire omitting the switch: use one wire which goes from the other floating side of R39 to EXT pin 4. If you never soldered anything before I'd suggest to find somebody who can do that for you.
zoopster

Post by zoopster »

I've got a gscartsw_lite used with a BVM D24. I'm using a Core Grafx PC Engine with an RGB mod and SCART cable. When I connect the SCART cable to a TV or to a manual SCART switch (good old Hama AV connector) to the BVM I get a good RGB signal, but when I connect via the gscartsw_lite no image at all. I've tested switching on other RGB sources connected to the gscartsw_lite after the Core Grax is turned on and they appear fine. Any ideas what may be the problem?

Thanks
John
crieke

Post by crieke »

Unfortunately I was not fast enough to order a gscartsw lite. :(
If it goes on sale again, you can count me in for an order.
superg

Post by superg »

The sale is live, I've also put some extra gcompsw I've had, just 3 units.
ghairat

Post by ghairat »

Wow!
It says to me it is sold out
DemoNight

Post by DemoNight »

superg wrote:The sale is live, I've also put some extra gcompsw I've had, just 3 units.

After striking out on Saturn and Dreamcast ODE for like 3 months now i'm glad I got the gscart order in on the first try. Also grabbed the comp switch. The idea for me is to run all my scart consoles into the scartsw then run the output into a scart to component switch, then run that into the compsw along with my gamecube wii and OG Xbox. Hope it works the way i'm thinking it will
Last edited by DemoNight on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeana

Post by Aeana »

Man, they sold out fast! Disappeared while I was in between the confirmation screen and finishing checking out. :( Oh well.
ghairat

Post by ghairat »

It sold out way to fast....
Lumstick182

Post by Lumstick182 »

superg wrote:The sale is live, I've also put some extra gcompsw I've had, just 3 units.
Got my order in, very excited to add this to my setup!
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Wow that made getting a GDEMU feel easy haha, less than a minute! Bring on the next batch mate :D
superg

Post by superg »

Yeah, everything is sold out, it was just the extra units I kept as a backup in case of lost package.
I'm planning a new batch.