Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Kez »

FBX wrote:Check out the latest OSSC component input results from a new GBI build Extrems sent me:
Great stuff. How does this scale onto your TV? I currently still use FM in x5 mode for the GB Player because it's close to full-screen. I haven't investigated the OSSC too much as I didn't think there was a way to make it fill more of the screen vertically - am I mistaken?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Kez wrote:
FBX wrote:Check out the latest OSSC component input results from a new GBI build Extrems sent me:
Great stuff. How does this scale onto your TV? I currently still use FM in x5 mode for the GB Player because it's close to full-screen. I haven't investigated the OSSC too much as I didn't think there was a way to make it fill more of the screen vertically - am I mistaken?
You can only make the GBI image a maximum 5x larger on the OSSC using line5x mode, which of the active pixels on the GBA, that would be 1200x800. However, the Framemeister allows you to overscale the image as much as you want, so an ideal FM scale would actually be 6x (1440x960) on a 1080p display. 7X would start to chop pixels off the top and bottom as it would be 1680x1120.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I see, thanks. 6x is what I meant. Gameboy Player is pretty much the only reason I still have my Framemeister at this point.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

I can confirm ”high fidelity” version works well with rgb cables also. Thank you Extrems and FBX!
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

What’s the takeaway from this from those of us who want to invest in cables specifically for GB Player?

Will Extrems release a version of GBI that looks perfect with HDMI? Should we go back to hunting down Component cables? Or will the future aftermarket solutions for 480p analog output be the same as official component cables for GB Player?
FBX

Post by FBX »

PixelDharma wrote:
Will Extrems release a version of GBI that looks perfect with HDMI?
I asked about this concerning EON's GCHD, and Extrems's response was "GCHD is fucked".
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

FBX wrote:
PixelDharma wrote:
Will Extrems release a version of GBI that looks perfect with HDMI?
I asked about this concerning EON's GCHD, and Extrems's response was "GCHD is fucked".
Interesting. I wonder if that’s true for all GCVideo variants though...
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You can make it work, but you need a RGB 4:4:4 capture device and drop odd pixel columns.

GCVideoX can forgo chroma interpolation, so it's directly usable with a display.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Extrems wrote:You can make it work, but you need a RGB 4:4:4 capture device and drop odd pixel columns.

GCVideoX can forgo chroma interpolation, so it's directly usable with a display.
As in it can output 4:2:2 YCbCr? Does that allow for perfect sampling that converted 4:4:4 RGB wouldn't?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

No, it's outputting RGB 4:4:4 with repeated chroma.
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

Am I correct in saying that the GCVideo Dual is pretty much on par with the official component cables? I'm tempted to sell my cables to basically fund the install and get HDMI+analog RGB, just not sure if it's worth the trouble since I personally won't use the HDMI most likely and would be using the analog RGB (which sounds like the same PQ as component)
Still an awesome ass project though. I'm curious if the Wii board can take care of the so-so component output for Wii
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I just talked to unseen just now, and he mentioned he might do another release. That would fix a known gamepad compatibility issue and also allow settings for chroma interpolation. Fingers crossed, that he does another release. As people tend to freak out when pixels are not perfect. :lol:
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

citrus3000psi wrote:I just talked to unseen just now, and he mentioned he might do another release. That would fix a known gamepad compatibility issue and also allow settings for chroma interpolation. Fingers crossed, that he does another release. As people tend to freak out when pixels are not perfect. :lol:
By the way I have a question about that (I didn't find the answer but I admit I didn't search a lot :P)
How does the GC hdmi mod convert the 4:2:2 signal to 4:4:4 ? Does is do a simple data duplication, or does it try to reverse the internal conversion of the gamecube (the one Link83 posted here), a little like the deblur of the ultraHDMI mod do for the N64 ?
Is it even possible to do it on the actual FPGA used, and had someone already done the comparison between the two method to see if it's worth it ?

Combine that with the fact that the CPU of the GC can apply some modifcation on the YUV 4:2:2 framebuffer (according to dolphin devs), applying the reverse conversion in these cases could potentially lead to bad results, am I wrong ?

And sorry if it's already been asked.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Joelepain wrote:How does the GC hdmi mod convert the 4:2:2 signal to 4:4:4 ? Does is do a simple data duplication
Duplication looked bad in my tests, so GCVideo uses averaging. There are some methods based on FIR filters that claim to have a higher fidelity, but I haven't tried them because they're annoying to implement and a bit resource-hungry.

(edit: fixed misattribution of quote)
Last edited by Unseen on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Joelepain wrote:does it try to reverse the internal conversion of the gamecube (the one Link83 posted here), a little like the deblur of the ultraHDMI mod do for the N64 ?
It's a destructive process. You can make educated guesses though.
Joelepain wrote:Combine that with the fact that the CPU of the GC can apply some modifcation on the YUV 4:2:2 framebuffer (according to dolphin devs), applying the reverse conversion in these cases could potentially lead to bad results, am I wrong ?
GBIHF is using CPU-based conversion. However, the GPU is programmable enough to reimplement the conversion in a pixel shader.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The Datapath VisionRGB has poor handling of YPbPr, so I hacked in RGsB output for the original component cable.

You're welcome.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Wow, How are you able to change the output of the component cable to RGsB in software?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

YCbCr to YPbPr is a straight digital-to-analog conversion. Who said it had to be YCbCr?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Extrems wrote:The Datapath VisionRGB has poor handling of YPbPr, so I hacked in RGsB output for the original component cable.

You're welcome.
Wow, so is this in a new version of GBI? Did you feed the output into an OSSC or use a converter to feed into a Datapath card? Also if you don't main going into detail, which Datapath card specifically did you find the YPbPr was mishandled, and how was it mishandled?

Much appreciated!
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's part of GBIHF. I'm just using a DVI/Component adapter. All VisionRGB cards are known to be affected.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Extrems wrote:It's part of GBIHF. I'm just using a DVI/Component adapter. All VisionRGB cards are known to be affected.
Okay but what is the nature of the mishandling? What does it look like versus what it should look like? I'm curious to see this on my own E1S card's Vision window output.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The automatic levels adjustment assume RGB, resulting in a green tint. It's fixable with manual controls. I'm still getting hang of it.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Since Cb/Cr are outputting at every other pixel, does that mean in RGsB mode Red and Blue have half horizontal resolution?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GBIHF halves luma resolution to reconcile with chroma. It's effectively N64 VI blur.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Wow this looks amazing :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot get the HF or OSSC versions of GBI to display pixel perfect on my OSSC :/

The XRGB version works perfectly fine and I get a pixel perfect result with these settings:

Adv. Timing: 320x240
H. Samplerate: 429
H. Synclean: 31
H. Backporch: 48
H. Active 320
Sampling Phase: 0
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You need H. samplerate=433
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you very much! :)

This really does look excellent. With sync LPF at the default max setting, a Sampling Phase of 135 deg seem to give the best results with the least amount of shadows, judging by the file select screen in Minish Cap.

The hearts look so much nicer now that they don't have that drop shadow that was caused by the chroma shift from component :)

So would this be possible to implement in say Swiss, and have all 480p games run in RGsB too? :)
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

Terribly offtopic but this seemed to be a good place to talk to people familiar with GC component. I came into possession of a modded component cable for VGA. I tried using it on a generic flat panel TV and I get horizontal lines on 480p, not present on 480i. I did some reading and apparently this is to be expected on a flat panel and it wouldn't happen if using on a CRT or using an upscaler. Is that true? All of the info I was reading was old, so I was curious if this cable is supposed to have something done to prevent this or if this info is still true.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Really enjoying my GCDual, Thanks again citrus3000psi

It does feel more like a GCTrio to me though :)

parodius

Post by parodius »

Very clean install, Syntax.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.