General Gradius thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

What's your favourite entry in the series?

Gradius/Nemesis (Arcade/Famicom/PCE/X68000/PS1/SAT/PSP)
8%
Gradius II/Vulcan Venture (Arcade/PCE/X68000/PS1/SAT/PSP)
17%
Gradius II (Famicom)
3%
Gradius III (Arcade/PS2/PSP)
5%
Gradius III (SFC)
10%
Gradius IV (Arcade/PS2/PSP)
5%
Gradius V (PS2)
21%
Nemesis & Nemesis II/Gradius: The Interstellar Assault/Return of the Hero (GB)
1%
Gradius Gaiden (PS1/PSP)
25%
Gradius ReBirth (Wii)
5%

Total votes: 169

Perikles

Re: General Gradius thread

Post by Perikles »

copy-paster wrote:Is Gradius PCE are worth playing? I know the graphics are not very bright, but the game fixes the option positioning and trailing.
Yes, it's an excellent conversion. The main changes are as follows:

- The laser is not as powerful as it is in the arcade version. It does less damage (which is not terribly important) and has a smaller hit box which means that you can't easily take out enemies on ceilings anymore. From the third stage onwards you're better off using double (which has a much higher shot frequency here).

- The increase in difficulty from one loop to another is linear instead of exponential as it is in the arcade game. Loop 4 difficulty on the PCE is comparable with loop 2 difficulty in the arcade version.

- Checkpoint recovery is also universally easier since enemy aggression abates after a death for a while. The infuriating checkpoint in the middle of stage 4 for example is rather trivial.

- I'm not entirely certain, but I think the hit detection is just a jot more lenient. I got the impression it's almost like Gradius II instead of the harsh scale of the first arcade game.

- Addition of a new MSX-themed stage (which is great). Prudent placement of the carcasses in conjunction with little turrets that submerge and your typical stationary turrets. Really fun checkpoints, too.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Perikles wrote:Yes, it's an excellent conversion.
Wow thanks for the recommendation, will play it today (emulator of course, with Turbo mode on, so no slowdown).

EDIT. Started playing now, here's my log :

- First attempt, died by volcano eruption.
- Second attempt, died by st1 big core.
- Third attempt, FIRST LOOP CLEARED...!!! :o

I never thought I got this far. It basically almost close as the arcade version with few fixes which is more excellent, desert and cell stage are real danger, and I had encountered "checkpoint milking" in the last final stage but yeah I passed it.

Overall it's a excellent game, I liked it as much as with PCE Salamander.
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

playing Gradius V for two month now,slowly reached to stage 6 today

even 11 credits still not enough to beat the whole game :(

sometime i wish gradius has life bar so i can avoid some stupid death mistakes

is there any god mode?
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Once your playtime reaches 17 hours, you'll unlock Free Play, i.e. infinite credits. That's as far as you can go, no "the game plays by itself" mode.
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

meh, just wish there is life bar :P
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

There is a lifebar, it's called the force field.

Try using practice mode to pick a stage you have trouble with. Restart the stage if you game over, rinse and repeat.
You'll become more consistent, make far fewer mistakes, and get better at the game.

now git yer ass back in there.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

what is the best type to make the game easier?

i like type 4,good defensive ability but not good focus firepower against bosses
the type 1 is good too, but sometime lack of defensive ability

and i see on most 1cc video favor type 2....but i have tried, it's not easy at all.... :\

and what the hell with the creature which stole all my orbs? WTF? damn it!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Weapon Edit, that's all...
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

copy-paster wrote:Weapon Edit, that's all...
cant see it, where is it in the menu?
BIL

Post by BIL »

KoolKool993 wrote:sometime i wish gradius has life bar so i can avoid some stupid death mistakes

is there any god mode?
Use the practice mode with the powerup cheat to simulate a real credit's conditions. Focus on wherever it is you're dying, and figure out how to survive. Then apply what you've learned to a real run. It's a long game and not particularly easy, so don't worry if it's hard going at times.

Also try using practice mode without the cheat to figure out recoveries.
GameFAQs wrote:Pause game, then enter:
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, L2, R2
Gives you 1 Speed Up, Missile, Double, 4 Options & ? (Force Field)

Pause game, then enter:
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, L1, R1
Gives you 1 Speed Up, Missile, Laser, 4 Options & ? (Force Field)
^ these don't work on the highest difficulty, IIRC, but you'll be fine practicing on Normal.

IIRC (a big "if") there actually is an invincibility cheat. I seem to remember it being Japan-only? Anyway, that shit is for chumps. ;3
KoolKool993 wrote:
copy-paster wrote:Weapon Edit, that's all...
cant see it, where is it in the menu?
You need to finish the game (with or without credits) to unlock Weapon Edit mode. Worst-case scenario, after 17 hours gameplay time you'll unlock Free Play and can just credit-feed to unlock it.

Type 2 is probably the most intuitive and flexible for a first-time clearer. It's only in the loops that needing to be stationary while adjusting your aim becomes a real issue (due to suicide bullets). The other Types are powerful, but their full potential tends to require experienced technique.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Some thoughts and tips for Gradius V.

Type 4 can be but into focus fire mode by repeatedly tapping the option button, it will make all the options stay close to your ship instead of rotate around it.

Type 1 is the most powerful of the basic types, it can be configured to handle every situation in the game but does take more planning to use effectively.

Type 2 is very good for a basic 1cc but becomes a liability in later loops, mostly because it is the most susceptible to the option hunter. This is a huge problem for stage 8 in later loops.

Type 3 & 4 are generally pretty bad, with type 4 being the worst. I'd stay away from them.

The best builds are with weapon edit using freeze options (type 1) with spread bomb, vertical double, and either E-Laser, ripple, or basic Laser depending on your play-style.
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

pegboy wrote:Some thoughts and tips for Gradius V.

Type 4 can be but into focus fire mode by repeatedly tapping the option button, it will make all the options stay close to your ship instead of rotate around it.

Type 1 is the most powerful of the basic types, it can be configured to handle every situation in the game but does take more planning to use effectively.

Type 2 is very good for a basic 1cc but becomes a liability in later loops, mostly because it is the most susceptible to the option hunter. This is a huge problem for stage 8 in later loops.

Type 3 & 4 are generally pretty bad, with type 4 being the worst. I'd stay away from them.

The best builds are with weapon edit using freeze options (type 1) with spread bomb, vertical double, and either E-Laser, ripple, or basic Laser depending on your play-style.
Here's my personal opinion about the Four Types:

I think Type 2 was an excellent addition to the series and is my favorite, regardless of its efficiency or not in later loops. The issue of you can direct the shots at a 360 degree angle, especially when equipped with the laser is amazing and a big differential over any other Gradius game.

My second favorite is Type 3 which I also appreciate and particularly I consider it the best for use in stages 3 and 5.

The other two (Type 1 and Type 4) I don't like them and consequently I don't use them.

Changing the subject now, as I expected, after the current 60 votes (and unless there is some crazy turnaround) the majority of participants chose Gradius V as the best game in the series with Gradius Gaiden taking a very honored second place, something absolutely fair in my opinion. Now, it would be interesting if someone created a poll about what is the best shmup developed by Treasure, especially focused on the three best ones that are Gradius V, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. I think that the dispute between these three would be tight...
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

My guess is that the voting would go Gradius V > Radiant Silvergun > Ikaruga. But you could start a thread for it if you're really curious.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Bump!

I am writing to vent about Gradius IV. I just don't get how the game works. I don't know if I just cannot wrap my head around the pre-rendered or polygon stuff. The bubbles in Gradius IV feel like a nightmare, whereas at least in Gradius III the bubbles move and interact with the environment in predictable ways. In G4 a bubble can just speed up on collision and barrel right into your Vic Viper. The moai's little rock polygons throw me off as well. It feels harder, visually, to get my bearings on what I can touch and what I cannot. It's souring me on the game now that I have been putting some more serious time into learning it.

Gradius III, I used to love and hate, but I must be getting better at shootemups because the love is starting to grow stronger. The stage design, shitty 3D gimmick levels notwithstanding, is so wonderful. It reminds me why I loved everything about how the game looked, sounded, and played - but hated how hard it was! Taking Gradius II's directive to get some more practice, that attitude has been changing for the better. HOWEVER: I've only made it on normal settings to the cell stage on Gradius III, so I don't know how much longer my 'goodwill' will last once I reach the dreaded cube stage on normal, rank-primed difficulty.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

EmperorIng wrote:I am writing to vent about Gradius IV. I just don't get how the game works. I don't know if I just cannot wrap my head around the pre-rendered or polygon stuff. The bubbles in Gradius IV feel like a nightmare, whereas at least in Gradius III the bubbles move and interact with the environment in predictable ways. In G4 a bubble can just speed up on collision and barrel right into your Vic Viper. The moai's little rock polygons throw me off as well. It feels harder, visually, to get my bearings on what I can touch and what I cannot. It's souring me on the game now that I have been putting some more serious time into learning it.
The bubbles are quite tough, that's undeniable I think. I feel like once you figure out a route for the stage, it's not as much of a problem though. The bubbles can certainly move a bit strangely, but they rarely feel excruciatingly bad (the ice blocks in Gradius II fit the criteria for "excruciatingly bad"). After a while I've no longer really had to consider bubbles moving oddly, they're actually pretty predictable other than when they're splitting (which should be an obviously dangerous point).

I think you just need to give it more practice, it definitely takes some time to get used to IV. But it's all worth it to me, especially for the pure fun of throwing vertical mines around :D
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Recently picked up an MSX MIDI-PAC2.
Used it to send Gradius through my Yamaha PLG150-AN.

https://youtu.be/9RJl9aebBM4
FRO

Post by FRO »

Kobayashi wrote:I think Type 2 was an excellent addition to the series and is my favorite, regardless of its efficiency or not in later loops. The issue of you can direct the shots at a 360 degree angle, especially when equipped with the laser is amazing and a big differential over any other Gradius game.
This is my favorite thing in Gradius V - the ability to wave your lasers back and forth to create a large swath of destruction is amazing.
SuperDeadite wrote:Recently picked up an MSX MIDI-PAC2.

Wow, this sounds really good! I wasn't aware of this technology, but it's interesting to look back upon these kinds of things, and think about how amazing this must have sounded to consumers when they first purchased a unit like this. This might be of interest as well:

https://supersoniqs.com/category/midi-pac-2/
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

EmperorIng wrote:I am writing to vent about Gradius IV. I just don't get how the game works. I don't know if I just cannot wrap my head around the pre-rendered or polygon stuff. The bubbles in Gradius IV feel like a nightmare, whereas at least in Gradius III the bubbles move and interact with the environment in predictable ways. In G4 a bubble can just speed up on collision and barrel right into your Vic Viper. The moai's little rock polygons throw me off as well. It feels harder, visually, to get my bearings on what I can touch and what I cannot. It's souring me on the game now that I have been putting some more serious time into learning it.
In my approach I figured something that made the bubble path "easier" in Gradius IV.
Whenever possible I just let them slide away to the left, often refraining from shooting. Sometimes bubble/crystal control is minimal and they clear the screen by themselves. Of course that's not the case in every single run, but it certainly helps when possible.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks to both for the advice, trap and Kollision. Perhaps I shouldn't take the Gradius III "DESTROY THEM ALL!" approach that you would for those bubbles, and just focus on the smaller or in-the-way ones? It would be hard nonetheless given how cluttered the screen is and how many shots you fire with 4 options+missiles. I'll have to practice tonight and see if it makes a difference. :mrgreen:

As fun as flinging vertical mines are, I wonder if I'm not good enough to use them yet. Type IV is kinda lack-luster outside of the vertical mines given that it has a terrible laser (actually, it feels like all the lasers in Gradius IV are terrible). I've experimented with Photon Torpedoes, which are ok, but force me to change my "Rapid Shot/Rapid Missile" button setup, which is annoying.

Another weird quirk of the PS2 Gradius III/Gradius IV collection: setting the config in one game automatically sets the config in the other. It means changing the button inputs when going between the two games - Annoying! Unless there is some "bind game configs together" option I missed, I don't know why they'd do that.

Sounds pretty neat! Don't know if I'd prefer it over the standard SCC sound, but variety is the spice of life, right?
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

EmperorIng wrote:Thanks to both for the advice, trap and Kollision. Perhaps I shouldn't take the Gradius III "DESTROY THEM ALL!" approach that you would for those bubbles, and just focus on the smaller or in-the-way ones? It would be hard nonetheless given how cluttered the screen is and how many shots you fire with 4 options+missiles. I'll have to practice tonight and see if it makes a difference. :mrgreen:

As fun as flinging vertical mines are, I wonder if I'm not good enough to use them yet. Type IV is kinda lack-luster outside of the vertical mines given that it has a terrible laser (actually, it feels like all the lasers in Gradius IV are terrible). I've experimented with Photon Torpedoes, which are ok, but force me to change my "Rapid Shot/Rapid Missile" button setup, which is annoying.

Another weird quirk of the PS2 Gradius III/Gradius IV collection: setting the config in one game automatically sets the config in the other. It means changing the button inputs when going between the two games - Annoying! Unless there is some "bind game configs together" option I missed, I don't know why they'd do that.

Sounds pretty neat! Don't know if I'd prefer it over the standard SCC sound, but variety is the spice of life, right?
Well the SCC version is also a fan made patch. The original cart is just PSG and only uses 3 channels (2 music, 1 sfx). The MIDI-PAC is all about experimentation. Fun toy to play with.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I impressed myself by not only beating the cell stage in Gradius III (a first!), but somehow improvising my way through the fire stage (dying right before the boss and recovering), and dying multiple times to the Cosmo Plant boss before managing to time it out, and making it all the way to the dreaded cube rush! I can't believe how much progress I've made in Gradius III with some sustained practice - I might be able to even beat the game one day! At this point, the massive slowdown for stage 3's underground segment is a real slog and makes the stage take forever. It's boring, but I dare not turn it off though. :oops:

The fire-stage's meteor spam is pure bullshit. I can't imagine beating it with no slowdown (cue peg video) and it feels awfully unfair, even if I was able to beat it in 2 lives. The plant boss is a real bastard; it also doesn't feel as if the number of speed ups you have affect your suction when it tries to pull you in. Maybe it does? I had 3 speed-ups for the fight.

And man. How am I supposed to survive this cube rush?! If I read correctly, the cubes are randomly generated, as are which ones kamikaze themselves at you. Most people seem to try to build a crystal fort to chill out in, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I just realized that the PS2 pack has checkpoint practice for Gradius III, which might be a godsend in practicing the game. Why wasn't this option included for Gradius IV, though? - a game that arguably needs it just as much!

I did do some more practice with Gradius IV, and I managed to make it to the Moai stage, which I have never done before without using continues. The bubble stage sorta went better by being less aggressive and dodging around the bubbles, but I still don't have a proper route down yet. I managed to time out the volcano boss after a well-done recovery - I learned that I am not even going to bother to dodge that giant spread attack.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Sounds like you're making good progress, probably further along than me (I've made it to the cube rush several times but never after dying on the fire or plant stages)! The fire stage is practically early bullet hell and I love it for the spectacle (and the music!) but the way spread bombs obscure the meteors is terrible. Same with how the meteor fragments don't disappear when they hit your shield so they can go right through and kill you. If I remember correctly the cube rush has fixed patterns that it can choose from but there's like several dozen of them and which pattern it is on any particular attempt is random. So have fun. :lol:
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I'm pretty sure their is a stage select for Gradius IV, but you need to beat the game first. What I did is cranked up the number of starting lives to max and set it to the easiest setting and then cleared it to unlock stage select. I beleive you can also use the konami code to power up as well and it will still unlock. I don't remember if you have to 1cc it or not.

About the cube stage in III, you can predict which cubes will attack you if you count them, the sequence of "attackers" is always the same although their vertical positions they start from and when they attack is more random. It's actually very hard to count them and not get killed but you should be able do due it for the first dozen or so, and after that it's going to get too crazy anyway.

I went over a few videos and it looks like the cube attack sequence is:

It becomes hard to count them after this point. Cube 12 will often attack from behind just when you think it's going to do nothing.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Didn't know that pegboy, that's very useful knowledge!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Despair sets in today! After miraculously defeating the cube rush and boss parade - before dying early in the base and being asked to do THE BOSS PARADE AGAIN! - I discovered what I had secretly feared: some time ago I had lowered the difficulty in the options menu. :oops:

Will all this enthusiasm, goodwill, and progress evaporate as I grapple with a newly ball-busting difficulty? Your rank has to approach normal levels at Easy at some point, right? I am so bummed out. :( :(
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

pegboy wrote: About the cube stage in III, you can predict which cubes will attack you if you count them, the sequence of "attackers" is always the same although their vertical positions they start from and when they attack is more random.
I thought the vertical start position was random but the horizontal attack position was always exactly the same. It’s been awhile since I played with it though. I practiced with mame freeze states and determined it wasn’t gonna happen for me.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

rjosal wrote:
pegboy wrote: About the cube stage in III, you can predict which cubes will attack you if you count them, the sequence of "attackers" is always the same although their vertical positions they start from and when they attack is more random.
I thought the vertical start position was random but the horizontal attack position was always exactly the same. It’s been awhile since I played with it though. I practiced with mame freeze states and determined it wasn’t gonna happen for me.
You could be right, other than the attack sequence I posted earlier, I'm going mostly off memory.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

EmperorIng wrote:Despair sets in today! After miraculously defeating the cube rush and boss parade - before dying early in the base and being asked to do THE BOSS PARADE AGAIN! - I discovered what I had secretly feared: some time ago I had lowered the difficulty in the options menu. :oops:

Will all this enthusiasm, goodwill, and progress evaporate as I grapple with a newly ball-busting difficulty? Your rank has to approach normal levels at Easy at some point, right? I am so bummed out. :( :(
According to Seahawk the rank is a sum of values based on your difficulty setting, the current stage (and loop), and your current upgrades, so your rank on easy would be equivalent to the rank on normal at the same location but with two fewer options (or some other combination). Importantly, dying multiple times doesn't lower your rank any further than the first death (which lowers your rank because you lose your powerups), unlike Gradius IV and the Parodius games.

I think practicing on a lower difficulty level is still helpful because a lot of techniques remain similar on higher difficulties and much of Gradius III comes down to familiarity with the stages.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

The one thing I remember about playing on easy vs normal occurred at stage 7 (fire stage) when you die. On your recovery the zakos will not fire on you if playing on easy while on normal they do fire. Might be the same for earlier stages too, I don't remember though.