SD cards, saviours of retro gaming (not really?)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
charlie chong

Re: SD cards, saviours of retro gaming (not really?)

Post by charlie chong »

drauch wrote:I thought classic PC gaming was safe for a bit, but now those wankers are starting to catch on as well, thanks to gits like MetalJesus basically urging people to collect them. Fawk off, I don't give a shit about your sealed PC game boxes you dolt. I want those manuals inside you sluts.

But man, guess it's kinda a good thing in a way, putting an ease to the hoarding sensibilities since two goddamn PC boxes basically take up as much room as a small mammal or a newborn baby. But check out the gatefolds on those babies, dammit!

Uhhh but yeah, pretty much stick to emulation with classic console now. And even sans flashcarts if I don't mess with the console since there's some pretty spot-on USB controllers out there now. SNES Buffalo feels mighty fine.

ah i feel for people who love the old pc game stuff the most in this era .. how you gonna play those flight sims without the instructions or all those adventure games without the maps. i actually want to punch metal jesus in his dumb head. :twisted: at least i can play duck tales in rgb without the need for instructions
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

soprano1 wrote:
Udderdude wrote:And don't dump full sets onto your SD card unless you want to spend the next year picking old copies of Madden and horse racing games out of there.
Seriously, I'm fucking surprised people do that. :lol:
i dump full sets but i'm ocd .there's enough space on the sd cards to make more folders sucha s shooters/platform/action etc
i only do it in case my mates want to play fifa 94 or some shit platform game they remember playing from the 90s
JBC

Post by JBC »

I use those Smokemonster sets but I always make a custom folder to copy my favorites in. Some nights I'm hopping from game to game, sort of exploring & discovering things I never knew. Other nights I sit down & play Sweet Home or Golden Axe Warrior from start to finish without sleeping :lol:
Godzilla was an inside job
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Well, you know that saying, 90% of everything is crap .. :lol:
Austin

Post by Austin »

Flash carts offer the convenience of emulation with the feeling of using real hardware. Best of both worlds, especially if you care about things like input latency, being able to play on a good CRT, etc. They are also a godsend if you do a lot of live streaming from original hardware.

I've got them for most of my cart-based systems and they've definitely helped me curb my collecting habits. Not entirely, but I spend probably 90% less than I used to (not that I've got or should be spending the money anyway). I do still seek out the small few games that don't work on flash devices (i.e., SNES Super FX games), but that's a small compromise I can deal with.

And yeah, I agree other posts here--collecting has gone to total shit. Having been in it since the '90s, it's eye opening to see where prices have gone (and how ridiculous some people are with their money).
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Another advantage of these is the possibility of using fan-translated patches for games that weren't localized at the time, or that had poor and/or censored localizations (Looking at you, Cybernator! :lol: ).
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
JBC

Post by JBC »

True, true. Like I mentioned before I finally got to play through Sweet Home thanks to a fan translation & experience it the way it was meant to be played. I'm also more than halfway through the original Final Fantasy II & Fatal Frame IV. There are improved or completed translations like those for Shining Force III. All available to play on real hardware by various means in 2018.

Just the other day I was checking up on the translations for the SNES Goemon games & it looks like there's been some good progress. Can't wait to slap those onto the SD2SNES & finally scratch the itch after all these years.
Godzilla was an inside job
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

If only the quality of "new" classic consoles was as well built and fair-priced. Nothing beats the original hardware yet, I guess.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BIL wrote:Naked Punch Out!
Tell me more. :lol:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Flash Carts / SD / HDD all the way.

Retro games collecting died around the 2010 period and it's been a long descent to Hell since then, and apparently it can still cross a few circles.

Put your money into those carts and modding consoles, decent dispalys and controls, fuck collection.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Please don't bring your arguments here. :wink:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Herr Schatten wrote:
BIL wrote:Naked Punch Out!
Tell me more. :lol:
GoodROMs NES fullset is home to some weird shit. :wink:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Nice to see how much better gdrom replacement in DCs is looking today than it was last time I checked. Definitely on the list for things to get eventually. On a related note, it appears that GDEMU, which I think people were referring to earlier in this thread is not currently in production, but USB GDROM is.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hey a heads up. I've deleted the off topic posts on this thread.

I keep seeing the same instigators who immediately escalate debate into personal attacks across different threads.

If you continue to negatively disrupt the forum we're going to be handing out bans.

As per the forum rules:
"No personal attacks, threats or harassment of any kind.
Repeated trolling, topic derailing, drive-by one liners, image spam and general offensiveness are not welcome here."

Let's all be a bit more posi, yeah?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Last edited by Udderdude on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:If only the quality of "new" classic consoles was as well built and fair-priced. Nothing beats the original hardware yet, I guess.
AVS is nice, at least. A nice surprise was that my HD TV supports the AVS PAL mode. I tried Elite, EU Rainbow Islands, Super Turrican, and Mario Bros. Classic and they all work great. I also ordered Super NT. I heard that supports PAL too? Any PAL SNES games recommended for SD2SNES?

I liked the Flashback 2, but I didn't use it as much after getting the Harmony flash cart. The new ports for the flashback were a bit weak, as well. At least Conquest of Mars is much better than the weak Caverns of Mars FB port.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Exclusive PAL games? Nothing comes to mind worth playing, it's probably mostly football/soccer games, and odd stuff like The Firemen, which is pretty cool. You should check out the SNES/SFC thread some pages back, BIL and Skykid (I think?) talked positively of that game.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Terranigma is the go-to for SNES PAL exclusives. But honestly, Illusion of Gaia is a lot better.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:Exclusive PAL games? Nothing comes to mind worth playing, it's probably mostly football/soccer games, and odd stuff like The Firemen, which is pretty cool. You should check out the SNES/SFC thread some pages back, BIL and Skykid (I think?) talked positively of that game.
Yeah, I actually have the JP version of that. There is a patched 60 Hz version in English, as well as a US prototype. I'm thinking more of games that run incorrectly in 60 Hz or play better in 50 Hz, rather than PAL exclusives.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:Nice to see how much better gdrom replacement in DCs is looking today than it was last time I checked. Definitely on the list for things to get eventually. On a related note, it appears that GDEMU, which I think people were referring to earlier in this thread is not currently in production, but USB GDROM is.
This is great to hear.

I currently have two working DC's, but have been keeping an eye on this sort of thing for a while now since drive based systems can pretty much go at anytime. I first discovered GD-EMU and quickly discovered the actual difficulty is buying one. A bit later on I also found the USB GDROM. That will probably be the one I go with.

Between the drive replacements and all the VGA to HDMI/component that are coming out the DC will be good for a long while.
My lord, I have come for you.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Sumez wrote:Terranigma is the go-to for SNES PAL exclusives. But honestly, Illusion of Gaia is a lot better.
I'm ashamed to have forgotten about Terranigma. :oops:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

In some cases, HDD can make the game loads faster on disc-based games.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
This is great to hear.

I currently have two working DC's, but have been keeping an eye on this sort of thing for a while now since drive based systems can pretty much go at anytime. I first discovered GD-EMU and quickly discovered the actual difficulty is buying one. A bit later on I also found the USB GDROM. That will probably be the one I go with.

Between the drive replacements and all the VGA to HDMI/component that are coming out the DC will be good for a long while.
I actually have more than one DC with a broken GD ROM drive actually, though at least one of them has been ripped apart and had random electronic components ripped out. Luckily the one that I bought circa 2010 is still working just fine, but yeah, if I can find it, I definitely have one that's ripe for solid state drive replacement.

I also have to say that I'm kinda excited about the fact that some company (can't remember who) is coming out with a component cable in the near future, even though I don't really go in much for videophile stuff beyond just an intellectual interest. This is mostly because basically any HDTV should be able to resolve 720x480p correctly, which will be nice for the rare occasion where I bring the DC over to a friend's house or wtv.
1) Create Scoring System
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BrianC wrote:
soprano1 wrote:Exclusive PAL games? Nothing comes to mind worth playing, it's probably mostly football/soccer games, and odd stuff like The Firemen, which is pretty cool. You should check out the SNES/SFC thread some pages back, BIL and Skykid (I think?) talked positively of that game.
Yeah, I actually have the JP version of that. There is a patched 60 Hz version in English, as well as a US prototype. I'm thinking more of games that run incorrectly in 60 Hz or play better in 50 Hz, rather than PAL exclusives.
Maybe what I should have asked was, should I play Super Turrican 1 and 2 in 50 Hz or 60 Hz?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

This thread here is bringing me back to the days of when the DS was the most popular handheld and games just kept coming out every week.

If it wasn't for flashcards for the DS my library of DS games would never be so big. Get to try before I buy especially JP only games like Jump! Ultimate Stars.

Could say the same for HD Loader for the PS2. I'm discovering new games with the PS2 as I continue to play it. Currently the PS2 is the console I'm most focused on collecting for because of this. Hunting down titles I'm discovering that are actually really great. Luckily most games for the PS2 aren't too expensive.

My favorite go to console for emulation is the Wii. Component on a CRT TV looks gorgeous when playing retro consoles. You can't ask for a better experience.

Regarding PSone games off of HDD. You could go the route of the PSP/PS Vita or a PS3 with custom firmware.

I personally am in the process of ripping my PSone games and uploading the images on my PS Vita and PS3.
At least with the PS3 you can connect it to older CRT TVs via component. PSP as well but the Vita TV only HDMI :(
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Shelcoof wrote:If it wasn't for flashcards for the DS my library of DS games would never be so big. Get to try before I buy especially JP only games like Jump! Ultimate Stars.
Yeah, the problem is that the DS at the time wasn't a 20-year-old console. :wink:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BrianC wrote:
BrianC wrote:
Maybe what I should have asked was, should I play Super Turrican 1 and 2 in 50 Hz or 60 Hz?
Tried both and I'm under the impression both play better in 50 Hz.

At least the DS was region free. Frustrating that the 3DS isn't. At least Switch is and Puyo Puyo Tetris came to it in English for my portable Puyo Puyo Tetris fix. I wish SEGA wasn't so picky about releasing their JP games overseas (still no 3DS or Xbox One Puyo Puyo Tetris in the US, though at least the PS4 and Switch versions came here). It's looking like that 3DS collection with Turbo Outrun and Alien Syndrome will never come to the US and Europe.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I'm still holding my breath for Sega Classics archive 3 to get released already over here

Almost the entire compilation of games included is awesome!

Owning and playing them in 3D is something I'm still looking forward to
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote: I also have to say that I'm kinda excited about the fact that some company (can't remember who) is coming out with a component cable in the near future,
HD Retrovision?

http://www.hdretrovision.com/development/

At some point I will want that or an Akura.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
LordHypnos wrote: I also have to say that I'm kinda excited about the fact that some company (can't remember who) is coming out with a component cable in the near future,
HD Retrovision?

http://www.hdretrovision.com/development/

At some point I will want that or an Akura.
Yeah HD Retrovision's the one. Had to look up Akura, but that looks sweet. Might actually be better as HDMI is probably more future proof. I wonder how well TVs usually handle 720x480x60p through HDMI? Or is it also an upscaler? Gonna have to do some research.
1) Create Scoring System