Degica Shmups Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: Degica Shmups Thread

Post by EmperorIng »

Pedro Lambrini wrote: SI: Infinity Gene. Please make it Infinity Gene! :)
Even though this has essentially been ruled out, I'd love to see this ported. I can't imagine this XBLA game being that hard to bring over to PC.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

The Coop wrote:Under Defeat HD would be really, really awesome.
Didn't G. Rev self publish Strania though?
Shepardus wrote:Nick never said it's one of the devs Degica has worked with for STGs...

Actually he didn't even say that the teaser is for an STG, though I assume it is if he's bothering to tease it here...
Well Triangle Service hasn't put Pengo on steam yet :twisted:
RecklessRave

Post by RecklessRave »

Shooter Maker by Enterbrain?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

KAI wrote:They worked with M2 (Koihime Enbu / Unknown Games, M2). Is it Garegga Rev.2016?
This would be goddamn amazing.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

NickPalmerDegica wrote:Be prepared for a teaser video to drop late this week.

Does anyone want to take guesses on the game?

Two hints:

1. It's from a dev we have already worked with.
2. Not CAVE.
Border Down please.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

T-minus 2 hours, 50 minutes

(unless I have my time zones wrong. Noon Japan time)
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

**starts clicking heels together**

There's no place like Under Defeat HD. There's no place like Under Defeat HD.
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

Last edited by NickPalmerDegica on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSK

Post by GSK »

http://senkoro.com/

Senko no Ronde 2: Reassembly from Duo, out for PS4 & PC this summer!
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

That's really cool.

GOG release, too, please.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I've still yet to check out the first one on the 360 even though it sells for peanuts, but it's nice knowing the sequel will be available now.
No idea my laptop and internet situation is good enough for netplay, though.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I'm completely hyped about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mech fighters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shmups

Now the question, is this going to get a physical release on PS4?
That shitty 2hu clone got a disc release in the west, and even a LE including the OST and some other crap.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

testing testing 1 2 3
rtw

Post by rtw »

James_Degica wrote:testing testing 1 2 3
We see you James :D
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Now I've been allowed in, I'll try to keep you (somewhat) up to date on what we're doing over at Degica RE shooting games!
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

James_Degica wrote:Now I've been allowed in, I'll try to keep you (somewhat) up to date on what we're doing over at Degica RE shooting games!
Always much appreciated! Even if people here aren't very happy about how some shmups run on Steam, I'll always try to support your releases whenever possible.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
christmascameearly

Post by christmascameearly »

James_Degica wrote:Now I've been allowed in, I'll try to keep you (somewhat) up to date on what we're doing over at Degica RE shooting games!
Psst...Futari...
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

christmascameearly wrote:
Psst...Pink Sweets & Muchi Muchi Pork...
Fixed!
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

It's been nearly 18 months since DFK with no word on any more cave releases, so that project looks to be over. I had expected them to do Akai Katana since that already has an international translation, but I guess the three they released weren't lucrative enough to continue.

Degica should get with Hamster and try to get us some ACA titles on Steam.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

OmegaFlareX wrote:It's been nearly 18 months since DFK with no word on any more cave releases, so that project looks to be over. I had expected them to do Akai Katana since that already has an international translation, but I guess the three they released weren't lucrative enough to continue.

Degica should get with Hamster and try to get us some ACA titles on Steam.
My guess is that it was up to Cave to properly support the ports that Degica published and we know the state of Cave today. They probably have no one left who can deliver near-arcade perfect tuning of those games. They rather license the IPs to M2 who do all the heavy lifting while they focus on their mobile garbage.

Tbh Degica is already great in my book from bringing us DBCS and soon Groove Coaster. I would love to see more IPs from Taito on Steam.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

If another Cave port's coming I've already predicted ESPgaluda II would be next on Steam, with the usual added technical issues, inaccuracies, and disappointment.

But there will be no drama this time since nobody cares about ESPgaluda II anyway. :mrgreen:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Oniros wrote:Always much appreciated! Even if people here aren't very happy about how some shmups run on Steam, I'll always try to support your releases whenever possible.
All I can say is we'll do our best to please as many players as possible and hope we can live up to the games we are lucky enough to be involved with.

@christmascameearly, @z0mbie90, @OmegaFlareX
Thanks for the suggestions; I try my best to keep abreast of them here & on Steam and much as I'd like to get into details, I can't.
Whereas there hasn't been a new Cave game since DDPR, we have published Castle of Shikigami, Senko no Ronde 2, Game Tengoku and Space Invaders Extreme and as we've mentioned on Steam, we're still working with Cave, so don't give up hope.

Speaking of Senko no Ronde 2... https://twitter.com/DegicaGames/status/ ... 1808806912

@Oniros
Taito is a favourite, so I'm only too happy to be working with them. Who knows what will come after Groove Coaster.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Xyga wrote:If another Cave port's coming I've already predicted ESPgaluda II would be next on Steam, with the usual added technical issues, inaccuracies, and disappointment.

But there will be no drama this time since nobody cares about ESPgaluda II anyway. :mrgreen:
I do. It's a great game and what got me into shmupping in the first place. (Okay, it was the iPad version, but nevertheless, I started to get into shmups on "real" hardware and developped an unhealthy obsessions with sticks, but I digress...) :D
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Mushihimesama got a Chinese language patch just last month, so there's definitely a pulse on the Degica-Cave front.

Degica's done a good job giving these games new life. However, M2's porting work is on a completely different level. If it were possible, I'd want all Cave shmups to get the Shottriggers treatment, then Degica can bring them to PC, which M2 doesn't seem to be interested in. :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Galuda II is a really good game but not everyone's cup of tea, within cave's library it is definitely not as popular as any Mushi or Pachi.
(bit unfair isn't it?)

Regarding M2; maybe they know PC is too much trouble and they're fine working only with consoles ? If so I think that's fine, there's enough consoles out there, customers pool is large enough, the hardware is known fixed factor, they have skilled people and taste, why risk their fate with bloody damned Steam ?
clippa

Post by clippa »

M2 have a few things on steam - http://store.steampowered.com/search/?d ... 0Co.%2CLTD

One published by degica, so maybe they're in talks about the shottriggers series?

Maybe these games just sell far better on console?
It's so easy to get lost in the tidal wave of new releases on steam as well nowadays. Finding good games is a lot of effort that most gamers just aren't prepared to put in.

PC is a far less transient platform too, if you do a really good port of a game, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot if you were planning on selling that same game to the same people in 5-10 years time.

I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the switch bandwagon, it's having a big honeymoon period at the minute.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I had the technique in mind, see how Cave struggled with porting actual arcade games to PC, consoles are easier/more reliable for that.

M2 have a very critique audience expecting the best quality, in their place I would be wary of a PC port that could break their so far near-flawless record.

PS: +1 for the Switch
clippa

Post by clippa »

That's down to the developers rather than the platform though.
I'd agree that commercial japanese devs seem really inexperienced when it comes to the pc as a gaming platform but the folk who make doujin games have been managing pretty well for the longest time.

I take your point, if you're after an easy life, it's far easier to develop for one single configuration of hardware, but M2 seem to really know what they're doing in that regard, I can't imagine they've been taking any shortcuts or bodging things on there.
I have a bit more faith in their abilities than I do in whoever's left at cave. Their decision to do those pc ports in-house, I'm assuming was a money saving exercise rather than them thinking they were the best folk for the job.

The dev build of battle garegga they were testing at some show was running on windows - https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201610120071/
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

clippa wrote:I'd agree that commercial japanese devs seem really inexperienced when it comes to the pc as a gaming platform but the folk who make doujin games have been managing pretty well for the longest time.
I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of programming/porting/etc., but I seem to recall the main "professed issue" when it came to the Cave Steam ports in particular was replicating (to fans' satisfaction) slowdown levels and other such specs of specific arcade hardware on the much more variable PC platform, which wouldn't be an issue for native doujin developers.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

BulletMagnet wrote:
clippa wrote:I'd agree that commercial japanese devs seem really inexperienced when it comes to the pc as a gaming platform but the folk who make doujin games have been managing pretty well for the longest time.
I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of programming/porting/etc., but I seem to recall the main "professed issue" when it came to the Cave Steam ports in particular was replicating (to fans' satisfaction) slowdown levels and other such specs of specific arcade hardware on the much more variable PC platform, which wouldn't be an issue for native doujin developers.
The fact that that's even an issue is concerning (albeit not surprising) because it implies that the gameplay code is tied to the hardware speed. It's far from impossible to keep the two decoupled (for specific examples, notice that MAME runs at the same speed on any system assuming the system meets the base requirements to run it at 100% speed, or just play any online multiplayer game). If you target both PS4 and Xbox One, or even just PS4 and PS4 Pro, you're already going to have to deal with that, albeit to a lesser extent.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube