consolized neo geo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mvsfan

consolized neo geo

Post by mvsfan »

i just found something that will make building one a bit easier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-DB15-Male-S ... 1438.l2649

these will save time.
buttersoft

Re: consolized neo geo

Post by buttersoft »

mvsfan wrote:i just found something that will make building one a bit easier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-DB15-Male-S ... 1438.l2649

these will save time.
Heads up that Frank_fjs on AA designed a super-cheap supergun recently, which takes Neo-Geo controllers as designed, and there were some comments about the fact the Neo-Geo DB15 female plugs are super deep and need a male plug with really long pins. Might pay to check before you go ordering batches of a hundred mb :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

about the fact the Neo-Geo DB15 female plugs are super deep and need a male plug with really long pins.
they're are, but I've been using NG controllers on standard DB15 sockets for two and a half decades and never had any contact problems.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

whats the deal with the neobiosmasta at neogeofanclub.com? are they ever going up for sale again? i need one.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

from their website:

I should have regular NeoBiosMasta boards back in stock in a few weeks.

-Brian
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

wow, that update was today. Their last one was in February.

thanks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-K3qHcJ2w

Madlittlepixel on YT published a review of these chinese CMVS units available on Aliexpress today. These actually look pretty nice, although it seems to have blown up his OSSC. They probably routed the arcade board's RGB and Sync levels directly to the RGBs output, meaning it needs to be modified before using it with a OSSC first.

It seems totally weird to see something like this becoming available on a site like Aliexpress - - I mean how people are in the market for a machine like this ?

Nevertheless I'm VERY tempted to get one of these.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fudoh wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-K3qHcJ2w

Madlittlepixel on YT published a review of these chinese CMVS units available on Aliexpress today. These actually look pretty nice, although it seems to have blown up his OSSC. They probably routed the arcade board's RGB and Sync levels directly to the RGBs output, meaning it needs to be modified before using it with a OSSC first.

It seems totally weird to see something like this becoming available on a site like Aliexpress - - I mean how people are in the market for a machine like this ?

Nevertheless I'm VERY tempted to get one of these.
I'd love to hear more.

I was very disappointed that YPbPr was not tested.

Do you think it could have been the audio that damaged the OSSC?
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

ultra high csync level seems more likely, but I just asked marqs about it. If that's the case, then CMVS to VGA (instead of Scart) would be safe.

And I just ordered one. We'll see :mrgreen:
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fudoh wrote:
ultra high csync level seems more likely, but I just asked marqs about it. If that's the case, then CMVS to VGA (instead of Scart) would be safe.

And I just ordered one. We'll see :mrgreen:
I'm already jealous.

If the component output is good, I'm definitely getting one. :)
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

definitely looking forward to it as well. I'll make sure to have a matching PSU and YUV cable ready.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I really like their version that uses the MV-1B. they built 2 custom pcbs that solder to the two card edge connectors, so they can lay the cartridge connetor flat like an MV-1C. Probably works on the Mv-1A too.

I wish somebody sold them seperate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEO-GEO-MVS-CO ... SwU8xa11zd

Btw, those empty spaces on the front pcb inside are for sega saturn control pads, and a control chip to convert them to Jamma.
most of these systems ive seen dont have them installed though like this one.
Jumpingmanjim

Post by Jumpingmanjim »

Are any of these DB15 breakouts suitable for mounting in a box?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

those breakouts i showed can be mounted in a panel. You would just replace the pc style standoffs with screws.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Im also looking forward to you getting that CBOX MVS, fudoh. wondering how good it is and what can be improved.

If its good im going to order one too. I have a stack of mvs carts and nothing to play them on since my 6 slot quit working.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Hey the NeoBiosmasta is back in stock at Neogeofanclub.com if anyone else needs one.

I just got mine.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Huh. I see the NeoBiosMasta is in stock... but should I just wait for the NeoBiosMasta VMC instead? All I've got is an MV-1C. How crucial is memory card support anyway?

...never mind, I just got a NeoBiosMasta...
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I just bought a CBOX consolized mvs.

It will be hooked up through an Extron mvx. My output cable on the mvx was already attenuated to 75 ohm because the mvx outputs TTL.

that should fix any sync issue the cbox has and it should be safe to plug into the scart to component converter through the mvx, right?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Triple Lei wrote:Huh. I see the NeoBiosMasta is in stock... but should I just wait for the NeoBiosMasta VMC instead? All I've got is an MV-1C. How crucial is memory card support anyway?

...never mind, I just got a NeoBiosMasta...
The person doing my CMVS asked me if I want the same VMC installed and that it'll be extra wait and cost. I tried hard but couldn't think of a reason to have it so went without it in the end. Saving in the middle of Metal Slug sounds great if I'm playing on the go (Switch does it right) but at home if I can't finish the game in one sitting then I've probably gotten too old :lol:
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

What do guys think a Neo-geo memory card actually saves??
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

isnt it just for saving high scores on the MVS? I never used one before.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Syntax wrote:What do guys think a Neo-geo memory card actually saves??
Info about them on the internet is rather sparse. Is one worth it in your opinion?
EDIT: New Unibios is supposed to handle high scores I think. This page has some more in depth explanation it seems: Link
But overall I'm pretty clueless about the whole thing.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I got my Cbox yesterday. I noticed, it has stereo audio jacks on the back but they are hooked up as Mono. I Intend to fix that and re-wire them direct to the chip as stereo.

Component video output appears to work great. And its full screen too no borders.

I have not tried to use the RGB or composite outputs yet.

My Cbox appears to have a Brand new, or almost new MV-1C motherboard. The cartridge slot pins appear to be unused and it has a very good grip on the game. also, no dirt in it.

It has Sega saturn as well as neo geo controller ports on it and the sega saturn control ports work great. havent tried neo geo ones yet.

A minor annoyance -It arrived with a dead battery and i think i have to take it apart to replace it.
not good that should have been replaced beforehand with a socketed rechargable battery.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Most of the time the battery is dead because the system needs to be on for so long to charge it.

From what ive seen most people just remove the charge circuit and put a socketed non rechargable in its place and replace it from time to time.

I think the only thing it really holds is 7? titles high scores at a time.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

it holds the bios settings, without it the bios resets to default.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I opened up the cbox today. there is no battery its missing.

what were they trying to do here?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Can someone explain what's the gain in adding a DFO to a CMVS? I know what it's for but does that stuttering problem only manifests on LCD screens? Will I have problem with the odd refresh rate when playing on a CRT? I noticed the new consolized MVS by JMX includes a DFO but the person doing my CMVS seems to think it's pointless due to the small gain of in-game speed. Just wondering whether it's something I need to be worried about. What refresh rate will a MVS board run inside a cab? Doesn't the DFO alter the "original arcade experience"? :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

MVS runs at 59.15Hz, doesn't it ?

If you play on a CRT you won't have any problems. LCDs usually still display the signal, but the signal might get framerate converted.

A reason to add a frequency mod - even if you're playing on a CRT - is that might want to record the signal and here 59.15Hz can cause real problems.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Id like to figure out why theres no batteries in these Cboxes. On mine anyway, it doesnt save any of the bios settings and always defaults back to Europe; Arcade for the system settings.

also it appears that they changed a few things in the unibios which i dont like. Since its a custom flashed chip im wondering if i can still disable it by lifting the two pins on it like the instructions over at neogeofanclub say to do, or if i would just have to remove it.

But i took a close look on aliexpress as well as ebay, and it looks like all Cboxes have no battery.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Fudoh wrote:MVS runs at 59.15Hz, doesn't it ?

If you play on a CRT you won't have any problems. LCDs usually still display the signal, but the signal might get framerate converted.

A reason to add a frequency mod - even if you're playing on a CRT - is that might want to record the signal and here 59.15Hz can cause real problems.
Yep, that's what I've heard as well. And I'm guessing this frame conversion (which now that I think about it will be unavoidable on a LCD) is what can cause the stuttering? I don't have any plans for recording gameplay so all should be good. Thanks a lot Fudoh!