Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by BulletMagnet »

Would the blood-spattered banners that appear when you perform a "prestige kill" in Vasara count? I assume Cave's various flashy multiplier/cancel pyrotechnics aren't really what you're looking for...
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

M.Knight wrote:Macross 2 has a lot of flashy text to announce the point bonuses you have unlocked, alongside a fast-paced musical jingle.

What kind of other shmups have the same kind of feature? I know the Star Soldier and Bullet Soul games do that with their bonuses, but are there any others? The flashier, the more exciting, and the more dynamic, the better.
When you get a maximum bonus in Space Bomber (10-enemy chain reaction, 100000 points) it's announced with big flashy digits and a little jingle: https://youtu.be/4gFMDg0_Jws?t=36
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I just started playing Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai) on Sega Saturn and I'm really enjoying it! Of course I suck at it – is there a way to turn on unlimited continues? The option menus are in Japanese which I can't read. If not, I guess I'll have to try to get this to run in MAME instead where I have unlimited virtual quarters ;)
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Dochartaigh wrote:I just started playing Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai) on Sega Saturn and I'm really enjoying it! Of course I suck at it – is there a way to turn on unlimited continues? The option menus are in Japanese which I can't read. If not, I guess I'll have to try to get this to run in MAME instead where I have unlimited virtual quarters ;)
I don't know if the related option allows for unlimited credits, but here's a reference translation I concocted for myself a while ago (Otokuyo ver.):

Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Kollision wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:I just started playing Terra Diver (Soukyugurentai) on Sega Saturn and I'm really enjoying it! Of course I suck at it – is there a way to turn on unlimited continues? The option menus are in Japanese which I can't read. If not, I guess I'll have to try to get this to run in MAME instead where I have unlimited virtual quarters ;)
I don't know if the related option allows for unlimited credits, but here's a reference translation I concocted for myself a while ago (Otokuyo ver.):
Cool, thanks, I'll try that when I get home. The ones which seem to apply to me are the "Credits" (which has an English number so I'm good there ;) but the more important one (since even if that credit number goes to 99, lol, I might still need some more to beat the game - did I mention i suck? ;) is the "Extends". Is that how many times you can continue? Or I see like "1st" and "2nd" there...so I'll need X amount of points to continue? No way to have unlimited continues on this game? (which would make the Saturn version pointless for me).
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Extends == Extra lives. It sets how many points you need to earn a 1up. Not remotely familiar with the game, but in a lot of games if you up the credits enough you'll eventually get an option called "freeplay" which is unlimited continues. In some games you earn continues the more time you play, so you might only start out with like 3 continues, but then you'll eventually be able to use more, and with enough time you'll eventually unlock freeplay. IDK how it works in Souky though. As an aside, Maybe I need to change my options, but when I tried playing Souky in MAME the framerate was all over the place, so it was basically unplayable.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Bullet Magnet : Vasara defintely counts! I haven't thought about looking into CAVE's flashy digits when cashing in the big bonuses but they can defintely be a valid source of inspiration so I'll look into them as well.

Shepardus : Oh, nice! I have even played a bit of Space Bomber. Wonder why I forgot about its little jingle and flashy digits, there are really encouraging.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What’s the relationship between Yuri and Kid in Gunhound EX?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Say some idiot were to instigate a full uninstallation of his games whilst trying to fix an issue with the Steam client. He would probably have lost all of his progress in Dariusburst's CS mode when he reinstalled it, aye?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What's the order of release of Triangle Service's "Zeal" series? I know there's Trizeal, Deltazeal, and Exzeal, but what order were they released?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Trizeal, Deltazeal, Exzeal according to Wikipedia.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

"DeltaZeal" was originally released as "G-Stream G2020" before Triangle Service even had its current name, so I'm pretty sure it's the oldest of the "Zeal" games - if memory serves XII Stag (or "XIIZeal") came after that, then Trizeal, then ExZeal.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Understood.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

BulletMagnet wrote:"DeltaZeal" was originally released as "G-Stream G2020" before Triangle Service even had its current name, so I'm pretty sure it's the oldest of the "Zeal" games - if memory serves XII Stag (or "XIIZeal") came after that, then Trizeal, then ExZeal.
Ah, that would explain why I couldn't find either DeltaZeal or G-Stream G2020 on the Triangle Service wiki page. I stand corrected then.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

In MAME's latest version (0.195), the list of games displays by default every single game that exists in MAME's game database, when the older versions and ShmupMAME which I am used to only show those who are available in your folder. In the options menu, you can change the game filter to only display those you do have, but the setting is infuriatingly reset every single time I close the application.
Is there a way to somehow force MAME to remember this setting and act the same way previous versions did, do I have to create a shortcut with an obscure command attached for something so basic, or am I SOL?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

It should automatically write a file called ui.ini that saves those settings. I don't know why it doesn't for you, but you could try creating your own ui.ini in the directory with the contents:

Code: Select all

last_used_filter          Available
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I checked my folder and the ui.ini file is there.
The weird thing is that even if I replace "Unfiltered" by "Available", MAME completely ignores it, and even replaces it with "Unfiltered" again when I close it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Maybe try reinstalling it, or something? That seems pretty weird

Here's a question: In non-steam versions of Blue Revolver, how are you supposed to update it? Also has there been any word on the "Black Label" version of it that was supposed to come out this month?
1) Create Scoring System
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

There are plenty of boss-focused shmups or boss rush game modes, where the game de-emphasizes or entirely cuts out the stages in favor of its bosses, but what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages? I can't think of much besides caravan modes and early fixed shooters, and the training stage of Raiden DX (yes there's a boss at the end but it's close enough in my book). inb4 "what exactly is a boss"
M.Knight wrote:I checked my folder and the ui.ini file is there.
The weird thing is that even if I replace "Unfiltered" by "Available", MAME completely ignores it, and even replaces it with "Unfiltered" again when I close it.
Hmm that's weird, I would guess either a bug or an issue with file permissions.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Shepardus wrote: what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages? [/size]
Like Xevious? Hmm....been years but I recall Power Strike being sort of like that too.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Mars Matrix tends to have bosses that you can kill pretty quickly, but the stage 5 and final bosses are still big multiphase battles, and stage 4 boss is hard enough that you'll notice it. Under Defeat also has mostly quick kills, but stage 2 and 5 bosses are pretty drawn out affairs. Ditto R-Type, except that the whole of stage 3 is just a boss. Probably not a very helpful list, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

EDIT: depending on what you consider to be a boss, also, maybe some of those aren't great picks. I was thinking end bosses, but I guess some of them have boss like sections in stages (mostly Under Defeat's stage 5, and arguably stage 4 has some of these). Mars Matrix has a stage 4 midboss, but it's a joke unless you're trying to chain through it in which case it's still not very difficult, However the stage has quite a few battleships that could be considered bosses depending on your perspective. Also a lot of battleships in Under Defeat stage 2.
1) Create Scoring System
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Shepardus wrote:what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages?
Scramble
Super Cobra
Cardinal Sins, which has only one final boss iirc?
a few indie shmups such as Hypership Out of Control, Pixelosity, MechFish
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Shepardus wrote:what games do the opposite, eschewing bosses in favor of maintaining the flow of the stages?
Spoiler
*COUGH*COUGH*HACK*WHEEZE*
No Smash TV damage sponge bosses to hold back the pace here.
Twin Eagle: Revenge Joe's brother fits the bill, but it also eschews things like quality.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I wonder why basically no recent games lack boss battles. Well, I mean, I suppose it's probably because most players like them, but it is kind of an interesting trend.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Milestone fans!

Does Stevens want to buy Radirgy , Karous, or Chaos Field? What is great about each title?
My lord, I have come for you.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Ok, where can I get that song at the beginning of this superplay video? I love shit like this.
https://youtu.be/G1WkH_bF5O0
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Stevens wrote:Milestone fans!

Does Stevens want to buy Radirgy , Karous, or Chaos Field? What is great about each title?
Chaosfield is their best game. More interesting scoring and something vaguely resembling a challenge.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Radirgy is a very fun game if you get into its scoring-for-fun. It is kind of the emblematic game of that dev. A lot of people don't get it and/or are put off by the visual/audio style though.
For something more orthodox from them there's Chaos Field, indeed.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I would recommend Radirgy.

Chaos Field is a bit more standard and is about using your weapons to keep up a chain against a set of boss fights. The chain increases mostly by cancelling bullets and there is a bit of a puzzle aspect as you learn the bosses' bullet spawn points and use that knowledge to boost your chain.

Radirgy and Karous have more caravan-like scoring systems and stage designs : lots of enemy waves to quick-kill to spawn some more. Out of the two, Radirgy is the better one IMO because Karous' leveling system makes you start with weaker weapons whereas Radirgy is more about immediate fun.

Radirgy has a rather laid-back, pleasant and stylish atmosphere and visual style. If you liked Jet-Set Radio's visuals, this is the game for you.
In terms of difficulty, Karous is defintely the easiest one, even if you try to score. Radirgy can seem rather easy as well thanks to the very frequent bomb recharges during the stages themselves but I think the later stages' bosses can be tricky even if you are simply trying to survive and time them out.

I can understand wanting a survival challenge in a shmup but claiming the cell-shaded Milestone shmups are bad because they are rather easy survival-wise is like complaining about clearing a Star Soldier caravan mode on the first try. A mere clear is not what those games are, and if you check the difference between a very safe survival run and an intense scoring one, there are a lot of differences. Not only in terms of player actions, but also in terms of fun, because it's by trying to score that you really interact with the level-design and make full use of your fun and deadly toys.

And in any case, all three games have fantastic soundtracks.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Which system are you considering getting the game for? The ports of each vary in quality and features, so that might factor into what gets recommended.