gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mj23kb08

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by mj23kb08 »

I totally get your reasoning. Especially if you came out with the gcompsw before the HD Retrovision cables. I will say though that my cables are a huge mesa behind my TV, so I'd preder not to daisy chain another box if I can get away with it. With that being said, since HD Retrovision cables do exist now, therefore creating 7 more component options (SNES, Genesis, Saturn, PS1, Neo Geo, RGB modded NES and N64), do you think a gcompsw with more inputs may eventually be on the horizon?

Oh, and HD Retrovision eventually plans to make a Dreamcast component cable as well.

Also, on a side note, I occasionally talk to Marc Duddleson (TRY4RCE) from My Life in Gaming and he even mentiomed the limited inputs on the gcompsw as it's only flaw whatsoever. I only mention that just to show it's not just me. Lol.

Once again, insanely well manufactured product with even more impressive performance. I can't stress that enough. But with more component options available now and not everyone wanting to use SCART to HDMI upscalers (or PVMs), do you think you might consider another revision that has more unputs?
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

I believe the HDRetrovision Genesis cable works on modded TG16/PC-Engine as well.

That being said I feel he should prioritize a Gscartsw Lite revision with sync-on-green first, as well as catching up to demand. These things seem to sell out within 2 days every 3 months that they show up. The Gcompsw takes weeks so doesn't seem to be worth the prioritization.

Hell I'd personally rather he make a nice HDMI switcher instead at this point. Any thoughts on this SuperG?
seldinger

Post by seldinger »

Hi all, just received a gscartsw_lite and love it so far.

My setup is NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Genesis --- > SCART switch --- > OSCSC --> LED TV for output 1
--- > SONY PVM 2030 for output 2
Everything except the Genesis works well.

If I bypass the switch and connect directly to the OSSC and Sony PVM, it works without problem.

But will not work to either going through the switch. There is no signal to the OSSC and the TV has an odd scan white line at the top.https://imgur.com/a/QIBiC

For whatever it is worth, this Genesis setup also DOESN'T work with a frame-meister, even when plugged in directly.

I'm using this cable https://retro-access.com/collections/vi ... nc-tv-lead

I've tried:

1. different input SCART positions on the switch, no change.
2. unplugging 1 of the SCART output cables, no change.
3. on/off sideswitch position on the gscartsw_lite, no change.

From reading prior posts, I gather it could be the SCART lead? Are there any recs as to which lead may be more compatible? The only reputable scart sellers I know are retroaccess and retrogamingcables .

Any other thoughts?
Kez

Post by Kez »

How long ago did you buy the cable? Retro access used to make a boosted sync cable that was not on spec.

If you're able to pop open the scart head and take a picture of the wiring we may be able to tell if there are problems with it.
Jfonzy

Post by Jfonzy »

Waiting for the GSCARTSW_lite stock..

My two cents on component:

I have RGB monitors and will always prefer RGBS. That being said, if PVMs are getting harder to come by, component would be the next best thing. And if retrogaming popularity is growing, it might not be a bad idea to look into a comp switch with more inputs. The demand might be there.
superg

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote: That being said I feel he should prioritize a Gscartsw Lite revision with sync-on-green first, as well as catching up to demand. These things seem to sell out within 2 days every 3 months that they show up. The Gcompsw takes weeks so doesn't seem to be worth the prioritization.
I had gscartsw_lite units for 2 weeks and gcompsw's for more than a month. On the other hand I'm not going to keep a big stock of each because after a first day it sells 1-2 units a day, I'd rather wait a bit and that's what I'm currently doing.
seldinger wrote:Hi all, just received a gscartsw_lite and love it so far.

My setup is NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Genesis --- > SCART switch --- > OSCSC --> LED TV for output 1
--- > SONY PVM 2030 for output 2
Everything except the Genesis works well.
If I bypass the switch and connect directly to the OSSC and Sony PVM, it works without problem.
But will not work to either going through the switch. There is no signal to the OSSC and the TV has an odd scan white line at the top.https://imgur.com/a/QIBiC
For whatever it is worth, this Genesis setup also DOESN'T work with a frame-meister, even when plugged in directly.
I'm using this cable https://retro-access.com/collections/vi ... nc-tv-lead

I've tried:
1. different input SCART positions on the switch, no change.
2. unplugging 1 of the SCART output cables, no change.
3. on/off sideswitch position on the gscartsw_lite, no change.

From reading prior posts, I gather it could be the SCART lead? Are there any recs as to which lead may be more compatible? The only reputable scart sellers I know are retroaccess and retrogamingcables .

Any other thoughts?
Both models of Genesis are well tested, I currently test all the switches using one of my Genesis 2 consoles (240p test suite) on OSSC, all work regardless of CSYNC/OFF toggle switch. I suggest to check the cable first and maybe another genesis if you can get borrow it from somewhere.
seldinger

Post by seldinger »

Kez wrote:How long ago did you buy the cable? Retro access used to make a boosted sync cable that was not on spec.

If you're able to pop open the scart head and take a picture of the wiring we may be able to tell if there are problems with it.

Here you go,https://imgur.com/a/FjN1j

I have a feeling its the system itself. Got it off ebay, supposedly has a jailbar fix but I haven't cracked it open to investigate. I'm guessing there is something funny with the sync signal. Will try another unit and then open this one up.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:
tusecsy wrote: That being said I feel he should prioritize a Gscartsw Lite revision with sync-on-green first, as well as catching up to demand. These things seem to sell out within 2 days every 3 months that they show up. The Gcompsw takes weeks so doesn't seem to be worth the prioritization.
I had gscartsw_lite units for 2 weeks and gcompsw's for more than a month. On the other hand I'm not going to keep a big stock of each because after a first day it sells 1-2 units a day, I'd rather wait a bit and that's what I'm currently doing.
not to be nitpicky but feb 26 - march 5 is 7 days. not exactly 2 weeks. i dont think you've nearly met demand yet. but it's no big deal, i can wait to buy my 2nd. (waiting for sync on green revision anyway).
Last edited by tusecsy on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote:
superg wrote: I had gscartsw_lite units for 2 weeks and gcompsw's for more than a month. On the other hand I'm not going to keep a big stock of each because after a first day it sells 1-2 units a day, I'd rather wait a bit and that's what I'm currently doing.
not to be nitpicky but feb 26 - march 5 is 7 days. not exactly 2 weeks. i dont think you've nearly met demand yet. but it's no big deal, i can wait to buy my 2nd.
True, I've just checked my records. However I've been shipping those the whole 2 weeks, that's why.
spray

Post by spray »

superg wrote: I have to make such board to insert it to the EXT header.
Did an EXT board ever get made? Or was the query/control protocol for this port ever documented?
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

spray wrote:
Did an EXT board ever get made? Or was the query/control protocol for this port ever documented?

SuperG commented on this a couple of posts back:
superg wrote: gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

Hi

I've been having a lot of sync and audio-related issues in my setup and I came across something bizarre. I'm using a male SCART to BNC breakout cable from retrogamingcables that's my output from the GSCART_Lite and the sync is changing depending on the state of the RCA audio connectors. If I disconnect the audio cables the sync gets terrible and if I hold the conductors at the end of the audio cables in my hands the sync becomes okay again. I can reproduce this 100% of the time. When the audio cables are plugged in the sync is sometimes good and sometimes not and can be influenced by the audio connectors. It's also worth noting that plugging each of the two RCA audio connectors in makes the image quite a bit darker.

This doesn't happen if I use a female SCART to BNC breakout cable directly to the monitor but I don't own a male SCART to male SCART cable to test the female coming from the GSCART. I have no idea if this is the cable or the GSCART, but enabling the sync stripper fixes it, which says to me this may be happening before the cable. I'd like to pinpoint the problem as having the audio affect the sync is having a negative effect on my setup.

I'll do some more testing but if I could get a bit of help in any way I'd be very appreciative.
superg

Post by superg »

Basscross64 wrote:Hi

I've been having a lot of sync and audio-related issues in my setup and I came across something bizarre. I'm using a male SCART to BNC breakout cable from retrogamingcables that's my output from the GSCART_Lite and the sync is changing depending on the state of the RCA audio connectors. If I disconnect the audio cables the sync gets terrible and if I hold the conductors at the end of the audio cables in my hands the sync becomes okay again. I can reproduce this 100% of the time. When the audio cables are plugged in the sync is sometimes good and sometimes not and can be influenced by the audio connectors. It's also worth noting that plugging each of the two RCA audio connectors in makes the image quite a bit darker.

This doesn't happen if I use a female SCART to BNC breakout cable directly to the monitor but I don't own a male SCART to male SCART cable to test the female coming from the GSCART. I have no idea if this is the cable or the GSCART, but enabling the sync stripper fixes it, which says to me this may be happening before the cable. I'd like to pinpoint the problem as having the audio affect the sync is having a negative effect on my setup.

I'll do some more testing but if I could get a bit of help in any way I'd be very appreciative.
What is on inputs? Console with SCART cable? When you test, use just one console, unplug everything else. You aren't using amplified audio before the switch, are you?
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

superg wrote: What is on inputs? Console with SCART cable? When you test, use just one console, unplug everything else. You aren't using amplified audio before the switch, are you?
I have the following RGB SCART connections on the inputs, and I'd like to reiterate that everything works perfectly when directly connected to a monitor: Playstation 1 (sync on luma), SNES (SNS-001, CSync), Nintendo 64 (RGB mod with buffered CSync), Genesis Model 1 (CSync) and Dreamcast (custom-made RGBs SCART 480i/480p switching cable.) Everything is within 75 ohm sync spec and should be under 1Vp-p.

I tested with only one console connected at a time and the results were the same. The audio is coming directly from the consoles to the GSCART, and then to my NAD 7140 stereo receiver. The receiver doesn't matter as the issues are worse with audio not connected.
superg

Post by superg »

Basscross64 wrote:
superg wrote: What is on inputs? Console with SCART cable? When you test, use just one console, unplug everything else. You aren't using amplified audio before the switch, are you?
I have the following RGB SCART connections on the inputs, and I'd like to reiterate that everything works perfectly when directly connected to a monitor: Playstation 1 (sync on luma), SNES (SNS-001, CSync), Nintendo 64 (RGB mod with buffered CSync), Genesis Model 1 (CSync) and Dreamcast (custom-made RGBs SCART 480i/480p switching cable.) Everything is within 75 ohm sync spec and should be under 1Vp-p.

I tested with only one console connected at a time and the results were the same. The audio is coming directly from the consoles to the GSCART, and then to my NAD 7140 stereo receiver. The receiver doesn't matter as the issues are worse with audio not connected.
It could be that your SCART male to BNC cable is shorting somewhere. Definitely try some other cable. Also make sure your receiver is fine, if gscartsw gets higher voltage on audio input or output, the multiplexers will be damaged. It's enough to have it improperly connected once, just words of caution, I hope it's not your case.
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

superg wrote: It could be that your SCART male to BNC cable is shorting somewhere. Definitely try some other cable. Also make sure your receiver is fine, if gscartsw gets higher voltage on audio input or output, the multiplexers will be damaged. It's enough to have it improperly connected once, just words of caution, I hope it's not your case.
I'll order in a male SCART to male SCART connector since I know that the female SCART to BNC breakout cable I have is functional. Hopefully that solves it, because if not I'm not sure what else to do. I'll post an update once I can test.
axlblazeadam

Post by axlblazeadam »

superg wrote:Also make sure your receiver is fine, if gscartsw gets higher voltage on audio input or output, the multiplexers will be damaged.
What does this mean? I have the 3.5mm output of the gscartsw connected with RCA cables to a Bose home cinema set. I assumed this woud be a one-way signal?
buckieretro1984

Post by buckieretro1984 »

SuperG
Whats the plans for next batch, 4or8 inputs?
Am after an 8 input
Thanks
Paul
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

axlblazeadam wrote:
superg wrote:Also make sure your receiver is fine, if gscartsw gets higher voltage on audio input or output, the multiplexers will be damaged.
What does this mean? I have the 3.5mm output of the gscartsw connected with RCA cables to a Bose home cinema set. I assumed this woud be a one-way signal?
Generally this issue is in regards to devices like Superguns that can/do improperly send amplified audio (like the kind that's used to drive passive speakers) over SCART, against spec.
Kez

Post by Kez »

seldinger wrote:Here you go,https://imgur.com/a/FjN1j
Yeah, the cable seems fine so it does suggest whatever mods were done may be the culprit.

If they did an RGB bypass to fix the jailbars, you may be doubling up on components (on the board and in the cable). Definitely worth investigating the internals.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

GScartSw doesn't use INPUT blanking/switching voltage for anything at all does it?

Making some console cables today and would love to avoid wiring blanking in.

As long as I have sync the output should still send blanking right?
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

Syntax wrote:GScartSw doesn't use INPUT blanking/switching voltage for anything at all does it?

I built a Dreamcast cable recently and I didn't wire blanking and it worked just fine. The sync signal should be carrying that pulse as is.
Last edited by Basscross64 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

axlblazeadam wrote:
I simply mean that the switch output has to be connected to line input, if it's connected somewhere else by mistake, the switch will die.
buckieretro1984 wrote:SuperG
Am after an 8 input
Thanks
Paul
I don't think I understand what you mean, it's not like I can seldom change the inputs count.
Kez wrote: Yeah, the cable seems fine so it does suggest whatever mods were done may be the culprit.
If they did an RGB bypass to fix the jailbars, you may be doubling up on components (on the board and in the cable). Definitely worth investigating the internals.
Personally I wouldn't trust anybody selling modded Genesis, there are plenty of models which don't suffer from jailbars.
superg

Post by superg »

Syntax wrote:GScartSw doesn't use INPUT blanking/switching voltage for anything at all does it?

Starting from gscartsw v3 (including gscartsw_lite) the detection is based on sync, you don't have to wire blanking/switching at all (SCART pin 8 and pin 16).
morfeo

Post by morfeo »

I know this is not supported, but i tested the gscart (first edition) with my Retroelektronik supergun,and i only got sound, no picture. Has anybody here had any luck using this particular supergun with the gscart? Its a pretty common and much-sold, middle-tier supergun, so would guess somebody have tried it?
buckieretro1984

Am after an 8 input
Thanks
Paul
I don't think I understand what you mean, it's not like I can seldom change the inputs count.

Sorry
I misread a previous comment, just wanted to know if its 4or8 inputs that you will be building.
Thanks
Paul
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

buckieretro1984 wrote:
Am after an 8 input
Thanks
Paul

Sorry
I misread a previous comment, just wanted to know if its 4or8 inputs that you will be building.
Thanks
Paul
I think it's a safe assumption that the gcompsw will continue to have 4 inputs and the gscartsw will continue to have 8 inputs for the foreseeable future.
buckieretro1984

nmalinoski wrote:
buckieretro1984 wrote:
Am after an 8 input
Thanks
Paul

Sorry
Thanks
Paul
I think it's a safe assumption that the gcompsw will continue to have 4 inputs and the gscartsw will continue to have 8 inputs for the foreseeable future.
Thanks
Didnt know there was 2 different ones thats why i asked as its the 8 input gscartsw am after
Thanks
Paul
spray

Post by spray »

eric90000 wrote:
spray wrote:

SuperG commented on this a couple of posts back:
superg wrote: gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
Thanks. Could this get added to the top post?
EDIT: or the store page?
superg

Post by superg »

spray wrote: Thanks. Could this get added to the top post?
EDIT: or the store page?
I have yet to see somebody actually using that port, might get removed later.