Super SD System 3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: Super SD System 3

Post by BuckoA51 »

No jailbars on my Supergrafx I'm happy to say, just this bit of noise. I'm going to investigate alternative PSUs and obv. I still have the first revision Super SD System 3, but clearly getting good RGB from these old machines is not trivial.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I don't know about you guys but I can see the diagonal interference on the damn SSDS3 menu, haven't even loaded a game yet.
Looks like its raining sideways ffs.

Tried a heap of stuff with the csync signal supplied but it didnt fix it, will try composite soon.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Syntax wrote:I don't know about you guys but I can see the diagonal interference on the damn SSDS3 menu, haven't even loaded a game yet.

Tried a heap of stuff with the csync signal supplied but it didnt fix it, will try composite soon.
It's definitely there but really faint. Less than perfect, but the only time I ever notice it in an actual game is when there's a solid green or solid blue section. I don't think it's too much to complain about honestly.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Syntax wrote:I don't know about you guys but I can see the diagonal interference on the damn SSDS3 menu, haven't even loaded a game yet.

Sounds like a lot worse than others here are seeing. It might be worth investigating other aspects of your setup (psu, cables, trying other consoles if you can).
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Full recap, Jailbar fix, upgraded 2 amp vreg, tried with linear and switch PSU....

I have an RGB bypass board that I have connected with long crappy wires to the expansion port which plays Hucard games in perfect RGB....

When I went to check the resistor values before the 7374 it seemed there is a cap somewhere screwing up my reading, where my RGB bypass board shows a solid reading.

Probably getting my reading from decoupling caps on the vout between the two grounds.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

loukey wrote:
Gara wrote:
loukey wrote:So jealous of you guys. They mailed mine on the 20th and it doesn't even show as being the the US yet. I think it got lost enroute and I am not exactly sure what I ought to do. :(
What method did it go out? I paid for the cheapest method but was upgraded since they changed over to DHL. The old mailing partner was really slow. Cheap but you're still in the normal waiting period for it.
Correos - mine shipped day or so before they flipped to DHL.

I wouldn't be worried if there was some tracking, but track17.net shows it left spain on the 29th, and then radio silence since.
I have the exact same situation. Shipped on 20th, depart Spain on the 29th... I've been getting anxious. Though now that I posted about it, it will probably show up tomorrow.
broken

Post by broken »

What model PCE?

I have a white PCE that is similar. Terrible video quality via the rev 2 SSDS3. Internal RGB amp looks fantastic. Disable internal amp, same results.

However, plug in one of several CoreGrafx units I have and the picture is perfect with only minor interference in the same spots others have reported.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Voultar played with the power amp inside the TG16, didn’t he...?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah but so did I.
Making a composite video cable now to compare.
loukey

Post by loukey »

Koa Zo wrote: I have the exact same situation. Shipped on 20th, depart Spain on the 29th... I've been getting anxious. Though now that I posted about it, it will probably show up tomorrow.
Oh I hope your right, but USPS can't pull it up when they are contacted (at least mine). With Correos saying it was on a plane on the 29th, its rather ominous that it hasn't arrived yet. Maybe ours was in the same sack which they tossed out the cargo hold over the Atlantic.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Any one notice the interference is different in the 240p Main menu compared to the Test Patterns menu? Super odd.

Main menus not too bad but the test menu is noisy as all hell.

Hopefully its a clue as to what's going on.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Been messing around with mine for about a half hour so far. Loaded up Valis 2 people talk about seeing diagonal lines on and tried Bonk's blue sky too, and on my BVM-D20 it looks nice and purdy at first glance (don't mind the regular weirdness you get from taking pics of a CRT):

Audio BUZZ is definitely there though. Like without any doubt whatsoever. I tested the same Genesis 2 cable on my buddies Genesis 2 and the audio is perfect (as are all my other systems). Using high quality upgraded coax cable with Phoenix connectors from Retro-Access. Hoping the firmware update fixes the audio (or DIY is fine too).

Don't have my OSSC hooked up right now to test on the flatscreen.
Gara

Post by Gara »

I'm getting little to no visible noise on mine with LPF set to on. The audio buzzing is really bad though. I have to wonder what they are testing these on if this isn't something they didn't catch in testing. Cd rom games buzz nonstop.
https://imgur.com/a/W8itC

I forgot to take photos with LPF off but it's definitely noisy when it's off. This isn't normally a setting I play with so I'll check out the interference compared to my other systems with LPF off.

Supergrafx with a third party Casio ac adapter
Retro access multicore rgb scart
Ossc 5x mode
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

So CD games buzz all the time, not just when loading stuff? I was thinking that it can't be so bad since the original CD drives also make noise when loading--though only when loading.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

fernan1234 wrote:So CD games buzz all the time, not just when loading stuff? I was thinking that it can't be so bad since the original CD drives also make noise when loading--though only when loading.
It's a significant buzz on the audio line, when it accesses the ODE, but also a consistent buzz when playing, too.
Kez

Post by Kez »

It seems to be whenever the ODE is loading data from the "disc". So for example whenever it is playing red book audio, which is most of the time, there will be a buzz. It is not always noticeable, but in any of the quieter parts of the tracks or FMVs it can be heard.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I wonder if that sound issue is really something fixable through a firmware update. Oh well, I guess I'll see how bad it is on my setup when I get mine whenever I get it. I ordered last weekend and it showed as being in stock, so I'd like to think it will ship soon. On the neo-geo forums I saw people posting that they just got theirs after ordering in January and February though :(
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

If I'm not mistaken, there's a long holiday in Spain that may have impacted shipping.
cr4zymanz0r

Post by cr4zymanz0r »

I replaced the 7805 voltage regulator on my Core Grafx with a 2 amp 78S05. I'm not sure if this helped. If it did it's pretty minimal because I'm having a hard time telling the difference. I'm still getting some noise on the Valis 2 intro green border on the OSSC with the LPF on, but as mentioned before it's greatly reduced when using an internal RGB amp in the Core Grafx rather than the SSDS's RGB output. I didn't test the SSDS's RGB output after replacing the voltage regulator.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

loukey wrote:
Koa Zo wrote: I have the exact same situation. Shipped on 20th, depart Spain on the 29th... I've been getting anxious. Though now that I posted about it, it will probably show up tomorrow.
Oh I hope your right, but USPS can't pull it up when they are contacted (at least mine). With Correos saying it was on a plane on the 29th, its rather ominous that it hasn't arrived yet. Maybe ours was in the same sack which they tossed out the cargo hold over the Atlantic.
That's my feeling too. Rather worrisome that it is reported to have left Spain on the 29th yet no trace of it since.
They might've put ours on a boat.
fernan1234 wrote: On the neo-geo forums I saw people posting that they just got theirs after ordering in January and February though :(
Shit. I ordered first week of December and haven't received it yet.
Gara

Post by Gara »

fernan1234 wrote:So CD games buzz all the time, not just when loading stuff? I was thinking that it can't be so bad since the original CD drives also make noise when loading--though only when loading.
When playing audio it's pretty much constantly reading. Buzzes nonstop. It's less noticeable if I use TV speakers but on my sound system it's buzz city. It's loud enough to pick up within the audio and on quiet parts it's very loud. If they can't get the audio significantly improved I'll be looking for alternative solutions like Voultar.

I don't really trust Terraonion when it comes to quality standards so I'm apprehensive that this is software fixable. We seem to have a very different idea on what's "good enough."

On a side note is there a software method to disabling the led blinking it does when reading data? Some tape seems like the simplest solution. My hope is that taking out the visual que of the audio interference will help.
That's my feeling too. Rather worrisome that it is reported to have left Spain on the 29th yet no trace of it since.
You guys are worrying over nothing. It will come. This is all completely normal on that shipping method. It's slow and cheap. It just feels like a long time because of their switch to DHL.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Does anyone know if TerraOnion is willing to work on a 3rd revision to make all proper corrections?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Seems too early for that. And would they have plans for a v3 in their place I wouldn't say a single word, no announcement, not a hint, before the revised circuit's been thoroughly design-tested no matter how much time it'll take.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Gara

Post by Gara »

FBX wrote:Does anyone know if TerraOnion is willing to work on a 3rd revision to make all proper corrections?
I'd be pretty surprised if they were. Them sending voultar a rv2 to test seems to indicate they are becoming open to it but Neosd has already threatened to just discontinue sales rather then continue to address issues related to video or sound. If they could get away with it I think they would rather cut those features out rather than attempt to make them perfect.

Right now the stance is that video noise/interference is a user (system, ac adapter, cable) variable out of their control and the audio problems are something they think can be fixed with a firmware update.
loukey

Post by loukey »

You guys are worrying over nothing. It will come. This is all completely normal on that shipping method. It's slow and cheap. It just feels like a long time because of their switch to DHL.
I sure hope you’re right, but I just talked to a USPS representative and now am even more anxious. She says the plane that it was scanned on arrived in New York on the 1st and that there is no further
movement in the US since then. She said that regardless of mail speed that it should have gone to sorting and that since there was no movement in 12 days that it is likely lost. She said that a mail investigation would need to be started but did not sound too confident that it’d find anything. She then explained that because it originated from Spain that the seller (Terraonion) would need to initiate the investigation with Correos. I am so bummed. I hope Alex can help me out, but he seemed so angry on the ng.com thread.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

It can't hurt to ping him (or neodev, who was active on the NG forum yesterday). This is part of their job.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

SavagePencil wrote:It can't hurt to ping him (or neodev, who was active on the NG forum yesterday). This is part of their job.
It would be a lot more productive to launch a formal complaint with the people shipping it since they are the ones that would have the info about where it is and be responsible if they lost it.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

SavagePencil wrote:
It's a significant buzz on the audio line, when it accesses the ODE, but also a consistent buzz when playing, too.

Ya I hooked it up to better speakers and am hearing it now too. Super annoying. I don't trust TerraOnion to fix it at this point. Would love to hear if @Voultar aka "penis face" figured out what the problem is. Fixing the video is nice and all but I don't really find it that distracting. This audio crap is like needles on a chalkboard though.

If your package is that lost go ahead and file a chargeback with your credit card. No reason to mess around considering the level of customer support these guys offer. That's what chargebacks are for.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I tried putting a 1.5A L7805CV into my CoreGrafx and surprisingly it made the problem way worse, like way more audio buzz and also a noisier image. I put the old 7805 back in and everything went back to how it was previously.

Not sure what the reasons for that are, perhaps I just got a dodgy 7805 (it was from eBay to be fair).
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

loukey wrote:the plane that it was scanned on arrived in New York on the 1st and that there is no further
movement in the US since then. She said that regardless of mail speed that it should have gone to sorting and that since there was no movement in 12 days that it is likely lost. She said that a mail investigation would need to be started but did not sound too confident that it’d find anything. She then explained that because it originated from Spain that the seller (Terraonion) would need to initiate the investigation with Correos. I am so bummed. I hope Alex can help me out, but he seemed so angry on the ng.com thread.
We're not "worrying over nothing". I've been buying internationally for nearly 20 years and I know what to expect with shipping from Spain. Clearly there is some issue with our shipments. I'll wait through Saturday, then contact Terraonion if it is still MIA.
and btw, just to add another kink to the situation, the tracking link for the Correos site now returns an "address not found" error.