Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SlightlyObsessed

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by SlightlyObsessed »

My shipment must be on the same tour as loukey’s and Koa Zo’s.....My unit left Spain on the 29th as well...
broken

Post by broken »

Before you guys just start charging back your purchases, I would suggest reaching out to Alex about the orders.

Also, if you picked Correos as the shipping option, I have some experience with them when I bought my NEOSD back in 2016. 1. It took a solid 2 weeks to be delivered in the USA. 2. At no point during that time did the USPS website ever show a status of the tracking number. To this date it still doesn’t.

So just because the USPS site doesn’t currently show it being in their possession doesn’t mean it isn’t on its way. Others have reported the same thing. This is one of several reasons TerraOnion is dumping Correos shipping and now use DHL for speedier shipments with better tracking.

Also, just as an FYI, our support Forums are just about finished. I am hoping Alex will formally announce them in the next day or two.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

broken wrote: Also, just as an FYI, our support Forums are just about finished. I am hoping Alex will formally announce them in the next day or two.
"our"?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

So is this notorious buzz more prevalent on the v2? I haven’t used my v1 much because of the sync issues on my bvm so haven’t had much experience yet
loukey

Post by loukey »

broken wrote:Before you guys just start charging back your purchases, I would suggest reaching out to Alex about the orders.

Also, if you picked Correos as the shipping option, I have some experience with them when I bought my NEOSD back in 2016. 1. It took a solid 2 weeks to be delivered in the USA. 2. At no point during that time did the USPS website ever show a status of the tracking number. To this date it still doesn’t.

So just because the USPS site doesn’t currently show it being in their possession doesn’t mean it isn’t on its way. Others have reported the same thing. This is one of several reasons TerraOnion is dumping Correos shipping and now use DHL for speedier shipments with better tracking.

Also, just as an FYI, our support Forums are just about finished. I am hoping Alex will formally announce them in the next day or two.
Oh, I have no intention of trying a chargeback quite yet; that’s pretty much last option. I first contacted local postal service who says it’s lost, then their national office who also says it’s lost. I just heard back from Terraonion that they don’t believe the USPS people and say that it will still likely arrive, so I’m planning on giving it a couple more weeks to see if that happens as I’d imagine they’ve had these issues in the past.

Outbursts on forums aside, the TerraOnion guys seem to be providing good customer service. They voluntarily halted their shipment (at likely large financial cost) and redesigned the board so our RGB would look better. Many other small companies would have silently made a revision 2 and screwed the early adopters. When alerted that the one cap was malpositioned, they apparently went and hand resoldered them on correctly. Once again, many others would have just had it corrected in the next batch rather than putting forth the extra effort. As of now I feel they’ve earned my trust that they will make it right even if the shitty postal service lost it. Only if they become unresponsive or unreasonable at some point would I plan on taking it up with the credit company.

Edit: After rereading my response I feel that I should clarify that while
I think their customer service has been quite good, I do believe there is some room for improvement in quality assurance.
broken

Post by broken »

The official TerraOnion support forums are now open!

https://forums.terraonion.com/
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

SavagePencil wrote:
broken wrote: Also, just as an FYI, our support Forums are just about finished. I am hoping Alex will formally announce them in the next day or two.
"our"?
broken = Yodd = Todd = Todd's Nerd Cave = Moderator at the Terra Onion forum
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

loukey wrote:
broken wrote:Before you guys just start charging back your purchases, I would suggest reaching out to Alex about the orders.

Oh, I have no intention of trying a chargeback quite yet; that’s pretty much last option. I first contacted local postal service who says it’s lost, then their national office who also says it’s lost. I just heard back from Terraonion that they don’t believe the USPS people and say that it will still likely arrive, so I’m planning on giving it a couple more weeks to see if that happens as I’d imagine they’ve had these issues in the past.

Outbursts on forums aside, the TerraOnion guys seem to be providing good customer service. They voluntarily halted their shipment (at likely large financial cost) and redesigned the board so our RGB would look better. Many other small companies would have silently made a revision 2 and screwed the early adopters. When alerted that the one cap was malpositioned, they apparently went and hand resoldered them on correctly. Once again, many others would have just had it corrected in the next batch rather than putting forth the extra effort. As of now I feel they’ve earned my trust that they will make it right even if the shitty postal service lost it. Only if they become unresponsive or unreasonable at some point would I plan on taking it up with the credit company.

Edit: After rereading my response I feel that I should clarify that while
I think their customer service has been quite good, I do believe there is some room for improvement in quality assurance.
TerraOnion = good customer service, laugh. They halted their shipment because they put out a completely faulty and broken product, after being told about it for months on this very forum. All the while blaming their customers for their own problems.

What other gaming company do you think would do this? Put out a non-working product and then say ha ha screw you? By the way it's been months and still no word on actually getting a fixed product in the hands of their customers...

On the 2nd revision, they were inept enough to put a chip on the wrong way, another problem they were notified about months ago and ignored (this very thread again). Then when pointed out, the owner went on a hissy fit talking about customers are preventing him from family time. How about you test something before you put it out?

The video is still screwed up (diagonal lines on solid colors on almost every single system), the audio is completely screwed up (annoying constant buzzing), and what are people who have the 2nd revision supposed to do about the faulty composite chip? Learn to solder themselves and flip it?!, that's quite the product.

If this were some cheapo 100-200$ product, ok give them the benefit of the doubt. But this thing is nearly 330$ us shipped.

I won't even go into the total cesspool site they voluntarily decided to use. Being attacked and banned if you dare say anything they don't agree with.

So no, the rollout of this device has been a complete disaster, sorry to say. I will expect an audio fix soon or I'll be demanding a full refund. And if that doesn't work, I'll be charging back my card, as it's my right to do so as a consumer.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

You starting this again? lol
strygo

Post by strygo »

Xer Xian wrote:You starting this again? lol
I can't find a way to do it from the web, but you can block people using Tapatalk and it takes effect everywhere, including the web. 8)
JBC

Post by JBC »

My SSDS3 works great & the video looks spectacular through the HD Retrovision cable. Ive gotten nothing but enjoyment out of it & am glad Terraonion were responsible enough to delay my shipment in order to send the best product they could. It was worth the wait & worth every penny I put into it. If there's something technically wrong with it I haven't noticed because I've been too busy having a blast playing games. They did a great job & it's a great product.
Godzilla was an inside job
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

i'll stop when they fix their product.
donluca

Post by donluca »

strygo wrote:
I can't find a way to do it from the web, but you can block people using Tapatalk and it takes effect everywhere, including the web. 8)
Same here. I already got him on ignore list on ng.com, now gotta find a way to do the same here.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

I am willing to make a few RGB cables that let you use the RGB from your modded console and take the audio input from the SSDS3. I can either modify your cable or make one. It will have female RCA jacks near the SCART head so you can use a standard MD/Genesis 2 composite video cable to plug the audio in from the SSDS3.

https://tinkerplunk.com/super-sd-system-3-cables/

Lead time is probably a few weeks for new cables as I don't have all the different connector types, but if you send me your cable it would only take the combined shipping time + a day or 2.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

arithmaldor wrote:I am willing to make a few RGB cables that let you use the RGB from your modded console and take the audio input from the SSDS3. I can either modify your cable or make one. It will have female RCA jacks near the SCART head so you can use a standard MD/Genesis 2 composite video cable to plug the audio in from the SSDS3.

https://tinkerplunk.com/super-sd-system-3-cables/

Lead time is probably a few weeks for new cables as I don't have all the different connector types, but if you send me your cable it would only take the combined shipping time + a day or 2.
I think one issue might be is that nobody can seem to find a source for Genesis composite video cables that are truly stereo. Seems like most everybody is only finding ones that have Right connected correctly, but Left is connected to mono. This is incorrect to begin with since the Genesis 2 has has different pins for Left, Right, and mono audio. Also, people have reported mono isn't connected on the SSDS3, so people would just end up with right audio with all the improper genesis composite cables floating around.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

I'll put a note on the page, I can make some stereo cables with these:
https://console5.com/store/mini-din-9-c ... black.html
or try to source true stereo cables.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

First good review of the SSD3 by MLiG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... mbglSBWF8E
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Can anyone recommend someone, or some service that will mod my Core Grafx with caps and jailbar fix? I had a person that I used in the past but they aren't responding at this time.

Haven't picked up a soldering iron in a decade or so and don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks.. I'm in the US.

Edit: Looks like I'm squared away.
Last edited by brentsg on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Rogue_element

Post by Rogue_element »

Reference Shipping and all those worried about missing parcels - Im in the UK - According to the tracking my SSD 3 reached Heathrow on 24 March. I finally received it today (17 April) - nearly one month to travel 150 miles to my house from Heathrow - something fishy going on with that Spanish courier service - either that or Royal Mail have gotten way worse over the last few years..
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Rogue_element wrote:Reference Shipping and all those worried about missing parcels - Im in the UK - According to the tracking my SSD 3 reached Heathrow on 24 March. I finally received it today (17 April) - nearly one month to travel 150 miles to my house from Heathrow - something fishy going on with that Spanish courier service -
Thanks for that update. I'm one of those waiting, it's been 4 weeks since my parcel was shipped.
loukey

Post by loukey »

Koa Zo wrote:
Rogue_element wrote:Reference Shipping and all those worried about missing parcels - Im in the UK - According to the tracking my SSD 3 reached Heathrow on 24 March. I finally received it today (17 April) - nearly one month to travel 150 miles to my house from Heathrow - something fishy going on with that Spanish courier service -
Thanks for that update. I'm one of those waiting, it's been 4 weeks since my parcel was shipped.

Thank you. I'm another one waiting still. :)
SlightlyObsessed

I’m still waiting too, today completes the 4th week of shipping time for mine...thanks for letting us know your experience.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Hopefully Stone Age Gamer will get a shipment of them. I'd rather order from them like I do now for Everdrive products, as the shipping is much more reliable from a same-country basis.
SlightlyObsessed

FBX wrote:Hopefully Stone Age Gamer will get a shipment of them. I'd rather order from them like I do now for Everdrive products, as the shipping is much more reliable from a same-country basis.
I believe they stopped using correos for shipping so future orders should use one of the reliable/faster (slightly more $) carriers. Everyone waiting these long shipment times had selected correos not knowing about the issues...Personally, I would have happily paid the extra shipping if I knew.
loukey

Post by loukey »

SlightlyObsessed wrote:
FBX wrote:Hopefully Stone Age Gamer will get a shipment of them. I'd rather order from them like I do now for Everdrive products, as the shipping is much more reliable from a same-country basis.
I believe they stopped using correos for shipping so future orders should use one of the reliable/faster (slightly more $) carriers. Everyone waiting these long shipment times had selected correos not knowing about the issues...Personally, I would have happily paid the extra shipping if I knew.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Here were the given options:

You figure 1-2 weeks isn't too bad and they even say "The best price and speed". If they had written "4-6 weeks or more.. probably lost. No recourse if it is" then all the sudden you choose UPS every time.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Anyone tried ver. 2 with a Framemeister? According to MLiG there is still some diagonal noise going on :shock:
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Doesn't matter if you completely remove the entire analog video circuit and bypass it with a different 7374 amp, the diagonal noise is still there.

It can be seen on the menu screen on a crt even.

I've tried comp video for sync and csync but its still there.

I did completely bypass the ssds3 for composite video and played for a bit in composite and guess what? No noise.

Using bypassed composite for sync still shows diagonal noise.

I gave up.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

I don't know if i've seen anyone mention this yet, but my internal RGB mod on my TG-16 grabs everything from the underside of the expansion pins, and somehow this gets affected by the SSDS3.

There is clearly noise in the normal output of my system, but I would characterize it as blotchy undefined "clouds" of noise in primarily solid green colors. It looks very similar to the noise issues inherent to a Framemeister.
If I hook up the SSDS3 and still continue running video off of my own RGB port, the noise becomes diagonal lines in those same areas.

Don't know if that is useful to anyone in diagnosing the cause, but thought I would throw it out there.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Well my PC Engine is already RGB modded. I guess I will use RGB from there - the tricky bit is getting the RGB signal merged with the audio from the SSDS3 to send it into the Framemeister.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Im in the UK - According to the tracking my SSD 3 reached Heathrow on 24 March. I finally received it today (17 April)
Who delivered the package in the UK, which courier?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page