gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
loukey

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by loukey »

Rupert H wrote:Okay, no worries. I’ll take the TV to an engineer and see what they say. Thanks for reply and I’ll update this when I get more information.
If it won’t turn on at all, did you make sure the built-in fuse or breaker in the surge protector was not tripped? I apologize if this sounds patronizing, not intentional. I’m a pretty bright guy but I definitely spent 2 hours disassembling a tv and using my multimeter on the motherboard to diagnose what was wrong when it was just a surge had tripped the surge protector and I hadn’t pressed the breaker reset nubbin hard enough.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

loukey wrote:
Rupert H wrote:Okay, no worries. I’ll take the TV to an engineer and see what they say. Thanks for reply and I’ll update this when I get more information.
If it won’t turn on at all, did you make sure the built-in fuse or breaker in the surge protector was not tripped? I apologize if this sounds patronizing, not intentional. I’m a pretty bright guy but I definitely spent 2 hours disassembling a tv and using my multimeter on the motherboard to diagnose what was wrong when it was just a surge had tripped the surge protector and I hadn’t pressed the breaker reset nubbin hard enough.

Thanks for the suggestion, and don’t worry about patronising — I really don’t know what I’m doing here. :-)

I did check the internal power fuse inside the TV next to the power supply with a multimeter, and it still appears to be functional. I’ve Googled around to see if there’s a breaker switch that needs resetting but I can’t seem to find any information on that. What did it look like on yours?
superg

Post by superg »

markedkiller78 wrote:I’m days too late :cry:

I appreciate you’ve just sold out, but will there be another gscart run?
For sure there will be another run. I have to finish something before ordering a new batch. I'll put some extra units on sale in 3 weeks.
loukey

Post by loukey »

Rupert H wrote:
loukey wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, and don’t worry about patronising — I really don’t know what I’m doing here. :-)

I did check the internal power fuse inside the TV next to the power supply with a multimeter, and it still appears to be functional. I’ve Googled around to see if there’s a breaker switch that needs resetting but I can’t seem to find any information on that. What did it look like on yours?
I spent all that time looking at the TVs board, but when I plugged it into the wall instead of the surge protector I was surprised to find it worked. At that point I looked at the surge protector and to my surprise found there was a green button on the side that had popped out. When pushed in it fixed the surge protector so I assume it’s a circuit breaker. That’s why I am suggesting to ensure your outlet and surge protector are working, I made that mistake.
markedkiller78

Post by markedkiller78 »

superg wrote:
markedkiller78 wrote:I’m days too late :cry:

I appreciate you’ve just sold out, but will there be another gscart run?
For sure there will be another run. I have to finish something before ordering a new batch. I'll put some extra units on sale in 3 weeks.

Awesome. I’ll keep an eye on the thread :D
Allied Ibara Rebels
Katsu

Post by Katsu »

Has anyone experienced issues with Chrono Trigger and gscartsw_lite to a BVM?

I have an RGB modded U.S. SNES Jr going into the gscartsw_lite then out to a Sony BVM 1911. I noticed last night that when I play Chrono Trigger, the BVM will sometimes "freak out" (looks like a re-sync or something???) for a second when going to/from the in-game Menu (i.e. I hit the X button.) I'll load the game via SD2SNES, and everything looks fine, then I start playing and hit X and then these thin, red, slanted, but mostly horizontal lines flash on the screen real quick, then the game menu comes up. When I hit B to exit the menu, the same red lines thing happens for a second.

I used to have this exact setup going through a passive Bandbridge SCART switcher, and I don't recall ever seeing this during a game of Chrono Trigger with that switcher. I've heard of some games that change resolutions between menus, but I've seen conflicting information on whether this happens in Chrono Trigger. I've read that it happens in Chrono Cross (PS1 game), but I'm playing the SNES Chrono Trigger.

I'm using cables from retreogamingcables UK that use composite sync.

Anyone have any clues?

P.S. The gscartsw_lite is also simultaneously outputting to an OSSC to a AV receiver and then to a 4K TV, and that doesn't have the same problem. The BVM and 4K TV both are running at once, and only the BVM freaks out. I can post a video if anyone thinks it will help.
centsy

Post by centsy »

I have a bit of an odd setup. I have a couple consoles that I want to connect via s-video. I bought some s-video to SCART adapters and connected them to the gscartsw_lite. Then I have another adapter SCART to s-video adapter connected to the output which goes to my TV. This works as long as the console is connected to the last input, but switching does not work. Is there any way to get the gscartsw_lite to switch between these consoles, or is it just not going to detect these sources automatically since it isn't actually RGB?
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Huge thanks for repairing my gscart superg, haven't had a chance to setup again yet but super excited.

Wondering if you'd ever thought about a gscart mini (4 inputs). I have 10 scart inputs so buying a second unit feels overkill and if jump on a smaller cheaper option...
gordon-creAtive

Post by gordon-creAtive »

Katsu wrote:Has anyone experienced issues with Chrono Trigger and gscartsw_lite to a BVM?
Have you tried that setup without the gscartsw?
centsy wrote:I have a bit of an odd setup.
The gscartsw_lite is supposed to switch on Composite, S-Video and RGBS (because their sync signals are all on the same pin in a SCART plug), so in theory your setup should work flawlessly. I do have all three signal types hooked up to mine without issues. Are you sure your adapters are working properly?
superg

Post by superg »

centsy wrote:I have a bit of an odd setup. I have a couple consoles that I want to connect via s-video. I bought some s-video to SCART adapters and connected them to the gscartsw_lite. Then I have another adapter SCART to s-video adapter connected to the output which goes to my TV. This works as long as the console is connected to the last input, but switching does not work. Is there any way to get the gscartsw_lite to switch between these consoles, or is it just not going to detect these sources automatically since it isn't actually RGB?
S-Video Y carries sync and should be passed using SCART pin 20 (and taken from SCART pin 19 on output) - this way the switch will detect the signal. From what you're saying it looks like you're using gscartsw v3.4 and if it works only on input 8 it means that sync isn't properly detected. What you can do is to disassemble your S-Video SCART adapters and make sure SCART pin 20/19 is used for S-Video Y.
Katsu wrote:Has anyone experienced issues with Chrono Trigger and gscartsw_lite to a BVM?

I have an RGB modded U.S. SNES Jr going into the gscartsw_lite then out to a Sony BVM 1911. I noticed last night that when I play Chrono Trigger, the BVM will sometimes "freak out" (looks like a re-sync or something???) for a second when going to/from the in-game Menu (i.e. I hit the X button.) I'll load the game via SD2SNES, and everything looks fine, then I start playing and hit X and then these thin, red, slanted, but mostly horizontal lines flash on the screen real quick, then the game menu comes up. When I hit B to exit the menu, the same red lines thing happens for a second.

I used to have this exact setup going through a passive Bandbridge SCART switcher, and I don't recall ever seeing this during a game of Chrono Trigger with that switcher. I've heard of some games that change resolutions between menus, but I've seen conflicting information on whether this happens in Chrono Trigger. I've read that it happens in Chrono Cross (PS1 game), but I'm playing the SNES Chrono Trigger.

I'm using cables from retreogamingcables UK that use composite sync.

Anyone have any clues?

P.S. The gscartsw_lite is also simultaneously outputting to an OSSC to a AV receiver and then to a 4K TV, and that doesn't have the same problem. The BVM and 4K TV both are running at once, and only the BVM freaks out. I can post a video if anyone thinks it will help.
As gordon-creAtive suggests, did you try connecting your SNES directly to your PVM? Does switching sync regeneration on / off helps the problem?
What RGB mod do you use on your SNES Jr?
centsy

Post by centsy »

gordon-creAtive wrote:I have a bit of an odd setup.
The gscartsw_lite is supposed to switch on Composite, S-Video and RGBS (because their sync signals are all on the same pin in a SCART plug), so in theory your setup should work flawlessly. I do have all three signal types hooked up to mine without issues. Are you sure your adapters are working properly?
Well I do get video and sound if they are connected to the correct input, however maybe the sync isn't wired correctly?
superg wrote: S-Video Y carries sync and should be passed using SCART pin 20 (and taken from SCART pin 19 on output) - this way the switch will detect the signal. From what you're saying it looks like you're using gscartsw v3.4 and if it works only on input 8 it means that sync isn't properly detected. What you can do is to disassemble your S-Video SCART adapters and make sure SCART pin 20/19 is used for S-Video Y.
I am using a gscartsw_lite (just received mine from the last batch - thanks!). I found that it is actually using the last active input and not necessarily the last slot. The adapter I'm using is this one from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Vide ... B01M0GP0UK. If anyone has used a different one that is wired correctly, I would love to know!
superg

Post by superg »

centsy wrote: I am using a gscartsw_lite (just received mine from the last batch - thanks!). I found that it is actually using the last active input and not necessarily the last slot. The adapter I'm using is this one from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Vide ... B01M0GP0UK. If anyone has used a different one that is wired correctly, I would love to know!
Oh, so you meant last active and not input 8. In either case the only way is to disassemble your adapter, I don't think there are many gscartsw users who are using S-Video.
axlblazeadam

Post by axlblazeadam »

Not sure if this is an issue caused by the VGA output of the gscartsw (3.2) or my BVM-20F1E, but i have an issue with some screens in certain games.

With Zelda 2, when it switches to the side-scrolling screen i get a dimmed green tint across the whole screen, with a bright line on top of it. During the overworld screen, this is gone. Same thing happens with the screen where you can select the included games on the Sega Master System (model 1).

I'm using RGB SCART from the consoles to the gscartsw and using the SCART output to a Framemeister (with no issues) and the VGA output to a BNC directly in the BVM.

Hoping someone can tell me what is causing this issue.

Image Image
nissling

Post by nissling »

Do you get the same issue when using the underscan mode on the BVM?
Bentrell

Post by Bentrell »

I purchased a Gscartsw_lite during this past production run. I am just now being able to get everything hooked up and tested due to a recent move. Everything works fine except one thing. With every console/game I run there is video noise that scrolls up the screen in bars. It’s pretty minimal, but annoying. When I just connect my console scart cables to my framemeister the video noise is not there. It’s only when running through the Gscartsw. So basically I figure it is either an issue with the switch or an issue with the new scart lead I have to connect the Gscartsw and my framemeister. The lead is a male to male PACKAPUNCH cable from Retro Gaming Cables. I have never had an issue with any of the scart cables I have purchased from them before, but this is the first scart lead I have dealt with. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
superg

Post by superg »

Bentrell wrote:I purchased a Gscartsw_lite during this past production run. I am just now being able to get everything hooked up and tested due to a recent move. Everything works fine except one thing. With every console/game I run there is video noise that scrolls up the screen in bars. It’s pretty minimal, but annoying. When I just connect my console scart cables to my framemeister the video noise is not there. It’s only when running through the Gscartsw. So basically I figure it is either an issue with the switch or an issue with the new scart lead I have to connect the Gscartsw and my framemeister. The lead is a male to male PACKAPUNCH cable from Retro Gaming Cables. I have never had an issue with any of the scart cables I have purchased from them before, but this is the first scart lead I have dealt with. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Definitely there shouldn't be any noise. Does CSYNC/OFF toggle changes anything? It would be nice if you try some other SCART cable, I know it's unlikely but we have to rule out cable anyway.
Bentrell

Post by Bentrell »

superg wrote:
Bentrell wrote:I purchased a Gscartsw_lite during this past production run. I am just now being able to get everything hooked up and tested due to a recent move. Everything works fine except one thing. With every console/game I run there is video noise that scrolls up the screen in bars. It’s pretty minimal, but annoying. When I just connect my console scart cables to my framemeister the video noise is not there. It’s only when running through the Gscartsw. So basically I figure it is either an issue with the switch or an issue with the new scart lead I have to connect the Gscartsw and my framemeister. The lead is a male to male PACKAPUNCH cable from Retro Gaming Cables. I have never had an issue with any of the scart cables I have purchased from them before, but this is the first scart lead I have dealt with. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Definitely there shouldn't be any noise. Does CSYNC/OFF toggle changes anything? It would be nice if you try some other SCART cable, I know it's unlikely but we have to rule out cable anyway.

Thank you for getting back to me. I tried the toggle in all positions, no effect. The cable I am using is long, certainly longer than I need, but it is a thick cable with video and audio shielded separately. The particular cable I have is not the one they recommend specifically for connecting a switch to a scaler though. It will take me some time to get a quality scart lead, but that was going to be my next step to rule out one or the other. One thing I noticed that is very weird... On SNES the bars scroll down, and with Genesis the bars scroll up. Lol random. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality male to male scart lead they have used successfully with this setup before? Retro Gaming Cables is sold out right now of the scart lead they recommend.
superg

Post by superg »

Bentrell wrote: Thank you for getting back to me. I tried the toggle in all positions, no effect. The cable I am using is long, certainly longer than I need, but it is a thick cable with video and audio shielded separately. The particular cable I have is not the one they recommend specifically for connecting a switch to a scaler though. It will take me some time to get a quality scart lead, but that was going to be my next step to rule out one or the other. One thing I noticed that is very weird... On SNES the bars scroll down, and with Genesis the bars scroll up. Lol random. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality male to male scart lead they have used successfully with this setup before? Retro Gaming Cables is sold out right now of the scart lead they recommend.
Well, it could also be power supply - I don't test every one but I've never had problem with that. Are you using the original PSU? Do you have something else 9V with positive polarity?

PM sent.
Bentrell

Post by Bentrell »

superg wrote:
Bentrell wrote: Thank you for getting back to me. I tried the toggle in all positions, no effect. The cable I am using is long, certainly longer than I need, but it is a thick cable with video and audio shielded separately. The particular cable I have is not the one they recommend specifically for connecting a switch to a scaler though. It will take me some time to get a quality scart lead, but that was going to be my next step to rule out one or the other. One thing I noticed that is very weird... On SNES the bars scroll down, and with Genesis the bars scroll up. Lol random. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality male to male scart lead they have used successfully with this setup before? Retro Gaming Cables is sold out right now of the scart lead they recommend.
Well, it could also be power supply - I don't test every one but I've never had problem with that. Are you using the original PSU? Do you have something else 9V with positive polarity?
Yep I am using the PSU that came supplied. It is plugged into a power strip that only has one other actual block style PSU plugged into it. I’m not sure if it is 9v with positive polarity, but I can check later today. However, thinking that it may be an issue with plugging it in to the power strip, I also tried just plugging it directly into a wall socket and still had the same results with the noise. So unless my assumption is wrong there, I don’t think it stems from being plugged into the power strip with other devices. Could it potentially be caused by interference from being too close to another device? It sits right next to my framemeister and TV, consoles are below it on shelves.
superg

Post by superg »

Bentrell wrote: Yep I am using the PSU that came supplied. It is plugged into a power strip that only has one other actual block style PSU plugged into it. I’m not sure if it is 9v with positive polarity, but I can check later today. However, thinking that it may be an issue with plugging it in to the power strip, I also tried just plugging it directly into a wall socket and still had the same results with the noise. So unless my assumption is wrong there, I don’t think it stems from being plugged into the power strip with other devices. Could it potentially be caused by interference from being too close to another device? It sits right next to my framemeister and TV, consoles are below it on shelves.
I keep mine very close to Framemeister, shouldn't be a problem. But try to move it around when turned on and see if it affects the picture, touch the cable as well.
Bentrell

Post by Bentrell »

superg wrote:
Bentrell wrote: Yep I am using the PSU that came supplied. It is plugged into a power strip that only has one other actual block style PSU plugged into it. I’m not sure if it is 9v with positive polarity, but I can check later today. However, thinking that it may be an issue with plugging it in to the power strip, I also tried just plugging it directly into a wall socket and still had the same results with the noise. So unless my assumption is wrong there, I don’t think it stems from being plugged into the power strip with other devices. Could it potentially be caused by interference from being too close to another device? It sits right next to my framemeister and TV, consoles are below it on shelves.
I keep mine very close to Framemeister, shouldn't be a problem. But try to move it around when turned on and see if it affects the picture, touch the cable as well.
Will do. I tried manipulating the cable last night and there was no effect, but I will keep testing some other things tonight to see if I can pin point it. If you don’t mind me asking, what cable do you use to connect the switch to your framemeister?
superg

Post by superg »

Bentrell wrote:
superg wrote:
Will do. I tried manipulating the cable last night and there was no effect, but I will keep testing some other things tonight to see if I can pin point it. If you don’t mind me asking, what cable do you use to connect the switch to your framemeister?
I use KabelDirekt cable for my testing, I also own packapunch (early build) and that other cable from the US lady.
centsy

Post by centsy »

superg wrote:
centsy wrote: I am using a gscartsw_lite (just received mine from the last batch - thanks!). I found that it is actually using the last active input and not necessarily the last slot. The adapter I'm using is this one from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Vide ... B01M0GP0UK. If anyone has used a different one that is wired correctly, I would love to know!
Oh, so you meant last active and not input 8. In either case the only way is to disassemble your adapter, I don't think there are many gscartsw users who are using S-Video.
Strangely after adding some RGB SCART cables to the gscartsw_lite, the S-Video adapters are working. I didn't modify the adapters or anything, but I'm happy it's all working now.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

Is there a timeframe for the gcompsw?

PS, loving every bit of my time with the lite, keep up the great work!
axlblazeadam

Post by axlblazeadam »

nissling wrote:Do you get the same issue when using the underscan mode on the BVM?
Well, suddenly this issue disappeared after reconnecting my two gscartsw units. I think the SCART cable connecting the two units wasn't properly fitted or something.

If the issue comes back, i'll try the underscan option. Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

axlblazeadam wrote:
nissling wrote:Do you get the same issue when using the underscan mode on the BVM?
Well, suddenly this issue disappeared after reconnecting my two gscartsw units. I think the SCART cable connecting the two units wasn't properly fitted or something.

If the issue comes back, i'll try the underscan option. Thanks!
It did look like the blue channel was out on the screenshots, probably a connection issue.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I just took delivery of a Japanese sega master system. I hooked it up with a rgcables rgb scart and found that I can only get a stable sync when plugged into the port closest to he gscartw output. Anything lower than that gives a messy screen. It’s not a problem but is this something to do with the switch or does Jp sms have a weak sync signal?
superg

Post by superg »

LDigital wrote:I just took delivery of a Japanese sega master system. I hooked it up with a rgcables rgb scart and found that I can only get a stable sync when plugged into the port closest to he gscartw output. Anything lower than that gives a messy screen. It’s not a problem but is this something to do with the switch or does Jp sms have a weak sync signal?
I remember somebody else had this issue, it was resolved somehow, I don't remember the details, it could even be on this thread.
For my SMS to see anything on screen (XRGB) I have to turn on CSYNC toggle.
Also SMS is quite old, it might benefit from recap.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Yeah. I took a look at the mobo and it looks like a simple recap job. Job for a rainy day
mc.zwerg

Post by mc.zwerg »

Are there informations about the EXT Header of the gscartsw_lite? I would like to detect which Input is used.