The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mortificator

Re: The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Post by Mortificator »

Right now I'll go with Egyptian god / baboon / Reading Rainbow sponsor

RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
drauch

Post by drauch »

Hey folks, just picked up Soul Hackers on 3DS and i'm pretty inexperienced with the series. Just a bit over an hour in and not too deep into anything, so I probably haven't screwed up too much thus far. Any tips to make the most out of my characters, what to look out for, etc? Treat me like the scrub I am.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

drauch wrote:Hey folks, just picked up Soul Hackers on 3DS and i'm pretty inexperienced with the series. Just a bit over an hour in and not too deep into anything, so I probably haven't screwed up too much thus far. Any tips to make the most out of my characters, what to look out for, etc? Treat me like the scrub I am.
Nemissa and the MC can lay waste to most mobs on their own. MC can only attack, so make sure Nemissa has good buff spells. You may want to research her magic tree options. Tarukaja and Rakukaja are a must if you want to make the game a cinch. SH isn't very hard at all, but it does have a few brutal spikes(hi Erika).

Tarukaja can go to +4 with attack buffs, turning the MC into a killing machine. Pair that with Rakunda(Def down) and most bosses go down in seconds.

As for your party's demons, the loyalty system is pretty easy to break. You can buy items or liquor that will make them love you. But again, only use them for boss fights, or you'll go through MAG like candy. (MAG is the demon summoning currency, it's used up while they're active.) Victor eventually gives you a Zoma that has no MAG cost, so it's great for a support role. Mine had healing and buff/debuff spells.

Also, you can get a lot of MAG from negotiation, so that works too. Ask demons for it and you'll never run out. There's a shop in town that trades MAG for yen as well, and the exchange rate is nuts, like 1:10, so you'll never go broke that way.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
drauch

Post by drauch »

Perfect. Thanks a bunch!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

SMT V will be localized, Nintendo posted the previous trailer in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TepXZN3Pw8o
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
ryu

Post by ryu »

what a surprise!
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So Redux is out in Japan, anyone have an insight into how good it is past surface tier trash reviews?

I need a new DS RPG but can't choose between Strange Journey or Etrian 2.
Reckon I should wait for Redux?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I can only give you my opinions on the original game, not on any enhancements that may have been made in the Deluxe port. I've heard that previous similar projects like the Devil Survivor ports maintained pretty much everything of the original games, and only added some bonus content.

Strange Journey uses the Etrian Odyssey game engine, with a classic style Megami Tensei battle system. (Collect demons, they may get skills at random from leveling up, fuse them together to transfer skills or make stronger demons etc.) The theme feels very isolating, like you're exploring an alien world on your own.

If you like pure dungeon crawling and aren't burnt out on Megami style games, it can be a good use of your time.

(I'd recommend the port currently if you're interested - the DS version's ~$40 still so why pay more to get less. Hopefully they haven't neutered asura roga so you can know what true suffering is like.)

(...reading about it some looks like they did make it easier in the normal difficulties. Giving the option of not getting wiped out if your human dies during battle. A fun nefarious feature of the original game was one of the final bosses could and would eat your main character at random, there was nothing you could do to stop it, and it was an instant game over.)

__

(This whole spectrum from Total Isolation to Swamped With Humans is an interesting feature of things. Devil Survivor 2's huge playable cast takes away the intimate "pack of wolves/band of brothers" kind of vibe the original game had. A similar thing happened with the theme in the Diablo series when the world was expanded in the sequel - sometimes by adding something you lose something.)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BryanM wrote: aren't burnt out on Megami style games, it can be a good use of your time.
Ooh. There's a point. Maybe I just want my characters to stay static and growing rather than fusing/swapping in new demons all the time.

I'd like to know which is easier between the two games actually. That might influence my choice. Sacrilege but I'd pick the easier one atm :wink:

Oh I guess that settles it.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3545/
An English translation patch for the SFC title Last Bible III is now available. Not a SMT game, but it's an Atlus game with demons, so...
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Aw, I would have played the hell out of that if it had came out 20 years earlier. The Last Bible franchise had such a small window of relevancy - back when the only other options for Gameboy RPGs were SaGa, Glory of Hercales, or to go fist yourself. And of course Revelations was released here only after the Pokemon nuclear bomb was dropped.

It's mind blowing that an entire 10 years passed between SaGa and the Dragon Quest 3 Remake+Demake came out. It's hard to deny Atlus really blew a window of opportunity there - in an alternate dimension it's Demon Kids that's all the rage. (Which would have given those "Pokemon is devil worship" fundamentalists a bit more of a point.)

The translation for the original NES Megami Tensei came out just this January. The patch for the Megami 1+2 remake has been out for only three years.

I have no idea on the translation status of the original novels. Normally I'd be quite interested in these sorts of reverse isekai's, but it isn't the 90's anymore. The to-do stack is not as barren as it was back in those dark ages.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I read the first Megami Tensei novel in English some years ago, and I'm not sure if the translation or the original writing was to blame, but it was absolutely terrible. And while we're on novels that birthed Japanese RPGs, so was Parasite Eve.

Anyway, it amuses me that this subseries has both a game called Last Bible and one called Another Bible.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Terrible, you say? Damnit, I love terrible things. On the stack it goes...
Another Bible
It's also another genre the Gameboy library completely blows at. Where are the GB Shining Forces? Fire Emblems? Tactics Ogres?

Why, they're right there in Another Bible. Isn't it just as good? y/n?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The weird title names and that old Pokemon devil worship story makes me wonder if making a game in Japan with Buddhist references, good or bad, would raise so much hell like it happens with Christianity and Islam.
I wonder if people in the 70's found Tezuka's Buddha manga offensive (great read, by the way).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

soprano1 wrote:The weird title names and that old Pokemon devil worship story makes me wonder if making a game in Japan with Buddhist references, good or bad, would raise so much hell like it happens with Christianity and Islam.
I doubt it, stuff like that has been in Japanese games forever (Jigoku Meguri comes most quickly to mind, though I'm sure it's neither the oldest nor the most directly referential), and whatever protests might have arisen certainly don't seem to have had much effect.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
soprano1 wrote:The weird title names and that old Pokemon devil worship story makes me wonder if making a game in Japan with Buddhist references, good or bad, would raise so much hell like it happens with Christianity and Islam.
I doubt it, stuff like that has been in Japanese games forever (Jigoku Meguri comes most quickly to mind, though I'm sure it's neither the oldest nor the most directly referential), and whatever protests might have arisen certainly don't seem to have had much effect.
I see, it's exclusive to Abrahamic religions then. Which is funny, considering that in these games God is always an asshole.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Nothing is a simple homogenous blob. Some countries deport tourists for taking photos of themselves next to a reclining buddha statue in the same pose. All opinions are held.

USA fundamentalism is perhaps a rather aggressive strain of insularism. Just think of the pilgrims - a group of people who were welcomed by Sweden. But instead of having their kids grow up Swedish and possibly ending up dancing (an unforgivable sin, worthy of being burnt at the stake), chose to face near certain drowning on the boat trip to the new world and the probable subsequent starvation of a barren unknown land if by some miracle they managed to make it.

Even most of these people when they say "Pokémon is devil worship" or something like that, don't mean you're literally in the corner saying "hail Satan". But that they believe that you're not supposed to take any joy in life except for the worship of Yahweh. Not in work, not in books, not in sex, nothing. One story that lingers with me is that time a girl from the Quiverfull sect had written a fantasy novel hundreds of pages long, and her father burned it in front of her. (The sad thing is that's not the worst thing her parents did to her.)

But Buddhism certainly has its own cults too. Sheesh, just turning the philosophy into a religion in the first place is a huge fraud.

Reminds me of that Catholic tenet of poverty/ascetic modesty. While their pope lives in a city covered in gold. Bunch of phonies.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I guess that's true as well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BryanM wrote: Even most of these people when they say "Pokémon is devil worship" or something like that, don't mean you're literally in the corner saying "hail Satan". But that they believe that you're not supposed to take any joy in life except for the worship of Yahweh. Not in work, not in books, not in sex, nothing. One story that lingers with me is that time a girl from the Quiverfull sect had written a fantasy novel hundreds of pages long, and her father burned it in front of her. (The sad thing is that's not the worst thing her parents did to her.)
That's exactly the issue. As Christians (meaning myself and other Christians), we are supposed to take joy in life in everything we do (not a simple task), but many who claim to be Christian instead do just the opposite. Also, the Bible never says anything to discourage dancing, but the warning against it comes from one verse taken out of context that doesn't even warn against dancing.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

SJR was leaked. Oh well. Release date is the 15th, for those who are interested in buying it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I'm still playing SMT4 Final :lol:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I'll just replay the original.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Welp. new ones out.

Apparently, shock horror, it's a bit easier!
You can save at any point or something.

Anyone picked it up?

Edit: actually the fact there's added content would steer me towards starting with Redux over original!
tnc

Post by tnc »

Did anyone play the smartphone game? https://d2-megaten-l.sega.com
The english version will be released next week. It's a free to play game but hopefully it turns out good.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

currently replaying P5 on Merciless difficulty (without ng+ carryover), first run on Hard took me 85 hours, idk how iconoclast took over 130 because there's practically no optional content
iconoclast wrote: - Being able to buy an accessory that has Invigorate 3 kinda breaks the balance. I didn't really care about any of the accessories I got afterward since none of them were going to be better than getting 7 SP back every turn
merciless+no SP regen accessories+minimal days per palace is a decent challenge
but even then it's still a bit too easy for megaten, the only challenging parts are the 1st palace minus the boss, 2nd palace boss and then nothing until 7th palace end bosses
I hope they milk it with something else than those boring dancing games, would probably get the fighting game if there's going to be one
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Bananamatic wrote:idk how iconoclast took over 130 because there's practically no optional content
Probably going around talking to all of the NPCs once I see they have new dialogue, listening to all voiced lines, fully exploring each dungeon, etc. I usually take some time to decide what to do as well (activities / demon fusions). This is the type of game I wouldn't want to miss anything in on my first play through so I went slow.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

tnc wrote:Did anyone play the smartphone game? https://d2-megaten-l.sega.com
The english version will be released next week. It's a free to play game but hopefully it turns out good.
I only played it a small bit since the load times were atrocious on the emulator I was using at the time. Haven't tried it on LD Player yet - It didn't seem great or too horrible.

On a basic level there isn't a lot of appeal there for me imo. Similar but better Megaten games exist out there, and more. The niche this sells to would be people who only have a cell phone as a portable game device and aren't hooked on something else.

Which is probably for the best - if it were good and served as a Forever Game, it'd cannibalize all your time for churning through the millions of other games in the franchise. Sure, maybe you've played through a Devil Survivor.. but have you played, THE GBC MEGATEN CARDGAME YET?!¿¡ ... because I haven't. Past the tutorial battle, I mean...
tnc

Post by tnc »

BryanM wrote:I only played it a small bit since the load times were atrocious on the emulator I was using at the time. Haven't tried it on LD Player yet - It didn't seem great or too horrible.

On a basic level there isn't a lot of appeal there for me imo. Similar but better Megaten games exist out there, and more. The niche this sells to would be people who only have a cell phone as a portable game device and aren't hooked on something else.

Which is probably for the best - if it were good and served as a Forever Game, it'd cannibalize all your time for churning through the millions of other games in the franchise. Sure, maybe you've played through a Devil Survivor.. but have you played, THE GBC MEGATEN CARDGAME YET?!¿¡ ... because I haven't. Past the tutorial battle, I mean...
I played it for a couple of days then deleted it. Overall I can't say it was enjoyable, especially the story quests.