Diagonal lines on linedoubled composite video DVDO & Extron

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SCARTicus

Diagonal lines on linedoubled composite video DVDO & Extron

Post by SCARTicus »

I like to use my OSSC for all of my RGB capable machines, but I don’t have any way to interface my composite and Svideo only consoles with it.

I have been using a couple of older linedoublers in my attempts to rid myself of large 15KHz displays. The first unit that I tried is the Extron Lancia xi. It accepts SVideo and Composite and outputs VGA. It always deinterlaces, but it works very fast. It is around a single frame of lag. It has an unacceptable amount of jutter that can be somewhat remedied by running it through the OSSC’s scanline filter.

The other unit is the DVDO iScan Plus v2. This machine also accepts only Svideo and Composite, but it has a much better and far less juttery image. 240p is properly detected. Svideo looks very good. Speed is ok but the Extron is faster.

The big problem that I have with both of these machines is that when using a Composite source, the image always has very noticeable diagonal lines running from bottom-left to top-right. It looks like a scanline effect turned 45 degrees. It is like this with every Composite source that I have tried, on both machines. It is less noticeable on dark scenes, but still always quite visible.

Does anyone know the cause of this artefact or a way to rid my signal of it? It never happens on Svideo. There are Composite to Svideo transcoders on Ebay that can be had very cheaply, is that worth a shot?

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thank you.
Blair

Re: Diagonal lines on linedoubled composite video DVDO & Ext

Post by Blair »

it might help if we could see what it looks like either with a shot from a camera or a capture. if you just connect the Iscan plus V2 directly into a display without the OSSC doesn't have the same behavior or is this only when connecting to the OSSC VGA input? sometimes you need to use the advanced timing settings to to get a proper image from the VGA input.

you might also get less jitter with the Lancia if you adjust via the advanced timing settings. it helps to have test patterns. most of my DVDO devices have built-in test patterns for making timing adjustments (checkerboard, vertical line, horizontal line etc.). does the Iscan plus V2?

something else you could try is turning on 480p line2x mode and then enabling up sample 2X on the OSSC. that can sometimes mitigate timing issues without having to manage the adjustments by hand.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

This happens without the OSSC as well as over Component and VGA into the OSSC. It happens on LCDs and CRTs even with the DVDO connected directly to the display. I do not think that the DVDO has test patterns. The only control that i can find is a toggle to determine priority for source auto-switching. I shouldn’t have mentioned the OSSC

Blair

Post by Blair »

looks like some kind of interference. this doesn't happen with S-video sources correct? and both of your line doubling devices are showing this artifact?
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Yes, yes. I don’t think it is interference. Maybe, but I do use a decent, in-spec cable for my NESjr. It also does it on my Snes jr and PSOne over Composite. Svideo from my GC and n64 looks very nice coming out of the DVDO and unartefacted on both linedoublers.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

could be interference from the power supply. Do you have another one on hand to try ? On the iScan you can almost any strong 5V PSU. Also try to connect it to a different outlet.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

PSU was my thoughts exactly, looks similar to what I was starting to see on my Edge.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I had been using a 5v 2amp Roku psu. I just tried with the psu that came with my OSSC and got the same lines.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I am not an electrical engineer, but is it possible that the wall outlet isn't properly grounded? How old is the house/apartment/etc. and/or its wiring?

Would a power conditioner help?
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

The house is less than 10 years old and I use a surge protector. I have had the same issue at other houses and without the surge protector .
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Okay, well, I'm out of ideas. Buy a cheap FC-10.

From what you say, that should (be close to the particular kind of image quality you're getting now and) get rid of your issue.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

There's also the Extron VYC 100 that does video>s-video.. It may suck, but it'so small and cute :P
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I was considering an fc-10 or an Extron ycs-100. Have you used either of these units? I would be happy with the video quality I have now from the DVDO once I grt rid of the diagonal lines. I am worried that they might not do 240p correctly, though
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

That just looks like the NTSC color subcarrier. You can try reducing the sharpness in an attempt to curb the effective bandwidth for the luma channel.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SCARTicus wrote:I was considering an fc-10 or an Extron ycs-100. Have you used either of these units? I would be happy with the video quality I have now from the DVDO once I grt rid of the diagonal lines. I am worried that they might not do 240p correctly, though
I have both of them somewhere. They both handle 240p just fine. Just get the cheapest one you can find.

I didn't think either one had any remarkable advantages, the LD guys won't fight you for them. Should be fine.

There's a possible comb filter rabbit hole here, but I suggest avoiding it entirely.
We apologise for the inconvenience
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I do not have a sharpness control on either doubler or on my Diamondtron display. I have one on my nice LCD monitor, but it is a bit too slow with the DVDO. I will check that display out when I get home from work to see if I can get rid of the artifact with the sharpness control. It is an SF351 with only HDMI inputs, so I will have to route it through the OSSC, if that matters.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I have an extra Extron YCS. Wouldn't want much more than shipping cost for it.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Steamflogger PM me
strygo

Post by strygo »

You don't happen to have a PS3 connected to the same outlet as these do you?

I spent hours on end wrestling with interference when connecting my XPC-4 to my LCD. It turned out to be a ground issue related to my PS3. I moved my PS3 to a different outlet and the interference went away.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

No I dont have a PS3