Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LordHypnos

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by LordHypnos »

Well, I spent my last couple of sessions doing full runs of Giga Wang 2, and I could not for the life of me get past stage 4, so I think I need a better route for the early part of the stage, and more practice of that, too >_<
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Played a little Gunbird 2 on my nice found tate'd CRT. Thinking of spending some more time with it today. I'm not particularly good at it or anything although I think I could make 1-5 at my best when I was putting time into it. Been a while.

Then I tried Ghost Blade again. Don't judge me.

It is actually playable with the green ship. Frame rate drops aren't too bad but you can hear the DC wheezing as it tried to keep up. It's pretty enough and has a great soundtrack, but it's not entering my top 25 anytime ever.

I know they fixed a lot of this stuff with the Steam update. They should have offered free Steam keys to people who bought the DC version. Might make those people more likely to you know - consider buying their shit in the future.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:Played a little Gunbird 2 on my nice found tate'd CRT. Thinking of spending some more time with it today. I'm not particularly good at it or anything although I think I could make 1-5 at my best when I was putting time into it. Been a while.
1-5 is pretty good, I say. I never made it past 1-4, I don't think...
Also, if you're unaware, the DC version does come with a debug mode that's useful for practicing stages. Just hold start while the game is booting up. If only ZG2 had this feature.
EDIT: nvm, I actually did make it to 1-5 with Marion according to my restart syndrome account. lol.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:
Stevens wrote:Played a little Gunbird 2 on my nice found tate'd CRT. Thinking of spending some more time with it today. I'm not particularly good at it or anything although I think I could make 1-5 at my best when I was putting time into it. Been a while.
1-5 is pretty good, I say. I never made it past 1-4, I don't think...
Also, if you're unaware, the DC version does come with a debug mode that's useful for practicing stages. Just hold start while the game is booting up. If only ZG2 had this feature.
I don't think I was aware of that. Thank you sir. I haven't cleared ZG 2 either, in fact I don't have a Psikyo clear at all.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

I picked up Samurai Aces for the Switch and I love it. With Samurai Aces you can see how it spawned a lot of ideas for the later Psikyo games.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Gunbird 2 on this snowy snowy day.

I guess it is coming back to me. I made it to 1-4 after putting the TV back to yoko. Seemed like I was doing better after that. Not entirely sure though. I've always felt shittier at games with fast bullets.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Gunbird 2 on Dreamcast is playable in Yoko? Isn't there only the questionable rebalanced version or the up-down screen scrolling version? :P

So, I finally cleared Giga Wing 2. It took me a little less than a month, and I wasn't playing quite as many hours as with Triggerheart, so I would estimate 40 - 50 hours, maybe? I'm thinking I might continue with the Sega Naomi theme and get back to Under Defeat, though relearning my routes is gonna be a pain. At least I have replays.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Strangely it is. The up/down version is awful, but the other version works well. Particularly at the distance I sit from the screen.

Tate'd the screen is way too big for the distance I sit. Have the same problem with UD.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:Strangely it is. The up/down version is awful, but the other version works well. Particularly at the distance I sit from the screen.

Tate'd the screen is way too big for the distance I sit. Have the same problem with UD.
I could definitely see that if you've got a big screen. I guess I never really spent too much time with the vertizontal rebalance of GB2, just heard negative things about it. Back when I used to play it on the DC I had the tiniest SDTV ever, so it just made sense to tate. All upside and no downside.

After booting up Under Defeat and playing a few practice runs of stage 1-2, I realized that you can actually start from various points in the stage, which is awesome (The area setting in the menu). That's gonna make the relearning process way easier, especially with how long the stages in UD are.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:
Stevens wrote:Strangely it is. The up/down version is awful, but the other version works well. Particularly at the distance I sit from the screen.

I could definitely see that if you've got a big screen. I guess I never really spent too much time with the vertizontal rebalance of GB2, just heard negative things about it. Back when I used to play it on the DC I had the tiniest SDTV ever, so it just made sense to tate. All upside and no downside.

After booting up Under Defeat and playing a few practice runs of stage 1-2, I realized that you can actually start from various points in the stage, which is awesome (The area setting in the menu). That's gonna make the relearning process way easier, especially with how long the stages in UD are.
The training mode is really good overall, especially for bosses. It will help you a lot. I've used the shit out of that thing.

Which option are you using? I've watched the WR replay - guy uses the vulcan. Which makes sense since all those zako worth double add up over the course of ten stages, at least I think that's what it is.

No desire to learn the game all over again though. That said since I've migrated back to the DC there will probably be some UD at some point this week.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
The training mode is really good overall, especially for bosses. It will help you a lot. I've used the shit out of that thing.

Which option are you using? I've watched the WR replay - guy uses the vulcan. Which makes sense since all those zako worth double add up over the course of ten stages, at least I think that's what it is.

No desire to learn the game all over again though. That said since I've migrated back to the DC there will probably be some UD at some point this week.
I'm just surprised I never realized about the area setting before. Every game should have that!

My routes were designed around the rocket for the most part, but I remember choosing cannon at one point in 1-3 because it seemed to help with the crowd control. Probably will continue doing those. I figure that even if I have forgotten almost everything, It'll come back quicker if I use the same option as I used to. Especially since I have replays.

Ironically, going back to Under Defeat for me means migrating to the Xbox 360 from the Dreamcast. hahaha.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah I suck at fast bullet games. It is official.

Went back to Under Defeat which I may not have fired up in almost a year (probably hasn't been that long) and reached 1-5 after two quick deaths on 1-3.

It's amazing how dying in UD can really jack you in certain areas. Your plan revolves around deploying your option at certain spots. Then you die and have no option and the screen is flooded. Often times a quick bomb is needed to get back on track.

Watched some replays I had saved to remember my routes will certainly play more this weekend.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^I find this to be the case with most small mistakes. For example pressing A before your option is fully charged, not aiming 100% perfectly, etc. It can even be kind of hard to get through a few spots if the item RNG doesn't go your way. I have no idea why this game is considered difficulty 15 by that one jp wiki while Giga Wing 2 is considered difficulty 22, and most crazy, R-Type 1-ALL is considered 18 (I thought this was way easier than Triggerheart Exelica, for example, which is 12 on the list). Anyway, I guess I'll see how I feel once I get the actual clear.

Right now I've basically gotten my stage 1 through stage 3 routes back, if kind of shaky. Stage 4 is real freakin hard. I think I basically have the route back, but it's pretty shaky. I have yet to actually no miss the stage though after quite a few hours of practice, so far. Maybe I should go back to area practice to get things sufficiently drilled into my memory before trying for full stage 4. I'll bet that just the one stage is the length of an entire Psikyo loop, so it's probably overly optimistic to think that I can re-memorize everything in a single day of practice.
1) Create Scoring System
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

T-T-T-T-TURBO FORCE!

I just began playing this game yesterday and it's already clear to me that this game is dumb, but I like it anyways. This game puts every Psikyo first loop to shame and is probably the most difficult Video System game due to absolutely horrific rank and good old RNG silliness. With the right RNG/rank some large enemies in the game become completely indestructible as early as the first stage. Oh boy. You would assume this game would be easier due to its hyper simplistic nature (it's a 1 button game where the button has a single function), but you couldn't be more wrong.

Despite this games nature, I'm still thoroughly enjoying it and recently made it to stage 5. The intro, stage 3, and stage 5 themes really get me pumped to play some cheesy car blasting goodness, brutal design choices or not. The brevity of the stages coupled with solid design makes the pain worth putting up with (at least for now...).
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Square_Air wrote:You would assume this game would be easier due to its hyper simplistic nature (it's a 1 button game where the button has a single function)
That just means you have fewer tools to defend yourself with. :wink:

I haven't been playing much in the way of shmups besides Detana!! TwinBee lately. A bit of TwinBee Yahho! every now and then but not much else really. Bell juggling is quite addicting... I'm getting fairly consistent at the first loop - there are still some problem spots (recovery at the start of stage 6 in particular), but I can get a clear quite regularly. Haven't gotten a run quite as good as the no bell drop run I uploaded to YouTube since, but if I can keep myself together for a while in the second loop, I should be able to claim the forum record for myself (I'm only 20k off as it is).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^I feel like being addicted to bell juggling must be some kind of stockholm syndrome thing.

I did manage to no miss stage 4 after a little bit of time practicing starting at specific areas in UD stage 4, so hurray! Then I tried stage 3 again, and I've already forgotten it apparently :P . I also realized that I never unlocked stage 1-5 practice, so I better do that soon.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Nice work. Keep at it!

Stage five isn't too bad, particularly if you're playing for survival, but it isn't without its share of things that will give you trouble at first.

The opening portion - once the two big tanks come out can get overwhelming real fast and the three flying tanks will be a sore spot. As for the boss - there is a write up in the strategy section that should help you with its 2nd phase.

I am also back playing Under Defeat. I'm playing the 2nd loop on hard in hopes that going for the ALL on default may be a bit easier. I haven't played since the summer but my dodging is noticeably better than the last time I played.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Ketsui: Mr. Stoic ver

Even though I have played the original for years, I can say this is the best version of Ketsui, no doubt. The multiplier stuff and that sound effect can be quite annoying at times (at least for me), and this time you can focus on survival and killing enemies. Big thanks to trap15 as a creator of this hack. :mrgreen:
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

Akashicverse is pretty awesome
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

LordHypnos wrote:^I feel like being addicted to bell juggling must be some kind of stockholm syndrome thing.
I won't lie, it probably is. But I do like to see unique twists on powerup/medalling schemes, even if they are from 30 years ago.
Aldnox wrote:Akashicverse is pretty awesome
It's quite a trip, that game. Was never much a fan of its shield system, though. Also I must have annoyed the hell out of my roommates with the sound of my keyboard as I tried to mash out those attack combos.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Darkhero

Post by Darkhero »

Thunder force III and IV. I've been in a big Sega mood lately.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Well, on the plus side, I seem to have gotten good at stage 2 again, but I pretty much suck at stage 4 again, as well :? Maybe there's only enough room in my brain for one Under Defeat stage at a time.
1) Create Scoring System
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Been playing a bit of R-Type Delta. I've always wanted to put more time into this one, after initially being put off by the slogging checkpoints in Stage 3 (that first one is a doozy...die to a sniper while passing under the thing, and you have to replay that huge almost empty segment at the start). Made it to stage 5, and things certainly pick up. Stage 4's second half, with the maze of stalking mechs and turrets is an intense meat grinder, and stage 5 (though occasionally cheesy feeling when one of the debris rapidly crashes through on top of you) brings a lot classic R-Type spacial reasoning and dodging to the table. Intense stuff.

Was also happy to see the Image Fight Stage 1 Boss attack used by the stage 4 boss. Classic attack.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Tiger Heli. Stage 4 is a motherfucker
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Following Shepardus's mention of it on his top25, I played a few credits of Gun.Smoke, and have reached the middle of Stage 3 so far.
Not gonna lie, the first few credits were very unsetlling. The enemy behavior in regards with your shots is unnerving and sometimes annoying. Even the most minor zako seem like they want to avoid your fire at the last moment, which takes a bit of time getting used to. Also, they can sometimes get behind you if you let them, without you having any way to retaliate. That last remark also applies to the window shooters. The hitboxes on the buildings' edges fel sometimes weird, as Stage 1's second power-up can be a hassle to get for example.

However, once I got the hang of the game's mechanics and got used to its agressive ennemies, I managed to make some decent progress. When you have at least one speed powerup and know how the enemies behave, it is pretty fun! The two bosses I've fought rely a bit too much on the spawned zako to pose a threat and the second one is easier than the first, but they were quite manageable when you learn to approach them only when you have the right window of opportunity.

I'll probably play it a bit more but one thing bothers me a lot in terms of replayability : the startup sequence takes ages and AFAIK can't be skipped at all! Sames goes for the continue countdown, to the point that it is faster to close the game and restart it to play another run.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

So, I've been trying to learn Stage 5 of Under Defeat, and I'm pretty concerned by the boss. Choppy slowdown is really bad, and IDK. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Also the timing of the rocket in stage 5 in general is really precise, so that's gonna be rough as well.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:So, I've been trying to learn Stage 5 of Under Defeat, and I'm pretty concerned by the boss. Choppy slowdown is really bad, and IDK. Hopefully I'll figure it out. Also the timing of the rocket in stage 5 in general is really precise, so that's gonna be rough as well.
I haven't played the 360 version, but that is my understanding of it as well. There is a quite a bit of slowdown that isn't present on the DC. I don't know if it makes it harder or easier.

You'll get it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

So I figured out a few things with the Under Defeat final boss second phase. Notably: the slowdown tends to be constant rather than choppy if you're not too far to either side of the screen, so I can actually benefit from it when dodging the spread pattern rather than being killed by an unexpected speed up. Also, I figured out which guns shoot which attacks on that phase, and I can pretty reliably dodge both the spread and the straight shots. The shot that the middle gun shoots (hard to describe) is the one that I can't dodge, so I can focus on that gun first to minimize the number of bombs I need on that phase.

The final phase has a tricky thing though: I can't figure out how to predict when the big gun is going to fire at me, so occasionally I'll either run into it when moving back and forth underneath it. Also it seems to sometimes fire really soon after the bullet patterns coming from the top of the screen finish, so it'll get me while I'm trying to damage the boss (which you can only do from the bottom middle of the screen) or when I'm trying to rocket it. Further research will be required. The ultra precise timing that the rest of stage 5 demands is still a challenge, as well, but I'll probably get it eventually.

Definitely getting more consistent with stage 4. I just often forget an important detail in my route and get killed. Should probably practice stage 3 some more, as well...
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:The shot that the middle gun shoots (hard to describe) is the one that I can't dodge, so I can focus on that gun first to minimize the number of bombs I need on that phase.
Sounds like you're starting to get a handle on some of the more difficult things the game will throw at you.
Should you need more help with phase two I will leave this here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590&start=30

Last post in the thread.

How are you finding the flying tanks?
LordHypnos wrote: The final phase has a tricky thing though: I can't figure out how to predict when the big gun is going to fire at me, so occasionally I'll either run into it when moving back and forth underneath it. Also it seems to sometimes fire really soon after the bullet patterns coming from the top of the screen finish, so it'll get me while I'm trying to damage the boss (which you can only do from the bottom middle of the screen) or when I'm trying to rocket it. Further research will be required. The ultra precise timing that the rest of stage 5 demands is still a challenge, as well, but I'll probably get it eventually.
Yeah after the cannon loads it is a crap shoot. There isn't too much RNG in UD, but the final boss has a fair amount. The order of the guns in phase two, the bullet spread on the last phase, and the aforementioned timing on the main cannon.

Dealing with the cannon after it loads until it shoots was one of those things that took me a long time to get used to. Didn't really become 2nd nature until well after I cleared it. Haven't played much since the weekend, but 2nd loop on hard is still the goal :D
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
Sounds like you're starting to get a handle on some of the more difficult things the game will throw at you.
Should you need more help with phase two I will leave this here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590&start=30

Last post in the thread.

How are you finding the flying tanks?

Yeah after the cannon loads it is a crap shoot. There isn't too much RNG in UD, but the final boss has a fair amount. The order of the guns in phase two, the bullet spread on the last phase, and the aforementioned timing on the main cannon.

Dealing with the cannon after it loads until it shoots was one of those things that took me a long time to get used to. Didn't really become 2nd nature until well after I cleared it. Haven't played much since the weekend, but 2nd loop on hard is still the goal :D
Wait, so is there a technique to it then? It sounds like you did get the hang of it eventually. Thanks for the ST link. I'll definitely peruse that in the near future. I'm not sure which enemy the flying tanks are, so I don't know that I can answer that.

As for RNG it actually seems like there's a lot. A lot of places you get different patterns from tanks on different playthroughs (actually, I think it might just be random which type of tank spawns). I haven't noticed too much which combinations are harder, but I bet some are. I do usually actually dodge those parts a lot on reflexes, and streaming and stuff, of course (since I think all patterns in these cases are aimed to some extent). Also which option appears first when you kill a carrier enemy seems to be random, and that can be pretty rough, actually, at times. Also there's whether the big turrets in stage 4 shoot the electric pulse or the explosion spread thing. There are probably other things I'm not thinking of. Most of it isn't too bad, though.

Yeah, I think I'm making steady improvement, even if I'm complaining a lot, as well :P
1) Create Scoring System