The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LordHypnos

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by LordHypnos »

welcome, newcomers.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Skeet

Post by Skeet »

Hello all...

I just found this place by looking for some shmups to play. Liked what I saw - cool place - so here I am.

Old man gamer here, 63 years old/young. Got sucked into gaming way back in the late 70's when I saw my first arcade game, Space Invaders. Walked into a bar one day to shoot some pool and there she was. My friends all thought she was weird and didn't give her a 2nd look. They just placed their quarters on the pool table and waited their turn. Me, I popped a quarter into the alien machine and died a quick death. But I was mesmerized none the less. By the end of the night I was a tad bit better, much lighter in pocket change, and completely in love.

Been gaming ever since, never very good, even worse now with my old man reflexes, hands, and eyes - heh. But love the hobby still. Play mostly in Mame, PS4, or PC. Recently picked up Space Invaders Extreme and Dariusburst CS on Steam. DBCS is a great game which lead me to searching for other shmups. Thinking about picking up Battle Garegga 2016 on my PS4 now - shmuping in the recliner sounds appealing. :lol:

Great place here, thanks for having me.
kakugo

Post by kakugo »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to STGs as well! I mostly lurk and I have to say this place is full of interesting people and lots of information!
IroHero

Post by IroHero »

Hi everyone!

First of all I'd like to introduce myself. And say I'm happy after finding such a forum like this one about shmups.
My name's Jes (Jes Luengo) and a yearand a half ago I founded a small videogames studio. We have been developing an old classic shool shmup since then, and searching for web in order to introduce it to the community ? have found this forum.
I am a big fan for shmups (well, that's the reason we are developing this game :P) but I've never been part of the shmups community, so I'm qute new to this worlds.

I would like to know whether there is a thread in which I could introduce the game, or if I have to request authorization from someone in order to do it. I wouldn't like being expelled as a spammer!

As an anecdote, I want to say that I'm a big fan of Ikaruga, and our game is certainly inspired by it's polarity mechanic (though the gameplay is absolutely different, I swear it!) but indeed, my first shoot'em up was Xenon. I have never known anyone who remembers this game , hopefully someone here will do! (Yes, I'm not so young after all XD)

Best regards!
Dyne

Post by Dyne »

Good morning, everyone.

First time truly posting around here, been into shmups since I can remember.

After such a long spring, I finally got things together in my life where I can save up some change and achieve the dream of getting some actual arcade hardware of the games I love to play. My roommates are hardcore arcade enthusiasts and as time's gone on, I have also started helping add to the collection and sharing a supergun and other consoles with each other has proved to be a great success when doing get-togethers and casuals and tournaments locally or around during some major events.

Part of growing up involved the nostalgic charm of the memories I made playing many classics in one way or another, particularly Giga Wing and Mars Matrix, and with these games I expanded to the older and newer games that held a place in the echelon of great classics not limited to just shmups. One of those things it also built was the curiosity of how to obtain the means of playing these games and what it took to actually play them in their authentic shape. MAME spoiled me when I finally "discovered" it though most of those games needed more than just chump change to get them, so MAME and other things tided me over till then.

Hopefully, I can grow and start getting deeper into the hobby and lifestyle of maintaining and collecting and maybe even begin restoring old classic PCBs and cartidges and the like of games as they were meant to be played just like back in the day.

I recently got the DARKSOFT CPS2 board and A-board and borrowing my friend's custom built Supergun and I couldn't be happier being able to play Giga Wing and Mars Matrix again, letting me rekindle my determination to seriously get good at these games and do both the playing as well as getting into the hardware aspect of the arcade world.
xodaraP

Post by xodaraP »

Hi guys,
I'm a big fan of shmups, particularly on arcade hardware :) I also enjoy doing mods and repairs and would love to get involved in the community here
Reechard

Post by Reechard »

Hello!

My name is Rick, I'm from Indianapolis, and have been doing the shmups thing for a few years now. I've got a few good arcade PCBs and have gone through quite a few in trades too. Always looking for more! I just ordered a Vewlix clone through someone shipping a container over, and I'm looking forward to getting that going. I'd like to get into some of the Cave shooters, I've been doing Psikyo, Irem, and Seibu up until now.
Arvid

Post by Arvid »

Hello

Loved playing in the arcades in the 80´s and 90´s and looking to get into this again :)
heater

Post by heater »

Hello!

Been lurking for a while and finally decided to join.
i've been into shmups for probably about for a while but was never really all that serious about it, recently i got some nice CRTs and i've been going wild.

the first game i ever played was a shmup actually. i watched my mom 1cc gradius 3 for snes all the time.

that's it i guess.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Welcome, recent new members!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Always good to see new blood on the farm. Welcome !
My lord, I have come for you.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

Hello! I lurked for a while and only recently became more active. I found this site after all of the cool guides and threads started being posted here after assemblergames was down, starting with the gscartsw thread.

Favorite shmups include Galaga (can't pass this one up), radiant silvergun, R-type, anything that lets me play for a while before getting too difficult.

So far I've found this to be a great forum, full of helpful experts willing to share their knowledge. I hope to contribute more myself soon. Check out my website in signature and thanks for having me!
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Welcome aboard! I too lurked this forum for its strategy threads etc. for a while before joining.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Welcome all new shumpfarmers! Lovely to see regular fresh blood pouring in.

I haven't shmupped now in a long time (since I got my Vive in June 2016...), but I still lurk here on a regular basis.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
MiniPizzaHitman

Post by MiniPizzaHitman »

Hey! I'm Will from Michigan; this forum was super helpful in trying to plan the retro collection that I'm setting up, so I figured I should probably join.
brisketnbulgogi

Post by brisketnbulgogi »

Hi guys,

I just joined today after recently getting back into the scene again. Hope to find some games I've always wanted to own!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Hi! Really sucks that a lot of games are significantly more expensive than they used to be...

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but shouldn't this thread be a sticky?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
JunKSter

Post by JunKSter »

Hi - Vintage UK (Northern Irish) gamer here. Been reading these forums for years as they’re full of interesting info. Felt I could (finally) contribute to a thread so here I am.

Own (or have owned) every system you can imagine, spend far too much money on games (all genres)

Enjoy playing Shmups but I’m not fantastic at them.

For the community - keep posting interesting stuff.
For the Admins - thanks for keeping it running.

JunKSter
malaise

Post by malaise »

Greetings everyone stumbled onto this wonderful place because of the abundant knowledge present. Figured I'd make an account. Honestly was never really into shooters most of my life. I mean I played them here and there through my gaming life, life force on nes, darius gaiden on saturn ect. But had a kid this year and I no longer had the time to invest long hours in story heavy rpgs so had to find a genre I could pick up and play in short bursts so bought a pc engine with r type and the rest is history. Recently started to gain an interest in arcade hardware and this seemed like a great place for info about that too.
Last edited by malaise on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
IPD

Post by IPD »

I've been lurking for a while and decided it was time to join. I live in Sweden and for the past few years my CRT collection has grown and almost become an obsession. I'm fortunate to own a BVM D24, along with several other PVMs, JVCs and "prosumer" Trinitrons and BangOlufsens. Reading all the hardware threads here has helped a lot. I only use a few game consoles, NES, SNES, PS1, Saturn and Neo Geo. Getting the best possible picture from each console is an ongoing struggle. I'm not much of a shmups fan, but I do play Radiant Silvergun occasionally ... :)
bfontain

Post by bfontain »

Hi, I'm a retro game fan and I've recently started collecting arcade PCBs. I enjoy playing shmups, so I figured I would join as this forum is a great resource. I'm currently on the look out for a Vewlix cab and Cave PCBs :lol:
Cheatinn

Post by Cheatinn »

Hi all,

Just saying hello!

I'm interested in Arcades, Consoles and Pugs! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Cheatinn on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darksoft: ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
Consoles: SNES, Megadrive, PCE Duo RX, Saturn, Xbox, Xbox360, Ultra Hdmi N64, Analouge NT
Monitor: BVM 20E1E
Supergun: Home Arcade System 'HAS'
Ged

Post by Ged »

Hi all, i'm here because thos board is helping me a loro with mods and hardware in general!
scs_jonah

Post by scs_jonah »

Hey all,

I am a shmup enthusiast and I just recently launched a YouTube channel with a big focus on shooters. You can find them on the reviews board, but my channel is Secret Character Studios. I am all about sharing good games and talking game design. I'm also on Twitter at @scs_jonah.

Looking to learn a lot from the forum and find recommendations for new shmups to play. I also love fighting games and arcade games in general.

Are there any good discord groups for shmups or arcade games? I am on r/shmups but want to reach more of the community.
espX

hey guys, i'm new here

Post by espX »

so, today in my android phone, i installed the shmup game "Danmaku Death" and it got me addicted. can you tell me some good shmup games for pc? thanks
FRO

Re: hey guys, i'm new here

Post by FRO »

Welcome to the forums. There are tons of great shmups on PC - are you looking strictly for danmaku/bullet hell style, or are you open to more? There are a lot of threads here about various games, so make good use of the Search function, and you'll find more shooters than you can play. Also, if you have Steam, just searching the term 'shmup' on there will come up with several pages of games, most of which have a trailer you can check out.
OmegaFlareX

Re: hey guys, i'm new here

Post by OmegaFlareX »

espX wrote:can you tell me some good shmup games for pc? thanks
Mushihimesama
Crimzon Clover
Raiden IV
VGC1612

Hello everyone

Post by VGC1612 »

Been reading this forum since i join in 2014 but never introduce myself,big shmup & beat en all fan (THE 2 best gaming genre EVER) from Quebec City,Canada.Big Neo Geo & PGM lover too.Thanks to everybody on this forum,lots of awesome topic and BTW Toaplan4ever!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Welcome! I know there's an IRC channel where a number of the folks hang out, but I'm afraid I'm not sure about Discord or other chat clients.

Mods: would it be worth stickying this thread?
Raiden_R-13

Post by Raiden_R-13 »

How's it goin everybody! Finally decided to join this forum after lurking for a few years.

My first Shmup was Star Fox (If you can call it a shmup) followed by Raiden Trad on the Snes.

I'm a big fan of 16-bit and 32-bit era gaming in general so SNES, Arcade, PS1 and even some Turbografx and Genesis games. If i could find an affordable FM-Towns or a Sharp X68000 i'd probably own one of those too.

My favorite shmups of all time include Gradius V, Gradius Gaiden, R-Type Leo, Star Fox (Again, don't know if that one counts lol), Xexex, Strikers 1945 II, Batsugun and Giga Wing.