Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Yeah lol. I got rid of a couple of those HD CRT beasts due to space not that long ago. Just donated them. It was actually hard to find a place that would take them actually.

I have a similar tv (maybe identical I don't remember for sure) to the first one you listed and it rocks. Only problem with mine is that it has some overscan issues on the left side. I went into the service menu and fixed it as best I could but it's still missing some picture there. It's not too noticeable in most applications. I wasn't even all that aware of it until I was checking the liner notes on an anime dvd and the text was cut off.

I have pvms and I will say you aren't missing much especially compared to nice VGA CRT monitors. I have a junky pack-in compaq monitor like the one you picked up and it looks great with old games. I've never been a huge scanline guy though.

I wish thrift stores would even take in old PC monitors. Based on when I was calling around about donating tvs I doubt most do. So they probably end up getting junked. :( They are small enough that I would hoard a few more of them. XD
Yeah I've seen couple setups by now of people rocking a KV-xxFS120 and it looks really damn good.

For playing emulators, I miss my viewsonic pc crt I had when I was a teen, That was a perfect setup for this
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Iirc the one I have is KV-27FS100.

Not sure the exact differences between 100 and 120 but it looks good.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Yeah lol. I got rid of a couple of those HD CRT beasts due to space not that long ago. Just donated them. It was actually hard to find a place that would take them actually.

I have a similar tv (maybe identical I don't remember for sure) to the first one you listed and it rocks. Only problem with mine is that it has some overscan issues on the left side. I went into the service menu and fixed it as best I could but it's still missing some picture there. It's not too noticeable in most applications. I wasn't even all that aware of it until I was checking the liner notes on an anime dvd and the text was cut off.

I have pvms and I will say you aren't missing much especially compared to nice VGA CRT monitors. I have a junky pack-in compaq monitor like the one you picked up and it looks great with old games. I've never been a huge scanline guy though.

I wish thrift stores would even take in old PC monitors. Based on when I was calling around about donating tvs I doubt most do. So they probably end up getting junked. :( They are small enough that I would hoard a few more of them. XD

They're just giving away TVs that are 32inches are bigger. Wish I could go get them but they're just far too big and heavy to just pick up and take home.

The geometry problems I have with my TVs are hardly noticeable during game play unless your looking for it. The only reason why I know they are there is because I tested them out with the 240p suite. Other than that I would have a hard time even noticing there was issues.

So far since I got the PC monitors the 15inch HP monitor came closest to looking like the 14inch security monitor I use to own when I was a teen. The only difference was that there was a lot more bloom on that old security monitor. I'm guessing the composite input contributed to that. Both pictures compare similarly though.... that nostalgia is starting to come back to me now :lol:

But yhaa if thrift stores are no longer taking in old CRT monitors it would be a shame to see all those monitors thrown out.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Works great on my "modded" SNES and Super NT.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I didn't know there were carts like that. Is it a mod?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:I didn't know there were carts like that. Is it a mod?
No, it's an official SFC cart that only came out in Japan (though I heard somewhere that there may have been a small number sold for the US on QVC, not 100% sure on that). It's similar to the first model, but runs games at the correct speed, has a link port (Game Boy Pocket/GBC style, though like the first SGB, it can't play GBC only games or show GBC color palettes), and has exclusive borders for a handful of games (Tetris DX is one of them, not sure about the other ones). SNES Space Invaders is still playable from the US/EU SI cart (JP version is different and has no SGB features), AFAIK the only SGB game with an actual SNES game on the cart, as well as the normal SGB pallets and borders.

As far I could tell, there's no language barrier and the menus are very similar to the first model. Menu is still brought up with L and R with the same options available as the first SGB, including controller configuration. Some of the borders are different.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BrianC wrote:No, it's an official SFC cart that only came out in Japan (though I heard somewhere that there may have been a small number sold for the US on QVC, not 100% sure on that). It's similar to the first model, but runs games at the correct speed, has a link port (Game Boy Pocket/GBC style, though like the first SGB, it can't play GBC only games or show GBC color palettes), and has exclusive borders for a handful of games (Tetris DX is one of them, not sure about the other ones). SNES Space Invaders is still playable from the US/EU SI cart (JP version is different and has no SGB features), AFAIK the only SGB game with an actual SNES game on the cart, as well as the normal SGB pallets and borders.

As far I could tell, there's no language barrier and the menus are very similar to the first model. Menu is still brought up with L and R with the same options available as the first SGB, including controller configuration. Some of the borders are different.
Wow, I did not know that. The more you learn...
caincan

Post by caincan »

stack the idols

Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hah, I saw that one on Reddit and a few other places, it's really been making rounds.
Almost thought your post was a joke, but your username and avatar lines up with one of the guys on NintendoAge, so I'm assuming you're the same person :)

Did you ever find out exactly what chemical it was? :3
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Probably highly concentrated snortable 80's

Dopest game ever.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Anyone mind filling me in on what's those carts? I suspect someone tried to smuggle drugs or something on NES carts, although that seems like a stretch.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Well it's either that, or someone told them they needed blow in the cartridge to get the games working.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:Well it's either that, or someone told them they needed blow in the cartridge to get the games working.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

Where can I get such cartridges? At least one of these would be fine....for now
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Sumez wrote:Hah, I saw that one on Reddit and a few other places, it's really been making rounds.
Almost thought your post was a joke, but your username and avatar lines up with one of the guys on NintendoAge, so I'm assuming you're the same person :)

Did you ever find out exactly what chemical it was? :3
Yeah. I was with my twin brother at the flea market on April 1 (HAD to be on that day, right?) when we found the heavy games on the cheap rack at our friend's booth. Our friend couldn't find his gamebit screwdriver, so we bought the games from him and promised to show him whatever we found inside.

Julian / Emmett Turner is my brother (aka "CZroe"). He recorded the video of the cartridge shells being opened and of me cutting into one of the packets.

Police haven't contacted us back. We haven't heard what it is. People have said a dozen different things, but the more authoritative suggestions have said it's heroin.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Holy shit. :shock:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

A Sony consumer crt. I am in love with this set!

Link of the full-sized pic above : https://i.cubeupload.com/1bnNbK.jpg
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Looks nice!

What kind of inputs are you using?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Shelcoof wrote:Looks nice!

What kind of inputs are you using?
I'm using RGB.

This is a Sony KV-25XBR and it's one of the handful of North American Sony sets that have an RGB input.

Basically, any very good consumer Trinitron that's modded for RGB should look something like this (using a good RGB to component converter on one should get you fairly close)
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Looked up the set and holy crap is that an old TV.

Still looking very impressive.

Now that I look back almost all the Sony Trinitrons I've had growing always had great pictures. This through composite when I was a kid. It looked even better when I learned about S-Video
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah it's an 86-88 set :mrgreen:
It's awesome! very crisp and rich, accurate picture. Doesn't have a gigantic horizontal resolution(but still decently high), but I actually like that. Looks so lovely
It outputs so much light, the white spots are so bright on this set! I swear if I stared at a full white picture on it for 30 seconds, my retinas would fry, haha. That tube is really cooking

I love shadow mask sets too, but there's no denying that Trinitrons look awesome. Very sharp sets, very clean looking picture and they get bright as hell! We had only one at my old folks, when I was a late teen. It looked pretty crisp!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I think all my crt pc monitors are all shadow mask.

I've never had the chance to compare an aperture grille to a shadow mask crt monitor

I'm not sure if my monitors are just old but I find the colors contrast and brightness lacking

Then again it may just be me not knowing how to optimize the picture
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Latest cheap DVD fill of mine.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

been on a Techno and Jack Kirby kick lately- fun stuff.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

scrilla4rella wrote:been on a Techno and Jack Kirby kick lately- fun stuff.
I have the Teenage Engineering Rhythm machine and it's pretty good fun.
More Bromances = safer people
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

MintyTheCat wrote:
I have the Teenage Engineering Rhythm machine and it's pretty good fun.
Oh yeah, these things are great! It took me awhile to get used to the sequencer but now I'm majorly addicted and want to get their sampler.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

cool. I have been reading "The Demon". "Gone gone the form of man, rise the Demon Etrigan!"
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

BrianC wrote:
cool. I have been reading "The Demon". "Gone gone the form of man, rise the Demon Etrigan!"
Nice. "The Demon" is great. I think Kirby is actually underrated as a writer. Have you read his Kamandi? I'm thinking of picking up that omnibus but don't know if the quality is as high as his other DC work.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

scrilla4rella wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Nice. "The Demon" is great. I think Kirby is actually underrated as a writer. Have you read his Kamandi? I'm thinking of picking up that omnibus but don't know if the quality is as high as his other DC work.
I haven't read it, but the Batman the Brave and the Bold animated series got me interested in it.