Which Scart cable should I get for PS2 so I play PS1 games.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mlee814

Which Scart cable should I get for PS2 so I play PS1 games.

Post by mlee814 »

Hello I recent got XRGB mini recently and been stuck on which Scart cable should I get for my PS2 so I can play PS1 games. I know both require Sync on Luma for both PS1 or PS2 but I want to know which cable so I get because I read that PS1 Scart has capacitors in them and PS2 doesn't. I'm just complete stuck on which one to get.
AndehX

Re: Which Scart cable should I get for PS2 so I play PS1 gam

Post by AndehX »

mlee814 wrote:Hello I recent got XRGB mini recently and been stuck on which Scart cable should I get for my PS2 so I can play PS1 games. I know both require Sync on Luma for both PS1 or PS2 but I want to know which cable so I get because I read that PS1 Scart has capacitors in them and PS2 doesn't. I'm just complete stuck on which one to get.
If you're playing a PS2 console, get a PS2 cable. The software you're running on it doesn't affect the signal output.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

AndehX wrote: If you're playing a PS2 console, get a PS2 cable. The software you're running on it doesn't affect the signal output.
However, SCART cables are also completely interchangeable between PS2 and PS1. At least all the ones I have tried. I'd imagine only component output is unique to the PS2.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

A ps2 already has the 220uf caps for RGB on the motherboard.

A ps1 does not.

So there's the scart cable difference.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mlee814 wrote:Hello I recent got XRGB mini recently and been stuck on which Scart cable should I get for my PS2 so I can play PS1 games. I know both require Sync on Luma for both PS1 or PS2 but I want to know which cable so I get because I read that PS1 Scart has capacitors in them and PS2 doesn't. I'm just complete stuck on which one to get.
Sync on luma is not required; the official cables use composite video as sync. The boutique cables tend to use luma as sync when it's available because it causes less interference than composite video.
strygo

Post by strygo »

This is the cable you want:

https://retro-access.com/collections/pl ... -cord-lead
Contains 1000uf capacitors on the RGB lines for full compatibility with Playstation 1 and 2. If you don't want capacitors (Playstation 2 does not require them) simply add a note when checking out. Cables without capacitors are intended for use on Playstation 2 ONLY.

Please note that 1000uf caps are superior to Sony’s use of 220uf caps in their official cables, which our older cables also used. 220uf caps resulted in image issues on some PlayStation 2 games, 1000uf fixes this but some people still prefer to omit the caps as PS2 doesn’t require them.
Also worth consideration: I recently switched back to component from RGB for a few reasons: my setup is already able to route YPbYr to RGB for other consoles of the same generation (Xbox, GC, PSP, Wii), I no longer needed to worry about the RGsB behavior when using 480p, and I was able to use the spot on my SCART switcher for another console. :D
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

strygo wrote:This is the cable you want:

I second this; however, if I were to buy this cable, I'd only ever use it with a PS2, so I'd request it to be built without the capacitors so it'll be perfectly in-spec.
mlee814

Post by mlee814 »

strygo wrote:This is the cable you want:

Contains 1000uf capacitors on the RGB lines for full compatibility with Playstation 1 and 2. If you don't want capacitors (Playstation 2 does not require them) simply add a note when checking out. Cables without capacitors are intended for use on Playstation 2 ONLY.

Please note that 1000uf caps are superior to Sony’s use of 220uf caps in their official cables, which our older cables also used. 220uf caps resulted in image issues on some PlayStation 2 games, 1000uf fixes this but some people still prefer to omit the caps as PS2 doesn’t require them.
Also worth consideration: I recently switched back to component from RGB for a few reasons: my setup is already able to route YPbYr to RGB for other consoles of the same generation (Xbox, GC, PSP, Wii), I no longer needed to worry about the RGsB behavior when using 480p, and I was able to use the spot on my SCART switcher for another console. :D
Thank You for Link, I would definitely try component in the near future once I get the d terminal to component for XRGB mini but I going to try scart for right now.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Syntax wrote:A ps2 already has the 220uf caps for RGB on the motherboard.

A ps1 does not.

So there's the scart cable difference.
Would it make a difference, though? I'm using the same homemade RGB cable on a PSOne and a PS2 fat, and a PS3 in fact, and I've never noticed anything wrong with the image. Maybe using a later cable on a PS1 would give a washed out image though.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

FBX touched on the issue I think he has comparison images.

If you use a cable with 220uf caps on a ps2 the total capacitance is only 110uf which is not sufficient.

If you use 1000uf caps on a ps2 it brings it closer to 220uf but I'm pretty sure causes artifacts.

I use 2 different cables because of this.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I guess it might depend on how stingy you are with your image quality (and I get it, there's no reason not to go for the best), but I'm using PS1 cables on my PS2, and I think it looks really great. At the very least, I don't feel that "not suffiicient" is an apt description.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it's definitely not a big issue. I have also been using Sony's original PS1 RGB cable on all kinds of PS2 models and never noticed any negative effects. Go with a dedicated PS2 cable, if you have the chance, but if you already got a PS1 cable, I'd really say that there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

@Syntax:
I use 2 different cables because of this.
and do you actually see a difference, when swapping between the two cables?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I haven't looked into it as much as FBX did but there is a difference.

At any rate, you wouldn't put 110uf caps in your Genesis or Snes cables nor would you put 2 220uf ones in series.

I do it because its the correct thing to do and I feel better for it but honestly sometimes I use the PS1 cable for the PS2 when its handy.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

First I've heard of a difference. For the most part, the same RGB cables may work on any model PS1, PS2, or PS3.
(except I think the PSX DVR doesn't output RGB)

Component is, as mentioned, more convenient for normal users on PS2/PS3.
It doesn't have the RGsB issue in 480p games, and DVD movies won't turn green.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

ross wrote:People are saying using PS1 cables on the PS2 is fine, but has anyone tried PS2 cables on the PS1?

What about the PS3? Does that have 220 uF caps on board?
nmalinoski wrote:Sync on luma is not required; the official cables use composite video as sync. The boutique cables tend to use luma as sync when it's available because it causes less interference than composite video.
I imagine the official cables would have better shielding to counteract this though, no?
I use the same, home-built RBG cable for my PSOne, PS2 and PS3. No issues here. I get what syntax is saying, but at 15kHz, video artifacting is really hard to detect if it's even there. Just don't run 5+metres of cabling and don't join cables if you don't have to.

And better shielding will not change the fact composite-video as sync is itself the problem in some cases. Some older pro sets don't like it, and sometimes it introduces noise by the very fact it's a composite video signal, and not just clean (composite) sync. Most if not all of that interference comes from whichever colour subcarrier is being used within the composite video signal. Luma lacks any colour information and is thus a good choice as well.

Most of the time composite video as sync is absolutely fine, though. SCART is intended to use it. And different sources can be different too. You're more likely to have a problem with composite video as sync from a PS1 than from a Wii, for example.
Last edited by buttersoft on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

ross wrote:People are saying using PS1 cables on the PS2 is fine, but has anyone tried PS2 cables on the PS1?

What about the PS3? Does that have 220 uF caps on board?

I imagine the official cables would have better shielding to counteract this though, no? More along the lines of RGC's PACKAPUNCH cables.
Just curious, but do they even have SCART for PS3? Why use it instead of Component or HDMI?
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Because it's there :)