DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FER

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by FER »

Thats one point in favor to DBCS: the learning curve is really good for newcomers.

What would had made CS mode more interesting and less or a chore when trying to 100% (when just going for normal completion you can skipp all side missions anyway) would had been if you could unlock the ships and permanent powerups by beating stages, instead of this point system to buy ships and purchase powerups all the time.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

FER wrote:Thats one point in favor to DBCS: the learning curve is really good for newcomers.

What would had made CS mode more interesting and less or a chore when trying to 100% (when just going for normal completion you can skipp all side missions anyway) would had been if you could unlock the ships and permanent powerups by beating stages, instead of this point system to buy ships and purchase powerups all the time.
Yeah, I think it's the absolute best game out there for introducing someone to the genre.

Your idea is interesting. Certainly it'd make exploring the map more rewarding. It'd also make it so there are right and wrong orders in which to explore the map if you don't want an underpowered ship, and it'd be awkward for scoring. I think a point-buy system where you have a set amount for each level would work well, like maybe the Origin is cheap and the Murakumo is expensive, and you might have to choose between fully upgrading your gun or your shield. Just about anything is an improvement over the current system you can use a 98 shield Murakumo whenever you feel like it. I do think the presets are good at teaching you about the different ships and how different loadouts work in different situations.

Also the little optional side missions should have just been thrown out so every mission is a junction. There's a perfectly satisfying amount of content without them.
jimmerd

Post by jimmerd »

I would love to see the (original) Darius available as a stand alone single disc PS4 release, the 30th Anniversary Edition box set was quite expensive.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Does anyone know exactly where the hitboxes are on the skinny enemy-burst lasers? I keep blowing cut-in counterbursts on those, and I can't tell if it's because I'm hitting the button too late (after my hitbox is already in the laser) or too early.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Obscura wrote:Does anyone know exactly where the hitboxes are on the skinny enemy-burst lasers? I keep blowing cut-in counterbursts on those, and I can't tell if it's because I'm hitting the button too late (after my hitbox is already in the laser) or too early.
I don't really know but I don't think it's far off from how it appears. The thing I dislike the most about the counterburst system is that it gives very little feedback on whether you were too early or too late. If you haven't seen already, I made a video demonstrating various counterbursts with an input display so you can see how I timed the button press. I'm not sure if the variety you mentioned is included but I hope it's useful.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Yeah, I was wondering about the "side into it" method on the "stage counterburst", but the only stage counterburst there you did with the pings (which itself actually might be a useful clue!).

On the boss ones, it does look like you're hitting the button a bit later than I do, like you're not hitting it until you're really in the middle of the laser.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Obscura wrote:Does anyone know exactly where the hitboxes are on the skinny enemy-burst lasers? I keep blowing cut-in counterbursts on those, and I can't tell if it's because I'm hitting the button too late (after my hitbox is already in the laser) or too early.
I don't know the exact hitboxes, but my experience is that firing early is the easier mistake to make. If you're not sure, try waiting just a bit more before firing. You don't want your burst to go off until the enemy's burst has already hit you. But yeah, the feedback for that mechanic is bad.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Here's a hint which might help with visualizing Counterburst timing:
Whenever you hold the Burst button, there's a delay between the press and the Burst being fired (in order to accommodate activating the Fixed Burst by double-tapping the regular Burst button). If you get hit by an enemy Burst during that delay, a Counterburst will be executed.

Though in my experience it's never worth Counterbursting the dolphins because of the strict timing required and the ensuing waste of Burst energy which you could have better used for a Fixed Burst later on.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Can't the Great Thing dolphins be used to fully recharge your burst jauge if it is low by counterbursting and then immediatly canceling it?
I think I saw that once on a replay, but I am not sure how useful that trick is. I never rely on it myself.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
FRO

Post by FRO »

Sorry to bring this topic up from the grave, but I just started playing this last night, and I'm wondering something. The arcade mode has multiple paths, but they all consist of 3 basic stages. Chronicle Mode has a bunch of various challenges to complete, and again, they're all short 3-stage "bursts" (pun intended). Does Dariusburst contain no longer game modes? This 3-stage business is great for quick pick up and play sessions, and you can go in and tackle a Chronicle Mode challenge, but coming off G-Darius (my last proper game in the series), it's a bit jarring to see there's not a longer game mode, at least at first blush. Am I missing something? Or is there a longer challenge you can unlock later?

One thing I'm wondering about is the Burst mechanic - I used it a couple times to deflect a boss's pink laser, similar to the G-Darius charge laser method, but it doesn't appear that you can just power the laser on and jump into the path of the enemy's laser and push it back, so what's the strategy on that? I couldn't seem to pull that off more than a couple times across the 20+ runs I did last night. I'm digging the game in a lot of ways, though. Graphics are amazing, and I like the soundtrack so far, especially some of the remix tracks that are callbacks to classic Darius music. It's also interesting that some of the challenges remove the Burst mode, and play more like an old school Darius game, which works well with the remixed classic Darius themes. Some of these challenge levels are brutal, though, like those with the streams of debris you have to try and wade through, in order to get further in the level, or giant swarms of enemies that are throwing everything they've got at you. Some of the bullet patterns seem nigh impossible to dodge, but I'm sure with practice, one could find an optimal path, or know where to strike to take out the more aggressive enemies first. Seems like there's a lot of replay value in the game, but I would still like something with a traditional 6-8+ zone pathway I can take. I missed on on the original Dariusburst on PSP, so I don't recall whether or not that was a longer campaign, in the traditional sense.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Sorry to bring this topic up from the grave
Are you serious? It's not even a 5 years old bump

edit:

in original psp game it was 5 stages and not 3. They decided to make it 3 when did arcade versions and this one.

There are some longer routes in CS mode, like having 7 stages in one row or smth, but those without multiroute
FRO

Post by FRO »

qmish wrote:
Sorry to bring this topic up from the grave
Are you serious? It's not even a 5 years old bump

edit:

in original psp game it was 5 stages and not 3. They decided to make it 3 when did arcade versions and this one.

There are some longer routes in CS mode, like having 7 stages in one row or smth, but those without multiroute
Okay, so I just haven't stumbled across any of the longer CS mode routes yet. Thanks for the info!
qmish

Post by qmish »

By CS i mean console mode, where screen is 16:9.

Not sure about longer challenges in Chronicles mode in arcade mode where its ultrawide.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

FRO wrote:One thing I'm wondering about is the Burst mechanic - I used it a couple times to deflect a boss's pink laser, similar to the G-Darius charge laser method, but it doesn't appear that you can just power the laser on and jump into the path of the enemy's laser and push it back, so what's the strategy on that? I couldn't seem to pull that off more than a couple times across the 20+ runs I did last night.
To counterburst with the Legend, Next, and Assault ships at least (I don't remember if I missed any), you have to hit the burst button at about the same time as when you run into the enemy laser. The timing's kind of tricky to get used to and plenty of people here have struggled with it. Genesis, being based on the G.Darius ship, has the same system as G.Darius where you can start the burst before entering the enemy's laser.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

More precisely, there's a delay between pressing the Burst button and the button being fired. You can notice this if you only briefly tap the Burst button, which then doesn't fire the Burst but some energy does visibly gather in front of your ship.
If you let your ship collide with an enemy Burst during that delay, a Counterburst will be executed.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Shepardus wrote:
FRO wrote:One thing I'm wondering about is the Burst mechanic - I used it a couple times to deflect a boss's pink laser, similar to the G-Darius charge laser method, but it doesn't appear that you can just power the laser on and jump into the path of the enemy's laser and push it back, so what's the strategy on that? I couldn't seem to pull that off more than a couple times across the 20+ runs I did last night.
To counterburst with the Legend, Next, and Assault ships at least (I don't remember if I missed any), you have to hit the burst button at about the same time as when you run into the enemy laser. The timing's kind of tricky to get used to and plenty of people here have struggled with it. Genesis, being based on the G.Darius ship, has the same system as G.Darius where you can start the burst before entering the enemy's laser.
Makes sense, thank you! I will have to check that out with the Genesis Silver Hawk, because that's what I've become used to with years of playing G-Darius.
Durandal wrote:More precisely, there's a delay between pressing the Burst button and the button being fired. You can notice this if you only briefly tap the Burst button, which then doesn't fire the Burst but some energy does visibly gather in front of your ship.
If you let your ship collide with an enemy Burst during that delay, a Counterburst will be executed.
Okay, this tracks, and I probably just did that on accident a couple times. I did notice the delay, which I'm assuming is by design, since you have to hold the button down to get the burst effect, and I've used short bursts to help fend off some of the more annoying stage enemies. This will be very helpful, thank you!
boagman

Post by boagman »

FRO wrote:Okay, this tracks, and I probably just did that on accident a couple times. I did notice the delay, which I'm assuming is by design, since you have to hold the button down to get the burst effect, and I've used short bursts to help fend off some of the more annoying stage enemies. This will be very helpful, thank you!
And don't get down on yourself if the timing escapes you. I've basically given up trying to grasp it (counterbursting, that is...), but I still think the game is stellar.
FRO

Post by FRO »

boagman wrote:
FRO wrote:Okay, this tracks, and I probably just did that on accident a couple times. I did notice the delay, which I'm assuming is by design, since you have to hold the button down to get the burst effect, and I've used short bursts to help fend off some of the more annoying stage enemies. This will be very helpful, thank you!
And don't get down on yourself if the timing escapes you. I've basically given up trying to grasp it (counterbursting, that is...), but I still think the game is stellar.
Yeah, I managed to pull it off again a couple times last night, but the timing is definitely tricky. What bothers me more is that there are so many minor variations of the same set of bosses that it would be a major slog to try and memorize each one so you can get through some of the Chronicle mode challenges w/o having to continue. Especially since a lot of them are fixed equipment style, so you can't upgrade your weapons. Even though they give you full power-ups, usually, when you have a boss rush that throws you right into the fray with potentially a variant you haven't fought yet, and its pattern differs slightly from the one you fought last round, you're going to die, and unless you enjoy the challenge of trying to 1CC a short-term challenge like that, there's little incentive to go back and redo a short challenge stage. Also, when the challenge stages have those large swarms of enemies, where you can't possibly destroy them all, and you get that barrage of yellow laser clusters thrown at you, I've found it nearly impossible to dodge through most of those onslaughts without losing a life or two. That's a little frustrating, but I know that's part of the nature of these games, so I'm trying to keep it in perspective.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I've heard a number of times that the laser for most ships does more damage than the wave. This didn't match my anecdotal experience, so I decided to do some testing to see just how much damage different weapons do for different ships. My method was to play Hokuibesu in Chronicle Saviours mode, which is a single boss fight against Heavy Jaw. Then, using the custom ship feature (might as well put those points to some use!) I made a ship with the desired weapon, level 0 bombs, and enough shields to survive the boss fight without worrying about dodging. I stayed horizontally where the ship starts at the beginning of the fight (unless stated otherwise), and moved vertically to stay centered on the boss. The time bonus at the end of the stage was used as a rough DPS gauge. The numbers listed are the time bonuses in hundreds of thousands (ie 41 is 4,100,000) with the remaining digits truncated.

This wasn't terribly rigorous or precise. Each weapon was tested only once unless something went wrong. The results are definitely tainted to an extent by luck and player error. Anyway, here's what I've got:

Legend
Shot Lv 4 41 (Heavy Jaw crossed to the left side of the screen, necessitating horizontal movement and switching direction)
Shot Lv 4 54 (Point blank, Heavy Jaw crossed to the left side of the screen, necessitating horizontal movement and switching direction)
Laser Lv 0 59
Laser Lv 1 65
Laser Lv 2 71
Laser Lv 3 71
Laser Lv 4 69
Laser Lv 4 78 (Point blank)
Wave Lv 4 59
Wave Lv 4 61 (Point blank)

Formula
Shot Lv 4 63
Laser Lv 4 76 (Heavy Jaw moved out of range a few times)
Laser Lv 4 82 (Point blank)
Wave Lv 4 70 (I moved closer to Heavy Jaw due to this weapon's poor range)

Assault
Shot Lv 4 71
Laser Lv 4 82
Wave Lv 4 72

Gaiden
Laser Lv 0 73 (Despite what the HUD says, this is Gaiden's highest level laser-type shot. Heavy Jaw never switched to its third phase for some reason)
Laser Lv 1 81
Laser Lv 2 70
Laser Lv 3 72
Laser Lv 4 80
Wave Lv 0 69
Wave Lv 1 73
Wave Lv 3 75
Wave Lv 4 78

Genesis.
Laser Lv 4 70
Wave Lv 4 56 (Heavy Jaw crossed to the left side of the screen, necessitating horizontal movement and switching direction)

So it looks like lasers really are superior, by a huge amount too. In the past I would keep level 4 shots instead of switching to a level 0 laser if a boss was about to show up, but now I know that you want to ditch that garbage ASAP. Gaiden looks like the only one of these ships that should grab every red item by default. Also, I should mention that despite the number listed above, point blanking with Legend while you have the wave equipped is definitely worthwhile because its bombs are monstrously powerful. Genesis seems to get hit especially hard by upgrading past laser but, due to its destructible options, its results are probably the least accurate on this list.

Edit: Gaiden's best weapons are laser lv 1 and laser lv 4. See below.
Last edited by Vanguard on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Vanguard wrote:I've heard a number of times that the laser for most ships does more damage than the wave.
This makes sense, in a way. I started to notice that some enemy shot types can be cancelled out with laser shots, whereas the waves won't affect them. I thought some of that might have been the particular variation of the ship I was using, and the type of Chronicle challenge I was playing (Burst ship vs. classic ship), but it seemed like lasers always had a greater effect.
Vanguard wrote:So it looks like lasers really are superior, by a huge amount too. In the past I would keep level 4 shots instead of switching to a level 0 laser if a boss was about to show up, but now I know that you want to ditch that garbage ASAP. Gaiden looks like the only one of these ships that should grab every red item by default. Also, I should mention that despite the number listed above, point blanking with Legend while you have the wave equipped is definitely worthwhile because its bombs are monstrously powerful. Genesis seems to get hit especially hard by upgrading past laser but, due to its destructible options, its results are probably the least accurate on this list.
It also makes sense that you want to power up the Gaiden ship full bore. I remember playing through Gaiden on my Saturn, using the Action Replay code to give you perpetual full weapons, and the fully powered up wave cuts through everything like a hot knife through butter. I don't remember whether or not the wave is better than the lasers in G Darius or not, because honestly, it's been years since I seriously played it, and I usually got spanked pretty hard in that most of the time, to the point where I never kept my weapon level very long :lol:

An interesting study and analysis, though, and something I'll have to keep in mind as I continue to slog through the various Chronicle challenges.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Thanks for the analysis!

I haven't tested it myself yet, but I think there still is a reason not to power-up the Gaiden ship all the way through : IIRC its bomb recharges more slowly when you increase your power level.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

M.Knight wrote:Thanks for the analysis!

I haven't tested it myself yet, but I think there still is a reason not to power-up the Gaiden ship all the way through : IIRC its bomb recharges more slowly when you increase your power level.
Yes, this is correct. The single green wave (small and large) both have noticeably faster gauge recharge rates, so it's probably best to stick with them during score play. For survival play, I don't know which would be better, or if the slightly higher damage from a fully-upgraded shot would be more useful than having more BHBs to throw around.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

FRO wrote:This makes sense, in a way. I started to notice that some enemy shot types can be cancelled out with laser shots, whereas the waves won't affect them. I thought some of that might have been the particular variation of the ship I was using, and the type of Chronicle challenge I was playing (Burst ship vs. classic ship), but it seemed like lasers always had a greater effect.
Any laser weapon will cancel the thin yellow enemy lasers, and any shot weapon will cancel the small red enemy shots.
M.Knight wrote:Thanks for the analysis!

Let's test. Same method as above, except all black hole bombs are fired off away from Heavy Jaw as soon as they recharge.

Laser Lv 0 72 (4 BHB, 25% charged, once again, Heavy Jaw refuses to begin his third phase against this weapon)
Laser Lv 1 81 (5 BHB, 45% charged)
Laser Lv 2 67 (4 BHB, 80% charged)
Laser Lv 3 72 (4 BHB, 75% charged)
Laser Lv 4 81 (5 BHB, 25% charged)
Wave Lv 0 67 (4 BHB, 25% charged)
Wave Lv 1 73 (5 BHB, 5% charged)
Wave Lv 2 79 (2 BHB, 65% charged)
Wave Lv 3 76 (3 BHB, 80% charged)
Wave Lv 4 79 (4 BHB, 30% chaged)

It looks like Keres is correct. The fastest-charging and overall best weapons are laser 1 and laser 4, the small and large blue wave shots.

While testing, I noticed that my previous results incorrectly listed laser lv 2 as the highest level laser for Gaiden, when it's actually laser lv 0. I assume this was just a typo, but to be sure I re-tested laser 0 through laser 3 for Gaiden and have edited the updated results into my previous post. Sorry about the mistake.

Let's also test the damage of Genesis's alpha burst versus keeping your options. Same conditions as above, except I fire the alpha burst at Heavy Jaw whenever possible without triggering a counterburst.

Laser Lv 4 75
Wave Lv 4 69

The damage gained from the alpha burst more than makes up for the damage lost from sacrificing your options. If you aren't waiting for a counterburst and don't need your turrets for any scoring shenanigans, fire that bad boy.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Vanguard wrote:
FRO wrote:This makes sense, in a way. I started to notice that some enemy shot types can be cancelled out with laser shots, whereas the waves won't affect them. I thought some of that might have been the particular variation of the ship I was using, and the type of Chronicle challenge I was playing (Burst ship vs. classic ship), but it seemed like lasers always had a greater effect.
Any laser weapon will cancel the thin yellow enemy lasers, and any shot weapon will cancel the small red enemy shots.
This makes sense, and I'm not sure how or why I didn't pick up on it. Thank you.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

One more round of testing. I wanted to see if using a lower level weapon as Formula is a good way to avoid accidentally upgrading to wave. For these tests, I moved slightly closer to Heavy Jaw than the starting point so that all weapons would hit consistently.

Shot Lv 4 66
Laser Lv 0 72
Laser Lv 1 74
Laser Lv 2 77
Laser Lv 3 79
Laser Lv 4 81

I'm unsure if different weapon ranges factored into damage differences (ie, does a laser that just scratches the enemy inflict less damage than one that pierces all the way through?). Staying below laser 4 may be a good way to avoid accidentally upgrading to a wave, but does come at a cost. The lower level lasers are considerably inferior to the full powered version, but still better than shot lv 4.

I was concerned that Heavy Jaw's breakable nose may be corrupting my data. If damage to the nose doesn't count as damage to its main body then piercing weapons like lasers will perform much better than they "should." Unfortunately, all bosses without breakable body parts like to move around. I did a few tests but since they involved a lot of horizontal movement, the results are likely to be less reliable than usual.

Legend vs Ancient Barrage
Laser Lv 4 27
Wave Lv 4 22

Since Ancient Barrage switches sides so much, I didn't bother staying near the starting zone and instead tried to stay as close as possible without letting Legend's bombs hit. When Ancient Barrage puts up its force field, you can actually get inside the barrier without taking collision damage, which I didn't know about until now.

Legend vs Great Thing
Laser Lv 4 23
Wave Lv 4 17

Moving horizontally was absolutely necessary here. I generally tried to stay near the starting position using the HUD as a visual reference. With wave I tried to avoid shooting Great Thing's harpoons, but wave still lost a bit of damage to them. Honestly though, fighting Great Thing while ignoring the harpoons is about as advantageous a situation as is possible for wave. If it can't beat laser there (and it can't!) then clearly laser is the better weapon.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Very, very late to the party, I've been watching this for a long time but I was not able to afford it. Now that the price in EU store was finally down I was able to grab it for PS4.

Playing AC version on 65" OLED tv upclose was quite incredible experience, I havent seen arcade cabinet but I must imagine the experience being something similar.

Only thing that confused me was 2160p resolution - I thought I had disabled all upscaling from my setup, but I found no mention of this game supporting 4K resolution on ps4 pro. On the other hand, ships looked bit pixelated so some upscaling must have been going on. Dunno if it was the game or the hardware that was doing it.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I could use some help on CS mode... there's two stages at the end of opposing branches that I just can't get past: Thousand Bullets in one and Hungry Gluttons in another. They don't seem to go down, and there's no upgrades on that path.

Is there something I'm missing to make this manageable?
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

cj iwakura wrote:I could use some help on CS mode... there's two stages at the end of opposing branches that I just can't get past: Thousand Bullets in one and Hungry Gluttons in another. They don't seem to go down, and there's no upgrades on that path.

Is there something I'm missing to make this manageable?
I know I'm replying to a four month old post, but Hungry Gluttons' minions have force fields that stop wave shots. Keeping your laser makes things much easier (even more so than usual).

If you've got a burst ship against thousand bullets, it's generally easier if you use your fixed burst purely defensively. A laser will kill him faster than other weapons, but also consider sticking with shot to cancel his bullets.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Been trying to play my PS4 version in 2P coop recently and for some reason the game refuses to recognize a second controller after booting up AC preventing me from starting a coop game. In the main menu I can configure controller 2 but AC seems to entirely forget it's there. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>